UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma.

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby Emma. » Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
marburger06 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:It was with the correction portion which secondary journals don't use and is hard todo right if you don't budget enough time.

This is completely inaccurate. The secondary journals, like law review, use the editing portion of the exam and also weight it as 30% of the overall score.

Would someone like to explain this whole situation to us 0Ls. This page might as well be written in hieroglyphics at this point.

Seriously, don't worry about any of this until about this time next year. If you hadn't figured out already, this thread gets used for a fair amount of upperclass-to-1L advice as well.

Emma.

Re: UChi 1L Procrastinating from Exam Prep & Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu May 17, 2012 11:20 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Emma. wrote:
I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think it was my best option, :P but "best option" for me meant weighing a lot of different factors.
I was lucky enough to have really amazing options for school, and choosing was really difficult.Of course I have no way of knowing what those other schools would have been like, but I have never regretted my decision to come here.

This post made me happy. (HAI EMMA<3)

NYGRRRL!!! <3 <3

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Fri May 18, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend to check out the area. I haven't been to the city since I was a little kid. Obviously, I won't be able to do more than casually glance at the law school, but is there anything in Hyde Park that's worth checking out and would likely sell me on settling in the area for 3 years?

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Mon May 21, 2012 1:29 pm

For those who are working (or haved worked) in Chicago for the summer, do people usually stay at their apartment they had during the school year or move closer to downtown?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 21, 2012 1:37 pm

daydreamer wrote:For those who are working (or haved worked) in Chicago for the summer, do people usually stay at their apartment they had during the school year or move closer to downtown?

I don't know any 1Ls working in Chicago that are moving. It's really not hard to get downtown. People just switch their transit cards to unlimited (instead of pay-per-ride) or drive. Would be way too much of a hassle to move.

I think the only exception might be someone whose lease was up in the summer and moved downtown but planned on staying downtown for the next year, also.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Mon May 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Dany wrote:
daydreamer wrote:For those who are working (or haved worked) in Chicago for the summer, do people usually stay at their apartment they had during the school year or move closer to downtown?

I don't know any 1Ls working in Chicago that are moving. It's really not hard to get downtown. People just switch their transit cards to unlimited (instead of pay-per-ride) or drive. Would be way too much of a hassle to move.

I think the only exception might be someone whose lease was up in the summer and moved downtown but planned on staying downtown for the next year, also.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the commute would be like from HP.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 21, 2012 2:57 pm

The trip downtown really isn't bad. If you are planning on living in Hyde Park, I strongly recommend living on the 6 bus route because it makes it so easy to get straight downtown via Lake Shore Drive.

skers

Postby skers » Mon May 21, 2012 4:21 pm

With the quarter system I'm assuming that tuition is split in thirds? When does Autumn quarter become available for payment?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:With the quarter system I'm assuming that tuition is split in thirds? When does Autumn quarter become available for payment?

Yep, it's in thirds, and I think I'm looking at the right thing here ("Graduate/Undergraduate Billing Dates for the 2011/2012 Academic Year") which says:

Autumn Bill
Mailing Date: August 22, 2011
Due Date: September 16, 2011

Should be around the same time this year as well.

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Why isn't it June 7th yet?

justwalkawayrenee

Postby justwalkawayrenee » Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 am

I expect this was asked earlier, but where and for whom are 1Ls working this summer?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 25, 2012 12:48 am

justwalkawayrenee wrote:I expect this was asked earlier, but where and for whom are 1Ls working this summer?

You mean in general?

justwalkawayrenee

Postby justwalkawayrenee » Fri May 25, 2012 8:50 am

Dany wrote:
justwalkawayrenee wrote:I expect this was asked earlier, but where and for whom are 1Ls working this summer?

You mean in general?

Yeah, or if you guys want to answer individually.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 am

Dany wrote:

You mean in general?

Almost everyone I've talked to is working for government or public interest. A handful of people are going abroad and doing "international human rights" or something silly. A significant minority (I think it was 20% last year? That sounds about right) are doing firms. Most of these are biglaw firms, and probably a majority are through diversity recruitment. Very few people are working for judges, probably those are basically the one job that doesn't qualify for the summer stipend and so doesn't pay anything.

They'll release a full breakdown by orientation, along with a comprehensive "Who Worked Where" list so you can exactly who worked where.

skers

Postby skers » Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Any OCI numbers yet?

Crescat scientia

Postby Crescat scientia » Fri May 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow, thanks for this thread. It's very interesting.
First question: Why do UChi students seem so much more stressed in their last 1L quarter than their counterparts at other schools seem in their spring semester? Do you think that the stress level is actually the same or is spring quarter at UChi really very rough? (If the latter, why?)
Second question: How is Elements? Is the final for that class like a college final, or is it law school-style final? You can't really have an issue-spotter for that class, so I'm curious how it works. The class itself sounds really cool. Is it?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 25, 2012 12:44 pm

justwalkawayrenee wrote:
Dany wrote:

You mean in general?

Yeah, or if you guys want to answer individually.

Just running down a list of people I've talked about jobs with in my head:

Public interest positions in Chicago and elsewhere; various government employers (a lot of people are doing this); 2 non-diversity Chicago SAs; several with diversity fellowships or returning to SEO firms from 0L summer; 4 smaller market SAs; 2 working for judges; 3 going abroad; several working with the clinics; several research assistants

Basically, people are doing a lot of different things. I'd say most are doing work that qualifies for the $5k PI stipend.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Crescat scientia wrote:Wow, thanks for this thread. It's very interesting.
First question: Why do UChi students seem so much more stressed in their last 1L quarter than their counterparts at other schools seem in their spring semester? Do you think that the stress level is actually the same or is spring quarter at UChi really very rough? (If the latter, why?)
Second question: How is Elements? Is the final for that class like a college final, or is it law school-style final? You can't really have an issue-spotter for that class, so I'm curious how it works. The class itself sounds really cool. Is it?

1) I have no idea. I've never gone to another law school. We're very stressed out right now, but I don't know if its any worse than anywhere else. We definitely were not (or at least had no reason to be) as stressed during the fall.

2) It varies a lot by class. I wouldn't call my exam a college essay, but it wasn't quite a traditional issue spotter or policy question either. I'd say all in all it requires more law school skills than say, political science exam skills, but it wasn't super traditional. It all depends on your teacher, though; no reason to plan anything in advance.

Crescat scientia

Postby Crescat scientia » Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Ok, got it. So what makes the spring quarter so much more stressful than fall and winter?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Crescat scientia wrote:Ok, got it. So what makes the spring quarter so much more stressful than fall and winter?

Autumn and winter we only have two exams each quarter, and in the autumn quarter LRW is ungraded. Spring quarter we have four exams and a graded brief.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri May 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Dany wrote:
Crescat scientia wrote:Ok, got it. So what makes the spring quarter so much more stressful than fall and winter?

Autumn and winter we only have two exams each quarter, and in the autumn quarter LRW is ungraded. Spring quarter we have four exams and a graded brief.

And 2 of those exams cover 2 quarters worth of material. So really its like six exams. It's quite miserable, but on the bright side, no amount of law school work seems like it could possibly be intimidating again.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri May 25, 2012 4:07 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Dany wrote:

And 2 of those exams cover 2 quarters worth of material. So really its like six exams. It's quite miserable, but on the bright side, no amount of law school work seems like it could possibly be intimidating again.

You'd be surprised.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri May 25, 2012 4:28 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
duckmoney wrote:
Dany wrote:

You'd be surprised.

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 pm

GOOD LUCK ON FINAL EXAMS!!! You helpful posters have certainly earned good karma.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri May 25, 2012 11:11 pm

cjcregg wrote:GOOD LUCK ON FINAL EXAMS!!! You helpful posters have certainly earned good karma.

upvote.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”