UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Haymarket

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Xifeng wrote:And while I'm making informational posts: for posterity, 1L grades were due July 5 and all except CLI were released by then (core classes all that day, some electives before, and CLI was released the following Monday). And K&E appears to be today.

Future generations of neurotic people will thank you.

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

When do the law review invites go out? Next Monday? Two years ago, the calls went out the day they were scheduled to go out, but last year the calls went out two days early (on Saturday, July 23, instead of Monday).

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:10 pm

A-Cow-Demia wrote:When do the law review invites go out? Next Monday? Two years ago, the calls went out the day they were scheduled to go out, but last year the calls went out two days early (on Saturday, July 23, instead of Monday).

The official date is Monday the 23nd for Law Review and the 23rd or 24th for secondaries. I'm sure people are hoping for the earlier release though.
Last edited by Haymarket on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Haymarket wrote:
A-Cow-Demia wrote:When do the law review invites go out? Next Monday? Two years ago, the calls went out the day they were scheduled to go out, but last year the calls went out two days early (on Saturday, July 23, instead of Monday).

The official date is Monday the 22nd for Law Review and the 23rd or 24th for secondaries. I'm sure people are hoping for the earlier release though.

Sunday the 22nd. Hth

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

The official date is Monday the 22nd for Law Review and the 23rd or 24th for secondaries. I'm sure people are hoping for the earlier release though.

Sunday the 22nd. Hth

It was actually the number that was off. The "official" release date is Monday the 23rd. Check.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

Sunday the 22nd. Hth

It was actually the number that was off. The "official" release date is Monday the 23rd. Check.

tl;dr

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Law review calls apparently went out yesterday. Congrats to those who made it; condolences to those who didn't. Though perhaps it should be the other way around...

It sounds like the rumor was true: the law review accepted something like six additional staffers this year. The administration always gets its way. Good luck to those waiting to hear from other journals.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:26 pm

A-Cow-Demia wrote:Law review calls apparently went out yesterday. Congrats to those who made it; condolences to those who didn't. Though perhaps it should be the other way around...

It sounds like the rumor was true: the law review accepted something like six additional staffers this year. The administration always gets its way. Good luck to those waiting to hear from other journals.

Really? 36 2L staffers?

A-Cow-Demia

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Something like 36. The number might include those who are doing joint degrees and deferred their law review membership from last year.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:51 am

Can any rising 3Ls or greater tell us when we can expect the class schedules to come out? I mean, I know we don't register until right in the middle of OCI (sick bastards), but I was curious how much time before then I will have to put together a nice schedule for myself. I would assume, in true Chicago fashion, that we get them the day of and have to pick our classes by throwing darts at a board.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:21 am

So how is everyone feeling about this?

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... ment-form/

is it accurate?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

catholicgirl wrote:So how is everyone feeling about this?

is it accurate?

We have no clue what is going on in the admissions office. Is it accurate? Well, it is the internet. And I would be pretty skeptical when some unknown blog talks about an anonymous LSAT superstar who is getting these SHOCKING results.

This is definitely not some kind of giant red flag that Chicago or these other schools are "in trouble". This has all the markings of a sensationalist, paranoid law school tabloid blog that is looking to find a scandal even where there is none.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:45 am

Haymarket wrote:

is it accurate?

We have no clue what is going on in the admissions office. Is it accurate? Well, it is the internet. And I would be pretty skeptical when some unknown blog talks about an anonymous LSAT superstar who is getting these SHOCKING results.

This is definitely not some kind of giant red flag that Chicago or these other schools are "in trouble". This has all the markings of a sensationalist, paranoid law school tabloid blog that is looking to find a scandal even where there is none.

Yeah. I usually really like Paul Campos but today's entry seemed a little "sensationalist"

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

is it accurate?

Yeah. I usually really like Paul Campos but today's entry seemed a little "sensationalist"

I didn't even realize it was Paul Campos. In that case, absolutely disregard it.

Paul Campos is a hack, honestly. And you'll get to go to school with the professor that outed him. Sometimes you just have to love Brian Leiter.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... mprof.html

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Holy.shit. Brian Leiter does not like him.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:53 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Holy.shit. Brian Leiter does not like him.

Well, the ScamProf blog was so asinine that he deserved everything. He really is just trying to get attention for himself while sucking at his job and bad-mouthing his colleagues. Don't believe anything Paul Campos says.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Haymarket wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:Holy.shit. Brian Leiter does not like him.

Well, the ScamProf blog was so asinine that he deserved everything. He really is just trying to get attention for himself while sucking at his job and bad-mouthing his colleagues. Don't believe anything Paul Campos says.

Eh. I didn't read his earlier stuff before he was outed, which looks to be super fing nuts. I think it's like any other scam blog, you need to take what they're writing with a grain of salt.

ETA: Leiter is hysterical. I think I love him.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm not even sure what the issue would be if Campos' account was perfectly accurate. So Chicago gets a call from a 4.0/180 type and says "Eh, we can make an exception for you" and indicates a huge problem?

Not exactly like they're sending out the apply now, automatic full-ride with 163+ emails.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:12 pm

is it accurate?

I'm not that concerned that Chicago was willing to make an exception for a student with great credentials, and I'm a little confused that a purported critic of the legal system is criticizing a school for not being an unbearable stickler overly obsessed with arbitrary rules and deadlines.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

is it accurate?

I'm not that concerned that Chicago was willing to make an exception for a student with great credentials, and I'm a little confused that a purported critic of the legal system is criticizing a school for not being an unbearable stickler overly obsessed with arbitrary rules and deadlines.

I agree. I don't really understand how he's taking some pretty ambiguous (and unverified) point and making it into a sure sign that these schools are desperate. The answer to why he's doing it is obvious.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 am

Haymarket wrote:Can any rising 3Ls or greater tell us when we can expect the class schedules to come out? I mean, I know we don't register until right in the middle of OCI (sick bastards), but I was curious how much time before then I will have to put together a nice schedule for myself. I would assume, in true Chicago fashion, that we get them the day of and have to pick our classes by throwing darts at a board.

Question superseded by email.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks for the link to Leiter shitstomping Campos, definitely a worthwhile read :lol:

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Looking at Thanksgiving flights, is there a full day of classes that everyone goes to on Wednesday of that week or would I be fine to fly out that afternoon and not feel like I completely screwed myself?

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 pm

2014 wrote:Looking at Thanksgiving flights, is there a full day of classes that everyone goes to on Wednesday of that week or would I be fine to fly out that afternoon and not feel like I completely screwed myself?

We don't have class on Wednesday according to the academic calendar.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 pm

2014 wrote:Looking at Thanksgiving flights, is there a full day of classes that everyone goes to on Wednesday of that week or would I be fine to fly out that afternoon and not feel like I completely screwed myself?

Unless the calendar has changed this year, we have W, Th, & F off for Thanksgiving. Plenty of people fly home on Tues night, and some people will end up blowing off their M & Tu classes to take a whole week off.

The academic calendar should be posted on the website.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”