2014 wrote:holacicas wrote:badaboom61 wrote:holacicas wrote:Hi. I just got accepted RD '16 and I can't wait to visit Chicago!
I'm still waiting for other schools with possible $$, but was wondering if there is any way I could ask them for some funding...
My numbers aren't that great (LSA/GPA both around median) and have a few years of work experience, so realistically I'm not expecting a merit-based funding. However, my family got hit hard by Sandy on Long Island so I'm in a difficult situation to start school this Fall (may even defer matriculation for a year).. Do you guys think that there is any possibility that they could offer even a small amount of funding?
Let me know what you guys think! thanks!
Congrats. They will make initial scholarship offers at some point, I think it was like March for us, so wait and see if you get anything then. They are willing to negotiate; they upped my award from zero to 30k after I told them about a competing offer, but that wasn't until late April.
I think you can also apply for need based aid, but that might be a black hole, I don't have much experience.
Thanks! but how important is having a competing offer? do i have to have one or is it just one of the many reasons why I might ask for a fund?
I went from $0 to $30k off of the WL with no competing offers. My request was similar to yours sounds like i.e. "I recognize I'm in a bad bargaining position here, but given the choice between attending at full price and waiting a year to earn funds to put myself in a better financial position, I am strongly inclined to wait a year. Please reconsider my (lack of) merit aid offer"
You need to wait until you get theirs and any other schools original offer first though. If you are close to both medians meaning close to 3.9/171, you will have other offers to show them if you appropriately applied broadly.
Thanks! btw is it 30k total for 3yrs or 30k/yr?