UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Do any of you guys have experience with private moving companies in Chicago? I'm looking to hire one for the day I move in, and thought I'd check here for recommendations first.

Thanks in advance.
Huge waste of money. And they went mia going from one chicago apartment to another for about an hour. Get a universally adored moving company or don't do it at all.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Do any of you guys have experience with private moving companies in Chicago? I'm looking to hire one for the day I move in, and thought I'd check here for recommendations first.

Thanks in advance.
Huge waste of money. And they went mia going from one chicago apartment to another for about an hour. Get a universally adored moving company or don't do it at all.
Shit.. But thanks! (pm'd that to you by accident)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Do you guys recommend LEEWS or no?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 pm

2014 wrote:Do you guys recommend LEEWS or no?
No.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Haymarket wrote:
No.
I never used LEEWS and I never even read GTM. What do these books(?) even say? There's almost-perfect overlap between the category of exam tips that aren't professor-specific, and those exam tips that you can easily gather from inference and a couple of conversations with 2Ls/3Ls who did well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
No.
I never used LEEWS and I never even read GTM. What do these books(?) even say? There's almost-perfect overlap between the category of exam tips that aren't professor-specific, and those exam tips that you can easily gather from inference and a couple of conversations with 2Ls/3Ls who did well.
I agree with this this. The only pre-1L prep I did was skim GTM and honestly I don't even think it was that useful. Talking to current students and more professor-specific prep is much more helpful.

A-Cow-Demia

New

Post by A-Cow-Demia » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 pm

I'll be the voice of dissent. I read GTM and listened to LEEWS before law school. I also read part of a few E&Es—maybe torts and contracts? I'm not sure if any of it helped—but it didn't hurt—and it was a good way to start learning about the law and our legal system, especially since I didn't take any law or poly sci classes in undergrad. So I guess I'd say go ahead if you have the time and the desire. But if you don't, you probably aren't at a disadvantage.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 am

I didn't find LEEWS that helpful, probably not worth the 8 hour investment. GTM is worth the read (you can chug through it in a couple of hours) to get an idea of what to expect on law school exams. I found Professor Delaney's book on law school exams to be the best resource; probably used that more on exams than anything else. It's a little dense at times, his issue spotting methods are a bit too technical, but his writing chapters are pretty good.

He also has a book on legal reasoning and case briefing which is great 1L prep if you have the time. I don't actually recommend briefing cases in law school, waste of time IMO, but you should know how to do it just because it helps you comprehend the case.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 am

uchi12 wrote:
How is your average joe (non-urm, liberal arts major, no WE) with median grades fairing at OCI?
i have three friends like this who did OCI and didn't even get callbacks. one had some WE.
also the 5-10% PI/didn't do oci number is a little high; i only know two people who completely didn't do oci because they had PI jobs lined up. others i know who totally skipped oci got firm jobs through mass mails before oci.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:07 am

courtneylove wrote:
uchi12 wrote:
How is your average joe (non-urm, liberal arts major, no WE) with median grades fairing at OCI?
i have three friends like this who did OCI and didn't even get callbacks. one had some WE.
So did they end up with anything after OCI?

How hard is it to get small firm work (2-50 attorneys)?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:30 am

banjo wrote:
courtneylove wrote:
uchi12 wrote:
So did they end up with anything after OCI?

How hard is it to get small firm work (2-50 attorneys)?
Something like 2/3 of students get 2L summer work through OCI. Something tells me that this anecdotal evidence (from someone I have never seen post about Chicago before) is an outlier. That number is even higher if you consider the number of people who choose not to do OCI.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Previous posts by courtneylove:
I don't have a Rubenstein but I came into UChicago with a big scholarship, and I regret leaving the east coast every single day. I don't like any of the students here and really fucking hate Hyde Park, Chicago, and pretty much all of Illinois in general. I'd take my chances paying sticker at Harvard over throwing away three years of my twenties in this hellhole.
the blind grading system absolutely sucks, because you can't bring drafts to your fellow, and if you misunderstand some issue or detail, you're just screwed.

each fellow assigned a couple books, one was like "writing a memo," but i don't know if reading about LRW beforehand would help so much... it may be helpful to read other students' writing samples when you are doing your assignments to get an idea of what your fellow wants.
honestly... it's awful and boring as hell. and they throw everyone in lrw sections randomly, with no individual attention, so there are people of all different writing backgrounds and ability levels getting powerpoint presentations on how to do things. plus the librarian tutorials are excruciating. i heard that one section's fellow told them how to do their assignments, like how to format them, but my section didn't have that much guidance and i basically had to rewrite my first memo. the worst part i thought was the spring quarter brief... i had no idea what i was doing from the classes we had on it, and we had no drafting stage...that thing tanked my grade. i also felt really unprepared at my 1L summer job.
I've called a couple of my mass mails and they don't even want my name, they just tell me to wait.
Sour grapes much?
Last edited by anewaphorist on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:11 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Previous posts by courtneylove:
I don't have a Rubenstein but I came into UChicago with a big scholarship, and I regret leaving the east coast every single day. I don't like any of the students here and really fucking hate Hyde Park, Chicago, and pretty much all of Illinois in general. I'd take my chances paying sticker at Harvard over throwing away three years of my twenties in this hellhole.
Some people just can't be happy.

Also, someone should post in this thread when K&E notifications go out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am

So just visited Hyde Park. And I'm an idiot, because spending much of your youth tramping around the Loop and Winnetka DOES NOT FREAKING PREPARE YOU FOR HYDE PARK.

Quick questions: 1) Do most people from Regents take the bus to class/fastest walking route?
2) Does Regents shuttle actually work?

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

anewaphorist wrote:
Sour grapes much?

No, I paid attention in Elements and I know how they taste. I'm sure the 0Ls prefer sugar-coated optimism to honesty, right.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:39 pm

courtneylove wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:
Sour grapes much?

No, I paid attention in Elements and I know how they taste. I'm sure the 0Ls prefer sugar-coated optimism to honesty, right.
Wut?

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:01 pm

catholicgirl wrote:So just visited Hyde Park. And I'm an idiot, because spending much of your youth tramping around the Loop and Winnetka DOES NOT FREAKING PREPARE YOU FOR HYDE PARK.

Quick questions: 1) Do most people from Regents take the bus to class/fastest walking route?
2) Does Regents shuttle actually work?
Almost everyone I know that lived in Regents takes the 172 to the school. It's free for UChicago students. The Regents shuttle is also nice for students living in Regents and the Del Prado. I have no idea if they plan on continuing it next year, but it was great for the nights you had to be at the law school later than 6.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sojuteacher

Bronze

Post by sojuteacher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Haymarket wrote:
courtneylove wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:
Sour grapes much?

Wut?
hey all,

It's been a long, long time since I've posted in TLS but cruising this site during my internship downtime, thought I'd post again to respond to the hate against my law school.

I had a fantastic 1L year. 1st quarter was a lot of fun, 2nd quarter was a little less fun, and 3rd quarter was a lot of work, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Before this, I've never learned so much in such a little time, been surrounded by high quality intelligent peers (who are also fun to be with), and learned from genius professors (who mostly are approachable and happy to help you outside of class). At least in my experience, this is a great school and was a great choice for me.

Hyde Park does suck, but Chicago is a huge city with a lot to offer. As long as you plan something fun downtown at least once a week, you'll be happy. There are great museums, bars, restaurants, and events to visit. Just make sure to maximize your non law school time.

I am sorry to hear someone has such a terrible taste in her mouth about our school. Don't put too much stock in that posters opinion: at least among my social circles, it seems like there are much more people that enjoyed our 1L year than those that hated it.

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Law school is fucking awful and is full of horrible people. Chicago might be a tiny bit worse than other places but law school is going to be shit no matter where you go.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:27 pm

In summary: some people like law school, some people don't. Some people like UChicago, some people don't.

In my experience, everyone thinks it's a lot of work. And even though I know a few people who HATED it, most people liked it. Would I go back and relive 1L? No. But 95% of our class didn't despise it.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:29 pm

And for those who don't know, K&E's out. #bottom95percent

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Xifeng wrote:. And even though I know a few people who HATED it.
lol

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:33 pm

And while I'm making informational posts: for posterity, 1L grades were due July 5 and all except CLI were released by then (core classes all that day, some electives before, and CLI was released the following Monday). And K&E appears to be today.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Xifeng wrote:And while I'm making informational posts: for posterity, 1L grades were due July 5 and all except CLI were released by then (core classes all that day, some electives before, and CLI was released the following Monday). And K&E appears to be today.
Future generations of neurotic people will thank you.

A-Cow-Demia

New

Post by A-Cow-Demia » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

When do the law review invites go out? Next Monday? Two years ago, the calls went out the day they were scheduled to go out, but last year the calls went out two days early (on Saturday, July 23, instead of Monday).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”