UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Companion Cube

Silver

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by Companion Cube » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Tiny Dancer wrote:Thoughts on not taking Con Law?

Does taking it make studying for the bar any easier?
I probably wouldn't take the bar into account when picking classes. That said, I'd consider taking it 1) because it's fun 2) it's one of those things that any lawyer should probably at least have a basic understanding of. Reasonable minds may disagree though.

Tiny Dancer

New

Post by Tiny Dancer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 am

Companion Cube wrote:

I probably wouldn't take the bar into account when picking classes. That said, I'd consider taking it 1) because it's fun 2) it's one of those things that any lawyer should probably at least have a basic understanding of. Reasonable minds may disagree though.
Why not? Won't it make studying less stressful?

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Tiny Dancer wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:

Primarily because, statistically speaking, you will pass the bar regardless of the classes you choose. Second, what's tested on the bar can vary drastically from the way any given professor teaches a subject. Also, with some courses, taking a bar class can even make studying for the bar more difficult because you may have to "unlearn" the way you know it from class for the bar.

Tiny Dancer

New

Post by Tiny Dancer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Companion Cube wrote:
Tiny Dancer wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:

Primarily because, statistically speaking, you will pass the bar regardless of the classes you choose. Second, what's tested on the bar can vary drastically from the way any given professor teaches a subject. Also, with some courses, taking a bar class can even make studying for the bar more difficult because you may have to "unlearn" the way you know it from class for the bar.
Thanks for this. Great points.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Companion Cube wrote:
Tiny Dancer wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:

I don't know. I don't buy that any professor's class is going to be so off the wall that it hurts you in bar study. Hell, even Levmore's torts class still came in handy with bar exam torts. And I wouldn't recommend going through law school without taking at least a couple bar exam classes. For sure don't plan your whole schedule around bar classes, but consider taking at least 2 classes from among the various ConLaws, Crim Pro, & Evidence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiny Dancer

New

Post by Tiny Dancer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:21 am

Emma. wrote: I don't know. I don't buy that any professor's class is going to be so off the wall that it hurts you in bar study. Hell, even Levmore's torts class still came in handy with bar exam torts. And I wouldn't recommend going through law school without taking at least a couple bar exam classes. For sure don't plan your whole schedule around bar classes, but consider taking at least 2 classes from among the various ConLaws, Crim Pro, & Evidence.
Which of the Con Laws did you find to be most helpful in your studies?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Tiny Dancer wrote:
Emma. wrote: I don't know. I don't buy that any professor's class is going to be so off the wall that it hurts you in bar study. Hell, even Levmore's torts class still came in handy with bar exam torts. And I wouldn't recommend going through law school without taking at least a couple bar exam classes. For sure don't plan your whole schedule around bar classes, but consider taking at least 2 classes from among the various ConLaws, Crim Pro, & Evidence.
Which of the Con Laws did you find to be most helpful in your studies?
By graduation, I had taken ConLaw 1, Equal Protection (I think that's #3?) and Fed Jur. Hard to say which was most helpful as far as the bar went, but having a background in those (and CrimPro and Evidence) certainly helped take the pressure off come time to study for the bar. I'd say if you are only going to take one Con Law class in law school, take Equal Protection. Especially if you can take it with Strauss. Or just take whatever ConLaw class Strauss is teaching. He's amazing.

boeing787

New

Post by boeing787 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:46 am

I'm a new student and only have interest in working in NY. What grades do I need to achieve to land BigLaw? Are there people who strike out at OCI even though they only bid NY?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:39 am

boeing787 wrote:I'm a new student and only have interest in working in NY. What grades do I need to achieve to land BigLaw?
Median should be fine and below median you can still get an offer
re there people who strike out at OCI even though they only bid NY?
Yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:30 pm

boeing787 wrote:I'm a new student and only have interest in working in NY. What grades do I need to achieve to land BigLaw? Are there people who strike out at OCI even though they only bid NY?
I never understand these questions. Just do your best.

chicago-gunner123

New

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:09 pm

boeing787 wrote:I'm a new student and only have interest in working in NY. What grades do I need to achieve to land BigLaw?
Honestly just try your hardest and you'll probably be fine. Now is not the time to be thinking about grades.

chicago-gunner123

New

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Housing Initiative clinic? I am considering adding it. Work looks really interesting to me, more curious how hard grading is and how much work it is?

Thanks in advance!

bbridge

New

Post by bbridge » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:26 pm

I have Levmore for Torts. Does anyone recommend buying and reading his Foundations of Tort Law? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:19 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Pretty sure Hemel is brand new so who knows.

For Levmore nothing will help you more than your class notes. Barely even have to read. For cold calls: hold on to your butts.

Tiny Dancer

New

Post by Tiny Dancer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:44 am

bbridge wrote:I have Levmore for Torts. Does anyone recommend buying and reading his Foundations of Tort Law? Thanks!
Don't do it. I bought it and it bore little reflection to what he did in class.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:42 am

Wedge Antilles wrote:Pretty sure Hemel is brand new so who knows.

For Levmore nothing will help you more than your class notes. Barely even have to read. For cold calls: hold on to your butts.
Yep, this 100%. If you're worried about the coldcalls:

1. Don't, it doesn't matter, everyone has bad ones with him/Henderson, they don't matter for your grades and you can still do really well even bombing every single one of your coldcalls
2. Try not to be too law-student-y? He'll rough you up if you fall back on doctrine. Just... kinda think about whether things make sense? This also applies to his exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Wedge Antilles wrote:Pretty sure Hemel is brand new so who knows.

Yep, this 100%. If you're worried about the coldcalls:

1. Don't, it doesn't matter, everyone has bad ones with him/Henderson, they don't matter for your grades and you can still do really well even bombing every single one of your coldcalls
2. Try not to be too law-student-y? He'll rough you up if you fall back on doctrine. Just... kinda think about whether things make sense? This also applies to his exam.
Other than his rep re: cold calling, would you say that Levmore is a good prof?

DontStopBeliebin

New

Post by DontStopBeliebin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:58 am

I think he teaches/forces you to think about the law in more interesting ways than most of my 1L profs did, so from a "if you're here to learn how to think better" he's a good prof. From a "if you're here to study hard to get a good grade" you'll be more frustrated than not trying to figure out what he wants and how that relates to your grade. From a "if you're here to pass the bar" you won't learn much from him.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:40 pm

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:27 pm

DontStopBeliebin wrote:I think he teaches/forces you to think about the law in more interesting ways than most of my 1L profs did, so from a "if you're here to learn how to think better" he's a good prof. From a "if you're here to study hard to get a good grade" you'll be more frustrated than not trying to figure out what he wants and how that relates to your grade. From a "if you're here to pass the bar" you won't learn much from him.
Agreed on all points. I'd also add that if you like fun, he is a good prof.
Wahrheit wrote:How are Maravillas and Pepe's?
bad and somehow worse

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:32 pm

I've now tried all 3 sushi places in HP that I know of. They're all pretty much the same, with a slight nod towards Shinju for their salmon nigiri (that's what I got at all 3).

Wedge Antilles

New

Post by Wedge Antilles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Wahrheit wrote:Is there date-worthy Mexican within walking distance of MSI?
YEAH get those impressionable 1Ls.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
DontStopBeliebin wrote:I think he teaches/forces you to think about the law in more interesting ways than most of my 1L profs did, so from a "if you're here to learn how to think better" he's a good prof. From a "if you're here to study hard to get a good grade" you'll be more frustrated than not trying to figure out what he wants and how that relates to your grade. From a "if you're here to pass the bar" you won't learn much from him.
Agreed on all points. I'd also add that if you like fun, he is a good prof.
Wahrheit wrote:How are Maravillas and Pepe's?
bad and somehow worse
Is there date-worthy Mexican within walking distance of MSI?
No. Go downtown for Mexican.

Forewarnig: the food will still be mediocre, but the margaritas will be good and the atmosphere "date worthy"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”