UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Br3v

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu May 03, 2012 11:16 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
I would recommend interviewing with Susman anyway for the sheer entertainment value. I would pay to interview with that firm again. Those guys were the most offensive and hilarious people I've met in years.

That sounds like a storytime opening to me. Do tell?

Well, one wore sweats and the other was in an incredibly nice suit. The two played a good cop/ bad cop routine where one would say something offensive to your face, and the other one would reraise you self esteem. I knew they were going to do this before hand, with two separate people telling me from former year "what ever they say, no matter how absurd, don't break eye contact or the interview is over." I never broke eye contact and pushed back a bit, and made fun of them a little. When they stopped messing with me, we talked about why Home Depot was an awesome place to work (even though it wasn't on my resume), they had me give the pitch I was about to give for to a transactional law firm on my schedule, and just messed around. Before I noticed, we were 10 minutes into the next applicant's 20 minute time slot. The good cop said "maybe we should let her in," the bad cop replied "If she doesn't have the <expletive> guts to knock on the door to a job interview loud enough for us to hear it, she doesn't deserve interview time." The good cop replied "Sounds reasonable," and they continued to discuss random crap with me for the next five minutes. The funniest part was when they got into a loud discussion at the door with a recruiter from another firm about the "awesomely low grade" that Helmholtz had given a student. The recruiter replied with a loud laugh "I know, I saw that person's transcript too, that was crazy."

This is hilarious. I want to hear more of these, if you've got them!

This is real? Lol. Are most interviews anything like this?

GoodFood

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Postby GoodFood » Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

I plan on staying at Regents for 1L if I come, but I want to come back to NY during the summer. Where do you guys recommend I keep my stuff or deal with this situation in general? I obviously can't drag it back and forth with me. Does anyone sublet their apartment/is this advisable/allowed at Regents? Any storage units you guys would recommend?

This is one of the biggest issues I have with staying in Chicago actually lol. Do students have arrangements with other law students that would allow them to move their stuff in during the summer or something?

I plan on buying completely new furniture rather than moving my really heavy stuff all the way to Chicago. Any and all advice on this front would be appreciated as well. I'm presuming I should buy small stuff that's easy to disassemble.

Also, how do you guys deal with TV and stuff? The apartments aren't furnished, do each roommates agree to buy one together? I've never had a stranger roommate so it'd be nice to know how all of that goes down!

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 03, 2012 6:59 pm

I think most people who are working in other cities just leave all their stuff in the Chicago apartment and try to sublet it as a furnished apartment. I don't think there are tons of people looking to sublet in Hyde Park for the summer, though, but perhaps someone who's tried this can chime in?

A ton of people I know got furniture from Ikea, and that seemed to work out really well. I had a lot of success looking for stuff on Craigslist as well (but I looked for a while because I wanted stuff in good condition).

As far as dealing with a roommate and apartment supplies, you just need to talk to the person. I very highly discourage splitting the cost of things like a TV, though. If you move out after 1L year you don't want to have to figure out who gets what and how much to pay for a now-used item. Just talk to them. If you're providing the furniture, perhaps they can get a TV or vice versa. Make a list of what you already have and go from there.

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Dany wrote:I think most people who are working in other cities just leave all their stuff in the Chicago apartment and try to sublet it as a furnished apartment. I don't think there are tons of people looking to sublet in Hyde Park for the summer, though, but perhaps someone who's tried this can chime in?

A ton of people I know got furniture from Ikea, and that seemed to work out really well. I had a lot of success looking for stuff on Craigslist as well (but I looked for a while because I wanted stuff in good condition).

As far as dealing with a roommate and apartment supplies, you just need to talk to the person. I very highly discourage splitting the cost of things like a TV, though. If you move out after 1L year you don't want to have to figure out who gets what and how much to pay for a now-used item. Just talk to them. If you're providing the furniture, perhaps they can get a TV or vice versa. Make a list of what you already have and go from there.

That had never crossed my mind. Good to know.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Question/PSA for fellow 0Ls as well as current students:
After a little research, it seems like short of physically apartment-hunting you are limited to basically two options: Regents or Grad Housing. Here is a back-of-the-napkin cost of each for 1L Year:

Grad Housing:
Studio: ~850 (depending on building)+$80 Parking = ~930
1B: ~950+$80 Parking =~$1030
2BR: ~1100+$80 Parking =~1180
Heat/Water/Gas seem to be included in almost all buildings, and furnished is like an extra $25 a month, if even.
Anywhere between a 30 second walk and 10 minute bike ride from the Law School.

Regents: (LinkRemoved)
Studio : ~$1000+$70 Utilities+$175 Parking+$50 Furniture=~$1295
One Bedroom: ~$1300+$70 Utilities+$175 Parking+$50 Furniture=~$1595
2BR: ~$1800+$70 Utilities+$175 Parking+$50 Furniture=~$2095
Assumes $600 in total furniture cost (it will be much higher if you're buying from IKEA).
$400 Non-Refundable app/move-in fee (so add like $35 more per month).
15-20 minute shuttle from Law School.
Free Gym (though you already have membership to UChi Gyms), In-building Mini-grocery, etc...

And the biggest kicker: As mentioned earlier, Grad Housing is a 9-month lease, while The Regents (and other "normal" buildings) has a 12-month minimum. If you can't find a sublet for whatever reason, that's a lot of money to piss away.

For those who live/plan on living in The Regents: Why? Do you think the premium was/is worth it? Am I missing something? I find it kind of strange that as debt-conscious/averse as people are around here, people ITT and on the Facebook page are just taking for granted that they need to spring for Regents...
Last edited by Mad Hatter on Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Question/PSA for fellow 0Ls as well as current students:
After a little research, it seems like short of physically apartment-hunting you are limited to basically two options: Regents or Grad Housing. Here is a back-of-the-napkin cost of each for 1L Year:

Grad Housing:
Heat/Water/Gas seem to be included in almost all buildings, and furnished is like an extra $25 a month, if even.

Assumes $600 in total furniture cost (it will be much higher if you're buying from IKEA).
Free Gym and stuff (though you already have membership to Ratner Gym...).

And the biggest kicker: As mentioned earlier, Grad Housing is a 9-month lease, while The Regents (and other "normal" buildings) has a 12-month minimum. If you can't find a sublet for whatever reason, that's a lot of money to piss away.

For those who live/plan on living in The Regents: Why? Do you think the premium was/is worth it? Am I missing something? I find it kind of strange that as debt-conscious/averse as people are around here, people ITT and on the Facebook page are just taking for granted that they need to spring for Regents...

Why would you be limited to these two? What about Algonquin, Del Prado, Padmapper....?

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu May 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Algonquin/Del Prado seem marginally cheaper (10-15% cheaper rent, $150 parking), but I simply could't find as much info on their websites. As for Padmapper/HotPads, do people use them long-distance? Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing something like that without being on location and checking out the place. For those that have the option, great, but it seems like most do not...

nordicsair

Postby nordicsair » Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Question/PSA for fellow 0Ls as well as current students:

Grad Housing:

Free Gym (though you already have membership to UChi Gyms), In-building Mini-grocery, etc...

My Regents 2BR rent is ~$350 less than what you're quoting. An important part of the price is access to all the buses, including the 6 to the city. I've never felt the need for a car, which means not paying that parking fee. There are some other useful amenities (free printing, drycleaning/tailor in the building, package valet, etc.).
Obviously it's still going to come out more expensive, but there are factors that can make it worth it for you. It will depend on your preferences.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Yeah $1450ish is the cheapest you'll get a 2BR for, I was just taking the approx. average of the range. For those who don't have a car, how much do you pay per month in bus tickets/cards?

nordicsair

Postby nordicsair » Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Yeah $1450ish is the cheapest you'll get a 2BR for, I was just taking the approx. average of the range. For those who don't have a car, how much do you pay per month in bus tickets/cards?

the 171/172 are free for you. a trip to the city using a ctapass costs $2 each way for the 2/6 (or other bus), + unlimited transfers for an additional $.25

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu May 03, 2012 8:54 pm

If you live in HP, your only transportation costs (without a car) will be however much you take the bus downtown. Or bum rides off of friends.

Unless you are just jumping on the Regents train, I really suggest visiting sometime over the summer and going to look at apartments. I thought I was going to end up in a certain building and ended up loving another. If you can't make it out to Chicago, then in reality your best bet is the big buildings.

If you live in HP, I wouldn't count on being able to get a subletter for the summer. People do it, but you're going to be so busy spring quarter you have more important shit to deal with. I feel like most of the people who are going elsewhere for the summer (1) have parents/friends to crash with in their destination city, so no double rent, (2) their SO is staying in their apartment, (3) they are paying double rent.

It'll be fine, guys. You'll find your very own apartment to cry in while writing your brief spring quarter.

nordicsair

Postby nordicsair » Thu May 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Xifeng wrote:If you live in HP, I wouldn't count on being able to get a subletter for the summer. People do it, but you're going to be so busy spring quarter you have more important shit to deal with. I feel like most of the people who are going elsewhere for the summer (1) have parents/friends to crash with in their destination city, so no double rent, (2) their SO is staying in their apartment, (3) they are paying double rent.

I may have just been lucky, but I've found sublettors for my Regents apt both summers. If you're interested in subletting, just get your apt out there early.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

nordicsair wrote:
Xifeng wrote:If you live in HP, I wouldn't count on being able to get a subletter for the summer. People do it, but you're going to be so busy spring quarter you have more important shit to deal with. I feel like most of the people who are going elsewhere for the summer (1) have parents/friends to crash with in their destination city, so no double rent, (2) their SO is staying in their apartment, (3) they are paying double rent.

I may have just been lucky, but I've found sublettors for my Regents apt both summers. If you're interested in subletting, just get your apt out there early.

I've just heard some people complaining about it lately, but that's awesome!

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu May 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks for the responses so far (and this entire thread, for that matter), really helpful stuff. I definitely plan on visiting sometime, though grad housing seems like the best option for me simply because of the 9-month rent option and dirt-cheap rent. I'm trying to figure out a monthly budget atm, and it's proving...hard to swallow. I'm probably being too cheap, but I'll be damned if lawl school isn't too expensive already.

skers

Postby skers » Fri May 04, 2012 12:13 am

How much would should I expect to drop in utilities at Regents or similar places?

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 am

TemporarySaint wrote:How much would should I expect to drop in utilities at Regents or similar places?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p4247108

and

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p4244531
Last edited by Mad Hatter on Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Postby skers » Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 am

Mad Hatter wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:How much would should I expect to drop in utilities at Regents or similar places?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p4247108

Thanks bro.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 am

By the way, how long are these springs quarter briefs?
Also, are you graded just on the written component or the oral on as well?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 am

knickerbocker wrote:By the way, how long are these springs quarter briefs?
Also, are you graded just on the written component or the oral on as well?

I think 4500 words max. Not graded on oral.

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 am

These are the rental ranges on Regent's website:

RENTAL INFORMATION

Apartment Size Apx. Sq. Ft. Rent Range
Studio 550 - 650 $1045 - $1290
One Bedroom 715 - 750 $1170 - $1605
Two Bed / Two Bath 1,095 - 1,140 $1550 - $2100
Three Bed / Two Bath 1,255 $2025 - $2450
Four Bed / Four Bath 2,120 $3100 - $3200

Are the 2BR+ prices PER PERSON? Or total...

I was under the impression that that was the total monthly price...

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 am

That would be total.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Not graded on oral.

Not very rigorous :wink:

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 am

Xifeng wrote:That would be total.

Thank...God. Just had a mini panic attack. It seemed like Mad Hatter was presenting these prices as what HE would pay. Never mind, carry on!

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri May 04, 2012 12:37 am

GoodFood wrote:

Thank...God. Just had a mini panic attack. It seemed like Mad Hatter was presenting these prices as his what HE would pay. Never mind, carry on!

The prices I quoted are the approximate mean "law school special" rents for each apartment type, before adjustment for # of occupants.

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 am

Mad Hatter wrote:
GoodFood wrote:

Thank...God. Just had a mini panic attack. It seemed like Mad Hatter was presenting these prices as his what HE would pay. Never mind, carry on!

The prices I quoted are the approximate mean "law school special" rents for each apartment type, before adjustment for # of occupants.

Yeah I got that now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”