UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lekal
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:32 am

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Lekal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm a 'she', and I very much meant it about promising to be quiet! Don't think it'll be an issue.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:And have you call him out here when Casey makes him talk in class?

Don't act like this isn't a public service. Someone has to do it.

You're making us look mean in front of the 0Ls! We want to make law school look like rainbows and puppy dogs and friendship bracelets so they attend and our school gets their numbers to brew a good USNews rank.

That's a good point. We do want their numbers. I will start tailoring my responses accordingly.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Lekal wrote:I'm a 'she', and I very much meant it about promising to be quiet! Don't think it'll be an issue.

Well, if you are straight, I believe that coming to Casey's Civ Pro is the obvious choice. Look him up on the faculty page if you want proof.

User avatar
angrybird
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 am

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:And have you call him out here when Casey makes him talk in class?

Don't act like this isn't a public service. Someone has to do it.

You're making us look mean in front of the 0Ls! We want to make law school look like rainbows and puppy dogs and friendship bracelets so they attend and our school gets their numbers to brew a good USNews rank.

That's a good point. We do want their numbers. I will start tailoring my responses accordingly.

it's cool, i don't go here

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

angrybird wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Don't act like this isn't a public service. Someone has to do it.

You're making us look mean in front of the 0Ls! We want to make law school look like rainbows and puppy dogs and friendship bracelets so they attend and our school gets their numbers to brew a good USNews rank.

That's a good point. We do want their numbers. I will start tailoring my responses accordingly.

it's cool, i don't go here

Transfer? Transfer.

User avatar
angrybird
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 am

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Haymarket wrote:
angrybird wrote:it's cool, i don't go here

Transfer? Transfer.

i'm applying basically everywhere but chicago. YHSBVD.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Lekal wrote:I'm a 'she', and I very much meant it about promising to be quiet! Don't think it'll be an issue.

Well, if you are straight, I believe that coming to Casey's Civ Pro is the obvious choice. Look him up on the faculty page if you want proof.


+1

I highly recommend choosing Casey's class :wink:

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm

American_in_China wrote:
angrybird wrote:
American_in_China wrote:I don't really see what was objectionable about my behavior.

of course you don't, you aspie fuck. i pity your future classmates. the class isn't for your benefit. you're not a student. you got the privilege of observing a class, so sit there and observe.


Uh. That's what I did. I didn't speak once unless Levmore asked me something. I don't think I said a single sentence longer than 10 seconds. You really need to chill out.

Oh, to the other poster; Levmore asked me to choose a term from a list the class had come up with and I just spit out the one I was used to using, not off the list the class came up with. I already agreed that was dumb, but in all fairness, I think it's an understandable error.


I was going to come in here and tell all the 1Ls that if they can't handle the spring quarter stress, they should stay the fuck out of my thread until after the brief is turned in. However, they are all 100% right. You don't pay to go here, you don't have to think about the final for that class in a few weeks. When you are sitting in on a class, leave the participation to the actual students.

Oh, and:


duckmoney wrote:
GoodFood wrote: I'm presuming the fact that they are cooler than the average cat registers a noticeable impact...


It sounds like NYU would be a better fit for you

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Haymarket wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Seriously... When I talked to Levmore later today I actually asked if he thought I was a distraction in any way and he said he enjoyed having me in the class and didn't find my responses distracting. Sorry that I didn't act like a scared 0L is supposed to. I treated the class like I would a real one and sat in on 3 specifically to try and imagine what going to school here would be like.

Oh, and when we covered comparative negligence in my undergraduate law and economics class "scattershot" was the term my professor used to describe a litigant's behavior toward the multiple defendants, which is why I volunteered it. Apologies for using the terminology I'm familiar with. I probably should have used the terms offered in class but I just said what came to mind.

I hope not all Chicago students are as touchy as Haymarket.


I am glad you had a good time. Understand that 1Ls are touchy people and that they have endured months if annoying gunner garbage, are stressed with writing assignments, and aren't going to enjoy anyone self-aggrandizing in class. No matter where you go, people aren't going to like it. Wait until 2L year-- then no one will care, and you can say whatever you want ( I m
ean anything). Make that your carrot.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodFood
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Emma. wrote:
duckmoney wrote:
GoodFood wrote: I'm presuming the fact that they are cooler than the average cat registers a noticeable impact...


It sounds like NYU would be a better fit for you


Why is everyone so mad at this? It's not even funny because, if anything, NYU is the LEAST likely T6 the snotty types self select into.

Genuine question: I'm a very clueless 0L when it comes to Chicago, but I heard from somewhere that the overall school has a bit of a conservative bias. I don't know what they meant by it/how it would actually materialize, but any truth to this? Either the law school as an institution or the student body?

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:43 pm

GoodFood wrote:Genuine question: I'm a very clueless 0L when it comes to Chicago, but I heard from somewhere that the overall school has a bit of a conservative bias. I don't know what they meant by it/how it would actually materialize, but any truth to this? Either the law school as an institution or the student body?


I think it might have more of a conservative bias in that there are a fair # of conservatives. Our Fed Soc is very active, there are a good number of conservative students, as well as professors. However, that doesn't mean that the majority is conservative or anything. It's very respectful in and out of the classroom, so even if you're super liberal (like me) it's definitely not a problem.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm

GoodFood wrote:
Emma. wrote:
duckmoney wrote:
GoodFood wrote: I'm presuming the fact that they are cooler than the average cat registers a noticeable impact...


It sounds like NYU would be a better fit for you


Why is everyone so mad at this? It's not even funny because, if anything, NYU is the LEAST likely T6 the snotty types self select into.

Genuine question: I'm a very clueless 0L when it comes to Chicago, but I heard from somewhere that the overall school has a bit of a conservative bias. I don't know what they meant by it/how it would actually materialize, but any truth to this? Either the law school as an institution or the student body?


First, to explain the joke, it wasn't about you being snobby, but rather about us not wanting you at Chicago.

Second, I think you have to understand a "conservative" law school in the context of law schools in general which are pretty liberal. A "conservative" law school is one where there is, relative to others, a greater mix of either some conservative faculty or at least more moderate/pragmatic/unassuming liberal faculty. I think the same thing applies to the student body. That being said, I actually think it makes the school a little less biased, maybe, in the sense that you are more likely to run into viewpoints that are different from your own.

User avatar
knickerbocker
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby knickerbocker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 pm

When you say conservative, do you just mean that in terms of economics or libertariansm vs. statism? That is, are people at Chicago also somewhat more socially conservative than at peer schools? That's a concern, to some extent, for me.
Do people feel claustrophobic in Hyde Park because there isn't much to do, or is it fine?
Also, I'm going to see Regents on Saturday. Is that where most people live? How do people like it?
Finally, do most people spend most of their study-time in the library? If yes, it seems like living close to the law school would be nice, but that area felt dicey when I walked around there.
To all you working on briefs, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and good luck! (Sorry, I've got one more: is only the last of the three LRW assignments graded?)

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 pm

knickerbocker wrote:When you say conservative, do you just mean that in terms of economics or libertariansm vs. statism? That is, are people at Chicago also somewhat more socially conservative than at peer schools? That's a concern, to some extent, for me.
Do people feel claustrophobic in Hyde Park because there isn't much to do, or is it fine?
Also, I'm going to see Regents on Saturday. Is that where most people live? How do people like it?
Finally, do most people spend most of their study-time in the library? If yes, it seems like living close to the law school would be nice, but that area felt dicey when I walked around there.
To all you working on briefs, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and good luck! (Sorry, I've got one more: is only the last of the three LRW assignments graded?)

Are you this spazzy and high-strung in real life? You average like 10 of these minute, mostly personal-preference based questions per post. I'm really wondering if any of these questions is important enough to make a difference.
Last edited by Haymarket on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodFood
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Haymarket wrote:First, to explain the joke, it wasn't about you being snobby, but rather about us not wanting you at Chicago.


...because I'm snobby? lol

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 pm

knickerbocker wrote:When you say conservative, do you just mean that in terms of economics or libertariansm vs. statism? That is, are people at Chicago also somewhat more socially conservative than at peer schools? That's a concern, to some extent, for me.
Do people feel claustrophobic in Hyde Park because there isn't much to do, or is it fine?
Also, I'm going to see Regents on Saturday. Is that where most people live? How do people like it?
Finally, do most people spend most of their study-time in the library? If yes, it seems like living close to the law school would be nice, but that area felt dicey when I walked around there.
To all you working on briefs, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and good luck! (Sorry, I've got one more: is only the last of the three LRW assignments graded?)


I'd say libertarian. Maybe a few social conservatives, but it's not like they wear t-shirts.

HP is fine, especially for 1L. You're pretty busy.

Most people live in Regents their 1L year, people seem to like it fine.

People study in the law school during the day a lot, but most people filter out by nighttime. There are also free UChicago shuttles that go around campus once the buses stop running.

No, the open memo during winter quarter is also graded.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:01 pm

GoodFood wrote:
Haymarket wrote:First, to explain the joke, it wasn't about you being snobby, but rather about us not wanting you at Chicago.


...because I'm snobby? lol

No, because you're not self-aware.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23644
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby chup » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:02 pm

So much RIGOR in this thread.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23644
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby chup » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Also Haymarket I know it must feel great being a big swinging dick 1L and everything, but you could be slightly less of an asshole.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm

angrybird wrote:of course you don't, you aspie fuck.

You. I like you.
Last edited by Emma. on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm

chup wrote:Also Haymarket I know it must feel great being a big swinging dick 1L and everything, but you could be slightly less of an asshole.

Fair. I think it's slightly less egregious in context. Still, noted.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 pm

I'm pretty sure every time Haymaker posts, somewhere a small pile of Rubinstein's money goes up in flames.

GoodFood
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Haymarket wrote:
knickerbocker wrote:When you say conservative, do you just mean that in terms of economics or libertariansm vs. statism? That is, are people at Chicago also somewhat more socially conservative than at peer schools? That's a concern, to some extent, for me.
Do people feel claustrophobic in Hyde Park because there isn't much to do, or is it fine?
Also, I'm going to see Regents on Saturday. Is that where most people live? How do people like it?
Finally, do most people spend most of their study-time in the library? If yes, it seems like living close to the law school would be nice, but that area felt dicey when I walked around there.
To all you working on briefs, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and good luck! (Sorry, I've got one more: is only the last of the three LRW assignments graded?)


Are you this spazzy and high-strung in real life? You average like 10 of these minute, mostly personal-preference based questions per post. I'm really wondering if any of these questions is important enough to make a difference.


Take it easy dude, it's the internet!

How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

And how connected is the Law School to the entire University network? For example, Penn lets you take classes at Wharton for a certificate or something. Is there anything like that at Chicago, and do people actually take advantage of it?
Last edited by GoodFood on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 pm

chup wrote:Also Haymarket I know it must feel great being a big swinging dick 1L and everything, but you could be slightly less of an asshole.

This.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23644
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby chup » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Haymarket wrote:
chup wrote:Also Haymarket I know it must feel great being a big swinging dick 1L and everything, but you could be slightly less of an asshole.

Fair. I think it's slightly less egregious in context. Still, noted.

If someone is genuinely being an idiot, or an asshole, or clueless, or is refusing to listen to good-natured advice, by all means: bombs away. But if you find yourself raging at a poster because of the specificity and frequency of questions about certain elements of Hyde Park and the 1L experience, sit back and count to 10.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], littlewing67 and 5 guests