UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dresden doll

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm

0000001 wrote: My current employer went to NYU and when I told him I choose Chicago over his alma mater he instantly made some snide comment about me being uber-conservative and making a poor choice in terms of schools - though he believes that if I get into Columbia I should attend it over NYU.

Your current employer sounds like an abject moron. Uchi is still mostly liberal, it just has a greater percentage of libertarians relative to other lawl schools.

Postby 0000001 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:Your current employer sounds like an abject moron. Uchi is still mostly liberal, it just has a greater percentage of libertarians relative to other lawl schools.

I agree - I can't stand him. He's also much older which I think might have factored into his opinion. I like that Chicago has a more moderate political culture, it helps counteract the liberal group-think that I sometimes fall into when surrounded by other liberals. No ones negative opinion is going to effect my decision, I just wanted to know if these stereotypes were something I should be ready for, and you guys did a pretty good job of allaying my concerns.

Thanks again for giving all us 0L's your time and great advice!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm

0000001 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Your current employer sounds like an abject moron. Uchi is still mostly liberal, it just has a greater percentage of libertarians relative to other lawl schools.

I agree - I can't stand him. He's also much older which I think might have factored into his opinion. I like that Chicago has a more moderate political culture, it helps counteract the liberal group-think that I sometimes fall into when surrounded by other liberals. No ones negative opinion is going to effect my decision, I just wanted to know if these stereotypes were something I should be ready for, and you guys did a pretty good job of allaying my concerns.

Thanks again for giving all us 0L's your time and great advice!

I'm a flaming liberal, and I never felt out of place there. The rampant conservatism you keep hearing about has more to do with economics; very few people at the law school are social conservatives.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat May 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Does anyone know if we have to pay taxes on the $5k summer stipend?

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Sat May 12, 2012 2:28 pm

duckmoney wrote:Does anyone know if we have to pay taxes on the $5k summer stipend?

Isn't it technically a non-interest bearing loan forgiven upon completion of whatever summer program you used it for? In which income taxes probably aren't applicable. Not sure, just guessing based on what I half remember.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 12, 2012 2:33 pm

American_in_China wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Does anyone know if we have to pay taxes on the $5k summer stipend?

Isn't it technically a non-interest bearing loan forgiven upon completion of whatever summer program you used it for? In which income taxes probably aren't applicable. Not sure, just guessing based on what I half remember.

This is right.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Sat May 12, 2012 4:50 pm

I noticed on the website that it listed about ~20% of 1Ls worked at a law firm for their first summer. Are these usually SA positions or something else?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:03 pm

daydreamer wrote:I noticed on the website that it listed about ~20% of 1Ls worked at a law firm for their first summer. Are these usually SA positions or something else?

The 20% working in Firms would be SA positions.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Sat May 12, 2012 5:11 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
daydreamer wrote:I noticed on the website that it listed about ~20% of 1Ls worked at a law firm for their first summer. Are these usually SA positions or something else?

The 20% working in Firms would be SA positions.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Are most of these diversity-related? Do non-URM students have a decent shot at getting these 1L positions too?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat May 12, 2012 5:17 pm

A mix of SAs and other stuff. On our "Who Worked Where" list, 21 of the 44 positions that 1Ls had last summer were at NLJ 250 firms.

As to how to get these jobs, I think the three main ways to get an SA job 1L summer are (1) diversity hiring (many firms have programs); (2) IP background; (3) ties to a secondary market that hires 1Ls. I know people in the 1L class with SAs lined up in each of these categories. In addition to SAs at biglaw firms, I know some people (myself included) are working at midsize firms, which are paid positions but generally not as well-paid as a biglaw summer associate position.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat May 12, 2012 5:56 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
American_in_China wrote:

This is right.

According to Teh Google, forgiven debt is taxable. http://badmoneyadvice.com/2009/06/forgi ... ncome.html

Any reason this wouldn't be true with the stipend?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm

http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

Public service loan forgiveness, teacher loan forgiveness, law school loan repayment assistance programs and the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program are not taxable.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

Public service loan forgiveness, teacher loan forgiveness, law school loan repayment assistance programs and the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program are not taxable.

Sweet

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun May 13, 2012 1:44 am

Dany wrote:

A mix of SAs and other stuff. On our "Who Worked Where" list, 21 of the 44 positions that 1Ls had last summer were at NLJ 250 firms.

As to how to get these jobs, I think the three main ways to get an SA job 1L summer are (1) diversity hiring (many firms have programs); (2) IP background; (3) ties to a secondary market that hires 1Ls. I know people in the 1L class with SAs lined up in each of these categories. In addition to SAs at biglaw firms, I know some people (myself included) are working at midsize firms, which are paid positions but generally not as well-paid as a biglaw summer associate position.

I worked a 1L SA. I got it through networking. Out of my best buds, one other worked an SA, and two worked a3 internships. It is hard to get a V100 as a white person 1L year, but you can prolly get a 1L midlaw firm depending on where you come from. Youbcan also be chill and do some meaningful PI work and get paid 5k by the school.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:12 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Dany wrote:

I worked a 1L SA. I got it through networking. Out of my best buds, one other worked an SA, and two worked a3 internships. It is hard to get a V100 as a white person 1L year, but you can prolly get a 1L midlaw firm depending on where you come from. Youbcan also be chill and do some meaningful PI work and get paid 5k by the school.

Networking is key. I worked as a market paying SA as a 1L solely on networking (and I am a white male).

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 14, 2012 2:13 am

Just brought my car up - Does it need a parking sticker or anything?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon May 14, 2012 8:10 am

Dany wrote:Just brought my car up - Does it need a parking sticker or anything?

If it has a plate from a far off state, then they wont ticket you. If its Illinois, or possibly Wis or Ind, then youll need one.

JohnDorian

Postby JohnDorian » Mon May 14, 2012 1:58 pm

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon May 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Kind of along the same lines as JD, but did anyone read Levmore's Foundation's of Tort Law before they had him? or before they had another prof for Torts?

I'm not looking to do anything crazy this summer but if I can glance through a book or two that will be beneficial in my free time it would ease my nerves a bit. Other than that it looks like GTM is the way to go.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 pm

I would just prepare to enjoy autumn quarter, and I say that knowing that 2Ls and 3Ls told me the same thing and I ignored them. GTM is good (I didn't read anything else), just try relaxing. I suggest reading some TLS threads on taking notes/outlining, stuff like that so you're familiar with it. Once you're in school you'll get a better feel for timing. Also, the semester schedule for outlining is different from quarters, so don't pay too much attention to that (ask us about it instead). With fall quarter you really don't need a detailed plan, you'll be fine!

The professors and 2Ls/3Ls can recommend certain supplements for certain professors. You don't need to read those ahead of time. And you won't know your schedule until right before orientation anyway so you won't know which ones you have until it's too late!

Just relax. And know that one year from now, you will hate everything. <3

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Yup. Enjoy your summer. You have PLENTY of time to figure out law school during fall quarter. LRW is ungraded, you only have two exams (and one of those is Elements of the Law so you basically only have one exam), and you really don't need to stress or anything. Have fun, get to know Chicago when you move here, meet your classmates, but don't worry about planning out 1L or doing prep. I guess read GTM if you want to? I didn't.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Tue May 15, 2012 9:47 am

Hey all, I'm coming to visit this weekend. I wish I could come during the week and sit in on a class and all that but unfortunately I couldn't get work off. Anyways, do you guys have suggestions on what I could do besides touring the school and checking out apartments?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue May 15, 2012 10:51 am

daydreamer wrote:Hey all, I'm coming to visit this weekend. I wish I could come during the week and sit in on a class and all that but unfortunately I couldn't get work off. Anyways, do you guys have suggestions on what I could do besides touring the school and checking out apartments?

This weekend (i.e. the weekend of the NATO Summit)? Might not be a good idea.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Tue May 15, 2012 11:02 am

Helmholtz wrote:
daydreamer wrote:Hey all, I'm coming to visit this weekend. I wish I could come during the week and sit in on a class and all that but unfortunately I couldn't get work off. Anyways, do you guys have suggestions on what I could do besides touring the school and checking out apartments?

Uh oh already booked my hotel...why's might it not be a good idea?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue May 15, 2012 11:07 am

daydreamer wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Uh oh already booked my hotel...why's might it not be a good idea?

They're shutting down some of the most-traveled roads in the city. The actual summit is taking place only a couple dozen blocks north of where many of the law students live. I believe that the law school is recording 1L classes so students don't have to go to the school if things really go to hell. There should be a ridiculous number of protestors and police in the city.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”