UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
echamberlin8

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:58 am

No real questions here. Just popping in to say that I'm very interested in applying to UChi this fall. Do you guys feel close enough to downtown Chicago to feel connected at all to the city?

What are your overall thoughts on UChi? Is it worth going to over, say, NYU? I plan to work in NYC, but I figure that maybe taking a break in another city before going there might be worth it, but I've heard that Chicago is somewhat far away from the actual city, and feels isolated/somewhat depressing. I am considering it, though.

Is it true that they look more at the LSAT than at your GPA in comparison to other peer schools? I've heard that before, but Columbia/NYU seem to be more willing to accept people in with high LSATs and low GPAs. For reference, my GPA is a 3.73. Studying for the October LSAT now....

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 04, 2012 12:15 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:No real questions here. Just popping in to say that I'm very interested in applying to UChi this fall. Do you guys feel close enough to downtown Chicago to feel connected at all to the city?

What are your overall thoughts on UChi? Is it worth going to over, say, NYU? I plan to work in NYC, but I figure that maybe taking a break in another city before going there might be worth it, but I've heard that Chicago is somewhat far away from the actual city, and feels isolated/somewhat depressing. I am considering it, though.

Is it true that they look more at the LSAT than at your GPA in comparison to other peer schools? I've heard that before, but Columbia/NYU seem to be more willing to accept people in with high LSATs and low GPAs. For reference, my GPA is a 3.73. Studying for the October LSAT now....

I love Hyde Park and still feel connected to the city and go downtown a lot. Some people hate Hyde Park and complain about it. It's all personal preference, so it just depends on what you're looking for.

UChicago is a great school, but so is NYU. Among CCN, I'm a huge proponent of following the money. I was lucky that UChicago was my first choice and gave me by far the best scholarship, but had NYU given me more money, I would have attended NYU. I also think "somewhat far" and "isolated/depressing" are pretty silly. You can live downtown if you want. Coming from small towns/suburbs, I think getting into the city is a breeze and much prefer the cheaper rent here in Hyde Park, but really, it's all just personal opinion.

GPA is more important here than at peer schools in recent years. Our median GPA is a 3.87, which is well above NYU and Columbia.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Dany wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:No real questions here. Just popping in to say that I'm very interested in applying to UChi this fall. Do you guys feel close enough to downtown Chicago to feel connected at all to the city?

I love Hyde Park and still feel connected to the city and go downtown a lot. Some people hate Hyde Park and complain about it. It's all personal preference, so it just depends on what you're looking for.

UChicago is a great school, but so is NYU. Among CCN, I'm a huge proponent of following the money. I was lucky that UChicago was my first choice and gave me by far the best scholarship, but had NYU given me more money, I would have attended NYU. I also think "somewhat far" and "isolated/depressing" are pretty silly. You can live downtown if you want. Coming from small towns/suburbs, I think getting into the city is a breeze and much prefer the cheaper rent here in Hyde Park, but really, it's all just personal opinion.

GPA is more important here than at peer schools in recent years. Our median GPA is a 3.87, which is well above NYU and Columbia.

Thanks for the quick response. About how far of a car drive is Hyde from the "city proper" of Chicago? I currently live in Arlington, VA, which is right across the river from Georgetown and the rest of downtown Washington, DC, and I love my living conditions. Often living right in the heart of a city is very expensive, very crowded, and I imagine very noisy/dirty. So I wouldn't be averse to living right next to a downtown area instead of right in the middle. Usually your living space is a lot nicer in these situations too.

Yes, I've noticed that Chicago does have very high GPA numbers as of late. That's why I thought it was weird when I read that it cared more about the LSAT and less about the GPA than do some of its peers. I actually read that here on TLS's write-up on Chicago: http://www.top-law-schools.com/chicago-law-school.html.

Has their GPA median shot up in the last year? Only a year ago, in 2011, their 75% GPA was only a 3.79. Now that is well below their median. :( That doesn't bode too well for me. I only have a 3.73. Would you say they place less emphasis on the LSAT than their peers because of this GPA-heavy strategy?

Are most of the students at Chicago K-JD's or otherwise very young, or do most of them have work experience? I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. I should be heading into law school at age 26 (I'm 24 right now). By that point, I should have 3-4 years of work experience, 2 of them at a V25 firm as a project assistant/paralegal. I'm hoping this helps my somewhat underwhelming (by T6 standards) GPA, assuming I get a 170+ LSAT.

Thanks for taking my questions. I appreciate it.

PS: What do you think of UChi at sticker vs. NU with a scholarship if one's goal is NYC BigLaw?

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri May 04, 2012 12:54 pm

echamberlin (and other 0Ls), you should download the ClearAdmit guide, it has answers to many of your questions:

http://law.clearadmit.com/law-school-guides/

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:echamberlin (and other 0Ls), you should download the ClearAdmit guide, it has answers to many of your questions:

http://law.clearadmit.com/law-school-guides/

Thanks!

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri May 04, 2012 3:19 pm

I'd say it's like a ten minute drive max? It's a 20 minute bus ride, and that makes stops. Lake Shore Drive makes getting anywhere suuuper speedy.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Do you guys regret going at all? If I got into NYU or Chicago, at the moment I'm thinking I would take Chicago. Of course this is about as hypothetical as you get. I'm just starting to study hardcore for my LSAT. But I can always hope!

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri May 04, 2012 4:41 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Do you guys regret going at all? If I got into NYU or Chicago, at the moment I'm thinking I would take Chicago. Of course this is about as hypothetical as you get. I'm just starting to study hardcore for my LSAT. But I can always hope!

I don't regret choosing Chicago over any other top school. The city is great, the professors are great, you work only as much as you would anywhere else, and the job prospects are about as good as they get.

Sometimes I do regret paying $40,000 a year in tuition here (after scholarship) when I could have graduated literally debt free from my local T40, and I wouldn't mind working in that secondary market. I might end up back there anyway, in which case I will have paid $120k + interest to get the same job as someone who went there and graduated for free.

The benefit is options. If I was outside of the top 10% at the school, I wouldn't have been able to get the biglaw job that I want.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri May 04, 2012 8:00 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Do you guys regret going at all? If I got into NYU or Chicago, at the moment I'm thinking I would take Chicago. Of course this is about as hypothetical as you get. I'm just starting to study hardcore for my LSAT. But I can always hope!

Sometimes I regret my decision to go to law school at all, but I haven't ever regretted choosing UChi.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Emma. wrote:

Sometimes I regret my decision to go to law school at all, but I haven't ever regretted choosing UChi.

Is this a real regret or just a "I hate exams/reading in the moment" regret

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Emma. wrote:

Exactly this.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Br3v wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Is this a real regret or just a "I hate exams/reading in the moment" regret

It is genuine. Don't go to law school unless you have a real understanding of what lawyering is like, and genuinely think you want to do it. For what I want to do, I probably could have just gone to B school

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri May 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Law school gets old after awhile. Don't get me wrong, the people are great. The professors are interesting. The administrators are awesome. The education is good.

The first year you work like crazy and are incredibly self-hating because you know your life is on the line. The second year you work hard and are happy to have a job. However, after you get about halfway through you realize that most of what you are learning will not be helping you at all at your job-- then you ask yourself: "Why do I have to pay piles of money to have this signaling device which enables the top firms to hire me and retrain me?-- Wouldn't it be better if we all just took the LSAT and then went to OCI?"

However, then you go to some awesome lunch talk or mess around with a classmate that you know you wouldn't have met if it wasn't for law school and feel okay at the end.

I just don't like the feeling of being a hamster on a wheel going through formalities just waiting to get off and actually go to my job.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I do. It's nothing against Chicago just my professional goals changed and the job I want/got could have been gotten from Michigan, Duke, Northwestern, etc. and it would've saved me a ton of debt. It's not a huge regret because there was no way I would've known this last year.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun May 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Do they give out an award for worst brief ever written?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun May 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Flash wrote:Do they give out an award for worst brief ever written?

:lol:

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 pm

when do finals usually end during your 1L/2L/3L?
Last edited by GoodFood on Sun May 06, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun May 06, 2012 10:43 pm

GoodFood wrote:when do finals usually end during your 1L/2L/3L?

1Ls end June 6 this year and 2Ls and 3Ls end I think May 25th. I think it's usually within 2-3 days of those dates every year.
Last edited by Flash on Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Flash wrote:

1Ls end June 6 this year and 2Ls and 3Ls end I think May 25th. I think it's usually within 2-3 days of those dates every year.

thank you!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun May 06, 2012 10:59 pm

GoodFood wrote:
Flash wrote:

thank you!

If you can swing it, you should also plan on keeping the week following 1L exams free to work on the write-on. You can do it while working, but its really nice to get that break and not be rushed doing the competition & work.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun May 06, 2012 11:03 pm

I will win this and lord it over you.

Flash

Postby Flash » Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Dany wrote:

I will win this and lord it over you.

like hell you will

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun May 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Emma. wrote:
GoodFood wrote:
Flash wrote:

thank you!

If you can swing it, you should also plan on keeping the week following 1L exams free to work on the write-on. You can do it while working, but its really nice to get that break and not be rushed doing the competition & work.

Argh, I had forgotten how terrible 1L summer was. However, I agree with your sentiment entirely. I didn't ask off and I felt that I should've.

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Sun May 06, 2012 11:29 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Argh, I had forgotten how terrible 1L summer was. However, I agree with your sentiment entirely. I didn't ask off and I felt that I should've.

Any particular reason?

When should we start applying for 1L jobs? How difficult is it to be an RA with a professor, and how should we go about making that happen? Develop a close bond and stuff, right? Was anyone here an RA? What's the experience like, and how do firms view RAing vs. something else law related (not 1L SA obviously)?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 pm

GoodFood wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Argh, I had forgotten how terrible 1L summer was. However, I agree with your sentiment entirely. I didn't ask off and I felt that I should've.

Any particular reason?

When should we start applying for 1L jobs? How difficult is it to be an RA with a professor, and how should we go about making that happen? Develop a close bond and stuff, right? Was anyone here an RA? What's the experience like, and how do firms view RAing vs. something else law related (not 1L SA obviously)?

Went from finals --> write-on --> work --> OCI with only like a week or two break in-between.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”