UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Sentry wrote:Have you gotten grades back yet?

Yes.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Sentry wrote:Have you gotten grades back yet?

Yes.

It seemed like Chicago was one of the last schools to get grades back. Did that affect your 1L job search?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Sentry wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Sentry wrote:Have you gotten grades back yet?

Yes.

It seemed like Chicago was one of the last schools to get grades back. Did that affect your 1L job search?


There's still plenty of schools waiting for at least some of their grades (including Mich and HLS). Plenty of places accept apps and let you update once you have transcripts.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Kili wrote:Thank for answering the previous Q!!

1.) Which airport should I fly into for ASW? Does it matter?
2.) Did any of you stay with a student while there for ASW? This feels awkward to me. :lol:
3.) I'm switching cell phone providers, either Verizon or AT&T. Is there a difference in reception in Chicago? I've heard Verizon sucks there.

TYIA!

1. I don't think it matters. Many people go to O'Hare... many the Midway. It's probably a cheaper taxi ride from Midway but I'd take the cheaper plane ticket.
2. Yes. It was nice. You get some good perspectives and you get to hang out. I'm going to offer my apartment to some prospective students if admissions asks. Paying it forward, ya know?
3. I'm not sure.

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby cranberry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Sentry wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Sentry wrote:Have you gotten grades back yet?

Yes.

It seemed like Chicago was one of the last schools to get grades back. Did that affect your 1L job search?



Yes definitely. Especially considering the size of the class and the steepness of the curve. I did okay, but if I had known my grades sooner I would have spent less time aggressively applying to a billion biglaw firms and applied to some reasonable jobs as well. I guess I should have done that anyway. I haven't gotten rejected anywhere yet but still... ugh.

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby cranberry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Kili wrote:Thank for answering the previous Q!!

1.) Which airport should I fly into for ASW? Does it matter?
2.) Did any of you stay with a student while there for ASW? This feels awkward to me. :lol:
3.) I'm switching cell phone providers, either Verizon or AT&T. Is there a difference in reception in Chicago? I've heard Verizon sucks there.

TYIA!


1. Midway if you're staying on the south side. There is always traffic and O'hare is far away and a pain in the ass. Also, if you book with Omega Shuttle for a pickup at either airport it's cheaper than a cab.
2. Nope. Sounds awkward to me too. When I came for ASW I stayed downtown and just took the metra to campus.
3. I have AT&T and I have great service. A lot of people must have Verizon, because I always hear "droid" during class. AT&T gives a discount to UChicago students so check that out if you switch to them.

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 pm

cranberry wrote:Yes definitely. Especially considering the size of the class and the steepness of the curve. I did okay, but if I had known my grades sooner I would have spent less time aggressively applying to a billion biglaw firms and applied to some reasonable jobs as well. I guess I should have done that anyway. I haven't gotten rejected anywhere yet but still... ugh.


If the concern, though, is whether or not the lateness caused people to miss out on job opportunities I don't think that's the case.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:14 am

California Babe wrote:
cranberry wrote:Yes definitely. Especially considering the size of the class and the steepness of the curve. I did okay, but if I had known my grades sooner I would have spent less time aggressively applying to a billion biglaw firms and applied to some reasonable jobs as well. I guess I should have done that anyway. I haven't gotten rejected anywhere yet but still... ugh.


If the concern, though, is whether or not the lateness caused people to miss out on job opportunities I don't think that's the case.


Who knows what employers are going to make of just 2 grades anyway, especially when one of them is for some made-up class unique to our school...

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby arism87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:05 pm

It seems like a lot of people live at Regents for 1L and then move- I'm really looking for a place to stay for 3 years- so tired of moving. Would it be weird to stay at Regents? Or where else would I recommend where I can be near my classmates (or at least my location wouldn't be prohibitive) but that I'd also want to stay for 2 more years? Thanks!

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm

arism87 wrote:It seems like a lot of people live at Regents for 1L and then move- I'm really looking for a place to stay for 3 years- so tired of moving. Would it be weird to stay at Regents? Or where else would I recommend where I can be near my classmates (or at least my location wouldn't be prohibitive) but that I'd also want to stay for 2 more years? Thanks!


A lot of people stay in Regents beyond 1L. I would say most people who leave Regents do so to get out of Hyde Park - it's not anything about Regents in particular.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Did you all enjoy your snow day?

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Sentry wrote:Did you all enjoy your snow day?

Snow day round 2 tomorrow.

I can't wait for all the make-up classes! :x

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Sentry wrote:Did you all enjoy your snow day?

Snow day round 2 tomorrow.

I can't wait for all the make-up classes! :x


Yeah. :| I hate to say it but I almost wish we had school today.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:21 pm

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
funkyturds
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby funkyturds » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Kili wrote:Do you mind discussing the gym? Is it free to all students? Is there a squat rack? :D


Ratner gym is really nice. It's free. Yes, there's 4-5 squat racks.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 am

funkyturds wrote:
Kili wrote:Do you mind discussing the gym? Is it free to all students? Is there a squat rack? :D


Ratner gym is really nice. It's free. Yes, there's 4-5 squat racks.


There's also the old gym which is less flashy but has a weight room, cardio machines, heavy bags, basketball courts etc.

Ghost
Posts: 1282
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 am

.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
funkyturds
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby funkyturds » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 am

From the law school, about a 5-10 minute walk. From Regents....probably 1-1.5 miles.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 am

Kili wrote:How close is gym to Law School and Regents?


http://goo.gl/maps/qrqF

Both the 171 and 172 buses go right past Ratner.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby DorianGray89 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Do you guys know if the State Department was at OCI this year, and if so, did anyone from UChi get an offer? I know it's really hard to get an offer from them, just curious if anyone did. Thanks.

Eyetalian
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Eyetalian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:32 pm

How are the employment prospects looking for a 1L summer? Post graduation? Does a Chicago degree really travel to the West Coast?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 am

Tagging this thread, thanks everyone for answering questions.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Is there anyway a future student could get a look at the "who worked where list"?

User avatar
California Babe
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby California Babe » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Sentry wrote:Is there anyway a future student could get a look at the "who worked where list"?


--LinkRemoved--




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest