UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Rahviveh

Gold

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Those of you paying sticker or near-sticker at UChi, how do you feel about your decision now? If you had to do it again would you rather go to a lower T14 with money?

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Those of you paying sticker or near-sticker at UChi, how do you feel about your decision now? If you had to do it again would you rather go to a lower T14 with money?
1Ls haven't started classes. 2Ls just had OCI. You are not going to get unbiased answers.
That said, Chicago is awesome, and beautiful. Hyde Park too- especially if you play chess, since Harold Washington Park is the street chess center of Chicago. I'm learning whole new levels of shit talking.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Those of you paying sticker or near-sticker at UChi, how do you feel about your decision now? If you had to do it again would you rather go to a lower T14 with money?

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Bad. Yes but ideally not go at all.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:15 pm

American_in_China wrote:
1Ls haven't started classes. 2Ls just had OCI. You are not going to get unbiased answers.
That said, Chicago is awesome, and beautiful. Hyde Park too- especially if you play chess, since Harold Washington Park is the street chess center of Chicago. I'm learning whole new levels of shit talking.
Yeah, OCI is a huge pain and can really do a number on the old ego. Paying near sticker and still love law school and UChicago though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 pm

My scholarship is nothing to write home about, but I have no regrets about coming to Chicago. It was, 100%, the right decision for me.

Liquox

Bronze

Post by Liquox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

about how many people go to office hours every time profs have office hours?

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Liquox wrote:about how many people go to office hours every time profs have office hours?
I honestly can't remember how many professors had official office hours. Definitely not all of them. Most will tell you that they are around their offices during normal times in the day outside of class and to come by whenever. I personally went to go see a professor in their office for something related to class maybe like.....once during all of 1L.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Liquox wrote:about how many people go to office hours every time profs have office hours?
The only time I ever go to office hours is around exams. Profs generally make themselves available for extended periods of time during the lead in to their exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:38 pm

How strong is the diversity and minority organizations at Chi?

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:24 am

Not so strong that they'll embrace the diversity of your grammar.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 am

anewaphorist wrote:
I see somebody's already gunning for the gold medal in the 1L popularity olympics.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:
I see somebody's already gunning for the gold medal in the 1L popularity olympics.
Someone should start organizing a study group...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:56 am

Can anyone comment on the 1L professors?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 pm

tamereth wrote:Can anyone comment on the 1L professors?
Who do you have?

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Going to just post all the professors, since maybe other 1Ls will want to know about the other professors.
Elements: Stone/Strauss
Civ Pro: Buss/Hubbard
Crim Law: Masur/Harcourt
Torts: Levmore/Fennell
LRW: Schwartz/Buccola/Reilly/Bernstein/Boni-Saenz/Ford

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:18 pm

tamereth wrote:Going to just post all the professors, since maybe other 1Ls will want to know about the other professors.
Buss is amazing. Awesome civ pro prof, and great to have your first quarter of 1L. This is really all you need to know about her.

Stone was great for Elements. Last year we learned basically three things, and there were three questions on the exam about those three things. Exam tip: type A LOT and say anything/everything coherent you can think of. He uses a “checkmark” system, where he gives a checkmark every time he thinks the exam makes "a good point" and the number of checkmarks determines your grade.

Levmore is a great prof and probably the most entertaining of the professors I had, but have fun with that exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 pm

tamereth wrote:Going to just post all the professors, since maybe other 1Ls will want to know about the other professors.
I had Buss for civ pro 1. She is extremely intelligent but also very caring and helpful. She has a reputation as being just about the nicest and most empathetic 1L professor, and considering that most professors here are nice that should tell you something. For us she gave a word-limited take-home exam; not sure if she is going to do that again, but either way know the rules very well and look at her old exams. In some other classes older exams were not very useful to me, but hers were very valuable because some of the same issues came up across several exams and I think she sticks to a similar format from year to year which could help with timing practice.

I had Hubbard for civ pro 2. Brilliant guy, and a pretty new (and great) professor. Econ background (PhD from uchicago) and former litigator, so in our class he was very interested in quizzing people on what the strategies might be behind the actions of the lawyers in the cases. He has high expectations when you're on-call, and while he's not mean he will call you out if your answers are bad. Also, he asked questions about the notes cases more than any of my other professors, so while you don't have to go look them up on lexis and become an expert on them, make sure to carefully read the notes sections to see what they say.

Masur for crim: He's great. He seemed to really like posing lots of hypos in our class. He'd put someone on call for a while and ask lots of good line-drawing questions (e.g. "In this case it was considered reckless to do X. What if he'd done Y? What if Z fact had been different? etc.), so make sure to pay good attention because he liked to switch is up and bring in other people to add to that conversation. High-energy in class.

chicago5647

New

Post by chicago5647 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
tamereth wrote:
I had Hubbard for civ pro 2. Brilliant guy, and a pretty new (and great) professor. Econ background (PhD from uchicago) and former litigator, so in our class he was very interested in quizzing people on what the strategies might be behind the actions of the lawyers in the cases. He has high expectations when you're on-call, and while he's not mean he will call you out if your answers are bad. Also, he asked questions about the notes cases more than any of my other professors, so while you don't have to go look them up on lexis and become an expert on them, make sure to carefully read the notes sections to see what they say.
Yup. I thought he was a great professor. But he expects a lot when you are on call. He seemed to always push people until they couldn't answer a question- the questions will get more and more detailed and buried in the notes. Hang in there, everyone will eventually get stumped in his class. He also did call a few people out. But again, I would take a class from him again as I thought he was a great professor. I also found him very accessible after class and was willing to spend a lot of time with students.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:48 pm

As a general PSA, you all should read http://uchilawgo.wordpress.com/

& none of the current 2Ls had Strauss for Elements (but he's taught it in past years) or Harcourt for Crim. But we've had everyone else for the core classes.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I had Buss for civ pro 1. She is extremely intelligent but also very caring and helpful. She has a reputation as being just about the nicest and most empathetic 1L professor, and considering that most professors here are nice that should tell you something. For us she gave a word-limited take-home exam; not sure if she is going to do that again, but either way know the rules very well and look at her old exams. In some other classes older exams were not very useful to me, but hers were very valuable because some of the same issues came up across several exams and I think she sticks to a similar format from year to year which could help with timing practice.
Cosign all of this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:06 pm

If you do have Levmore, though, I hope it's not your first cold call. It's an experience.

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for all the great replies, guys! And the picture links :D

Lekal

New

Post by Lekal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Questions on buying textbooks- is it reasonable to start finding good deals on Amazon and BookServ now, or are the prices good enough at that GreenBook sale next week that we should hold out? And any words of wisdom on buying older editions of casebooks? Is that pretty safe, provided there haven't been obvious substantive changes in the law since the previous edition?

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Lekal wrote:Questions on buying textbooks- is it reasonable to start finding good deals on Amazon and BookServ now, or are the prices good enough at that GreenBook sale next week that we should hold out? And any words of wisdom on buying older editions of casebooks? Is that pretty safe, provided there haven't been obvious substantive changes in the law since the previous edition?

I wouldn't rely on the Greenbooks sale for all of your text books. I think when I went 1L year they only had a few copies of each of the case books, so only the first few got to buy them, and they were the same price or more expensive than students trying to sell them via email.

I know other people have used older editions for casebooks, but it can often just be a huge annoyance because the page numbers don't line up at all, or certain cases are missing. Of course you can always find the missing cases online, but you have to be willing to put a lot of time in up front comparing the books.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”