UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ellewoods110

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby ellewoods110 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 pm

cranberry wrote:As a 3L, an I allowed to ask a question? :D Any UChi tax folks have thoughts on a non-math person taking intro to income tax and taxation of corporations at the same time? I liked business associations a lot, fwiw. Just feel like I should get some tax classes in before I graduate, and if I don't take both next quarter I can't take the tax class offered in spring.

Thanks!

Intro to Income Tax was basic multiplication and addition/subtraction. Shouldn't be a problem.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 pm

There's not that much math in tax, and IMO, there's more math in intro than corporate. I also didn't think intro was strictly necessary for corporate. Weisbach is kind of in his own little world and will find ways to confuse you regardless. I'm biased as a tax geek, but I thought I got a ton out of that class.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:17 pm

thanks guys, i think i will do both. i haven't taken math since 11th grade (!!) but i had good grades at the time, and tested out of the req in college... i've taken up to calculus. if it's just calculator-ready stuff i can probably handle it.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Can anyone tell me about the multi-disciplinary/cross listed courses? How do students take advantage of that? I am assuming it is for 2L/3L's? Are the courses actually at the law school or at different areas of the university?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Br3v wrote:Can anyone tell me about the multi-disciplinary/cross listed courses? How do students take advantage of that? I am assuming it is for 2L/3L's? Are the courses actually at the law school or at different areas of the university?

The law school offers a number of courses that would otherwise be in different departments, such as corporate finance. These are treated like any other law school course.

As a 2L and 3L you have the option to enroll in up to 4 classes taught by other departments / not at the law school. The law school technically has to approve them, but they'll approve pretty much any graduate / professional course or undergrad language course. These appear on your transcript but don't factor into your law school GPA.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Br3v wrote:Can anyone tell me about the multi-disciplinary/cross listed courses? How do students take advantage of that? I am assuming it is for 2L/3L's? Are the courses actually at the law school or at different areas of the university?

My cross-listed class was on the main campus with almost all non-law students, and my "across-the-midway" class (not a cross-listed one) is an undergrad one in the language building.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 am

badaboom61 wrote:
As a 2L and 3L you have the option to enroll in up to 4 classes taught by other departments / not at the law school. The law school technically has to approve them, but they'll approve pretty much any graduate / professional course or undergrad language course. These appear on your transcript but don't factor into your law school GPA.

To be clear, you can actually take more, but only 4 count toward the law degree. Just saying.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Can someone comfort me about Hyde Park?

I am actually not a nightlife person so that's not important to me at all. But is it really a dump like many TLS'ers seem to imply?

I was going to fly out and visit but my schedule won't permit it anymore.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:43 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Can someone comfort me about Hyde Park?

I am actually not a nightlife person so that's not important to me at all. But is it really a dump like many TLS'ers seem to imply?

I really like Hyde Park. There are a lot of nice apartment buildings, there are enough restaurants around that I like, there's a ton of stuff to do on campus if you seek it out, and downtown is easily accessible by the 2/6/X28 buses when you want to do city things. I plan on living here all 3 years. I work on campus and like being close, though, and I don't mind not having bars or tons of entertainment around.

If you don't like Hyde Park, plenty of law students live downtown in more exciting places.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 pm

it's not dumpy, just kind of barren and sad. it is quiet down here though; i never feel conflicted about coming home at five and staying in all night to study. there's not much going on. it's the best place to be for 1L. you'll know after a year whether you want to move up north or not.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 am

Just a 1L, but I've loved it so far. I'm living in Regents and there are always people getting together here to hang out or go downtown. There's never a lack of options on the weekend or anything like that. As far as it being a dump? Regents is as nice as, if not nicer than, the dorms at NYU. I can't speak to Columbia because I never visited their housing, but I can't imagine anything in NYC being all that much better. The biggest reason that Hyde Park gets its reputation for being a dump is the lack of nightlife, which is warranted, but more than bearable when downtown is a 15 minute bus ride away.

ringo

Postby ringo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Greenandgold wrote:

Just a 1L, but I've loved it so far. I'm living in Regents and there are always people getting together here to hang out or go downtown. There's never a lack of options on the weekend or anything like that. As far as it being a dump? Regents is as nice as, if not nicer than, the dorms at NYU. I can't speak to Columbia because I never visited their housing, but I can't imagine anything in NYC being all that much better. The biggest reason that Hyde Park gets its reputation for being a dump is the lack of nightlife, which is warranted, but more than bearable when downtown is a 15 minute bus ride away.

+1 to all this. I had the same fears you did about HP being a dump and I was really surprised at how nice it is.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm

ringo wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:

+1 to all this. I had the same fears you did about HP being a dump and I was really surprised at how nice it is.

All of this, and Hyde Park is very cheap compared to NYC housing prices.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:29 am

Xifeng wrote:
ringo wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:

All of this, and Hyde Park is very cheap compared to NYC housing prices.

True, but so is pretty much every neighborhood in the country. A 1 BR in Regents costs about $1200 / mo in base rent, although that's on the pricey side for Hyde Park. But I could find a comparable place in the suburb I grew up in for less than half of that.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am

badaboom, not really sure what your point is... Is there a top 6 law school in the suburb you grew up in? I think the point is that a lot of times people are choosing between UChi, NYU, and Columbia.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:47 am

seanPtheB wrote:badaboom, not really sure what your point is... Is there a top 6 law school in the suburb you grew up in? I think the point is that a lot of times people are choosing between UChi, NYU, and Columbia.

My point is mostly that the rent wont seem "cheap" to people coming from most places in America. But yes, compared to other top law schools, rent here is a bargain.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah, rent is expensive for a 1-bedroom in Regents. If you live like a student and either get a 2-bedroom with a roommate, or a 1-bedroom not in Regents, it gets a lot more affordable.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah, rent is expensive for a 1-bedroom in Regents. If you live like a student and either get a 2-bedroom with a roommate, or a 1-bedroom not in Regents, it gets a lot more affordable.

Exactly... I'm in a 3-bedroom in Regents and my rent is under $700. You won't be getting anywhere close to that in NY.

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah, rent is expensive for a 1-bedroom in Regents. If you live like a student and either get a 2-bedroom with a roommate, or a 1-bedroom not in Regents, it gets a lot more affordable.

+1. Pretty nice studio in grad housing for 788 with all utilities included, super close to Treasure Island. Could never have gotten as a nice a place for the money in NYC.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Greenandgold wrote:

+1

The only bad part of Regents is living with Greenandgold.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm

living in regents is like living in a luxury condo in east new york. real new yorkers would live on a bench on the west side of washington square park with the ghost of the timekeeper before they'd move to east new york.

and it's not a "15 minute bus ride." it's at least 25 minutes and the 6 bus is crowded as hell and filthy.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Greenandgold wrote:Exactly... I'm in a 3-bedroom in Regents and my rent is under $700. You won't be getting anywhere close to that in NY.

redbullvodka wrote:+1. Pretty nice studio in grad housing for 788 with all utilities included, super close to Treasure Island. Could never have gotten as a nice a place for the money in NYC.

you can easily get rent that cheap in east williamsburg and bushwick if you're willing to do a share. and the subway goes there.

are you guys even from new york?

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm

What a pleasant individual

tamereth

Postby tamereth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm

cranberry wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:Exactly... I'm in a 3-bedroom in Regents and my rent is under $700. You won't be getting anywhere close to that in NY.

redbullvodka wrote:+1. Pretty nice studio in grad housing for 788 with all utilities included, super close to Treasure Island. Could never have gotten as a nice a place for the money in NYC.

you can easily get rent that cheap in east williamsburg and bushwick if you're willing to do a share. and the subway goes there.

Ok. So. I think it's safe to say that there's good things about whichever city you choose to live in. Hyde Park isn't a shithole, but not everyone enjoys it. This is mostly due to wanting to go out, eat out, etc. Luckily you can also choose to live in the loop and commute, if you really want to be closer to downtown life. I wouldn't worry too much about housing costs versus other schools in other cities (it's like a droplet in the debt bucket). Plus, if you like the school, you'll probably just suck it up and go regardless.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:41 pm

cranberry wrote:

Thats a big qualification

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”