UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Xifeng

Gold

Re: UChi Kids Taking Questions

Post by Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 pm

GoodFood wrote:How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

And how connected is the Law School to the entire University network? For example, Penn lets you take classes at Wharton for a certificate or something. Is there anything like that at Chicago, and do people actually take advantage of it?
First quarter is the most amazing thing in the world. I highly recommend treasuring it. Socialize, go outside, hug your family.

There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm

angrybird wrote:if it makes American_In_China feel better, Haymarket is the original aspie fuck.
:lol:

And he has friends at UChicago.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:17 pm

GoodFood wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Are you this spazzy and high-strung in real life? You average like 10 of these minute, mostly personal-preference based questions per post. I'm really wondering if any of these questions is important enough to make a difference.
Take it easy dude, it's the internet!

How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

And how connected is the Law School to the entire University network? For example, Penn lets you take classes at Wharton for a certificate or something. Is there anything like that at Chicago, and do people actually take advantage of it?
Yeah, many people take classes outside the law school. Mostly at Booth, but I know people taking a huge range of classes. There are also a significant number of business classes cross-listed and taught at the law school.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Xifeng wrote:
GoodFood wrote:How did you guys feel about the quarter system at UChi at the beginning of your 1L? Do you guys have any advice in terms of adjusting to it or getting the most out of it?

First quarter is the most amazing thing in the world. I highly recommend treasuring it. Socialize, go outside, hug your family.

There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.
+1 on fall quarter (THE GOOD OL' DAYS), and re: across the midway classes - I'll be sure to report back if they let me into Intro Norwegian.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Xifeng wrote:There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.
Also of note is that Chicago is increasing the amount of classes law students can take outside of the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Xifeng wrote:There's a certificate program with Booth, and the administration likes to tell us to go take classes "across the midway." Maybe the 2Ls/3Ls can talk about how easy that is, I have no idea.
Also of note is that Chicago is increasing the amount of classes law students can take outside of the law school.
Fo realz?

Also, everyone: Get of teh internets and come to bar review.

GoodFood

New

Post by GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Emma. wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Fo realz?

No, no, I have some more questions. :( Deposit deadline soon next week dude!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Emma. wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Fo realz?

Real Chicago students TLS at bar review. Wait....

GoodFood

New

Post by GoodFood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 pm

NYU has a LOT of students into international law and all things related. I know it's not something you "do," but are there a lot of students at UChi interested in that as well? Any notable faculty members on the subjects?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Emma. wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Fo realz?

Well I'm only a 0L, but on my visit during ASW Dean Schill stressed that they're increasing the number of classes. I know it's at 4 classes now, but I'm not sure what it's going up to.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 pm

GoodFood wrote:NYU has a LOT of students into international law and all things related. I know it's not something you "do," but are there a lot of students at UChi interested in that as well? Any notable faculty members on the subjects?
Ginsburg is fantastic. A 1L elective is Comparative Legal Institutions (that he teaches). I'd say people are interested in it, but I don't know what exactly that translates to.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:34 am

Dear admits in Civ Pro: ignore whatever that girl in the leather jacket said. She is an objetively terrible person.
Last edited by Haymarket on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Haymarket wrote:Dean admits in Civ Pro: ignore whatever that girl in the leather jacket said. She is an objectively terrible person.
/eagerly awaits her reply in this thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

knickerbocker

New

Post by knickerbocker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Besides looking at places to live, is there any point to visiting on a weekend? I've already sat in on classes (didn't say a word), but I thought maybe walking around the area one more time might be useful.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Besides looking at places to live, is there any point to visiting on a weekend? I've already sat in on classes (didn't say a word), but I thought maybe walking around the area one more time might be useful.
This sounds useless to me. The whole point of visiting the law school is to get a feel for the students, professors, and administration. You're not going to find any of that on a weekend. The facilities should not be a major factor in your decision.

Looking for places to live is always a good use of time, though.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 pm

f7u12 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
angrybird wrote:if it makes American_In_China feel better, Haymarket is the original aspie fuck.
:lol:

And he has friends at UChicago.
Does he keep them all in his friend box?
And his "looks like a boy" box.

knickerbocker

New

Post by knickerbocker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:16 pm

How many studetns are there in a typical 1L class, not including the LRW one?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 pm

knickerbocker wrote:How many studetns are there in a typical 1L class, not including the LRW one?
~90

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Boy did I miss a shitshow in here.

Also, fuck this brief. Fuck it fuck it fuck it.

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm starting to have reservations about my decision to enroll at Chicago. I still haven't withdrawn from NYU. I'd like to work in a large firm in NYC my 2L summer and after graduation. It seems to me that NYU students have better access to NYC firms. At least, an NYU student can be below median and stand a good chance of finding a Big Law job. Can Chicago students at median (where the vast majority of the class resides) access Big Law jobs in NYC?

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 pm

cjcregg wrote:I'm starting to have reservations about my decision to enroll at Chicago. I still haven't withdrawn from NYU. I'd like to work in a large firm in NYC my 2L summer and after graduation. It seems to me that NYU students have better access to NYC firms. At least, an NYU student can be below median and stand a good chance of finding a Big Law job. Can Chicago students at median (where the vast majority of the class resides) access Big Law jobs in NYC?
Chicago typically places better into Big Law than NYU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 pm

cjcregg wrote:I'm starting to have reservations about my decision to enroll at Chicago. I still haven't withdrawn from NYU. I'd like to work in a large firm in NYC my 2L summer and after graduation. It seems to me that NYU students have better access to NYC firms. At least, an NYU student can be below median and stand a good chance of finding a Big Law job. Can Chicago students at median (where the vast majority of the class resides) access Big Law jobs in NYC?
Yes.

I have no idea what you mean about "better access," but you'll do just fine in NYC coming from UChi.

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Emma. wrote:
Yes.

I have no idea what you mean about "better access," but you'll do just fine in NYC coming from UChi.
you mean to tell me nyc firms don't hire by walking out into the lobby, beckoning a random 1L lurking by the reception desk, and saying "come with me kid, you're gonna go far..."

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Emma. wrote:
Yes.

I'm sorry, but can you be a little more specific? You probably can't be fine in NYC regardless of what your grades are like in Chicago. I'm asking what sort of grades you need at minimum at Chicago to merit consideration at large firms in NYC. What I have heard is that if you're in the bottom-third at Chicago, you should target other markets.
Flash wrote:Chicago typically places better into Big Law than NYU.
I assumed this was true before, but NYU seems to place a slightly higher-percentage of graduates in firms w/ more than 500 attorneys.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata
http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/e ... /index.htm

GoodFood

New

Post by GoodFood » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:27 pm

cjcregg wrote:
Flash wrote:Chicago typically places better into Big Law than NYU.
I assumed this was true before, but NYU seems to place a slightly higher-percentage of graduates in firms w/ more than 500 attorneys.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata
http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/e ... /index.htm
ETA: Actually, Chicago did better by 1.81% for the Class of 2010 :D

Math:

(NYU)--487*.61 at EIW = 307 Students at Firms, 307*.81 = 248 at 500+ firms. 248/497 = 49.89% of the entire class ended up at 500+ firms.

(UChi)--195*71 at OCI = 139 Students at Firms, .139*.73 = 101 Students at 500+ firms. 101/195 = 51.79% of the entire class ended up at 500+ firms.

Yes, NYU placed more of it's graduates who MADE THE CUT during EIW at 500+ firms, but a smaller portion of the class seems to have MADE THE CUT to begin with =). Although stuff like PI/clerkship bias and all that jazz complicates the whole picture (how many wanted biglaw at each school to begin with, etc). I think it's safe to say that at the very least, they place equally well into NYC biglaw. Agreed?

ETA2: And the year before, Chicago did much better at 500+ firms actually:

Math2:

(NYU)--(471*.716 at EIW)*(.815 at 500+ firms)/471 = 58.35% of the entire 2009 class at NYU went into a 500+ firm.
(Chicago)--(206*.805 at OCI)*(.828 at 500+ firms)/206 = 66.65% of the entire 2009 class at UChicago went into a 500+ firm.

That's an 8.3% advantage in favor of Chicago :D (unless my math is stupid, someone intelligent should double check).
Last edited by GoodFood on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”