UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Xifeng

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:33 pm

COME TO UCHICAGO, THE MOST FRIENDLY OF LAW SCHOOLS*.

*lol

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Xifeng wrote: MOST FRIENDLY

ಠ_ಠ

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
knickerbocker wrote:Sorry to keep asking about LRW, but the reason I keep asking is that at the other place I'm considering, NYU, LRW isn't graded.
I thought that about 25% of the class got the equivalent of an A-range grade? Is that not right?

In my LRW section (30 people?) 3 received an A.

Out of curiosity, how do you know this? Is it on your transcript?

My professor told us this.

1L year 10% of people get As, 10% get Cs. You may hate this now. However, it helps you a ton come OCI, as most employers don't care about grades because everyone has similar grades.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Oh, so you're all saying that it doesn't matter that NYU has a far gentler curve than Chicago? We're talking 10% As vs. 31% As. That's huge.
It's hard for me to believe that employers take that into account fully. That is, they don't consider a B-range Chicago grade to be equal to an A- at NYU, although it may well be the same.
What percent of a 1L class at Chicago gets a C-range grade or below (173 or below)?
Even if employers do take all this into account, I feel like it would crush my spirit to get all Bs.

What it means in practice is that most employers will be willing to take most students, and some wont care about your grades at all, while excellent students can still differentiate themselves for clerkships and 6 or so law firms. This is different from bigger class-sized schools which can't place their whole class and need a way to cast 10% to the bottom to graduate jobless. Yale, Stanford, and Chicago obscure the pecking order because they had so few people that they can get full employment through gaming the system.

Also, I get mostly A's and C's. Some people get all Bs. Who cares? For the first time in your life you'll be up against peers in every course, all the time.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say that it's hard for me to believe that employers might look at grades that way.
What you all have said makes sense.
I do like UChicago a lot, but I also love New York, and my SO, friends, and family are here, so I'm just figuring out whether it's worth leaving that.

Bildungsroman wrote:
knickerbocker wrote:It's hard for me to believe that employers take that into account fully. That is, they don't consider a B-range Chicago grade to be equal to an A- at NYU, although it may well be the same.

Well, you would know better than us.

Lekal

Postby Lekal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Against all advice here, I'll be sitting in on Civil Procedure tomorrow; my sense of direction is terrible, so have pity on any lost-looking faces you see! I promise to be quiet in class :)

GoodFood

Postby GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Where would you have to rank in your class to get a v15 job (in NY)? Let's say you're from NY originally (lived/went to UG there) and don't have an awkward personality/bad interview skills.

People's thoughts on the above issue vs. NYU/CLS would be helpful too. Sorry for the annoying question in advance.

And if possible, what your thoughts/experiences with UChi students who are originally from NY? How do they feel in Hyde Park and does this have an impact on landing a firm job in NY? I'm presuming the fact that they are cooler than the average cat/have ties to NY registers a noticeable impact...

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:42 pm

GoodFood wrote: I'm presuming the fact that they are cooler than the average cat registers a noticeable impact...

It sounds like NYU would be a better fit for you

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say that it's hard for me to believe that employers might look at grades that way.
What you all have said makes sense.
I do like UChicago a lot, but I also love New York, and my SO, friends, and family are here, so I'm just figuring out whether it's worth leaving that.

I understand that it's a hard decision and you seem to be very angst-filled over it, but I also feel like this is a good time to make the general point that this really is neither a recruitment thread nor a thread of law school guidance counselors/therapists. This applies to a few people, not just you.

I think everyone is happy to talk about Chicago classes or living in Hyde Park or our experiences with professors or Career Services or whatever. Maybe it's just me projecting my frustrations about our brief assignment onto internet people, but it's kind of annoying when some people come in looking for either people to tell them how to weigh their personal lives with law school or to justify our grading system or to try to persuade you to pick Chicago over CLS/NYU.

If you are coming to Chicago and you have questions and are excited, that's awesome. But we are not the admissions committee. We are not guidance counselors. We really don't care if you pick Chicago and if you seem annoying we (or at least I) probably want you to choose somewhere else. In summation, although I want to be helpful and pay it forward the way this thread helped me last year, whether you pick Chicago or not...

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Xifeng wrote:COME TO UCHICAGO, THE MOST FRIENDLY OF LAW SCHOOLS*.

*lol

Seriously... When I talked to Levmore later today I actually asked if he thought I was a distraction in any way and he said he enjoyed having me in the class and didn't find my responses distracting. Sorry that I didn't act like a scared 0L is supposed to. I treated the class like I would a real one and sat in on 3 specifically to try and imagine what going to school here would be like.

Oh, and when we covered comparative negligence in my undergraduate law and economics class "scattershot" was the term my professor used to describe a litigant's behavior toward the multiple defendants, which is why I volunteered it. Apologies for using the terminology I'm familiar with. I probably should have used the terms offered in class but I just said what came to mind.

I hope not all Chicago students are as touchy as Haymarket.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 pm

American_in_China wrote:Seriously... When I talked to Levmore later today I actually asked if he thought I was a distraction in any way and he said he enjoyed having me in the class and didn't find my responses distracting. Sorry that I didn't act like a scared 0L is supposed to. I treated the class like I would a real one and sat in on 3 specifically to try and imagine what going to school here would be like.

Oh, and when we covered comparative negligence in my undergraduate law and economics class "scattershot" was the term my professor used to describe a litigant's behavior toward the multiple defendants, which is why I volunteered it. Apologies for using the terminology I'm familiar with. I probably should have used the terms offered in class but I just said what came to mind.

QED.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Haymarket wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Seriously... When I talked to Levmore later today I actually asked if he thought I was a distraction in any way and he said he enjoyed having me in the class and didn't find my responses distracting. Sorry that I didn't act like a scared 0L is supposed to. I treated the class like I would a real one and sat in on 3 specifically to try and imagine what going to school here would be like.

QED.

god i clicked on this thread at the absolute perfect time

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 pm

The shit in this thread is going in a distinctly downward direction.

And jesus christ bro, you voluntarily sat in on 3 classes? wtf is wrong with you?

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:And jesus christ bro, you voluntarily sat in on 3 classes? wtf is wrong with you?

SORRY HE DOESN'T COWER IN FEAR AT THE SIGHT OF A PROFESSOR LIKE THE REST OF YOU PROLES

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Haymarket wrote:

QED.

So the fact I offered a term I'm familiar with was annoying enough to make you call me out online? If you didn't notice I agreed I was wrong in using it, I just immediately said the term I'm used to. I sat in the back row and didn't talk at all unless he directed a question at me. I don't really see what was objectionable about my behavior.
Whatever. Levmore didn't care, that's enough for me.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 pm

American_in_China wrote:I don't really see what was objectionable about my behavior.

of course you don't, you aspie fuck. i pity your future classmates. the class isn't for your benefit. you're not a student. you got the privilege of observing a class, so sit there and observe.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

which is why I volunteered it

he directed a question at me.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:11 pm

My only advice is, no matter what school you go to, do not introduce someone as a "prolific poster on TLS" during orientation. Because that's what the last 0L who gunned in Levmore's class last year did. :|

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Lekal wrote:Against all advice here, I'll be sitting in on Civil Procedure tomorrow; my sense of direction is terrible, so have pity on any lost-looking faces you see! I promise to be quiet in class :)

Civ Pro with Hubbard? I personally really like the class, and I'm very impressed with the professor so far. I just think civ pro isn't always the most enjoyable class for admits to sit in on, because the material seems less substantive and more procedural, and people don't already come in with familiarity and strong feelings on the material. But I don't think that means it's a mistake to sit in on it, it just might not be as interesting as some of the sexier crim and torts cases. You'll at least get a good feel for a UChicago class. I hope you enjoy it!

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 pm

angrybird wrote:
American_in_China wrote:I don't really see what was objectionable about my behavior.

of course you don't, you aspie fuck. i pity your future classmates. the class isn't for your benefit. you're not a student. you got the privilege of observing a class, so sit there and observe.

Uh. That's what I did. I didn't speak once unless Levmore asked me something. I don't think I said a single sentence longer than 10 seconds. You really need to chill out.

Oh, to the other poster; Levmore asked me to choose a term from a list the class had come up with and I just spit out the one I was used to using, not off the list the class came up with. I already agreed that was dumb, but in all fairness, I think it's an understandable error.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 pm

American_in_China wrote:
angrybird wrote:

Uh. That's what I did. I didn't speak once unless Levmore asked me something. I don't think I said a single sentence longer than 10 seconds. You really need to chill out.

Oh, to the other poster; Levmore asked me to choose a term from a list the class had come up with and I just spit out the one I was used to using, not off the list the class came up with. I already agreed that was dumb, but in all fairness, I think it's an understandable error.

you say it, but i don't believe you.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Lekal wrote:Against all advice here, I'll be sitting in on Civil Procedure tomorrow; my sense of direction is terrible, so have pity on any lost-looking faces you see! I promise to be quiet in class :)

Civ Pro with Hubbard? I personally really like the class, and I'm very impressed with the professor so far. I just think civ pro isn't always the most enjoyable class for admits to sit in on, because the material seems less substantive and more procedural, and people don't already come in with familiarity and strong feelings on the material. But I don't think that means it's a mistake to sit in on it, it just might not be as interesting as some of the sexier crim and torts cases. You'll at least get a good feel for a UChicago class. I hope you enjoy it!

No, come to our Civ Pro with Casey (both 1L Civ Pro II classes are at the same time). It will be just as interesting but our Civ Pro professor is a total dreamboat (I understand from the ladies).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

No, come to our Civ Pro with Casey (both 1L Civ Pro II classes are at the same time). It will be just as interesting but our Civ Pro professor is a total dreamboat (I understand from the ladies).

And have you call him out here when Casey makes him talk in class?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:And have you call him out here when Casey makes him talk in class?

Don't act like this isn't a public service. Someone has to do it.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:And have you call him out here when Casey makes him talk in class?

Don't act like this isn't a public service. Someone has to do it.

You're making us look mean in front of the 0Ls! We want to make law school look like rainbows and puppy dogs and friendship bracelets so they attend and our school gets their numbers to brew a good USNews rank.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”