UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Br3v » Mon May 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Getting back on topic.
Current Chicago students.
It seems like the theme the last page or so at least has been that you like Chicago, but seem to think you could have saved money and accomplish the same at lower t14, or in some cases, highest school in home market. As an OL, when I hear Uchi I think of a great school that would be an amazing opportunity to attend. Did you feel the same before attending? If so how do you feel now? $ wise, how much better would you say Chicago is than the rest of the t14?
In other words, if you were an OL, what scholarship amount would you need to attend a lower ranked school and why?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Emma. » Mon May 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Br3v wrote:Getting back on topic.
Current Chicago students.
It seems like the theme the last page or so at least has been that you like Chicago, but seem to think you could have saved money and accomplish the same at lower t14, or in some cases, highest school in home market. As an OL, when I hear Uchi I think of a great school that would be an amazing opportunity to attend. Did you feel the same before attending? If so how do you feel now? $ wise, how much better would you say Chicago is than the rest of the t14?
In other words, if you were an OL, what scholarship amount would you need to attend a lower ranked school and why?


Not sure that 1 person's opinion constitutes a "theme."

I paid quite a solid amount more to come to UChi over schools like Michigan and Boalt. There are so many different factors that you should probably be considering though that I don't think anyone can really tell you how much extra one school is worth over another. For me, I guess I'd consider the HYS tier to be worth somewhere around $50K more than the CCN tier, and the CCN tier to be worth $50K more than the MVP tier....

GoodFood
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby GoodFood » Tue May 08, 2012 12:32 am

Haymarket wrote:
GoodFood wrote:
Haymarket wrote:It can be if you're willing to paint and you have a ton of nice furniture. Most people don't.


Uhh....no shit...I'm asking if they are better as is...

Are you fucking dense? Read your own question. You have been consistently an obnoxious, entitled little shit in this thread.


Lol...ah man...you're intense. I'm not interested in cursing somebody out over the internet so calm down. I don't know if you've noticed, but participation in this entire thread is completely voluntary. Maybe they give out awards for being an internet policeman amongst your group of friends, but you should fight off the urge to insult and curse at every single person you think is being annoying/dense/obnoxious or a "little shit." It seems that a lot of the 0Ls in this thread are nowhere near as poised or levelheaded as you are/were as a 0L, so if you're going to choose to be here, you need to do everyone a big favor and control yourself. It is not difficult to ignore people on an internet forum--take some time off.

Seriously...when people/a question annoys you, just don't reply...A lot of us still have a shit load of questions about Chicago, especially living/moving there, and I'd like to take advantage of this thread without going through a pissing contest every few pages.

GoodFood
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby GoodFood » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 am

Anyway, to get back on topic: I don't know if I was asking anything particularly difficult, but I'd like to know, generally, what condition the apartments in Regents are in. If you have some common sense you know conditions can vary greatly between different apartment complexes, especially if one is older, and especially in things like the bathrooms/kitchens, or the staff/maintenance people that work there...and those things are important. I've done some research and there are a lot of people who suggest living somewhere else, and not following the 1L herd. There seem to be equally convenient and comparable options in the immediate area that are cheaper/similarly priced (like the Hyde Park Towers). The fact that the University has an agreement with Regents/most people end up living there for 1L is making me wonder if students take the slightly more expensive option because the other apartments are in worse shape than the typical one in Regents. Yes, I know if I touch up/renovate/buy nice furniture on an apartment/most tangible objects it will look nicer. :roll:

ETA: I'm probably not going to get a chance to visit, and I'd rather make an informed opinion.
Last edited by GoodFood on Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Xifeng » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 am

GoodFood wrote:Anyway, to get back on topic: I don't know if I was asking anything particularly difficult, but I'd like to know, generally, what condition the apartments in Regents are in. If you have some common sense you know conditions can vary greatly, especially in things like the bathrooms/kitchens, and the staff/maintenance people that work there...and those things are important. I've done some research and there are a lot of people who suggest living somewhere else, and not following the 1L herd. There seem to be equally convenient and comparable options in the immediate area that are cheaper/similarly priced (like the Hyde Park Towers). The fact that the University has an agreement with Regents/most people end up living there for 1L is making me wonder if students take the slightly more expensive option because the other apartments are in worse shape than the typical one in Regents. Yes, I know if I touch up/renovate/buy nice furniture on an apartment/most tangible objects it will look nicer. :roll:


Alright, so, you saw the pictures. I'm not sure what more you want to know. I'd email Regents itself if you want more specific pictures.

People make housing decisions for individual reasons, they aren't going to be able to figure out what you want. People choose Regents because it's easy, because other law students do, and because they're nice apartments. There isn't a magic secret solution.

Haymarket gave you his opinion, and yes he was a bit of a jackass about it, but if you have specific concerns about the apartment, I REALLY suggest visiting. Our opinions aren't going to answer all your questions for you.

Additionally, sorry to people who want immediate answers to their questions, but we (especially 1Ls) are really busy right now. People may not have time to answer your questions the same day you post, or even at all. Most of us don't have time to type up lengthy, detailed things about the quality of bathrooms. We'll have more time in a few months, and y'all really don't need to be done figuring out housing right now.

tl;dr, it'd be great if you guys could have some patience with us since we're super busy, and also think about who the single-best problem solver is for your particular question.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue May 08, 2012 1:08 am

GoodFood wrote:Anyway, to get back on topic: I don't know if I was asking anything particularly difficult, but I'd like to know, generally, what condition the apartments in Regents are in
GoodFood wrote:conditions can vary greatly, especially in things like the bathrooms/kitchens, and the staff/maintenance people that work there...and those things are important.
:?:
GoodFood wrote:The fact that the University has an agreement with Regents/most people end up living there for 1L is making me wonder if students take the slightly more expensive option because the other apartments are in worse shape than the typical one in Regents.
:?:

GoodFood
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby GoodFood » Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 am

Xifeng wrote:tl;dr, it'd be great if you guys could have some patience with us since we're super busy, and also think about who the single-best problem solver is for your particular question.


I don't think anyone is really complaining--we're all very thankful that you guys are doing this in the first place. I'm only asking because I don't think I'm going to get the opportunity to visit, at least not until the end of summer, when my options might be more limited. Thank you .

For the other 0Ls, I found this website that might be helpful if you're looking for an alternative to Regents: --LinkRemoved--

Mad Hatter wrote: :?:


PM'd you.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue May 08, 2012 1:26 am

Mad Hatter wrote:
GoodFood wrote:Anyway, to get back on topic: I don't know if I was asking anything particularly difficult, but I'd like to know, generally, what condition the apartments in Regents are in
GoodFood wrote:conditions can vary greatly, especially in things like the bathrooms/kitchens, and the staff/maintenance people that work there...and those things are important.
:?:
GoodFood wrote:The fact that the University has an agreement with Regents/most people end up living there for 1L is making me wonder if students take the slightly more expensive option because the other apartments are in worse shape than the typical one in Regents.
:?:


People take the option because Regents is across the railroad tracks in non-crime infested area with a convenient bus and grocery store and reception area and directv/free internet and dry cleaner and mail room where people don't steal your mail, and a mediocre restaurant, and a good gym, and really, really good maintenance staff, and professors come by there sometimes, and free business center with fax and printing and because everyone else lives there. We are living in the Ghetto-- this coming from someone who has buds in Inglewood/Compton and witnessed a shooting a few weeks ago, life is depressing and boring in Hyde Park. Regents seems overpriced until you realize that all of the amenities, companionship, and closeness to public transportation/ lake shore drive makes you feel a little more alive after a crappy day at the law school-- knowing that you don't have to see some hobo lady defecate in the street or look over your shoulder walking late back from school. I really like pretty much everyone in the law school class (even that dude that uses wine mess emails to insult conservatives and professors) and it makes my life a little better to say hi to them every once in awhile. Finally, Regents is a nice community. Nice soulful old black ladies, med school professors, foreign grad students, young families, New Brian, the Korean lady that is always late on your dry cleaning, the indian guy who mans market in the park, etc.

Also, Regents isn't the only option. However, it make as sense for a lot of people. Other people love grad housing, but many of them would probably feel just as imprisoned by more debt as I do by Hyde Park

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 am

lol I was just wondering what exactly GoodFood wanted - a blow-by-blow comparison of every apartment/building in Hyde Park? Great post though, now you've got me scared shitless of mailroom robbers and hobos :? .

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 am

Mad Hatter wrote:lol I was just wondering what exactly GoodFood wanted - a blow-by-blow comparison of every apartment/building in Hyde Park? Great post though, now you've got me scared shitless of mailroom robbers and hobos :? .


It was a bit hyperbole. Hyde Park is fine, except probably not at night. Also, on the hobo issue, you will probably see more on a callback to LA or in the loop.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue May 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Emma. wrote:Hey 1L/2Ls:
snip

I'll vote for this guy if I see him kick undergrads out of coffee mess again. And if he (accidently) tries to kick out 1Ls for the lulz.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby echamberlin8 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm quite interested in Chicago, as you guys know by now. I'm curious if you guys know of the V10 and specifically V5 prospects of Chicago compared to some of its peer schools. My goal is V10/5 in NYC, and I'm wondering, if given the option, whether I should choose NYU or Chicago (Columbia would clearly be the first pick, but between the other two CCN schools...).

I've heard some people say that a Chicago Law degree is especially appealing for some top NYC firms, since they are so inundated with NYU and CLS applicants that a Chicago applicant stands out more, and also because there are less Chicago students competing for each spot at a top school.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed May 09, 2012 8:01 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I'm quite interested in Chicago, as you guys know by now. I'm curious if you guys know of the V10 and specifically V5 prospects of Chicago compared to some of its peer schools. My goal is V10/5 in NYC, and I'm wondering, if given the option, whether I should choose NYU or Chicago (Columbia would clearly be the first pick, but between the other two CCN schools...).

I've heard some people say that a Chicago Law degree is especially appealing for some top NYC firms, since they are so inundated with NYU and CLS applicants that a Chicago applicant stands out more, and also because there are less Chicago students competing for each spot at a top school.

Paging TaipeiMort, paging TaipeiMort...

Seriously man, peer schools are peer schools. You'll need top grades for V5/10 at any school (even *gasp* Columbia, which is hardly an "obvious" first choice - I turned them down for Chicago...). First get in, then worry about V5 prospects. Damn, dude, a year before I applied I didn't even know what a V5 was...

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I'm quite interested in Chicago, as you guys know by now. I'm curious if you guys know of the V10 and specifically V5 prospects of Chicago compared to some of its peer schools. My goal is V10/5 in NYC, and I'm wondering, if given the option, whether I should choose NYU or Chicago (Columbia would clearly be the first pick, but between the other two CCN schools...).

I've heard some people say that a Chicago Law degree is especially appealing for some top NYC firms, since they are so inundated with NYU and CLS applicants that a Chicago applicant stands out more, and also because there are less Chicago students competing for each spot at a top school.

Paging TaipeiMort, paging TaipeiMort...

Seriously man, peer schools are peer schools. You'll need top grades for V5/10 at any school (even *gasp* Columbia, which is hardly an "obvious" first choice - I turned them down for Chicago...). First get in, then worry about V5 prospects. Damn, dude, a year before I applied I didn't even know what a V5 was...


There is a list which OCS puts out that I can't find which lists the floor GPA required for different law firms over the past five years. If I remember correctly, many of the V15s were really not that selective. The more selective ones were Wachtell, Cravath, Skadden NY, Kirkland, Sidley. Some of the others went below median for students.

potl
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby potl » Wed May 09, 2012 9:11 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I'm quite interested in Chicago, as you guys know by now. I'm curious if you guys know of the V10 and specifically V5 prospects of Chicago compared to some of its peer schools. My goal is V10/5 in NYC, and I'm wondering, if given the option, whether I should choose NYU or Chicago (Columbia would clearly be the first pick, but between the other two CCN schools...).

I've heard some people say that a Chicago Law degree is especially appealing for some top NYC firms, since they are so inundated with NYU and CLS applicants that a Chicago applicant stands out more, and also because there are less Chicago students competing for each spot at a top school.


echamberlin8 - it seems like you're a bit ahead of yourself. Take the LSAT, then determine whether or not CCN is even in the picture. The questions that you're asking and the answers you might receive are completely irrelevant to your next step (studying for/dominating the LSAT).

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 pm

lol TaipeiMort, now youve got me interested. I can see why they would relax floors somewhat at smaller schools to make sure they fill up their interview schedule, but then only give callbacks to people with numbers similar to their peers at NYU/Columbia. I feel like I've seen this argument before :D ...

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Emma. » Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:lol TaipeiMort, now youve got me interested. I can see why they would relax floors somewhat at smaller schools to make sure they fill up their interview schedule, but then only give callbacks to people with numbers similar to their peers at NYU/Columbia. I feel like I've seen this argument before :D ...

No. Those numbers Taipei mentioned were for callback offers, not OCI interviews. Firms get no opportunity to pre screen for those initial OCI interviews.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Emma. wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:lol TaipeiMort, now youve got me interested. I can see why they would relax floors somewhat at smaller schools to make sure they fill up their interview schedule, but then only give callbacks to people with numbers similar to their peers at NYU/Columbia. I feel like I've seen this argument before :D ...

No. Those numbers Taipei mentioned were for callback offers, not OCI interviews. Firms get no opportunity to pre screen for those initial OCI interviews.

Interesting. So how exactly is that floor calculated? Is it the lowest GPA that got a callback in the last five years? Because it might be some dude who was really connected and/or alpha. I know interview aren't screened, but I thought the floor was just something the firms provided so students don't waste their time...

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Helmholtz » Wed May 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:lol TaipeiMort, now youve got me interested. I can see why they would relax floors somewhat at smaller schools to make sure they fill up their interview schedule, but then only give callbacks to people with numbers similar to their peers at NYU/Columbia. I feel like I've seen this argument before :D ...

No. Those numbers Taipei mentioned were for callback offers, not OCI interviews. Firms get no opportunity to pre screen for those initial OCI interviews.

Interesting. So how exactly is that floor calculated? Is it the lowest GPA that got a callback in the last five years? Because it might be some dude who was really connected and/or alpha. I know interview aren't screened, but I thought the floor was just something the firms provided so students don't waste their time...


Yeah, GPA floors are a pretty worthless metric tbh. It doesn't matter for most people that somebody who was below median, but had substantive experience working at a bulge-bracket bank/starting their own company/etc and fulfilled a firm's diversity desire, scored a V5/10/whatever offer. Averages and medians would be much more helpful, but as far as I know, these are not provided. I've seen OCI data from schools that provide both floors and medians/means, and the floors are not really a very good indicator of how selective a firm is, generally speaking. (But there's definitely an argument for keeping it secret, so I'm not necessarily faulting OCS here.)

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Emma. » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:lol TaipeiMort, now youve got me interested. I can see why they would relax floors somewhat at smaller schools to make sure they fill up their interview schedule, but then only give callbacks to people with numbers similar to their peers at NYU/Columbia. I feel like I've seen this argument before :D ...

No. Those numbers Taipei mentioned were for callback offers, not OCI interviews. Firms get no opportunity to pre screen for those initial OCI interviews.

Interesting. So how exactly is that floor calculated? Is it the lowest GPA that got a callback in the last five years? Because it might be some dude who was really connected and/or alpha. I know interview aren't screened, but I thought the floor was just something the firms provided so students don't waste their time...


I think it was based on two years data. But the low-end numbers of the ranges are all different, so it isn't just one kid. And this isn't used for recruiting purposes, it is OCS trying to help us out with bidding. If there were one super outlier I'm pretty sure OCS wouldn't include that person in the data so people didn't end up getting false hope and wasting bids.

0000001
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:58 am

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby 0000001 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 pm

So I've made my choice regarding Chicago, and in general am quite excited about my decision.

But I'm starting to get a little worried about the animosity towards Chicago in online forums like TLS and also that I experienced when visiting other schools ASWs. My current employer went to NYU and when I told him I choose Chicago over his alma mater he instantly made some snide comment about me being uber-conservative and making a poor choice in terms of schools - though he believes that if I get into Columbia I should attend it over NYU. Is this "label" as super serious/conservative/socially awkward/'inferiority complex that its not a top three' actually a label that students experience in the real world or is it just a result of the vibe at ASWs and on online forums?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby Emma. » Wed May 09, 2012 11:28 pm

0000001 wrote:So I've made my choice regarding Chicago, and in general am quite excited about my decision.

But I'm starting to get a little worried about the animosity towards Chicago in online forums like TLS and also that I experienced when visiting other schools ASWs. My current employer went to NYU and when I told him I choose Chicago over his alma mater he instantly made some snide comment about me being uber-conservative and making a poor choice in terms of schools - though he believes that if I get into Columbia I should attend it over NYU. Is this "label" as super serious/conservative/socially awkward/'inferiority complex that its not a top three' actually a label that students experience in the real world or is it just a result of the vibe at ASWs and on online forums?


You'll be fine.

Talking to friends at schools like Berkeley that have the complete opposite reputation, it really doesn't sound like their experience is any different from the UChicago experience. The school is more politically conservative than some other institutions, but that just means there is a closer to a 50-50 split between liberal and conservative views. My conservative friends complain that our faculty is way too liberal!

Chicago students also have a reputation for being hardworking, which serves us really well at OCI.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 am

Emma. wrote:
0000001 wrote:So I've made my choice regarding Chicago, and in general am quite excited about my decision.

But I'm starting to get a little worried about the animosity towards Chicago in online forums like TLS and also that I experienced when visiting other schools ASWs. My current employer went to NYU and when I told him I choose Chicago over his alma mater he instantly made some snide comment about me being uber-conservative and making a poor choice in terms of schools - though he believes that if I get into Columbia I should attend it over NYU. Is this "label" as super serious/conservative/socially awkward/'inferiority complex that its not a top three' actually a label that students experience in the real world or is it just a result of the vibe at ASWs and on online forums?


You'll be fine.

Talking to friends at schools like Berkeley that have the complete opposite reputation, it really doesn't sound like their experience is any different from the UChicago experience. The school is more politically conservative than some other institutions, but that just means there is a closer to a 50-50 split between liberal and conservative views. My conservative friends complain that our faculty is way too liberal!

Chicago students also have a reputation for being hardworking, which serves us really well at OCI.


Dude, I attended a party school in CA for undergrad. The people here at Chicago are more awesome than most of my bros there. They are laid back and chill at the same time. People were a little uptight 1L year, but after I got to know everyone (2L year), people were a million times more awesome. Also, the 1L class below us actually has a bunch of really nice people as well. I pegged them as being uptight, but then they kind of grew on me.

User avatar
echamberlin8
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah, I'm aware I'm way ahead of myself in terms of thinking about Chicago, considering I haven't even taken the LSAT yet, but I can't help it! My brain always likes to think ahead of where I am. People on here always get so annoyed with theoretical conversations it seems. Anyways, I'm using my interest in and hope to go to Chicago as motivation for studying. It definitely takes a lot more to motivate me to study my ass off than just thinking about getting a bunch of answers right on a test. I like to think about the kind of schools I have a chance at, and use that as motivation to study.

I'll try to refrain from posting in here anymore.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I really like pretty much everyone in the law school class (even that dude that uses wine mess emails to insult conservatives and professors)


:lol: :lol: :lol:




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joeytribbiani, theboringest and 4 guests