UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AspiringAcademic

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Postby AspiringAcademic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:56 am

Emma. wrote: [snip]
But seriously, I think Xifeng has it right. UChicago is great at throwing the full weight of its faculty support behind promising students, and as a Rubenstein you'll probably be presumed to be one of those right from the start. That doens't mean a Rubenstein is necessary to get that kind of support though. Basically all the students that do well 1L year will have a ton of support if they are applying for clerkships and whatnot, and even if you aren't one of the top students it is really easy to find members of the faculty who are interested in mentoring.

I think this is more or less right. Lots of faculty have open door policies, so anyone can build good relationships early on. But Rubies get an added push from the get-go. Also, my mentor has fed me a few times and the free food aspect of a mentoring relationship should not be overlooked.

If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Emma. wrote:There's this amazing Rubenstein Scholar's Lounge. It is under the Reflecting Pool, but you access it through a secret tunnel in the basement (just opposite the Law Review office). It is full of couches, theres a full bar, and Epstein and Coase pretty much just hang out there all day in case Rubenstein Scholars want to stop by for a chat. It is paneled in mahogany and there are many leatherbound books.

FYI Academy Award Winner JLaw is a Ruby!*

*Obviously false.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Confession: When I first heard of rubies I thought they were named after Arthur Rubinstein. The truth was disappointing.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Whoever @dat1L is, please stop or at least tone it down a bit. You're ruining one of the few bright spots in my life.

Okay, now it's gotten out of hand. @twiqballer, if you've never even fucking been to Over The Hump, you can't have a "Me at Over The Hump" entry. I know you enjoy seeing your own anonymous account being credited with something, but you're screwing this shit up.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:Whoever @dat1L is, please stop or at least tone it down a bit. You're ruining one of the few bright spots in my life.

Okay, now it's gotten out of hand. @twiqballer, if you've never even fucking been to Over The Hump, you can't have a "Me at Over The Hump" entry. I know you enjoy seeing your own anonymous account being credited with something, but you're screwing this shit up.

chill

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Smumps wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:

chill

Sup twiqballer

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:

did you just quote yourself?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Stop getting bent out of shape about uchilawgo. It's just some tumblr blog.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Apologies. Outlining is making me cranky. Carry on.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Apologies. Outlining is making me cranky. Carry on.

Gunner.

dat1L is a little out of hand though.

LSTfan

Postby LSTfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Last edited by LSTfan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:58 pm

PSA: all 1Ls should go to that Quinn reception (even if you're not interested in lit). The food is amazing, you don't have to suit up, the associates/partners are cool, and the food is amazing. And the people I know who got offers were glad to have them pre-OCI (it calms the nerves).

And no, I don't work there :lol:

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Xifeng wrote:PSA: all 1Ls should go to that Quinn reception (even if you're not interested in lit). The food is amazing, you don't have to suit up, the associates/partners are cool, and the food is amazing. And the people I know who got offers were glad to have them pre-OCI (it calms the nerves).

Plus...

Oceans Rise, Cities Fall, QUINN REMAINS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Xifeng wrote:PSA: all 1Ls should go to that Quinn reception (even if you're not interested in lit). The food is amazing, you don't have to suit up, the associates/partners are cool, and the food is amazing. And the people I know who got offers were glad to have them pre-OCI (it calms the nerves).

And you'll get to interact with NUers. I know it gets tiring hanging out with purely UChiers and their lack of social skills. :wink:

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm

bk1 wrote:

And you'll get to interact with NUers. I know it gets tiring hanging out with purely UChiers and their lack of social skills. :wink:

Y'all were the weirded suited-up gunners at last year's reception, don't hate :lol:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Xifeng wrote:Y'all were the weirded suited-up gunners at last year's reception, don't hate :lol:

It's true. Though looking at this year's crop of NU 1Ls, it's probably getting worse. :oops:

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:38 pm

bk1 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Y'all were the weirded suited-up gunners at last year's reception, don't hate :lol:

It's true. Though looking at this year's crop of NU 1Ls, it's probably getting worse. :oops:

...don't count our aspie 1Ls out quite yet :lol:

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am

I met some NU 1Ls a firm reception in December. They wearing suits while doing their best to "network", and when they left their beers were still half-full on the table.

LSTfan

Postby LSTfan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 am

Last edited by LSTfan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graystone

Postby Graystone » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 am

Postby 2014 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:37 am

I'm suiting up for the Quinnception, there's nothing you guys can do to stop me

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am

2014 wrote:I'm suiting up for the Quinnception, there's nothing you guys can do to stop me

You're the worst. Only chill casual bros are granted a Quinnterview.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:41 am

2014 wrote:I'm suiting up for the Quinnception, there's nothing you guys can do to stop me

They made fun of people who did, to their face and not :lol:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:41 pm

2014 wrote:Quinnception

It's where they try and plant the idea in your subconscious that working at Quinn is cool and casual. I'm not even sure Leo DiCaprio could pull that off.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Xifeng wrote:

They made fun of people who did, to their face and not :lol:

I can confirm this. If you wear a suit, regardless of how many others do, you will be ridiculed by the Quinntuplets.

People who wear suits and are too socially aggressive really don't understand what the reception's function is. Despite how highly you think of yourself, they will not offer you a job on the spot for your firm handshake. I'd be surprised if anyone you talk to even remembers you, if you get a Quinnterview.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”