UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
WhatSarahSaid

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:07 pm

redbullvodka wrote:Other 1Ls/2Ls agree with this re: safety?

Edit: I'm male.

If you plan on walking home at night, I'd agree.

http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/woodlawn (sample size alert, but I think it's somewhat useful)

(in the interest of fairness, http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/hydepark)

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:

http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/woodlawn (sample size alert, but I think it's somewhat useful)

Thanks for the help! My other preferences were much farther east and around 54-56th street. I imagine these are safer options, albeit about $100/month more expensive on average.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 pm

redbullvodka wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

Thanks for the help! My other preferences were much farther east and around 54-56th street. I imagine these are safer options, albeit about $100/month more expensive on average.

I know they both don't look great at first glance, but 10 blocks north or east makes a world of difference. You can see the difference in the number of shootings reported on those different maps. There are none in Hyde Park but plenty south of there. In my opinion, it's worth it to not have to maintain hypervigilance every night.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:26 pm

Haymarket wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:
WhatSarahSaid wrote:

I know they both don't look great at first glance, but 10 blocks north or east makes a world of difference. You can see the difference in the number of shootings reported on those different maps. There are none in Hyde Park but plenty south of there. In my opinion, it's worth it to not have to maintain hypervigilance every night.

Agreed. Also, you want to live within easy walking distance of Regents because that's where people will do a lot of shit (like parties and shit) and the Hyde Park buses stop running at like 6pm. I live about as far from Regents as I think a 1L in Hyde Park would want to, and you'd be about 8 blocks further away than me.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:45 pm

So did anyone else have a little difficulty with the administration at Regents?

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:36 pm

catholicgirl wrote:So did anyone else have a little difficulty with the administration at Regents?

+1 to that avatar

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:22 pm

redbullvodka wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:So did anyone else have a little difficulty with the administration at Regents?

+1 to that avatar

I aspire to run my own mildly competent spy agency.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 pm

You mean in applying?

They are extremely unresponsive. They don't reply to emails or phone messages and it can take several days longer for them to do whatever they say they will do. Eventually they get it all taken care of, but it takes a lot of prodding :S

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 am

2014 wrote:

You mean in applying?

They are extremely unresponsive. They don't reply to emails or phone messages and it can take several days longer for them to do whatever they say they will do. Eventually they get it all taken care of, but it takes a lot of prodding :S

This is exactly what I have experienced. I finally got everything sorted out and set up to reserve a specific unit, it just took about 10 more phone calls than one would have expected. You just have to continue to pester them, and if you are working with one of the leasing agents and call when they're not there, don't bother to leave a message. Just ask when they expect that person to be back and call back then. Like 2014 said, messages will not be responded to. I do have to say that everyone I have spoken with there is extremely friendly, they just seem a bit out of it/lazy/inept at times.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 am

seanPtheB wrote:
2014 wrote:

You mean in applying?

This is exactly what I have experienced. I finally got everything sorted out and set up to reserve a specific unit, it just took about 10 more phone calls than one would have expected. You just have to continue to pester them, and if you are working with one of the leasing agents and call when they're not there, don't bother to leave a message. Just ask when they expect that person to be back and call back then. Like 2014 said, messages will not be responded to. I do have to say that everyone I have spoken with there is extremely friendly, they just seem a bit out of it/lazy/inept at times.

I'm just terrified I'm going to show up at the start of my lease date and they're going to say "Really, you're supposed to live here? We have no record of you"

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:15 am

catholicgirl wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
2014 wrote:

You mean in applying?

I'm just terrified I'm going to show up at the start of my lease date and they're going to say "Really, you're supposed to live here? We have no record of you"

Haha sad to say that wouldn't surprise me that much.

Postby 2014 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 am

catholicgirl wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
2014 wrote:

You mean in applying?

The one thing they have going for them is at least their little online lease signing thing that automatically emails you confirmation, so at least that shouldn't be a concern :P

redbullvodka

Postby redbullvodka » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:01 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:

+1 to that avatar

Have to find a nice Indian drycleaner, that's the first step.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 am

redbullvodka wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:

+1 to that avatar

Have to find a nice Indian drycleaner, that's the first step.

He was useless. That's why I had to replace him with Pop Eye.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:11 am

Asked this in a different thread but was directed here- How tight is the group around median? Basically what is the grade range where you would consider yourself "right around median", and what percentage of the class would that include?

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:50 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Asked this in a different thread but was directed here- How tight is the group around median? Basically what is the grade range where you would consider yourself "right around median", and what percentage of the class would that include?

They never tell us how the curve works.

I would consider 176-178 around median.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Flash wrote:
StrictlyBusiness wrote:Asked this in a different thread but was directed here- How tight is the group around median? Basically what is the grade range where you would consider yourself "right around median", and what percentage of the class would that include?

This is accurate. The only thing we know about the curve is that 177 is the median and every year people have a vague idea of what top 10% is based on who grades on to Law Review. Top 10% is usually somewhere between 179.5 and 180.5.

Based on that, the best guess you can make (with a normal curve, possibly a dubious assumption) is that the 176-178 range is about the middle third of the class with 1/3 above 178 and 1/3 below 176. Still, it's a rough estimate and I imagine people generally look at is as "median-ish".

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Flash wrote:

This is accurate. The only thing we know about the curve is that 177 is the median and every year people have a vague idea of what top 10% is based on who grades on to Law Review. Top 10% is usually somewhere between 179.5 and 180.5.

Based on that, the best guess you can make (with a normal curve, possibly a dubious assumption) is that the 176-178 range is about the middle third of the class with 1/3 above 178 and 1/3 below 176. Still, it's a rough estimate and I imagine people generally look at is as "median-ish".

What about the cutoffs on the transcript (179, 180.5, 182)?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
What about the cutoffs on the transcript (179, 180.5, 182)?

Those are on the transcripts, yes, but they denote the different grade cutoffs for honors at graduation and the percent of each class that historically gets them (e.g. I think Highest Honors is something like 0.4%).

The problem with those honors cut offs as proxies for estimating class rank is just what I said, they are for graduation. Because of that, they account for more classes people have taken over time. Putting aside the changes in available grade medians for classes (things like seminars are not required to stick to 177 median), the addition of transfers and their (usually inflated) grades and changes in behavior, the increased sample size narrows the curve and reduces the standard deviation in a way that is misleading. As a result, the numbers on the transcript will tend to skew the cut offs for a range if it is applied to a class after 1L year. It's highly unlikely that a 180.5 represents the top 3.8% of the 1L class (though not impossible, granted).

So, in short, those numbers aren't perfectly reliable.

EDIT: I also see that the person who asked this has answered questions in Legal Employment, in which case, if they are not an incoming Chicago 1L, I regret spending time answering it and wonder why they are in here asking.

Postby 2014 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am

I appreciate the answer even if I didn't ask it :P

uchi12

Postby uchi12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:03 am

I just lurked around the UChicago OCI threads, and things looked pretty grim.

Are those not getting jobs simply an outspoken minority, or are people at/slightly above median really struggling to find employment through OCI?

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

I'll let the actual 2L/3Ls give opinions, but don't know if you saw this thread which paints a more optimistic picture going forward.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=187451

uchi12

Postby uchi12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 pm

I've seen it. But I'm not sure how URMs or people with hard science degrees gunning for IP influenced those numbers.

Let me rephrase:

How is your average joe (non-urm, liberal arts major, no WE) with median grades fairing at OCI?

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 pm

uchi12 wrote:I just lurked around the UChicago OCI threads, and things looked pretty grim.

Are those not getting jobs simply an outspoken minority, or are people at/slightly above median really struggling to find employment through OCI?

If you think employments prospects are too grim coming out of UChi, go to Yale or don't go to law school.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 pm

uchi12 wrote:
I just lurked around the UChicago OCI threads, and things looked pretty grim.

If you think employments prospects are too grim coming out of UChi, go to Yale or don't go to law school.

Never was your avatar more pertinent, TempSaint. Having less than 50 posts always raises a troll flag IMO.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”