UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
American_in_China

Bronze

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Post by American_in_China » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Just made it off the waitlist; not sure about where I'm heading though. I'm coming up next Wednesday and staying through Friday night or Saturday. Any tips on stuff going on I should see? I'm already scheduled to go sit in on Levmore's Torts and Nussbaum's Emotion, Reason, and Law. Any other classes I should visit?

On a living note; are the grad housing apartments a few blocks west of the school that bad? As much as everyone suggests Regent's, I'm on a tight budget and the cost is way lower over there. I lived in a POS apartment my last year of undergrad and while I was in China, so the only thing I really care about is safety and proximity to a gym.

Also, is there a good pool hall on campus or near it? The only dedicated pool hall I could find online was about 20-25 minutes north of school.
Thanks!
Which apartments are you talking about? Generally I'd say you're pretty safe if you're east of Cottage Grove (the north-south street that borders the east half of Washington Park). I wouldn't go south of Washington Park.
http://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/locations.shtml
Buildings 1-4 on the map.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:30 pm

American_in_China wrote:Just made it off the waitlist; not sure about where I'm heading though. I'm coming up next Wednesday and staying through Friday night or Saturday. Any tips on stuff going on I should see? I'm already scheduled to go sit in on Levmore's Torts and Nussbaum's Emotion, Reason, and Law. Any other classes I should visit?

On a living note; are the grad housing apartments a few blocks west of the school that bad? As much as everyone suggests Regent's, I'm on a tight budget and the cost is way lower over there. I lived in a POS apartment my last year of undergrad and while I was in China, so the only thing I really care about is safety and proximity to a gym.

Also, is there a good pool hall on campus or near it? The only dedicated pool hall I could find online was about 20-25 minutes north of school.
Thanks!
You are going to love Levmore's class, it's amazing. Don't sit in on Civ Pro, it's the worst (the subject material, and you'll have to learn it no matter where you go. And don't listen to Bils if he tries to convince you otherwise).

I think there's a place with pool tables on 55th street? It has bowling too. I'm not sure what you mean by "good," though.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Xifeng wrote:

Thanks!
You are going to love Levmore's class, it's amazing. Don't sit in on Civ Pro, it's the worst (the subject material, and you'll have to learn it no matter where you go. And don't listen to Bils if he tries to convince you otherwise).

I think there's a place with pool tables on 55th street? It has bowling too. I'm not sure what you mean by "good," though.
Haha. I play near competitively and am working my way into the bottom of that tier. I mean standardized APA tables. But I guess that's something I'll probably have to find on my own.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:46 pm

American_in_China wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Thanks!
Which apartments are you talking about? Generally I'd say you're pretty safe if you're east of Cottage Grove (the north-south street that borders the east half of Washington Park). I wouldn't go south of Washington Park.
http://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/locations.shtml
Buildings 1-4 on the map.
I know a few people who live in that area (just south of the law school) and they tell me it's fine. I've only ever been south of the law school once though (to go to a killer sandwich place), so I'm not a great authority.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I've only ever been south of the law school once though (to go to a killer sandwich place)
Ooh where?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Dany wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I've only ever been south of the law school once though (to go to a killer sandwich place)
Ooh where?
...is the bolded supposed to be ironic? lolol

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I think it was Robust Coffee Lounge on 63rd. I might be overselling it with "killer," but it was very tasty and it's one of the few places close enough to the law school to go to during lunch.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Huq's Statutory Interpretation or Nussbaum's Emotion, Reason, and Law?
Any voters? I'm undecided.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

American_in_China wrote:Huq's Statutory Interpretation or Nussbaum's Emotion, Reason, and Law?
Any voters? I'm undecided.
I would opt for Huq's class, as it's probably more representative of the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 am

How easy is it for Regents residents to find someone to sublet to over the summer? How much typically can you charge someone to sublet?

Where do you all shop for groceries? How do Treasure Island's prices compare to Whole Foods? Is it worth it? Is it worth the journey to downtown if you live in Regents? Are there better places to shop in HP?

Are there any restaurants that you happily frequent in HP, or if you're eating out, you always head downtown?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 pm

cjcregg wrote:How easy is it for Regents residents to find someone to sublet to over the summer? How much typically can you charge someone to sublet?

Where do you all shop for groceries? How do Treasure Island's prices compare to Whole Foods? Is it worth it? Is it worth the journey to downtown if you live in Regents? Are there better places to shop in HP?

Are there any restaurants that you happily frequent in HP, or if you're eating out, you always head downtown?
I don't have much experience, but given that Hyde Park is one of the least desirable places to live over the summer and is pretty far from downtown, I'd plan on paying your own rent unless you get lucky.

Treasure island is pricey but nice. Village foods is cheaper but sketchy and still overpriced. Hyde Park produce is cheap and high quality for produce, but outrageously expensive for everything else. If you have a car, Dominick's or Jewel Osco in south loop are the best places to buy food. Pea Pod also works fine, but any savings are probably negated by the delivery fee.

There a slew of decent restaurants in Hyde Park. They get old pretty fast if you like to eat out a lot, but they'll get you by just fine if just need something tasty and don't want to cook. River North has 3 great restaurants on every block if you like to eat out; the 6 will take you within walking distance of most of them, or there's usually street parking. You could also do valet parking, $10 - $12.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for doing this guys!!

is easy to live in he downtown area and commute to U Chi without a car?

Do a lot of graduates take government positions upon graduation?

Do graduates spread out across the country??

Thanks again. I love Chicago and would love to go to law school here.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:35 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Thanks for doing this guys!!

is easy to live in he downtown area and commute to U Chi without a car?

Do a lot of graduates take government positions upon graduation?

Do graduates spread out across the country??

Thanks again. I love Chicago and would love to go to law school here.
It is possible to commute from downtown if you're near a bus that travels to the law school or close by, such as the 2. If not, the commute will suck and you'll probably either want to have a car or live nearby.

Aside from temporary clerkships, no. Government jobs are very competitive and it's much easier to get a biglaw job, and most people have those lined up well before governments start hiring. UChicago students are also more likely to self select into firm work. That said, if you really want to work for the government, its definitely possible out of here, probably as likely as any of its peer schools, and our LRAP is pretty decent.

Yes, our graduates spread out across the country, moreso than most of our peer schools. Chicago is our largest market, and only 1/3 of our graduates stay in Chicago. Another 1/4 go to NYC. After that, it spreads out across the country as people tend to go to where they grew up or have ties. Naturally bigger markets, such as DC and California, are more popular, but a UChicago law degree is about as national as they come.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

knickerbocker

New

Post by knickerbocker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm

A few questions (I've read through most of the recent pages, but I'm sorry if some of these have been answered):
1) 1 UChi student I spoke with said he's on some kind of meal plan, which he likes (he lives next to the school). Anyone else on it? Is it good? I'd love not have to cook.
2) Is there any decent housing, besides New Grad, within walking distance (like, half a mile or less) of the law school? I walked a block south of the law school, and things got sketch fast. Within a block, there are a boarded up windows, etc.
3) Does having a car make life a lot easier? Can I park easily right by the law school?
4) Do you take exams in the law school building or do you take them at home? If the latter, then living close seems like a major advantage.
5) Is it true that a Whole Foods is opening up near Regents? (I know it sounds silly, but that would really improve people's quality of life.)
6) All this talk of no grade inflation is turning me off. It seems like grade inflation is good for students. I know that what really counts is your ranking, but if I'm ranked at the median with an A-, that still sounds better than being ranked at the median with a B. How real is this whole no grade inflation thing. I believe that about 24% percent of each class gets an A-range grade and 24% gets a C-range grade. Is that true?
Thanks, everyone (especially Dany) for replying to us 0Ls.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

knickerbocker wrote:A few questions (I've read through most of the recent pages, but I'm sorry if some of these have been answered):
1) 1 UChi student I spoke with said he's on some kind of meal plan, which he likes (he lives next to the school). Anyone else on it? Is it good? I'd love not have to cook.

I go to the Student Dining Hall sometimes, food is pretty good but couldn't do it everyday. Also expect that the meal plan is expensive but cannot speak directly to this.

2) Is there any decent housing, besides New Grad, within walking distance (like, half a mile or less) of the law school? I walked a block south of the law school, and things got sketch fast. Within a block, there are a boarded up windows, etc.

I recommend NOT living south of the law school at all. If you are living in Hyde Park, I recommend Regents or buildings around it, but I live downtown.

3) Does having a car make life a lot easier? Can I park easily right by the law school?

If living downtown, car is necessary in my opinion. Parking is difficult by law school. You have to get there before about 8 am to get a spot. However, if you live around the law school, you can get a permit, which will make it much easier (but then you probably don't need a car.

4) Do you take exams in the law school building or do you take them at home? If the latter, then living close seems like a major advantage.

Most are taken at school. 8 hour take homes you get to decide. Its all online so there is no real advantage to living close.

5) Is it true that a Whole Foods is opening up near Regents? (I know it sounds silly, but that would really improve people's quality of life.)

I believe I have heard something about this, but honestly I don't know.

6) All this talk of no grade inflation is turning me off. It seems like grade inflation is good for students. I know that what really counts is your ranking, but if I'm ranked at the median with an A-, that still sounds better than being ranked at the median with a B. How real is this whole no grade inflation thing. I believe that about 24% percent of each class gets an A-range grade and 24% gets a C-range grade. Is that true?

There is no real "A" or "B". The median will be strictly to a 177; however, that does not mean that 24% have Cs. It is a median, not a mean. I believe the general rule is about 2-3 "A"s for every one "C". The great thing about our grades is that no one has any idea what they mean.

knickerbocker

New

Post by knickerbocker » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.
What is this "get there before 8:00 a.m."? When do classes start?
Toto, I don't think we're in college anymore.

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm

knickerbocker wrote:A few questions (I've read through most of the recent pages, but I'm sorry if some of these have been answered):
1L here, taking the ones that I know anything about:

2) I know a few people who live in apartments around 61st Street, within a couple blocks or so of the school, and they seem to be happy with where they live. The area south of the school is probably the "sketchiest" part of Hyde Park, but the prevailing wisdom is that you'll be fine north of 63rd.

3) I don't have a car here and it's never been a problem. I would guess that this is also the case for at least half of my classmates. This question has been fielded in this thread in the past, and I think others' answers are the same. It's easy to get out of Hyde Park, and having a car can be a major hassle in the winter. Parking by the law school is difficult, unless you come to school really early.

4) There are eight-hour take-home exams that you can take anywhere, including the law school (I took mine at home) and three-hour in-class exams. 1Ls this year have either one or two pure take-home exams (out of eight exams), depending on elective. I'm not sure what you mean about living closer being an advantage, but it almost certainly isn't for take-home exam purposes.

5) This is correct, though it's not slated to open until Summer 2014.

6) Well, all talk of the aesthetic appeal of having a median A- vs. a median B goes out the window when you consider our wacky grading system. Not being an employer, I can't verify this, but it's entirely plausible that some employers appreciate that Chicago is holding the line on grading instead of allowing the median to rise (or just doing away with letter grades altogether). Besides, [much of] legal hiring, from my understanding, only cares about your rank anyway, so your actual grades are pretty irrelevant.
Students aren't privy to grading distributions unless professors make them known. I have to imagine, though, that many professors are pretty generous about not using many grades under median, since they don't have to follow any distribution other than making a 177 the median. From what I've heard, one Elements professor gave almost a quarter of the class A/A- grades (180+) and only a handful of grades lower than a B- (173 or lower).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Here's a question: I've heard rumors that Hyde Park may be getting a Chipotle. Can anyone confirm?

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Here's a question: I've heard rumors that Hyde Park may be getting a Chipotle. Can anyone confirm?
I want this to be true so bad.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Here's a question: I've heard rumors that Hyde Park may be getting a Chipotle. Can anyone confirm?
Just looked into it, and apparently there will be a Qdoba on campus starting this fall: http://chicagomaroon.com/2012/04/20/qdo ... this-fall/

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Just looked into it, and apparently there will be a Qdoba on campus starting this fall: http://chicagomaroon.com/2012/04/20/qdo ... this-fall/
Chipotle has been a rumor for awhile. The Qdoba is coming, but Chipotle I believe is just a rumor. One of the candidates for SG President has run partially on a "bring Chipotle to campus" slate. BUT, I think it is more order burritos and have them on campus a few times a year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
UChi Kid wrote:Qdoba is not actually Mexican food.
Seems like UChi kids are fucking geniuses.

Also: Qdoba is a pale shadow of Chipotle.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Also, if anyone knows someone who needs a summer sublet, let me know!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 pm

bk187 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
UChi Kid wrote:Qdoba is not actually Mexican food.
Seems like UChi kids are fucking geniuses.

Also: Qdoba is a pale shadow of Chipotle.
Scat, you foul northerner! Back to your fancy law school with its safe neighborhood and proximity to numerous dining options!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Scat, you foul northerner! Back to your fancy law school with its safe neighborhood and proximity to numerous dining options!
I literally live a block away from both a Chipotle and a Qdoba.

/peaceout

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”