UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JohnDorian
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby JohnDorian » Mon May 28, 2012 3:14 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby Flash » Mon May 28, 2012 8:10 pm

JohnDorian wrote:I've been reading a lot about UofC Law and I saw something where the Dean said something along the lines of: UChicago is a place where reading headnotes on cases isn't enough to succeed, you're expected to delve into the material and come to class ready to be pushed.


I have heard talk like this quite a bit at ASW, too. So, do you feel that this claim (that UChicago is unique in that you delve into the law (etc etc)) affects exams?

Maybe to delve :wink: into this question a bit further, do exams look different because you're at UChicago? Do professors look for different types of answers on them? I know most (if not all) of you haven't been to other law schools, but is the structure/grading of exams different than what you're told in 0L books like GTM or LEEWS? Or does the claim derive from in-class discussions and stuff like that?


I know you're going to shoot for the ask again before your exams angle, but I really think this would help us as we approach 0L prep and it would let us know if we should be taking notes on this kind of stuff in class (plus exams must be fresh in your mind considering the date :D).

Feel free to wait until after exams to answer! To echo:
cjcregg wrote:GOOD LUCK ON FINAL EXAMS!!! You helpful posters have certainly earned good karma.

I think every non HYS top school tries to promote itself in a certain way. Columbia with ivy prestige, NYU/Berkely promote themselves as laid back PI focused places, etc. Chicago chooses to promote itself as the most academic school. From talking with students at other law schools, there are slight differences but for the most part law school is law school.

We do tend to teach torts differently than most places I think.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby Emma. » Mon May 28, 2012 9:13 pm

JohnDorian wrote:I've been reading a lot about UofC Law and I saw something where the Dean said something along the lines of: UChicago is a place where reading headnotes on cases isn't enough to succeed, you're expected to delve into the material and come to class ready to be pushed.


I have heard talk like this quite a bit at ASW, too. So, do you feel that this claim (that UChicago is unique in that you delve into the law (etc etc)) affects exams?

Maybe to delve :wink: into this question a bit further, do exams look different because you're at UChicago? Do professors look for different types of answers on them? I know most (if not all) of you haven't been to other law schools, but is the structure/grading of exams different than what you're told in 0L books like GTM or LEEWS? Or does the claim derive from in-class discussions and stuff like that?


I know you're going to shoot for the ask again before your exams angle, but I really think this would help us as we approach 0L prep and it would let us know if we should be taking notes on this kind of stuff in class (plus exams must be fresh in your mind considering the date :D).

Feel free to wait until after exams to answer! To echo:
cjcregg wrote:GOOD LUCK ON FINAL EXAMS!!! You helpful posters have certainly earned good karma.


Please don't do any "0L prep," except maybe reading GTM. It is a total waste of time.

As far as how exams are structured, it is completely different from professor to professor, which is part of the reason that 0L prep is worthless. In terms of format, content, structure, the amount the professor wants you to "delve into the material," all these things are different even among just the professors at our school.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby Tanicius » Mon May 28, 2012 10:04 pm

We do tend to teach torts differently than most places I think.


Do you guys focus more on policy and alternative compensation schemes to tort law?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby duckmoney » Mon May 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Tanicius wrote:
We do tend to teach torts differently than most places I think.


Do you guys focus more on policy and alternative compensation schemes to tort law?


Look up Saul Levmore on YouTube. That's basically our torts class. Him rambling on about god-knows-what for a quarter and we're somehow expected to take an exam on it.

Also, best class in law school.

User avatar
ScratchableItch
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby ScratchableItch » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for taking questions everyone.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone share some info about UofC's graduate housing? It seems pretty flexible and affordable. Has anyone lived in one of those units? How do they compare to apartments near campus?

JohnDorian
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby JohnDorian » Wed May 30, 2012 1:44 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDorian
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby JohnDorian » Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScratchableItch
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby ScratchableItch » Wed May 30, 2012 11:02 am

JohnDorian wrote:Definitely been said before. There are also more threads for it. I'm just a 0L but I'd recommend using the search function and reading through this thread (there's lots of helpful advice throughout anyways).


Haha well I did both, I was just seeing if anyone had any different perspectives.

lemoned88
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby lemoned88 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:42 pm

If anyone could help me decide on housing that would be great. I know there's a bunch of threads on this, and while I've read them I'd love some more student perspective. I was looking at RegentPark, but the appliances seem kind of outdated/based on its reviews online it seems kind of overrated for the money they are charging.

Has anyone looked at DelPrado? If I live there will it be harder to meet people, etc?

Also I have never lived in the snow before/experienced a 'real' winter. Is it a bad idea to live somewhere where heat isn't included?


Any thoughts, really, are appreciated.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby duckmoney » Thu May 31, 2012 1:59 pm

lemoned88 wrote:If anyone could help me decide on housing that would be great. I know there's a bunch of threads on this, and while I've read them I'd love some more student perspective. I was looking at RegentPark, but the appliances seem kind of outdated/based on its reviews online it seems kind of overrated for the money they are charging.

Has anyone looked at DelPrado? If I live there will it be harder to meet people, etc?

Also I have never lived in the snow before/experienced a 'real' winter. Is it a bad idea to live somewhere where heat isn't included?


Any thoughts, really, are appreciated.


The appliances in Regents are a bit "dated", but they are perfectly functional. They just don't look very pretty.

Regents is expensive; the main benefit is floor space. The apartments are 100+ square feet larger than anything else in Hyde Park. Also, it's the only place in Hyde Park with covered parking, although that's also pricey. The amenities are also pretty good; on site grocery store / restaurant / free printing / decent gym.

Regents a center of 1L social life. If you want to meet a lot of people and you don't live here, you'll have to come here. Del Prado is about 3 blocks away, so it wouldn't be miserable, but you don't have the convenience of being in the building.

You could also just wait until people go out to socialize.

ringo
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby ringo » Thu May 31, 2012 2:25 pm

duckmoney wrote:
lemoned88 wrote:If anyone could help me decide on housing that would be great. I know there's a bunch of threads on this, and while I've read them I'd love some more student perspective. I was looking at RegentPark, but the appliances seem kind of outdated/based on its reviews online it seems kind of overrated for the money they are charging.

Has anyone looked at DelPrado? If I live there will it be harder to meet people, etc?

Also I have never lived in the snow before/experienced a 'real' winter. Is it a bad idea to live somewhere where heat isn't included?


Any thoughts, really, are appreciated.


The appliances in Regents are a bit "dated", but they are perfectly functional. They just don't look very pretty.

Regents is expensive; the main benefit is floor space. The apartments are 100+ square feet larger than anything else in Hyde Park. Also, it's the only place in Hyde Park with covered parking, although that's also pricey. The amenities are also pretty good; on site grocery store / restaurant / free printing / decent gym.

Regents a center of 1L social life. If you want to meet a lot of people and you don't live here, you'll have to come here. Del Prado is about 3 blocks away, so it wouldn't be miserable, but you don't have the convenience of being in the building.

You could also just wait until people go out to socialize.


0L here. The floorplan I was offered from Del Prado is what convinced me to go with Regents instead. I agree Regents seems overpriced, overrated, outdated, etc., and I don't know whether I'll really like it or not. But damn, that apartment in Del Prado is SMALL. I'll take the space and the view at Regents (for about the same price) and hope that balances out the other stuff you mention.

Having said that, if you think you can deal with the smaller space, Del Prado seems like a good choice. Several people in the c/o 2015 thread have already said they are living there.

lemoned88
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby lemoned88 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:35 pm

--
Last edited by lemoned88 on Thu May 31, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cjcregg
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby cjcregg » Thu May 31, 2012 3:39 pm

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata

So I just saw the 2011 employment numbers. Do you attribute the dramatic shift from private law practice to PI more to Chicago law grads' preferences (b/c of the better LRAP/PI program) or to the lagging firm job market?

I know you all don't have statistical data. But maybe you can form conclusions based on conversations with other Chicago students.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby rayiner » Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 pm

cjcregg wrote:http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata

So I just saw the 2011 employment numbers. Do you attribute the dramatic shift from private law practice to PI more to Chicago law grads' preferences (b/c of the better LRAP/PI program) or to the lagging firm job market?

I know you all don't have statistical data. But maybe you can form conclusions based on conversations with other Chicago students.


When you take out the 25 temporary law-school funded PI/Gov positions in 2011 (versus the 2 such positions in 2010), the PI/Gov placement actually went down slightly as a %-age of the class.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... /classof11
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... /classof10

MatMat
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby MatMat » Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm

cjcregg wrote:http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata

So I just saw the 2011 employment numbers. Do you attribute the dramatic shift from private law practice to PI more to Chicago law grads' preferences (b/c of the better LRAP/PI program) or to the lagging firm job market?.


What's more terrifying to me is the 25 people (12% of the class) with school funded positions, up from 2 people the previous year.

My question to current students would be -- is this because people bid Chicago/other tough markets with no luck, or did people strike out with NYC firms? Did UofC really weather the recession worse than its peer schools?

Also, I realize that OCI in the fall of 2009 was brutal, but class of 2012 2L summer numbers still look rough (76% at firms, down from 89% for class of 2010). What's the sense for this year (2013 2L summers)? I was told by a student when visiting that, "getting jobs is like, really easy." I'm wondering how that squares with experiences of 25%-35% of the class of 2011.

User avatar
cjcregg
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby cjcregg » Thu May 31, 2012 3:53 pm

oh wow...dismal.


User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby Emma. » Thu May 31, 2012 11:57 pm

MatMat wrote:
cjcregg wrote:http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata

So I just saw the 2011 employment numbers. Do you attribute the dramatic shift from private law practice to PI more to Chicago law grads' preferences (b/c of the better LRAP/PI program) or to the lagging firm job market?.


What's more terrifying to me is the 25 people (12% of the class) with school funded positions, up from 2 people the previous year.

My question to current students would be -- is this because people bid Chicago/other tough markets with no luck, or did people strike out with NYC firms? Did UofC really weather the recession worse than its peer schools?

Also, I realize that OCI in the fall of 2009 was brutal, but class of 2012 2L summer numbers still look rough (76% at firms, down from 89% for class of 2010). What's the sense for this year (2013 2L summers)? I was told by a student when visiting that, "getting jobs is like, really easy." I'm wondering how that squares with experiences of 25%-35% of the class of 2011.


TBF, the experience of the rising 3L class was VERY different from the graduating 3Ls. Those guys really had it rough at OCI.

noBass
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby noBass » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:28 pm

what kind of academic support is offered at Chicago? are there peer mentors ect for 1Ls? obviously one doesn't aim for it, but if you do poorly in a class is there an extra class or something like that or are you just pushed through?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:08 am

noBass wrote:what kind of academic support is offered at Chicago? are there peer mentors ect for 1Ls? obviously one doesn't aim for it, but if you do poorly in a class is there an extra class or something like that or are you just pushed through?


There are academic peer counselors, and you can always go to the dean of students, but for the most part everyone is just able to do fine on their own. Exams are graded on a curve, and the lowest grade is usually a C of some sort, so no one really fails classes. I've heard that if you get below a 168 or something the dean of students calls you in and talks to you, but you get credit as long as you stay above like a 160, which you should do as long as you speak English and know what a tort or contract is.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 am

First two of potentially many questions, I'm still combing through this thread :P

1. Is the COA budget sufficient to live in a studio in Regents/Del Prado/Algonqin? They have room and board at 13,500 which barely covers a years rent in any of those buildings, so it doesn't seem to leave much left for utilities/food/booze. Is there enough padding in the other categories to make do?

2. For bringing a car, do you know if it is possible to only get a garage pass for a couple of months to have it there and get acclimated? I'm thinking of driving up and having a car to get moved in and settled and then taking it home for thanksgiving and leaving it. Sound feasible?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
StrictlyBusiness
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 am

2014 wrote:2. For bringing a car, do you know if it is possible to only get a garage pass for a couple of months to have it there and get acclimated? I'm thinking of driving up and having a car to get moved in and settled and then taking it home for thanksgiving and leaving it. Sound feasible?


Regents does parking on a monthly basis. I mentioned that I might not want to pay for a spot after Christmas and they made it seem like it was no big deal to do something like that. Not sure about Del Prado or anywhere else.

User avatar
blank403
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:18 am

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby blank403 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 am

2014 wrote:First two of potentially many questions, I'm still combing through this thread :P

1. Is the COA budget sufficient to live in a studio in Regents/Del Prado/Algonqin? They have room and board at 13,500 which barely covers a years rent in any of those buildings, so it doesn't seem to leave much left for utilities/food/booze. Is there enough padding in the other categories to make do?

2. For bringing a car, do you know if it is possible to only get a garage pass for a couple of months to have it there and get acclimated? I'm thinking of driving up and having a car to get moved in and settled and then taking it home for thanksgiving and leaving it. Sound feasible?

Thanks in advance!


COA budget is for 9 months, not 12.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 pm

blank403 wrote:
2014 wrote:First two of potentially many questions, I'm still combing through this thread :P

1. Is the COA budget sufficient to live in a studio in Regents/Del Prado/Algonqin? They have room and board at 13,500 which barely covers a years rent in any of those buildings, so it doesn't seem to leave much left for utilities/food/booze. Is there enough padding in the other categories to make do?

2. For bringing a car, do you know if it is possible to only get a garage pass for a couple of months to have it there and get acclimated? I'm thinking of driving up and having a car to get moved in and settled and then taking it home for thanksgiving and leaving it. Sound feasible?

Thanks in advance!


COA budget is for 9 months, not 12.


It's for 9 months, but you can probably assume you'll be getting at least $5k (summer money) and just average it out for 12 months, that's what I did.

The transportation budget is huge, and the book budget is GIANT. Unless you buy every single casebook brand new from the campus bookstore, there is no way you'll get near that amount (and every supplement known to mankind). If you're really concerned about it you can PM me and I can show you my general budget breakdown. No one I know has had any serious budget problems (even with one bedrooms) unless they spend really irresponsibly.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pa1901, White Dwarf and 5 guests