UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wedge Antilles

New

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Don't worry it will be our little secret.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Try mercadito. I've been to su casa but only for drinks

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:Pretty sure Hemel is brand new so who knows.

For Levmore nothing will help you more than your class notes. Barely even have to read. For cold calls: hold on to your butts.
My general advice for all cold calls (for 1L-3L's) is just care a helluva lot less than you currently do about them. They could not matter less.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Does anybody have outlines or supplement recommendations for the following courses?

Antitrust Law (Krishnamurthy)
Litigating Financial Disputes (Casey)
Economic Analysis of the Law (Malani)
Class Action Controversies (Brody)

Thanks!

meyer5541

New

Post by meyer5541 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Supplement recommendations for the following courses? Thanks in advance!

Torts Levmore
Criminal Masur
Civ Pro Casey

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:21 pm

meyer5541 wrote:Supplement recommendations for the following courses? Thanks in advance!

Torts Levmore
Criminal Masur
Civ Pro Casey
Crim - Dressler
Civ Pro - Freer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:
meyer5541 wrote:Supplement recommendations for the following courses? Thanks in advance!

Torts Levmore
Criminal Masur
Civ Pro Casey
Crim - Dressler
Civ Pro - Freer
E&E civ pro is also really good. The best of the E&E's IMO

IAmTheAwesome

New

Post by IAmTheAwesome » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Any good supplements for crim law with Starr?

Thank you guys so much.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:30 pm

Dressler is the only supplement for crim law. It is the Alpha and Omega.

And just a minor PSA: supplements are not necessary to do well in law school. Don't go out and buy every supplement you read about on here before you even spend one day in class. I ended up only using them in certain classes (but Freer is so great I didn't even read the casebook for Civ Pro II) as things are very much professor dependent. Rent them from the library first. Borrow your friend's copy. Get old outlines and read over those. And please for the love of god don't read your casebooks or supplements before school starts. You have a month in one of the best cities in the world with fantastic weather forecasts coming up. Go enjoy yourself. It's going to be a long year.
Last edited by Wedge Antilles on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meyer5541

New

Post by meyer5541 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:

Torts Levmore
Criminal Masur
Civ Pro Casey
Crim - Dressler
Civ Pro - Freer
So nothing one can do with Levmore? seems like what I've found in other threads

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:47 pm

meyer5541 wrote:
So nothing one can do with Levmore? seems like what I've found in other threads
No. Levmore is a horse of a different color.

But more broadly - you have put me in a very preachy mood, so here goes - the first few weeks of law school, and even into the first set of exams, EVERYONE thinks their strategy is better than the next person's. Or you are freaking out because you can clearly see you're not studying as much as the next person so you think you're falling behind. Right now you guys probably think of supplements as that extra little thing no one has ever thought of as a way to get ahead and best your peers come exam time. If you have the right supplement you'll have a head start! or something. That is not the case. Supplements are there to do exactly what their name suggests: to supplement your learning. If you get everything from the textbook, then they're useless. If you get everything from old outlines and your class notes, then they're useless. Go ahead and read them if you want. I certainly found them useful for certain classes because I ended up hating the casebook most of the time.

The sheer number of people asking about supplements indicates two things to me though: 1) schedules have come out 2) and you eager beavers are trying your hardest to make sure you're prepared for what's coming. That's certainly respectable and I don't fault anyone for it. But I just want to emphasize how little you can do to prepare for whats coming up. There is a lot of time to start thinking about law school study strategy and exams. Don't do that right now.

Of course the cost of supplements is a write off compared to the assloads of money we are spending on tuition so if you're really just asking to make sure they get here in time for class, and promise you won't read them until October, I guess go ahead and ask. But I definitely advocate for the "buy them once you've gotten your feet wet and tried out different options before you do" approach.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:30 pm

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 pm

1L's are ridiculous about supplements (I was guilty of this as well). I think the only class where they are "necessary" is CivPro. Even then, borrow them from the reference room. Spending $200+ on them is a huge flame.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
IAmTheAwesome wrote:Any good supplements for crim law with Starr?

Thank you guys so much.
Starr is from Michigan. Folks here won't be able to help. ;)
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Dressler is the only recommended supplement for crim. And I also spent a bunch of time trying to put the supplement craze in perspective for everyone.

I know you ordered business cards for yourself so this is probably a losing battle, but you should really learn the limits your knowledge and stop acting like you know everything. Those people normally get hit by law school the hardest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:47 pm

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Talking to people from Michigan about your law professors at this stage is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:54 pm

bill_swerski

New

Post by bill_swerski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Longtime lurker/rising 2L here.

Although naturally the 1L's want to get a leg up with supplements, etc., I can also say having gone through the process that there really isn't much that you can do in terms of "preparation." All law professors are different, and more importantly, all students are different. One student may do really well with supplements, while another may do well by only using the casebook. There is no magic trick to 1L success.

That being said, I really do encourage 1Ls to listen to upperclassmen, including those who actively post on TLS. Some of the advice you receive may seem "harsh," but it would a shame to ignore it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Wedge Antilles wrote:Talking to people from Michigan about your law professors at this stage is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about.
The process was google professor -> see they are from Michigan -> ask 3L wat do -> post in Michigan thread as advised. It feels weirdly aggressive that you keep trying to shit on me about things and I don't know what I did to harm you personally.

If it'll make you happy, too, I'll gladly and readily admit that I expect you to be right and me to be wrong hundreds of times in the upcoming year(s). But that's part of the process, isn't it? I didn't come here because I already knew all the fucking answers, I'm just doing the best I can like everyone else.
You didn't do anything to me personally - that statement confuses me. But you coming in here and presuming to know what other students can and can't help with is typical of your special snowflake, "I'm already one of the insiders!" showmanship and it's annoying. But I'll stop now because otherwise we're gonna get a title change again.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 pm

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Wedge Antilles wrote:
No. Levmore is a horse of a different color.
To say the least. You may as well wipe your ass on the money as spend it on a supplement for Levmore.
Wedge Antilles wrote:But more broadly...
I also want to echo everything else he said. I watched people get absolutely wrecked by 1L, and they were almost all the kinds of people who came in thinking they were going to be Supreme Court clerks and then having the combination of a curve and an extremely impressive group of classmates disabuse them quickly of that notion. This sounds so cliche, and I'm one of the last people who would inanely spout cliches, but you really have to just do your own thing. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing or not doing; do what feels right to you. It's hard to know what that is at first, especially before you get that first set of exam grades back, but figure it out and your mental health will be so much better for it. Maybe "right" for some people legitimately is living in the fucking library and buying every supplement known to man and starting practice exams one month into class, but definitely not for everyone.

So, don't convince yourself that because NumberOneGunner hasn't breathed fresh air in eight weeks, your future success and very worth as a human being depends on you doing the same.

bill_swerski

New

Post by bill_swerski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Everything that elterrible said is spot on.

It's really best to approach 1L with the idea that you are entering unknown territory. You are in a class with some damn smart people; you won't know where you will stand until your spring exam grades are released in July (spring quarter counts for literally 60% of your grades, so even if you are steamrolling 1L exams fall/winter, you can get destroyed by a few bad spring exams. The reverse is obviously true also).

The worse thing is when you come into class with the idea that you are going to absolutely kill it. It's possible that you will, but it's even more likely that you will end up around median (which is not a bad thing, in spite of what a lot of 1Ls think). The bad part will be coming to grips that you are not as special as you thought. If you can get over that earlier on, I guarantee you will have a much better 1L experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”