UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dresden doll

Platinum

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Post by dresden doll » Wed May 02, 2012 9:43 pm

GoodFood wrote: What does this mean?
It means that people bid conservatively and preferred not to waste interview slots on an uber selective firm.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 pm

dresden doll wrote:
It means that people bid conservatively and preferred not to waste interview slots on an uber selective firm.
Or just didn't want to work at a firm that requires crazy hours. You didn't need to "waste" a bid. Since they had open slots, you could have just signed up without bidding.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Emma. wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Or just didn't want to work at a firm that requires crazy hours. You didn't need to "waste" a bid. Since they had open slots, you could have just signed up without bidding.
That's why I said 'interview slots.' You only have so many slots per day; I'd sooner sign up with another firm.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed May 02, 2012 9:51 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Emma. wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
That's why I said 'interview slots.' You only have so many slots per day; I'd sooner sign up with another firm.
Yeah, good point. I know for sure there quite a few people that could have got WLRK and had no interest in it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Emma. wrote: Yeah, good point. I know for sure there quite a few people that could have got WLRK and had no interest in it.
Yeah, that's definitely true. I'd have sucked it up if I'd been a WLRK candidate but those hours are emphatically not for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Emma. wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Exactly. There are like 6 firms that you aren't getting if you are under a 179.5 no matter what.

I would recommend interviewing with Susman anyway for the sheer entertainment value. I would pay to interview with that firm again. Those guys were the most offensive and hilarious people I've met in years.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
I would recommend interviewing with Susman anyway for the sheer entertainment value. I would pay to interview with that firm again. Those guys were the most offensive and hilarious people I've met in years.
That sounds like a storytime opening to me. Do tell?

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
Well, one wore sweats and the other was in an incredibly nice suit. The two played a good cop/ bad cop routine where one would say something offensive to your face, and the other one would reraise you self esteem. I knew they were going to do this before hand, with two separate people telling me from former year "what ever they say, no matter how absurd, don't break eye contact or the interview is over." I never broke eye contact and pushed back a bit, and made fun of them a little. When they stopped messing with me, we talked about why Home Depot was an awesome place to work (even though it wasn't on my resume), they had me give the pitch I was about to give for to a transactional law firm on my schedule, and just messed around. Before I noticed, we were 10 minutes into the next applicant's 20 minute time slot. The good cop said "maybe we should let her in," the bad cop replied "If she doesn't have the <expletive> guts to knock on the door to a job interview loud enough for us to hear it, she doesn't deserve interview time." The good cop replied "Sounds reasonable," and they continued to discuss random crap with me for the next five minutes. The funniest part was when they got into a loud discussion at the door with a recruiter from another firm about the "awesomely low grade" that Helmholtz had given a student. The recruiter replied with a loud laugh "I know, I saw that person's transcript too, that was crazy."

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Emma. wrote: Yeah, good point. I know for sure there quite a few people that could have got WLRK and had no interest in it.
Am I misunderstanding this? I realize Wachtell is known for insane hours, but doesn't that entail close to double the total compensation of other V10 firms with only 15-20% more hours?

I'm a 0L who knows little about all of this, I guess I just assumed everyone who could get that kind of money would sell their soul to do it. 2-3 years of complete hell to pay off debt seems better than 4-5+ of 85% hell, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Am I misunderstanding this? I realize Wachtell is known for insane hours, but doesn't that entail close to double the total compensation of other V10 firms with only 15-20% more hours?

I'm a 0L who knows little about all of this, I guess I just assumed everyone who could get that kind of money would sell their soul to do it. 2-3 years of complete hell to pay off debt seems better than 4-5+ of 85% hell, no?
It shouldn't be surprising that people have different ideas about the quality of life they want when they choose where they work.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu May 03, 2012 12:07 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:

At other firms you might have some really rough weeks, but Wachtell regularly requires 100 hours of their associates. That is 14 hours every single day of the week. At other firms you might end up working 14 hours every day during the week, but you still get some weekends. That "only 15-20% more hours" completely destroys any hope you might have of having any free time. I think WLRK bonuses recently have been around 50% of base, so you are looking at ~$250K for absolutely no life. For some of us, that just isn't worth it.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 am

Haymarket wrote: It shouldn't be surprising that people have different ideas about the quality of life they want when they choose where they work.
Yeah, good point I suppose. I just looked at it as having no life anyway, why not get paid a bunch more so you can pay off debt more quickly and actually get a life a year or two sooner.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
Haymarket wrote: It shouldn't be surprising that people have different ideas about the quality of life they want when they choose where they work.
Yeah, good point I suppose. I just looked at it as having no life anyway, why not get paid a bunch more so you can pay off debt more quickly and actually get a life a year or two sooner.
"No life" is relative. If anything, the marginal value of each free hour is even higher when you have so few, so don't think "Well I'm going to be working 90 hours a week anyway, might as well make it 100."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am

bravenewworld wrote:Huh. A callback from Davis Polk from below median? Wow. I thought that didn't even happen at Harvard...
Read through this whole thread and saw that idea that NY is a fallback for UofC people. Don't quite get that: isn't NY the biggest, most lucrative and prestigious (as in, where most of the most prestigious firms are) legal market?
All my questions are asked the spirit of great humility. No one get upset, please...
When you actually get faced with the choice of living the life you want to live, prestige might not matter as much. I didn't even attend my highest vault-ranked callback because I knew I didn't want to live in NYC, and, frankly, sacrificing my quality of life for prestige was something not worthwhile to me. I think I had the same mindset as you as a 0L, but once you realize that you are actually faced with the circumstances you might think differently.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
bravenewworld wrote:Huh. A callback from Davis Polk from below median? Wow. I thought that didn't even happen at Harvard...
Read through this whole thread and saw that idea that NY is a fallback for UofC people. Don't quite get that: isn't NY the biggest, most lucrative and prestigious (as in, where most of the most prestigious firms are) legal market?
All my questions are asked the spirit of great humility. No one get upset, please...
[F]rankly, sacrificing my quality of life for prestige was somethingnot worthwhile to me I did when I chose to come to Chicago.
FTFM

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 am

TaipeiMort wrote: The funniest part was when they got into a loud discussion at the door with a recruiter from another firm about the "awesomely low grade" that Helmholtz had given a student. The recruiter replied with a loud laugh "I know, I saw that person's transcript too, that was crazy."
If I actually interviewed with Susman, I would be convinced that this was me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 am

Haymarket wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
[F]rankly, sacrificing my quality of life for prestige was somethingnot worthwhile to me I did when I chose to come to Chicago.
FTFM
When you actually land a job at OCI I think you'll find it was worth it. This week is especially rough for you guys. I think it was my worst one in all of 1L.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 am

Emma. wrote:When you actually land a job at OCI I think you'll find it was worth it. This week is especially rough for you guys. I think it was my worst one in all of 1L.
Well, let's hope Haymarket doesn't get more stressed than this week or he may burn down the school.

bravenewworld

New

Re: UChi Kids - The honeymoon is over & taking questions

Post by bravenewworld » Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 am

Is this finals week? Or the week that last graded brief is due?
Also, what's this Susman you speak of (full firm name)?
QoL is real, and I know NYC isn't for everyone, but it's home for me. I actually want to get back here because of that.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu May 03, 2012 1:04 am

Yeah, the brief is due Monday for the 1Ls. Our finals don't start til the 30th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 am

bravenewworld wrote:Is this finals week? Or the week that last graded brief is due?
Also, what's this Susman you speak of (full firm name)?
QoL is real, and I know NYC isn't for everyone, but it's home for me. I actually want to get back here because of that.
Susman (LinkRemoved)

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 03, 2012 10:38 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
Well, one wore sweats and the other was in an incredibly nice suit. The two played a good cop/ bad cop routine where one would say something offensive to your face, and the other one would reraise you self esteem. I knew they were going to do this before hand, with two separate people telling me from former year "what ever they say, no matter how absurd, don't break eye contact or the interview is over." I never broke eye contact and pushed back a bit, and made fun of them a little. When they stopped messing with me, we talked about why Home Depot was an awesome place to work (even though it wasn't on my resume), they had me give the pitch I was about to give for to a transactional law firm on my schedule, and just messed around. Before I noticed, we were 10 minutes into the next applicant's 20 minute time slot. The good cop said "maybe we should let her in," the bad cop replied "If she doesn't have the <expletive> guts to knock on the door to a job interview loud enough for us to hear it, she doesn't deserve interview time." The good cop replied "Sounds reasonable," and they continued to discuss random crap with me for the next five minutes. The funniest part was when they got into a loud discussion at the door with a recruiter from another firm about the "awesomely low grade" that Helmholtz had given a student. The recruiter replied with a loud laugh "I know, I saw that person's transcript too, that was crazy."
This is hilarious. I want to hear more of these, if you've got them!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu May 03, 2012 11:16 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
This is hilarious. I want to hear more of these, if you've got them!
This is real? Lol. Are most interviews anything like this?

GoodFood

New

Post by GoodFood » Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

I plan on staying at Regents for 1L if I come, but I want to come back to NY during the summer. Where do you guys recommend I keep my stuff or deal with this situation in general? I obviously can't drag it back and forth with me. Does anyone sublet their apartment/is this advisable/allowed at Regents? Any storage units you guys would recommend?

This is one of the biggest issues I have with staying in Chicago actually lol. Do students have arrangements with other law students that would allow them to move their stuff in during the summer or something?

I plan on buying completely new furniture rather than moving my really heavy stuff all the way to Chicago. Any and all advice on this front would be appreciated as well. I'm presuming I should buy small stuff that's easy to disassemble.

Also, how do you guys deal with TV and stuff? The apartments aren't furnished, do each roommates agree to buy one together? I've never had a stranger roommate so it'd be nice to know how all of that goes down!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”