UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CPA-->JD
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby CPA-->JD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:Anybody have any opinions on the Doctoroff program?


Not in it but I have friends who are and they seem to like it a lot- definitely hooked people up with cool 1L summer jobs and is a good conversation piece for OCI.

Thanks!

Veil of Ignorance
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Anybody pick UChi over Harvard? How much did UChi offer to sway you? I'm asking because I think Harvard is the only one of HYS that will let me in, and frankly I prefer UChi as a school, from what I can see online.
Last edited by Veil of Ignorance on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby dasq5511 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm

1) Anyone willing to share the things they don't like about UChi?
2) How much more do you value going to Chicago over Duke/UVA/Northwestern? ($60-70k?)

WheninLaw
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:07 pm

dasq5511 wrote:1) Anyone willing to share the things they don't like about UChi?
2) How much more do you value going to Chicago over Duke/UVA/Northwestern? ($60-70k?)


1) weather sucks, spring quarter sucks, hyde park is not a great place to live (although Chicago is amazing), school takes itself a bit seriously (dat rigor), career services is fine but nothing special, not a ton of professors making clerkship calls.

2) depends what you want to do. Big law generally? Maybe 30k total.

WheninLaw
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Anybody pick UChi over Harvard? How much did UChi offer to sway you? I'm asking because I think Harvard is the only one of HYS that will let me in, and frankly I prefer UChi as a school, from what I can see online.


Did not make this choice, although I strongly believe that UoC's outcomes are equivalent or near-equivalent for almost everything.

User avatar
poptart123
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby poptart123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:18 pm

I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 pm

poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1209
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby landshoes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm

dasq5511 wrote:1) Anyone willing to share the things they don't like about UChi?
2) How much more do you value going to Chicago over Duke/UVA/Northwestern? ($60-70k?)


I wish we took conlaw in 1L year. I go back and forth on this but right now I'm kinda annoyed to be taking a fundamental class in the last quarter of 2L year (!)

I like Hyde Park a lot for the most part, and the food here has gotten a lot better, but I wish there were more decent bars. The dive bars are good dive bars but sometimes you just want a bar that is slightly nicer than a dive bar, but not a $15+ a drink fancy-pants place.

The school is small, which I usually love, but right now I have a cold and I don't want to see a million people I know all the time because I just want to have a headache and sleep. How much you like the size of the school is very personality-specific.

There are only 3 journals. Some people who want a journal won't get one, and that sucks.

I wish we had more permanent business / corporate law faculty. We have a lot of good adjuncts and clinical faculty, but I would love it if we had one more permanent person to regularly teach securities regulation etc.

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby dasq5511 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:57 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?

curry1
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby curry1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 am

dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


Just a fellow admit, but if you want to look at more granular data for clerkships (including alumni clerks), go to the admitted students' website and navigate to the judicial clerkships tab from 'Careers After Chicago.'

User avatar
HillandHollow
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby HillandHollow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

dasq5511 wrote:1) Anyone willing to share the things they don't like about UChi?

Only three journals, and none of them put out particularly fascinating content.
Winter is a beast.
Learning torts sans duty is straight up nonsense.
Similar to ^^^ there is perhaps too much value placed on being clever, even when being clever does not mean being right (this is only the case with a few professors, and you will know who they are before you are even in their class).
Grades, as opposed to Pass/Fail. Lowest normal pass at Harvard = same on paper as highest normal pass. Lowest at UChi is abundantly clear on transcript (the school pretends the transcript is more confusing than it is).
Not as much support for public interest careers and clerking for non-honors students as one may prefer.


2) How much more do you value going to Chicago over Duke/UVA/Northwestern? ($60-70k?)

This is difficult to quantify, but at least $10k/year in scholarship, apparently.

WheninLaw
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:20 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby dasq5511 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:53 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.


This is actually pretty surprising given Chicago's high clerkship numbers. I got the sense that those numbers would make you competitive for clerkships at most T13/14s.

User avatar
HillandHollow
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby HillandHollow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:02 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.


Are you saying that a third of graduating students are competitive for district, generally, or that the top third of students, grade-wise, are?

WheninLaw
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.


Are you saying that a third of graduating students are competitive for district, generally, or that the top third of students, grade-wise, are?


I'm not sure I understand the distinction. Top-third grades will make you competitive for a district court clerkship.

WheninLaw
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.


This is actually pretty surprising given Chicago's high clerkship numbers. I got the sense that those numbers would make you competitive for clerkships at most T13/14s.


For non-flyover areas, I think clerkships are tremendously harder to come by then you think.

User avatar
dasq5511
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby dasq5511 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.



This is actually pretty surprising given Chicago's high clerkship numbers. I got the sense that those numbers would make you competitive for clerkships at most T13/14s.


For non-flyover areas, I think clerkships are tremendously harder to come by then you think.


Yeah, that's very possible. Thanks for your help!

User avatar
HillandHollow
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby HillandHollow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:33 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I've seen the employment numbers, but what do percent of the class do you all consider biglaw safe?


Depends on bidding strategy and personality of the bottom of the class but assuming the people with the worst grades aren't also the most socially awkward I'd say close to 95%+ of the class could get a job if they wanted to.

Biglaw safe is a slippery concept tbh. I don't think anything but the highest GPA will insulate you from bad bidding and (to a much lesser degree) interviewing. OTOH I don't think anyone had a GPA so low that biglaw was out of the question.


I know this might also be hard to determine, but any ideas on what percentage are competitive for district and appellate clerkships in non-flyover areas?


It really depends. As a general rule, I'd say top 10-15% for circuit, and top third for district, although I know of tons of students way outside of those ranges that received one. If you mean big time (2/9/DC/SDNY/etc.), then probably more like top 5-10%.


Are you saying that a third of graduating students are competitive for district, generally, or that the top third of students, grade-wise, are?


I'm not sure I understand the distinction. Top-third grades will make you competitive for a district court clerkship.


There is a small, but existent, distinction between "students with top third grades are competitive for 2/9/SDNY/DC" and "a third of UChi students will be competitive for..."
I don't personally think it matters (the venn diagram of these groups is a waning crescent, at best), but I thought the question was asking the latter.

User avatar
chicago-gunner123
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:27 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:26 pm

dasq5511 wrote:1) Anyone willing to share the things they don't like about UChi?


- The weather is truly terrible
- Hyde Park is boring
- The quarter system means 3 finals periods per academic year
- A large coffee at the law school cafe is ~$3
- Too much self aggrandizement among faculty/students

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:29 pm

I would probably pay money to give mortara a swirly.

curry1
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby curry1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:41 pm

chicago-gunner123 wrote:
dasq5511 wrote:1) Anyone willing to share the things they don't like about UChi?


- The weather is truly terrible
- Hyde Park is boring
- The quarter system means 3 finals periods per academic year
- A large coffee at the law school cafe is ~$3
- Too much self aggrandizement among faculty/students[/quote]

Mind expanding on this?

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1209
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby landshoes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:I would probably pay money to give mortara a swirly.


he doesn't even have hair! how would this work!

WheninLaw
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:I would probably pay money to give mortara a swirly.


Definitely, although he's single-handedly responsible for most of our clerkships, so HANDS OFF.

User avatar
LSRAT
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby LSRAT » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi folks! Would y'all mind sharing what final reason made you decide to commit? Or how you decided Chicago was for you?

User avatar
call-me-bubbles
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 am

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 pm

.
Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: devilblue, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest