UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
angrybird

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:13 pm

if it makes American_In_China feel better, Haymarket is the original aspie fuck.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 pm

knickerbocker wrote:When you say conservative, do you just mean that in terms of economics or libertariansm vs. statism? That is, are people at Chicago also somewhat more socially conservative than at peer schools? That's a concern, to some extent, for me.
Do people feel claustrophobic in Hyde Park because there isn't much to do, or is it fine?
Also, I'm going to see Regents on Saturday. Is that where most people live? How do people like it?
Finally, do most people spend most of their study-time in the library? If yes, it seems like living close to the law school would be nice, but that area felt dicey when I walked around there.
To all you working on briefs, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and good luck! (Sorry, I've got one more: is only the last of the three LRW assignments graded?)

Hyde Park is fine for 1L. You'll be busy, and to some extent there is a benefit in living somewhere with less going on to distract you. I'd highly recommend moving out of HP after 1L year though.

As far as social conservatives, there are some, but as Xifeng says, they are hardly in your face about their views, and there is also a very strong liberal contingent.

People study all over. I like the law library but some people can't stand it, and either study at home or at one of the other libraries. There's a super hogwarts-looking library right across the midway that is open 24 hours if that kind of thing floats your boat.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 pm

GoodFood wrote:How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

And how connected is the Law School to the entire University network? For example, Penn lets you take classes at Wharton for a certificate or something. Is there anything like that at Chicago, and do people actually take advantage of it?

First quarter is the most amazing thing in the world. I highly recommend treasuring it. Socialize, go outside, hug your family.

There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm

angrybird wrote:if it makes American_In_China feel better, Haymarket is the original aspie fuck.

:lol:

And he has friends at UChicago.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:17 pm

GoodFood wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Are you this spazzy and high-strung in real life? You average like 10 of these minute, mostly personal-preference based questions per post. I'm really wondering if any of these questions is important enough to make a difference.

Take it easy dude, it's the internet!

How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

And how connected is the Law School to the entire University network? For example, Penn lets you take classes at Wharton for a certificate or something. Is there anything like that at Chicago, and do people actually take advantage of it?

Yeah, many people take classes outside the law school. Mostly at Booth, but I know people taking a huge range of classes. There are also a significant number of business classes cross-listed and taught at the law school.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Xifeng wrote:
GoodFood wrote:How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

First quarter is the most amazing thing in the world. I highly recommend treasuring it. Socialize, go outside, hug your family.

There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.

+1 on fall quarter (THE GOOD OL' DAYS), and re: across the midway classes - I'll be sure to report back if they let me into Intro Norwegian.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Xifeng wrote:There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.

Also of note is that Chicago is increasing the amount of classes law students can take outside of the law school.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Xifeng wrote:There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.

Also of note is that Chicago is increasing the amount of classes law students can take outside of the law school.

Fo realz?

Also, everyone: Get of teh internets and come to bar review.

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Emma. wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Fo realz?

No, no, I have some more questions. :( Deposit deadline soon next week dude!

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Emma. wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Fo realz?

Real Chicago students TLS at bar review. Wait....

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 pm

NYU has a LOT of students into international law and all things related. I know it's not something you "do," but are there a lot of students at UChi interested in that as well? Any notable faculty members on the subjects?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Emma. wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Fo realz?

Well I'm only a 0L, but on my visit during ASW Dean Schill stressed that they're increasing the number of classes. I know it's at 4 classes now, but I'm not sure what it's going up to.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 pm

GoodFood wrote:NYU has a LOT of students into international law and all things related. I know it's not something you "do," but are there a lot of students at UChi interested in that as well? Any notable faculty members on the subjects?

Ginsburg is fantastic. A 1L elective is Comparative Legal Institutions (that he teaches). I'd say people are interested in it, but I don't know what exactly that translates to.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:34 am

Dear admits in Civ Pro: ignore whatever that girl in the leather jacket said. She is an objetively terrible person.
Last edited by Haymarket on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Haymarket wrote:Dean admits in Civ Pro: ignore whatever that girl in the leather jacket said. She is an objectively terrible person.

/eagerly awaits her reply in this thread

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Besides looking at places to live, is there any point to visiting on a weekend? I've already sat in on classes (didn't say a word), but I thought maybe walking around the area one more time might be useful.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Besides looking at places to live, is there any point to visiting on a weekend? I've already sat in on classes (didn't say a word), but I thought maybe walking around the area one more time might be useful.

This sounds useless to me. The whole point of visiting the law school is to get a feel for the students, professors, and administration. You're not going to find any of that on a weekend. The facilities should not be a major factor in your decision.

Looking for places to live is always a good use of time, though.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 pm

f7 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
angrybird wrote:if it makes American_In_China feel better, Haymarket is the original aspie fuck.

:lol:

And he has friends at UChicago.

Does he keep them all in his friend box?

And his "looks like a boy" box.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:16 pm

How many studetns are there in a typical 1L class, not including the LRW one?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 pm

knickerbocker wrote:How many studetns are there in a typical 1L class, not including the LRW one?

~90

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Boy did I miss a shitshow in here.

Also, fuck this brief. Fuck it fuck it fuck it.

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm starting to have reservations about my decision to enroll at Chicago. I still haven't withdrawn from NYU. I'd like to work in a large firm in NYC my 2L summer and after graduation. It seems to me that NYU students have better access to NYC firms. At least, an NYU student can be below median and stand a good chance of finding a Big Law job. Can Chicago students at median (where the vast majority of the class resides) access Big Law jobs in NYC?

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 pm

cjcregg wrote:I'm starting to have reservations about my decision to enroll at Chicago. I still haven't withdrawn from NYU. I'd like to work in a large firm in NYC my 2L summer and after graduation. It seems to me that NYU students have better access to NYC firms. At least, an NYU student can be below median and stand a good chance of finding a Big Law job. Can Chicago students at median (where the vast majority of the class resides) access Big Law jobs in NYC?

Chicago typically places better into Big Law than NYU.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 pm

cjcregg wrote:I'm starting to have reservations about my decision to enroll at Chicago. I still haven't withdrawn from NYU. I'd like to work in a large firm in NYC my 2L summer and after graduation. It seems to me that NYU students have better access to NYC firms. At least, an NYU student can be below median and stand a good chance of finding a Big Law job. Can Chicago students at median (where the vast majority of the class resides) access Big Law jobs in NYC?

Yes.

I have no idea what you mean about "better access," but you'll do just fine in NYC coming from UChi.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Emma. wrote:

Yes.

I have no idea what you mean about "better access," but you'll do just fine in NYC coming from UChi.

you mean to tell me nyc firms don't hire by walking out into the lobby, beckoning a random 1L lurking by the reception desk, and saying "come with me kid, you're gonna go far..."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”