UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdom

New

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Post by jdom » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
jdom wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions in this thread, it's been really helpful for me.

I was planning on visiting the school on March 28th to take a student-led tour and visit a class. Is this a good time to visit considering it's the day after you all get back from spring break? Generally, the first class meeting for me has always been "Here's the syllabus, read this for next time, ktybai". I have no clue if this is how it works in law school - maybe you all have reading due for the first class.

Which of these classes/profs would you all recommend to visit?: Civil Procedure II - 02 - D. Wood, Development of Legal Institutions - R. Helmholz, Jurisprudence I: Theories of Law and Adjudication - B. Leiter

Also, any food/shops you would recommend checking out?

Thanks a bunch!
Nah we still get in to substantive legal stuff on the first day, so you'll be fine. March might still have a little bite of winter in the air so it will be good to realistically assess how you like the weather.

I think Brian Leiter is an idiot but I've heard he is a fine professor. I would still suggest Wood or Helmholz. Helmholz is a fucking titan of property law and likes to make fun of students pretty regularly. So he might be the closest thing to a paper chase type professor we have. Diane Wood is a federal COA judge so she is sort of a big deal. The problem with civ pro II is that you might not have any fucking clue what is going on in the class since Civil Procedure is foreign to non-lawyers, but it's the first day so maybe not. If you can find a class Saul Levmore is teaching I would go to that one bar none, though.

And do you mean shops around Hyde Park or shops anywhere?
I didn't see anything with Levmore. I threw in Leiter's class because I've had a few classes on legal theory in undergrad and thought maybe I might have a little clue what the heck is going on in the class. I certainly don't plan on participating in the class, but it would nice for the lecture to not be in a foreign language. I've read about Helmholz a bit in this thread and it seems his class would be quite..interesting. Thanks though, I'll probably check out either Wood or Helmholz.

Any place you think is a must eat/visit in Hyde Park. I'm planning on spending another day playing around in Chicago.
2014 wrote:I'd probably suggest Helmholz over Wood if you were going to sit in on one. Subject wise, neither is a great one to sit in on unfortunately, but you are more likely to have something memorable happen in the Helmholz one.

If you are looking for somewhere to eat in Hyde Park do Medici on 57th, if you are venturing north, defer to Yelp there are like 500 places worth going.
Good point. I'll probably try and sit in on his class.

Thanks for the rec, looks pretty amazing from the website.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:29 pm

We just got a Chipotle in Hyde Park so that's a must-visit for me. But Medici is probably TCR. Their milkshakes are good.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

You're right. I understated how good those damn shakes are.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:You're right. I understated how good those damn shakes are.
They're good enough that I would drink them 3 meals a day if it were socially acceptable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Regulus wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
They're good enough that I would drink them 3 meals a day if it were socially acceptable.
:lol:

They're good enough that I'd drink them at breakfast with Professor Levmore on a cold winter morning even if it subjected me to ridicule.
I was actually at breakfast Friday and he was there with some gunners. Who would go to breakfast with a prof on a Friday? I would have to get a chocolate croissant or milkshake to stand that breakfast. I overheard some of the convo and he was super combative. I would get annoyed in person even though I generally enjoyed his trolling efforts in class.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Regulus wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
:lol:

They're good enough that I'd drink them at breakfast with Professor Levmore on a cold winter morning even if it subjected me to ridicule.
I was actually at breakfast Friday and he was there with some gunners. Who would go to breakfast with a prof on a Friday? I would have to get a chocolate croissant or milkshake to stand that breakfast. I overheard some of the convo and he was super combative. I would get annoyed in person even though I generally enjoyed his trolling efforts in class.
Huh, our breakfast with Levmore last quarter was pretty great. Or so I thought, but apparently others in my group didn't like it as much. He wasn't at all like Professor Levmore in that scenario.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Yeah maybe he was cool I didn't hear the whole thing. Likbrary seasions are just so terrible. I think Sheri Lewis is a wonderful person but I'm nodding off after two minutes of her lectures.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:14 pm

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Yeah maybe he was cool I didn't hear the whole thing. Likbrary seasions are just so terrible. I think Sheri Lewis is a wonderful person but I'm nodding off after two minutes of her lectures.
Yea I play pokemon during those.

Only redeeming quality of LRW is how we never have class. I was making a list of which classes were cancelled for the rest of the term and realized that the list of classes NOT cancelled was actually about half as long.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Levmore insists people get the shakes in my experience, doesn't matter what time, season or meal lol. Despite that I have never heard of him ordering one himself.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:43 am

2014 wrote:Levmore insists people get the shakes in my experience, doesn't matter what time, season or meal lol. Despite that I have never heard of him ordering one himself.
He didn't insist our year, we had just normal breakfast foods. And he was very Levmore-y.

Also, I'd go see Wood, because then you can say you saw an awesome judge teaching.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samsing

New

Post by Samsing » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey guys I have a random question. How is the maintenance at Regents and other apartments in the area? Do they get around to things pretty quickly when you report them?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Regents got to everything I requested within 24 hours, all of which was pretty low-priority. Can't speak to other buildings, especially those w/o doormen and a full time maintenance staff.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:40 pm

2014 wrote:Regents got to everything I requested within 24 hours, all of which was pretty low-priority. Can't speak to other buildings, especially those w/o doormen and a full time maintenance staff.
Yea, I've had the same experience in Scholar's Corner, which has the dorkiest name but is otherwise a great building.

The only companies I know of as having bad reputations re: maintenance are:

-MAC Property Management, which had a pretty horrendous reputation while I was in undergrad, but apparently has improved (or just isn't as bad about it in its buildings with doormen/staff)

-McKey & Poague, which is a midsize independent agency. I lived in one of their buildings that was not well maintained at all. One thing, which admittedly was somewhat minor but was promised to be repaired before move-in, didn't get fixed until after I had moved out. On the plus side the apartment was dirt cheap.

bobr

New

Post by bobr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Sorry to intrude on the UChicago forum, but I have a quick favor to ask.

I am currently a 1L at Columbia and have Harcourt for Criminal Law. Is there any chance anyone on here had him and would be willing to share any notes and/or outline for his class? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:46 pm

bobr wrote:Sorry to intrude on the UChicago forum, but I have a quick favor to ask.

I am currently a 1L at Columbia and have Harcourt for Criminal Law. Is there any chance anyone on here had him and would be willing to share any notes and/or outline for his class? I would really appreciate it.

All I can say is I'm sorry.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 pm

2014 wrote:
bobr wrote:Sorry to intrude on the UChicago forum, but I have a quick favor to ask.

Has Helmholtz ever been a visiting prof

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 pm

2014 wrote:

lol. I used to work with his wife. Is he that bad?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Crowing wrote:
2014 wrote:

Has Helmholtz ever been a visiting prof
I have a feeling that Helmholz hasn't left the 1 mile radius around his house in thirty years. That encompasses the law school, Medici, and treasure island so he's set.

re: Harcourt - Depends how you feel about theory. You don't really learn much criminal law at all, it's entirely what like Bentham and co think about criminal law issues which I and most of my classmates found pretty boring and obnoxious. He lost control of class participation and was painfully disorganized too. To his core though I think he was one of the nicest people here, that just doesn't get you far teaching.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:48 pm

The bar review email is 180. I lol'ed in the library.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:The bar review email is 180. I lol'ed in the library.
Definitely an improvement over the "go kill yourself" one.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:49 pm

I (accidentally) pissed off the Northwestern students with a question and one of them said I would fit in better at U Chicago. Is there a rivalry between the #4 and #12 best-est law schools in the nation that I wasn't aware of?

Also, I'll re-ask my original question since they didn't answer it.

I was looking through the linkedin profiles of acquaintances who are in law school (mostly 2Ls and 3Ls) and noticed that many of them have listed "Law clerk at ____" for dates during which they were in law school. Is it common for people to do an internship for credit hours or some such thing during law school, or is it more likely just sloppy record keeping?

Thanks in advance

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:I (accidentally) pissed off the Northwestern students with a question and one of them said I would fit in better at U Chicago. Is there a rivalry between the #4 and #12 best-est law schools in the nation that I wasn't aware of?

Also, I'll re-ask my original question since they didn't answer it.

I was looking through the linkedin profiles of acquaintances who are in law school (mostly 2Ls and 3Ls) and noticed that many of them have listed "Law clerk at ____" for dates during which they were in law school. Is it common for people to do an internship for credit hours or some such thing during law school, or is it more likely just sloppy record keeping?

Thanks in advance
Oh yes you'll fit in well here. Why don't you just ask them directly instead of being weird?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”