UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rundoxierun

Re: UChi 1Ls - Back at School & Taking Questions

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Whatever happened with those expected LRAP improvements?? If they actually finalize a new LRAP program while we (c/o 2014) are students would we be eligible for it?? (I realize these questions are a bit of a stretch).

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:20 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Whatever happened with those expected LRAP improvements?? If they actually finalize a new LRAP program while we (c/o 2014) are students would we be eligible for it?? (I realize these questions are a bit of a stretch).

Since LRAP is only relevant post graduation, I'd like to hope if they make any changes in the next couple years any of us who haven't yet graduated will be eligible for the new program. Of course, I don't have any idea if it actually works that way.

t-pain

Postby t-pain » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Last edited by t-pain on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 pm

t-pain wrote:Anybody know when we will get our grades?

What, you didnt get yours?

t-pain

Postby t-pain » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Last edited by t-pain on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Last edited by TaipeiMort on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

cough
Last edited by JollyGreenGiant on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm

If anyone's question for us is, "Does UoC give any sort of reasonable estimate as to when grades can/should be expected?" the answer is no.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Last edited by 0L Hoping for 1 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

eskimo wrote:When's the latest we should be thinking about applying to live in Regents if we're still not 100% on Chicago (but like 95%)? Is it worth it to pay the app fee soon just in case we want to live there, even though I won't know until after my visit in late April?

Oh, and do y'all know anyone that lives in Windermere?

I have so many more questions than everyone else... :oops:

Seriously, thank you all so much for taking the time to answer all our questions!

I don't know anything about applying for Regents but I think I know someone who lives in Windermere. I'll check and see if that's accurate and maybe have him/her give me some thoughts about it to share.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 pm

You may not know, since you are only 1Ls and not 2Ls, but from what you gather, was Chicago's OCI as bad as autoadmit makes it out to be?

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:09 pm

trudat15 wrote:You may not know, since you are only 1Ls and not 2Ls, but from what you gather, was Chicago's OCI as bad as autoadmit makes it out to be?

The answer to that question is always 'no.'

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm

California Babe wrote:
eskimo wrote:When's the latest we should be thinking about applying to live in Regents if we're still not 100% on Chicago (but like 95%)? Is it worth it to pay the app fee soon just in case we want to live there, even though I won't know until after my visit in late April?

Oh, and do y'all know anyone that lives in Windermere?

I have so many more questions than everyone else... :oops:

Seriously, thank you all so much for taking the time to answer all our questions!

I don't know anything about applying for Regents but I think I know someone who lives in Windermere. I'll check and see if that's accurate and maybe have him/her give me some thoughts about it to share.

I know someone who lives in Windermere. I think he likes it pretty well. The location is awesome and he has a pretty huge studio apartment. It is an older building and definitely not super luxurious, but it seems like a great option if you want to live on your own. I haven't seen the bigger apartments so can't comment on them.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:54 pm

I don't know if this has been asked yet because I'm being lazy, but what would say life is like at UofC, is it still possible to have a social life as 1L (if you're posting here I assume that's yes to some extent...well to the extent that TLS is considered a social life). I just refuse to believe all that "it's where fun goes to die" talk that I keep hearing. Secondly, what was your economics background coming into U of C, I mean I read the Economist, etc., but I am a PoliSci/Philosophy guy and I'm limited there. To what extent would I be hindered? Like I haven't taken any upper level econ courses or anything like that. I know that Harvard or example has this class called "Analytic Methods for Lawyers" which encompasses stats, econ, accounting, game theory, etc. I would really only need to learn the accounting and econ aspects, but I think it's a good idea. Does U of C have anything like that? Because I would be really interested in courses such as economic analysis of the law, but I don't want to be in over my head. Thanks.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I don't know if this has been asked yet because I'm being lazy, but what would say life is like at UofC, is it still possible to have a social life as 1L (if you're posting here I assume that's yes to some extent...well to the extent that TLS is considered a social life). I just refuse to believe all that "it's where fun goes to die" talk that I keep hearing. Secondly, what was your economics background coming into U of C, I mean I read the Economist, etc., but I am a PoliSci/Philosophy guy and I'm limited there. To what extent would I be hindered? Like I haven't taken any upper level econ courses or anything like that. I know that Harvard or example has this class called "Analytic Methods for Lawyers" which encompasses stats, econ, accounting, game theory, etc. I would really only need to learn the accounting and econ aspects, but I think it's a good idea. Does U of C have anything like that? Because I would be really interested in courses such as economic analysis of the law, but I don't want to be in over my head. Thanks.

It is totally possible to have a social life, at least the first quarter. I think what surprised me the most about U of C is the great friends I've made. We hang out all the time (its easier if you live in Regents and your friends live in Regents) and its definitely doable to go out once or twice a weekend. Do I think I would be a little more prepared for class if I wasn't so social? Yes. But, provided when grades finally come out I'm not totally devastated, I don't plan to change anything. However, they do ease you into law school, and its definitely more work this quarter already than it was last quarter, so I would assume the socializing will happen a little less frequently now.

As for the econ, having a general background (and I mean very general, like ECON 1) does help, but you definitely don't need to have taken any upper level courses. Understanding efficiency is the most important thing they seem to stress. You can also take classes in any of the other grad programs, although not as a 1L. But if after Elements (where you do talk about econ somewhat) you still think you need more, you can do that.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:00 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I don't know if this has been asked yet because I'm being lazy, but what would say life is like at UofC, is it still possible to have a social life as 1L (if you're posting here I assume that's yes to some extent...well to the extent that TLS is considered a social life). I just refuse to believe all that "it's where fun goes to die" talk that I keep hearing. Secondly, what was your economics background coming into U of C, I mean I read the Economist, etc., but I am a PoliSci/Philosophy guy and I'm limited there. To what extent would I be hindered? Like I haven't taken any upper level econ courses or anything like that. I know that Harvard or example has this class called "Analytic Methods for Lawyers" which encompasses stats, econ, accounting, game theory, etc. I would really only need to learn the accounting and econ aspects, but I think it's a good idea. Does U of C have anything like that? Because I would be really interested in courses such as economic analysis of the law, but I don't want to be in over my head. Thanks.

It is totally possible to have a social life, at least the first quarter. I think what surprised me the most about U of C is the great friends I've made. We hang out all the time (its easier if you live in Regents and your friends live in Regents) and its definitely doable to go out once or twice a weekend. Do I think I would be a little more prepared for class if I wasn't so social? Yes. But, provided when grades finally come out I'm not totally devastated, I don't plan to change anything. However, they do ease you into law school, and its definitely more work this quarter already than it was last quarter, so I would assume the socializing will happen a little less frequently now.

As for the econ, having a general background (and I mean very general, like ECON 1) does help, but you definitely don't need to have taken any upper level courses. Understanding efficiency is the most important thing they seem to stress. You can also take classes in any of the other grad programs, although not as a 1L. But if after Elements (where you do talk about econ somewhat) you still think you need more, you can do that.

Thank you, I left out a deep breathe...econometrics will not be necessary then LOL. Couple more questions (pretty general), do you feel you already know what you want to do with the law and are going to gear your 2L year towards that? Does the university have good advisors in that regard? Do you happen to know anything about UChi's new federal clinic? It seems interesting.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 am

Kili wrote:Do you spend most of your time in the libraries? Would mind posting a typical schedule? And what would you say are your estimated hours spent studying each week ?

I only spend time in the library between classes, and writing assignments aside, I try to do 100% of my reading for two classes at school, and reading for the other two at home. Torts and Property reading are pretty light/easy to comprehend (so far), so I do those at school, and Crim and Contracts I do at home, since they are more in depth. I probably spend 2-4 hrs a day reading outside of class, plus 2-5 on Saturday, and usually nothing on Sunday. On weekdays I do 1-2 hours of work in the library, and then 1-3 hours of work at home. It really depends on the workload for the week.

M: class, library, class, home for dinner and nap, little bit of reading
T: class, class, library (sometimes), dinner, reading at home
W: class, library, class, hardcore reading at home while snacking
Th: class, library, class, grocery store, some reading, try to take this afternoon off a little
F: class, class, review of week's notes (about 2-3hrs), netflix
S: sleep in, reading, more reading, dinner/adventures downtown
Su: eating/shopping/movies/sleep, sometimes some reading before bed, but i try to take this day off.

A lot of people go to bar reviews on Thurs or go out on Fridays; sometimes I go out those nights, but most of the time I try to stay in until Saturday so I can get everything done by Saturday afternoon and be free for the next day and a half. It really helps me reset for the next week. Mondays are a lot worse when I spend all of Sunday working on an outline or something.

louie20945

Postby louie20945 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the good answers guys :)

I have a boring financial aid question to ask...since it sounds as though very few students got any need based aid from the university, would it be a bad idea to just forget filling out the needsaccess application? Since it is the only way the fin aid ppl would see my parents' income, I'm wondering if I should fill it out. My parents are certainly not helping fund my law school endeavors but I'm afraid that if fin aid sees my father's upper middle class income...they might throw that pesky expected family contribution line into my aid package. I would still be able to borrow up to the expected student budget with federal loans since i will submit my fafsa either way, correct?

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm

louie20945 wrote:Thanks for all the good answers guys :)

I have a boring financial aid question to ask...since it sounds as though very few students got any need based aid from the university, would it be a bad idea to just forget filling out the needsaccess application? Since it is the only way the fin aid ppl would see my parents' income, I'm wondering if I should fill it out. My parents are certainly not helping fund my law school endeavors but I'm afraid that if fin aid sees my father's upper middle class income...they might throw that pesky expected family contribution line into my aid package. I would still be able to borrow up to the expected student budget with federal loans since i will submit my fafsa either way, correct?

U of C just gives you one number for your aid, they do not break it down by merit or need. I'm almost certain that most of my aid was need-based, rather than merit, but I don't know for sure. I would think that if you didn't fill out the need-based aid form, you wouldn't be considered for aid at all, but again, I don't know that for sure.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:28 pm

louie20945 wrote:Thanks for all the good answers guys :)

Yes you will still be able to borrow the full student budget. Need or lack of need has no affect on how much you can borrow. There's no harm in filling out the Need Access, though. Your parents income isn't going to affect consideration for merit-based scholarships, and it won't affect what you can take out in loans.

U of C just gives you one number for your aid, they do not break it down by merit or need. I'm almost certain that most of my aid was need-based, rather than merit, but I don't know for sure. I would think that if you didn't fill out the need-based aid form, you wouldn't be considered for aid at all, but again, I don't know that for sure.

Need is not a factor for those receiving merit-aid, and most of the aid Chicago gives is merit-based. You only need to fill out NeedAccess if you want to be considered for need-based.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:20 am

How would you guys rate the International Law classes/program at UChi?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:How would you guys rate the International Law classes/program at UChi?

Hard to know as a 1L, and I guess it depends what you mean by "International Law."

This spring we have the option of taking either international trade law or comparative legal institutions for our elective class, but no one has had the chance to take an elective yet. Maybe a 2L or 3L can help out here?

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Have you gotten grades back yet?

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Emma. wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:How would you guys rate the International Law classes/program at UChi?

Hard to know as a 1L, and I guess it depends what you mean by "International Law."

This spring we have the option of taking either international trade law or comparative legal institutions for our elective class, but no one has had the chance to take an elective yet. Maybe a 2L or 3L can help out here?

More interested in public int'l than private.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”