UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 pm

yeah, there's extra room in the book budget and transportation budget. I think I spent like $400 total on books this entire year.

But the credited response is, don't live in a studio. Get a two-bedroom and a roommate.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Just assumed that finding a roommate was easier said than done at this stage of the game :P, thanks for the advice all and I'm gonna PM you Xifeng

Eta: Is it abnormal to have a studio or 1BR? Do most people find roommates?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 pm

2014 wrote:Just assumed that finding a roommate was easier said than done at this stage of the game :P, thanks for the advice all and I'm gonna PM you Xifeng

Eta: Is it abnormal to have a studio or 1BR? Do most people find roommates?

I know plenty of people with their own places and plenty of people with roommates. Neither is abnormal.

And I found a roommate in September, you should be able to find one in June. :P

uchi2015
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby uchi2015 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Nvm
Last edited by uchi2015 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

uchi12
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby uchi12 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:04 pm

I just got my email address and CNET id and I'm looking to forward my @uchicago emails to an old gmail account (so I can look at/respond to them via my smartphone).

When I try to send a forwarding request to the @uchicago.edu email, the request is automatically filtered and I can't confirm it. Anyone else had trouble with this? How did you get around it?

ringo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby ringo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:34 pm

uchi12 wrote:I just got my email address and CNET id and I'm looking to forward my @uchicago emails to an old gmail account (so I can look at/respond to them via my smartphone).

When I try to send a forwarding request to the @uchicago.edu email, the request is automatically filtered and I can't confirm it. Anyone else had trouble with this? How did you get around it?


Not sure what you mean about the request being automatically filtered, but it took about 24 hours before I was able to receive mail at my uchicago address, even though I could sign into my account. Give it a day.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

Just curious how does the timing for summer jobs work on the quarter system? If you SA you would be starting almost a month after SAs from other schools so do you make up those weeks at the end after the other schools have left?

And I guess its relevant for 1L summer too, did any of you run into any challenges or hesitancy to hire you since you wouldn't be available until later than other applicants?

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 pm

2014 wrote:Just curious how does the timing for summer jobs work on the quarter system? If you SA you would be starting almost a month after SAs from other schools so do you make up those weeks at the end after the other schools have left?

And I guess its relevant for 1L summer too, did any of you run into any challenges or hesitancy to hire you since you wouldn't be available until later than other applicants?


2Ls and 3Ls finish with exams a bit earlier than 1Ls. Also, some people structure their classes so that they don't have to take any exams Spring quarter, so start even earlier.

In general, your job will just have to be flexible. There are some places, especially ones that do six week programs starting in mid May, that won't consider you if you're going to miss several weeks. But in general this isn't a huge issue for students. It's more of a problem 1L summer, but most people are doing PI or government jobs anyway and those are usually more flexible.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Flash » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Emma. wrote:Even a good faith effort (not a high standard) should get you a 178. .

This statement is complete and utter bullshit.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Flash wrote:
Emma. wrote:Even a good faith effort (not a high standard) should get you a 178. .

This statement is complete and utter bullshit.

Seriously. Talking to 2Ls and 3Ls it seems like the LRW instructors this year spread the curve more than in previous years.

Edit: Unless Emma was talking in the normative sense, i.e. in a just system a good faith effort should get you a 178. I agree with that sentiment.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Is the Glass Menagerie picture supposed to be pre-cropped when you send it in, or do they do all the cropping for you?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Flash wrote:
Emma. wrote:Even a good faith effort (not a high standard) should get you a 178. .

This statement is complete and utter bullshit.

Seriously. Talking to 2Ls and 3Ls it seems like the LRW instructors this year spread the curve more than in previous years.

Edit: Unless Emma was talking in the normative sense, i.e. in a just system a good faith effort should get you a 178. I agree with that sentiment.


I guess you guys just got grades? I was intending that in a positive sense, but I guess if things have changed for you guys then speaking normatively I'd also say that a goodfaith effort should get you a 178.

Last year it seemed like you'd only end up below median in LRW if you really didn't give a shit, skipped classes, etc.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah, we just got LRW grades. Unfortunately, we seem to be operating under a different set of rules than y'all. :(

A-Cow-Demia
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Aside from LRW, do 1Ls have grades yet? Congrats on finishing and good luck! I'm around and willing to answer questions from soon-to-be 1Ls about Chicago or from soon-to-be 2Ls and 3Ls about OCI, clerkship hiring, etc.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:29 pm

A-Cow-Demia wrote:Aside from LRW, do 1Ls have grades yet? Congrats on finishing and good luck! I'm around and willing to answer questions from soon-to-be 1Ls about Chicago or from soon-to-be 2Ls and 3Ls about OCI, clerkship hiring, etc.

Grades are due July 5. At least one elective grade is out (and I hear another elective is out as well). That's it, though.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
A-Cow-Demia wrote:Aside from LRW, do 1Ls have grades yet? Congrats on finishing and good luck! I'm around and willing to answer questions from soon-to-be 1Ls about Chicago or from soon-to-be 2Ls and 3Ls about OCI, clerkship hiring, etc.

Grades are due July 5. At least one elective grade is out (and I hear another elective is out as well). That's it, though.


Pretty sure 3 elective grades are out. Do not want grades.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 am

Flash wrote:
Emma. wrote:Even a good faith effort (not a high standard) should get you a 178. .

This statement is complete and utter bullshit.

Tried to warn you guys. :)

LRW is a blotch that shows up on my transcript 3 times.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Flash » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Image

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Hey guys, good luck to everyone as those grades trickle out.

Quick question: Are there are any professors (specifically 1L profs) that don't allow laptops for taking notes? My hand writing is so embarrassingly bad please say no.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys, good luck to everyone as those grades trickle out.

Quick question: Are there are any professors (specifically 1L profs) that don't allow laptops for taking notes? My hand writing is so embarrassingly bad please say no.

I don't think any 1L profs banned laptops this year. The law school doesn't have wireless in the classrooms (although some leaks in occasionally), so I doubt our profs consider laptops as problematic as those at other law schools.

Oh yeah, some of my advice for incoming students: learn to love solitaire/freecell/minesweeper. Spider solitaire and freecell got me through 1L.

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby seanPtheB » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys, good luck to everyone as those grades trickle out.

Quick question: Are there are any professors (specifically 1L profs) that don't allow laptops for taking notes? My hand writing is so embarrassingly bad please say no.

I don't think any 1L profs banned laptops this year. The law school doesn't have wireless in the classrooms (although some leaks in occasionally), so I doubt our profs consider laptops as problematic as those at other law schools.

Oh yeah, some of my advice for incoming students: learn to love solitaire/freecell/minesweeper. Spider solitaire and freecell got me through 1L.


Haha awesome, advice duly noted.

Sweet, hopefully the no-banning of laptops continues next year.

redbullvodka
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby redbullvodka » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:56 am

Have a housing question:

I applied a month ago to graduate housing, and placed a few properties in the comments section to indicate my preferences. My top choice was studio/1br building at 6022 S. Drexel Avenue -- halfwayish between 60th and 61st street. It was so close to the law school I couldn't pass it up as an option. It appears to be either next to or across the street from the UChicago police station. Anyone know if this is a safe area? I just want to be sure if I happen to get my first choice and need to accept/reject it. Thanks.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:22 am

Hope everyone's doing alright after yesterday.

Finally feels like 1L is really over now.

A-Cow-Demia
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby A-Cow-Demia » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:26 am

redbullvodka wrote:Have a housing question:

I applied a month ago to graduate housing, and placed a few properties in the comments section to indicate my preferences. My top choice was studio/1br building at 6022 S. Drexel Avenue -- halfwayish between 60th and 61st street. It was so close to the law school I couldn't pass it up as an option. It appears to be either next to or across the street from the UChicago police station. Anyone know if this is a safe area? I just want to be sure if I happen to get my first choice and need to accept/reject it. Thanks.

I wouldn't live there. The school moved the police station to that location because it's a somewhat dangerous area. I'm sure the extra police presence has helped, but I still would be uncomfortable walking home at night. Plus, most 1Ls live in and around Regents, so you'll be far from your fellow 1Ls. And it's far from shopping, which I guess isn't a problem if you have a car, but I wouldn't want to park a car down there overnight.

If you're set on university housing, I would recommend some of the buildings on E. Hyde Park Blvd. These buildings are safer, and closer to shopping and to Regents. And there's a bus that goes directly from there to the law school every ten minutes.

redbullvodka
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby redbullvodka » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 pm

A-Cow-Demia wrote:
redbullvodka wrote:Have a housing question:

I applied a month ago to graduate housing, and placed a few properties in the comments section to indicate my preferences. My top choice was studio/1br building at 6022 S. Drexel Avenue -- halfwayish between 60th and 61st street. It was so close to the law school I couldn't pass it up as an option. It appears to be either next to or across the street from the UChicago police station. Anyone know if this is a safe area? I just want to be sure if I happen to get my first choice and need to accept/reject it. Thanks.

I wouldn't live there. The school moved the police station to that location because it's a somewhat dangerous area. I'm sure the extra police presence has helped, but I still would be uncomfortable walking home at night. Plus, most 1Ls live in and around Regents, so you'll be far from your fellow 1Ls. And it's far from shopping, which I guess isn't a problem if you have a car, but I wouldn't want to park a car down there overnight.

If you're set on university housing, I would recommend some of the buildings on E. Hyde Park Blvd. These buildings are safer, and closer to shopping and to Regents. And there's a bus that goes directly from there to the law school every ten minutes.


Other 1Ls/2Ls agree with this re: safety?

Edit: I'm male.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests