UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm

courtneylove wrote:any pc users having drama with the new exam software? idk if it's related, but after installing it a few days ago i started having all kinds of other issues with my laptop, stuff that hasn't happened before.
I know a couple of other people who have started having problems since installing this exam software, but who knows if there's a causal connection.

Also, this exam software is bullshit.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Also, this exam software is bullshit.
Seriously.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Why not fix a problem that doesn't exist? It's the lawl school way

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 am

SO HOW'S THAT EXAM SOFTWARE WORKING OUT FOR EVERYBODY?

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm

we should at least have an option to use the old download/upload format if it worked for us. this interface is bs. i feel like i'm using wordperfect for dos.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Lol@ Dean Gardner emailing us warning disciplinary action for "discussing the exam" on people who were discussing how to access it when ExamSoft shat the bed. What a douche broad reading of discussion.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:53 pm

lol. Classic UChicago.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:SO HOW'S THAT EXAM SOFTWARE WORKING OUT FOR EVERYBODY?
Ctrl X'd a huge section from one part of my exam and tried to move it to a different question because I had the parties mixed up. Well, apparently Examsoft didn't take kindly to that because it wouldn't allow me to paste nor undo the cut. But apparently it allows you to copy + paste from a Word doc (though the school prohibits it). It makes no sense.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:57 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:SO HOW'S THAT EXAM SOFTWARE WORKING OUT FOR EVERYBODY?
Ctrl X'd a huge section from one part of my exam and tried to move it to a different question because I had the parties mixed up. Well, apparently Examsoft didn't take kindly to that because it wouldn't allow me to paste nor undo the cut. But apparently it allows you to copy + paste from a Word doc (though the school prohibits it). It makes no sense.
I have heard nothing but bad things about this software. Where's Emma? I want to know how much we're paying for the privilege of being punished by this software.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MatMat

New

Post by MatMat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: I have heard nothing but bad things about this software. Where's Emma? I want to know how much we're paying for the privilege of being punished by this software.
This is what really gets me. What's better than solving a non-problem by paying someone to make real problems? Kudos to DG and Masur.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 pm

UChi just switched to ExamSoft too? NU just started making us use their website to upload exams (my theory is that they are doing it in preparation of us using the software).

DO. NOT. WANT.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 pm

bk187 wrote:UChi just switched to ExamSoft too? NU just started making us use their website to upload exams (my theory is that they are doing it in preparation of us using the software).

DO. NOT. WANT.
Yup. And people had all kinds of problems with it and got in trouble for asking each other stuff like "How do I download the PDF exam?" :|

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Dany wrote:Yup. And people had all kinds of problems with it and got in trouble for asking each other stuff like "How do I download the PDF exam?" :|
Are UChi's exams self-scheduled?

We have a dedicated room to print off exams in that has people to help out (and who will give extra time if there are fuck ups). Some people take exams at home but I figure I'm safer off doing it at school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 pm

bk187 wrote:
Dany wrote:Yup. And people had all kinds of problems with it and got in trouble for asking each other stuff like "How do I download the PDF exam?" :|
Are UChi's exams self-scheduled?

We have a dedicated room to print off exams in that has people to help out (and who will give extra time if there are fuck ups). Some people take exams at home but I figure I'm safer off doing it at school.
Depends. The 1L take-homes have to be done the same day and have a window of time to start the exam (8am-9am) and you can do those at home, but the other ones are in-class. I think the problems were with a take-home exam.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm

There were problems with in-class ones, too. Some people had to take the exams on IT's laptops and the exam started late.

This is gonna be a great week :|

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Xifeng wrote:There were problems with in-class ones, too. Some people had to take the exams on IT's laptops and the exam started late.

This is gonna be a great week :|
Did they give them time to download files before starting? I'LL DIE WITHOUT ctrl+f.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Dany wrote:I'LL DIE WITHOUT ctrl+f.
So much this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Dany wrote:
bk187 wrote:UChi just switched to ExamSoft too? NU just started making us use their website to upload exams (my theory is that they are doing it in preparation of us using the software).

DO. NOT. WANT.
Yup. And people had all kinds of problems with it and got in trouble for asking each other stuff like "How do I download the PDF exam?" :|
To be fair, they posted their questions on an open facebook group and had been repeatedly warned to "OMFG DO NOT DO THAT!" Or at least, that was the message I got at training

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:15 am

I mean, I didn't go to the training, but I feel like "Crap I can't figure out how to download this exam is anyone else having problems?" isn't really compromising any "exam integrity." Especially because they were probably just worried 1Ls and panicking that things were going wrong with their first law school exam.

zags

New

Post by zags » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 am

Would there actually be sanctions from that?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 am

There's no way, that would be completely unreasonable. The system already caused enough panic attacks, that should be punishment enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 am

2014 wrote:There's no way, that would be completely unreasonable. The system already caused enough panic attacks, that should be punishment enough.
Ah, I remember my first quarter at The Law School.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 am

I suppose by Spring I will have lost all faith in humanity (Aka AMG) to do the right thing instead of only losing most faith.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Dany wrote:I mean, I didn't go to the training, but I feel like "Crap I can't figure out how to download this exam is anyone else having problems?" isn't really compromising any "exam integrity." Especially because they were probably just worried 1Ls and panicking that things were going wrong with their first law school exam.
I get that. But they were given incredibly specific instructions about what to do. A few people in my section had that problem and did the normal thing and called the registrar and just chilled. As opposed to the people who got upset the registrar didn't immediately call them back and then posted it on a public facebook forum.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 pm

even if they had exams and practiced, this program is doing some crazy stuff. it let me take one practice exam, and then when i tried to take a second i had all kinds of drama opening the program, etc. i don't know much about computers, but i haven't had this much trouble with new software since like 1995.

can we mobilize the upass committee to convince AMG to just walk away? like, the system we had before was amazing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”