UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma.

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Emma. » Tue May 15, 2012 11:24 am

Helmholtz wrote:
daydreamer wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
daydreamer wrote:Hey all, I'm coming to visit this weekend. I wish I could come during the week and sit in on a class and all that but unfortunately I couldn't get work off. Anyways, do you guys have suggestions on what I could do besides touring the school and checking out apartments?

This weekend (i.e. the weekend of the NATO Summit)? Might not be a good idea.

Uh oh already booked my hotel...why's might it not be a good idea?

They're shutting down some of the most-traveled roads in the city. The actual summit is taking place only a couple dozen blocks north of where many of the law students live. I believe that the law school is recording 1L classes so students don't have to go to the school if things really go to hell. There should be a ridiculous number of protestors and police in the city.

Is Metra even running? I'm not sure if it is really going to be possible to get from downtown to school at all via public transit over the weekend? I guess you could take cabs, but with all the road closures the cab ride is probably going to be outrageously expensive. I'm impressed you were able to get a hotel room.

ringo

Postby ringo » Tue May 15, 2012 12:51 pm

How are the two-quarter classes graded? Does one of the profs grade one exam covering both quarters of material?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 pm

I've heard the metra is running but you can't bring backpacks on it, and it's bypassing a LOT of stops.

For the two-quarter classes, it depends. If you have the same prof for both quarters, it's like a normal exam. If you have Professor A and Professor B each teaching one quarter, usually how it works is you spend half the exam time on Professor A's half of the exam and half on Professor B's half of the exam and they each grade their own halves and then do math to figure out your final grade for the course.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue May 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Any thoughts as to whether trying to write on to a secondary journal is worth the time investment / provides meaningful boost for OCI or clerkships?

JohnDorian

Re: UChi Kids—Procrastinating from Exam Prep & Taking Questions

Postby JohnDorian » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney

Re: UChi Kids—Procrastinating from Exam Prep & Taking Questions

Postby duckmoney » Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 pm

JohnDorian wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Dany wrote:Could someone explain Corporate Lab for me? The page for it on the UChicago website isn't super clear. It says there's a transactional clinic but that there's a strongly recommended prerequisite class? If you've taken or are taking it, would you recommend it?

Let's talk.

I would love to hear more about this!

Also, are there any professors I should stay away from for the 1L elective due to insanely strict grading or an irregularly high workload? I know how this sounds, but if there's grade cutoffs at top firms based on 1L grades, it doesn't make sense to put more on your plate during a stressful time.

You don't even know what electives are being offered. Ask this again in March.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm

duckmoney wrote:Any thoughts as to whether trying to write on to a secondary journal is worth the time investment / provides meaningful boost for OCI or clerkships?

Yeah, I think it is worth it. Compared to people I know on LR, the Legal Forum people were much happier and some actually really enjoyed the journal.

FWIW, I'm not sure how much of a boost even LR gives you at OCI. The LR "boost" is really a function of having top 10% grades, IMO.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Emma. wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Any thoughts as to whether trying to write on to a secondary journal is worth the time investment / provides meaningful boost for OCI or clerkships?

Yeah, I think it is worth it. Compared to people I know on LR, the Legal Forum people were much happier and some actually really enjoyed the journal.

FWIW, I'm not sure how much of a boost even LR gives you at OCI. The LR "boost" is really a function of having top 10% grades, IMO.

I do think that LR helps you with mid-market firms/ biglaw satellites. I had two friends at median during the worst year who wrote on to law review that both got jobs, and commented that that LR helped them get there.

I don't think LR helps you with most top firms. They are just as willing to take the guy who didn't do well on the write-on with the high grades. Something that people don't realize is that there are a good number of people with really high grades who don't get LR. The correction portion had a threshold that killed people last year. I know two people with 180.3, and 180.4 GPAs that didn't get LR but got secondary journals. I think the grade-on line was like 179.5 or something. They did well with top firms.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:The correction portion had a threshold that killed people last year. I know two people with 180.3, and 180.4 GPAs that didn't get LR but got secondary journals. I think the grade-on line was like 179.5 or something. They did well with top firms.

I don't think this is accurate. If you got on a secondary journal, then surely you had the requisite "good faith effort" for law review grade-on.
I'm guessing the cut-off was much higher than 179.5.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed May 16, 2012 5:49 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:The correction portion had a threshold that killed people last year. I know two people with 180.3, and 180.4 GPAs that didn't get LR but got secondary journals. I think the grade-on line was like 179.5 or something. They did well with top firms.

I don't think this is accurate. If you got on a secondary journal, then surely you had the requisite "good faith effort" for law review grade-on.

Yeah, that confuses me. :|

Any awesome 2L/3L advice for us 1Ls, other than curling up in the corner?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 16, 2012 8:56 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

EDIT. Don't requote what I just typed. Sufficient to say it appeared to be a 180.5 cut off, which was irregular because it is usually a 179.5 or so. But, something DQed some reasonable entries last year, and the cut off was normal, and some high GPA people didn't make the good faith cut off.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

EDIT. Don't requote what I just typed. Sufficient to say it appeared to be a 180.5 cut off, which was irregular because it is usually a 179.5 or so. But, something DQed some reasonable entries last year, and the cut off was normal, and some high GPA people didn't make the good faith cut off.

This can't be right. If you made a secondary journal then you made the good faith requirement and would have been offered LR.

Everything I heard pointed to a higher cut off for top 10% as a result of the very top grades being clustered in an unusually small group of people. In the past the grade cutoff has usually been between 179.5 and 180, but I think it is usually much closer to the higher end of that range.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 am

Emma. wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

This can't be right. If you made a secondary journal then you made the good faith requirement and would have been offered LR.

Everything I heard pointed to a higher cut off for top 10% as a result of the very top grades being clustered in an unusually small group of people. In the past the grade cutoff has usually been between 179.5 and 180, but I think it is usually much closer to the higher end of that range.

It was with the correction portion which secondary journals don't use and is hard todo right if you don't budget enough time.

American_in_China

Re: UChi almost–rising 2Ls and 3Ls (stay strong, 1Ls!) taking Qs

Postby American_in_China » Thu May 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Anybody got a breakdown on the exam "types" at Chicago? Are the 1L classes basically all issue spotters? I ask because given Chicago's rep it wouldn't surprise me if there was more "policy" type questions. (Note that my understanding of law school exams comes entirely from reading GTM two months ago)

nygrrrl

Re: UChi 1L Procrastinating from Exam Prep & Taking Questions

Postby nygrrrl » Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Emma. wrote:
I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think it was my best option, :P but "best option" for me meant weighing a lot of different factors.
I was lucky enough to have really amazing options for school, and choosing was really difficult.Of course I have no way of knowing what those other schools would have been like, but I have never regretted my decision to come here.

This post made me happy. (HAI EMMA<3)

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:59 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:It was with the correction portion which secondary journals don't use and is hard todo right if you don't budget enough time.

This is completely inaccurate. The secondary journals, like law review, use the editing portion of the exam and also weight it as 30% of the overall score.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 17, 2012 4:03 pm

American_in_China wrote:Anybody got a breakdown on the exam "types" at Chicago? Are the 1L classes basically all issue spotters? I ask because given Chicago's rep it wouldn't surprise me if there was more "policy" type questions. (Note that my understanding of law school exams comes entirely from reading GTM two months ago)

Both issue spotter and policy.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Thu May 17, 2012 4:13 pm

marburger06 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:It was with the correction portion which secondary journals don't use and is hard todo right if you don't budget enough time.

This is completely inaccurate. The secondary journals, like law review, use the editing portion of the exam and also weight it as 30% of the overall score.

Would someone like to explain this whole situation to us 0Ls. This page might as well be written in hieroglyphics at this point.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Dany wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Anybody got a breakdown on the exam "types" at Chicago? Are the 1L classes basically all issue spotters? I ask because given Chicago's rep it wouldn't surprise me if there was more "policy" type questions. (Note that my understanding of law school exams comes entirely from reading GTM two months ago)

Both issue spotter and policy.

But you won't see a 100% policy question exam, for sure. I'll do a quick breakdown of our half's exams (this is from memory so it's not 100% accurate)

Elements (in-class): issue spotters (kind of with policy mixed in, it was odd); the other half had weird econ questions
Civ Pro (take-home): mostly issue spotters, a policy-type question
Property (in-cass): issue spotters w a short policy question at the end of one half
Contracts: issue spotter

Also, some exams incorporate multiple choice. For this quarter, the crim/contracts finals have a 2 hour multiple choice section and then a 6 hour take home section.

tl;dr study like it's an issue spotter, the policy questions usually aren't that bad, just say something that's not too stupid and talk about arguments from both sides

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Xifeng wrote:the other half had weird econ questions

this concerns me. ive never been able to master anything but the most basic econ concepts. was this econ material thoroughly reviewed before the exam?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 pm

cjcregg wrote:

this concerns me. ive never been able to master anything but the most basic econ concepts. was this econ material thoroughly reviewed before the exam?

I wasn't in that class, but a lot of it was prisoners dilemma stuff. But it was all taught in the course. Even at Chicago, they don't throw in random econ questions just to punish you for not being an econ major.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 pm

cjcregg wrote:

I wasn't in that class, but our professors are wonderful and I seriously doubt they'd put any economic concept on an exam that you hadn't discussed in class. If you're struggling with any econ concepts our profs have open door policies and will be happy to help you work on it. It's really not an issue if you don't have an econ background or if you dislike it. None of my classes have really done true economics stuff. You'll be fine.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu May 17, 2012 9:41 pm

I wasn't an econ major at all and none of the econ topics/approaches in 1L classes have been over my head. The professors explain it all really well.

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Whoever does bar review emails next year has big shoes to fill.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Flash wrote:Whoever does bar review emails next year has big shoes to fill.

I liked KP. Transcript share was funny.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”