UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vincanity1

Re: UChi Kids—Procrastinating from Exam Prep & Taking Questions

Postby vincanity1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 pm

You guys are awesome. Thank you

MissElphaba

Postby MissElphaba » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how hard is it to get into your first choice clinic? I would love to do the IJ clinic, but I don't want to factor it into my decision if it's really tough to get into. Thanks for taking all the questions!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm

MissElphaba wrote:Sorry if this has been asked already, but how hard is it to get into your first choice clinic? I would love to do the IJ clinic, but I don't want to factor it into my decision if it's really tough to get into. Thanks for taking all the questions!

IJ Clinic was really easy to get into this quarter. I think in general they try hard to get people their first choice.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Could someone explain Corporate Lab for me? The page for it on the UChicago website isn't super clear. It says there's a transactional clinic but that there's a strongly recommended prerequisite class? If you've taken or are taking it, would you recommend it?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:18 am

Dany wrote:Could someone explain Corporate Lab for me? The page for it on the UChicago website isn't super clear. It says there's a transactional clinic but that there's a strongly recommended prerequisite class? If you've taken or are taking it, would you recommend it?

Let's talk.

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Sent in my deposit Monday! I spent the last hour reading through all of this and just wanted to say thanks to all for taking/answering questions.

lsatcrazy

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Anything like UPass at Chi?

likemike

Postby likemike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Can someone please explain what makes UChi so much more "rigorous" than other law schools? I'm having a hard time understanding what the word means in context. Is UChi that much harder than a Columbia or NYU? Are the students really that much more concerned about their education than peer students elsewhere?

Thanks

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:10 pm

nametaken wrote:Sent in my deposit Monday! I spent the last hour reading through all of this and just wanted to say thanks to all for taking/answering questions.

Awesome! Looking forward to having you here in the fall!

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Anything like UPass at Chi?

No. :( Apparently the law students voted against having it last year. The Hyde Park CTA buses (170/171/172) are free though.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:03 pm

likemike wrote:Can someone please explain what makes UChi so much more "rigorous" than other law schools? I'm having a hard time understanding what the word means in context. Is UChi that much harder than a Columbia or NYU? Are the students really that much more concerned about their education than peer students elsewhere?

Thanks

I think it is tough for any student to answer this unless they have transferred to UChi from another top school. I'm not sure that UChi kids work any harder/longer hours than students at our peer schools.

From what I understand from candid (not recruiting) conversations with faculty here, all the "rigor" stuff is more about a level of engagement, both from the students' perspective and the faculty's, than it is about working way harder. Students want to dig deeper into the material, and the faculty really go the extra mile to challenge us to think critically about things and work harder to defend our opinions. It is also very rare (at least in my experience) that people come to class unprepared, you can't generally get on the internet in class... There are little things that add up.

I think there is also a sense among employers that UChi sticking to its guns with its grading policy (and if anything enforcing grade deflation!) is a sign that students here can't get away with coasting through law school. This reputation is definitely a good thing for us when OCI rolls around.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Emma. wrote:
likemike wrote:Can someone please explain what makes UChi so much more "rigorous" than other law schools? I'm having a hard time understanding what the word means in context. Is UChi that much harder than a Columbia or NYU? Are the students really that much more concerned about their education than peer students elsewhere?

Thanks

I think it is tough for any student to answer this unless they have transferred to UChi from another top school. I'm not sure that UChi kids work any harder/longer hours than students at our peer schools.

From what I understand from candid (not recruiting) conversations with faculty here, all the "rigor" stuff is more about a level of engagement, both from the students' perspective and the faculty's, than it is about working way harder. Students want to dig deeper into the material, and the faculty really go the extra mile to challenge us to think critically about things and work harder to defend our opinions. It is also very rare (at least in my experience) that people come to class unprepared, you can't generally get on the internet in class... There are little things that add up.

I think there is also a sense among employers that UChi sticking to its guns with its grading policy (and if anything enforcing grade deflation!) is a sign that students here can't get away with coasting through law school. This reputation is definitely a good thing for us when OCI rolls around.

There are a few aspects of UChicago that are more "rigorous" than some peer schools.

-Strict grading system with more gradations than other schools
-Inflexible Curve with no grade inflation
-Graded legal writing
-No internet in the classrooms
-Quarter system creates longer class periods, higher total credit requirement, and more exams over law school career
-Frequent well attended Lunch Talks, which are generally academic lectures
-Even tenured professors have strict publication requirements

I'm not sure if the students are on average more high strung or study more than at other schools, but there are aspects of the school that create at least a perception of rigor. This probably benefits us with employers, since they understand that "below median" in this environment doesn't mean that you're a bad student or a bad lawyer.

skers

Postby skers » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Dany wrote:

No. :( Apparently the law students voted against having it last year. The Hyde Park CTA buses (170/171/172) are free though.

As far as I understand we can blame TaipeiMort for this one. Well, at least we still have dat undiluted faculty.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:49 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Dany wrote:

As far as I understand we can blame TaipeiMort for this one. Well, at least we still have dat undiluted faculty.

:lol:

I've actually been quietly rooting for uPass part 2. But it won't happen while I'm at UChi. It's a shame because it's a really good deal for most parties involved.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:40 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
Dany wrote:

:lol:

I've actually been quietly rooting for uPass part 2. But it won't happen while I'm at UChi. It's a shame because it's a really good deal for most parties involved.

I hope we get to re-vote, and I'd definitely support uPass if we get the chance, but I'm not actually sold on it being a good deal for most people... Isn't break-even something like 100 one way trips during the school year?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I've actually been quietly rooting for uPass part 2. But it won't happen while I'm at UChi. It's a shame because it's a really good deal for most parties involved.

I hope we get to re-vote, and I'd definitely support uPass if we get the chance, but I'm not actually sold on it being a good deal for most people... Isn't break-even something like 100 one way trips during the school year?

Really? Dang, for some reason I remember the price of it being ~$80/year. 100 one-way trips is $225/year. I guess that would not be a good deal for the half of the law school that lives in HP or drives.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I've actually been quietly rooting for uPass part 2. But it won't happen while I'm at UChi. It's a shame because it's a really good deal for most parties involved.

Really? Dang, for some reason I remember the price of it being ~$80/year. 100 one-way trips is $225/year. I guess that would not be a good deal for the half of the law school that lives in HP or drives.

It was $210 annually. I'd still support it though, just because I think it would encourage people to get out of Hyde Park more often. Once you have "free" transport you may as well use it.

AmoryB

Postby AmoryB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:28 pm

I know Regents is a popular location, but I was wondering if any of the current students could weigh in on the housing options closer to the law school. In particular, I was interested in the New Graduate Residence Hall and the properties on Drexel Ave. Is this area generally safe? How are the buildings? Any anecdotal experiences and opinions are welcome!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:40 pm

AmoryB wrote:I know Regents is a popular location, but I was wondering if any of the current students could weigh in on the housing options closer to the law school. In particular, I was interested in the New Graduate Residence Hall and the properties on Drexel Ave. Is this area generally safe? How are the buildings? Any anecdotal experiences and opinions are welcome!

I'm pretty sure New Grad will be closed next year for renovations.

There are some pretty decent townhouse type places on 61st (right behind the law school) if you really want to be close to school, but the neighborhood gets sketchy very quickly as soon as you go south of 61st. I really recommend the neighborhood around Regents (Algonquin, Del Prado, etc.) for your 1L year.

AmoryB

Postby AmoryB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Is it a pain not living close to the law school? I noticed that the buses only run until about 6pm, so how do most people get to and from the campus afterwards?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:30 pm

AmoryB wrote:Is it a pain not living close to the law school? I noticed that the buses only run until about 6pm, so how do most people get to and from the campus afterwards?

There are UChicago shuttles around Hyde Park that run every 10-20 minutes after 6pm.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Anyone know how much private parking costs at:
1. The lot right behind the law school
2. Private @ Regents
3. Private @ Algonquin
?

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Anyone know how much private parking costs at:
2. Private @ Regents
3. Private @ Algonquin
?

1. I don't know the answer to this, but there is a lottery for spots, so there is no guarantee you will get one. Street parking around the law school is free and easy to get before 8 am, and the lot behind the school is free on the weekends and after 4pm weekdays.
2. An unassigned spot in Regents is $175 per month, and an assigned spot is $200. It isn't hard to find unassigned spots unless you suck at parking and get home really late, because only the unideal spots are left then. The nice thing about parking in Regents is that it is heated indoor parking, so you will never have to scrape ice off your car before you leave.
3. no idea.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:57 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Anyone know how much private parking costs at:
2. Private @ Regents
3. Private @ Algonquin
?

The law school lot is effectively 3L-only, but you can get a spot at other nearby lots including, I think, right behind Harris for $80/month. There is also plenty of free parking if you are prepared to get to school before 8am.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:31 pm

AmoryB wrote:Is it a pain not living close to the law school? I noticed that the buses only run until about 6pm, so how do most people get to and from the campus afterwards?

I would say that it is actually less convenient 1L year to live closer to the law school. Because the largest group of students lives at Regents/Algonquin/the surrounding neighborhood, group studies are many times organized here, 1Ls meet up for bar review and other events together here, and it is the safest and easiest to get to school from when it snows. There will be parts of the year where the bus is the best way to get to school because of the snow, and it is convenient to have the bus stop right next to the building you live in. It is also the safest in terms of crime-- the area is well patrolled and is the farthest away from Inglewood of any place in Hyde Park. Getting downtown is also easiest from here-- lake shore trial if you like to run, lake shore drive if you have a car, and the metra train and 6 bus are all right outside the buildings.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”