UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ellewoods110

Bronze

Re: UChi 1Ls - 2 Quarters Down (!!) & Taking Questions

Post by ellewoods110 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 pm

Ghost wrote:I just want to confirm before I run off and sign a lease, cars are NOT required right?
You should be able to get most places you want to get without one. Are you getting a lease in Hyde Park? I live in Regents and only miss my car when I'm carrying groceries home.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am

Ghost wrote:I just want to confirm before I run off and sign a lease, cars are NOT required right?
I live at Regents, have a car, and park on the street. This has worked well for me. I think I might break even or make a little by not having to pay for the train and being able to shop at the CHEAP target store on highway 55 (prices are 50-60% of what they are in Hyde Park).

However, having a car in Chicago is extremely expensive and difficult if you don't do it right-- you have to pay for a 100-buck city tag, get ticketed all the time, really have trouble finding parking outside of regents, and have to pay very expensive parking downtown, in the north side, and in south loop.

To survive with a car, I brought an out of state license plate (didn't have to pay for the city tag), appealed every single ticket I got (they will always overturn them if you argue it forceably enough), learned the art of being aggressive and reckless in taking open parking spots (and sizing up the person you are battling for a spot-- never mess with Southsiders), tapping without shame (fitting into spots with one inch on each side), and have found several secret free parking spots downtown, in South Loop, by sports venues, and in Wrigleyville. Driving in Chicago is actually a great way to let off some of the stress and frustration from 1L year.

To answer your actual question, you do not need a car for anything. Professor Baird (former dean) has been teaching at Chicago for like 20 years and lives in Hyde Park. He mentioned that he has never had a car or drivers license and just takes cabs or public transportation everywhere.

onwisconsin25

New

Post by onwisconsin25 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:09 am

Hi everyone! I'm a Chicago 1L as well and also happy to answer questions...i kind of forgot TLS existed until today...whoops

onwisconsin25

New

Post by onwisconsin25 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:16 am

I have a car and I love having it, but I had one in undergrad so I'm spoiled with it. You can easily, easily do Chicago w/o a car but I have one and have never had a problem. I park in Regents and have no problems there, and I prefer driving to class instead of taking the bus. It's really a matter of personal preference and how much you use your car. I also go to the suburbs a lot to see friends/family so a car is useful for me in that respect.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

New

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:15 pm

How hard is it to get a 182+? Do the top 1 or 2 exams in a class get 182+ or is it next to unheard of to get that high? How about 180?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:19 pm

how cold is it right now? Do i need to bring a parka to asw?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:How hard is it to get a 182+? Do the top 1 or 2 exams in a class get 182+ or is it next to unheard of to get that high? How about 180?
It is very hard to score in the 180s, but definitely not unheard of. I think the top grade in a class is often a 183 (and theoretically could be as high as a 186 but those are pretty much mythological) so in a large 1L class of ≈100 I'd guess there are maybe 4-5 grades of 182 and above?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm

trudat15 wrote:how cold is it right now? Do i need to bring a parka to asw?
Weather.com's 10 day forecast hits ASW now! This forecast can obviously change between now and then so I'd check back early next week. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/60615

le_taon

New

Post by le_taon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Emma. wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:How hard is it to get a 182+? Do the top 1 or 2 exams in a class get 182+ or is it next to unheard of to get that high? How about 180?
It is very hard to score in the 180s, but definitely not unheard of. I think the top grade in a class is often a 183 (and theoretically could be as high as a 186 but those are pretty much mythological) so in a large 1L class of ≈100 I'd guess there are maybe 4-5 grades of 182 and above?
I don't actually know, and I don't think anyone does. It does depends on the professor.

There's no mandate that professors give a certain number of A's, as I understand it, and even to the extent there is, there's no requirement that they give a number of A's above a certain number.

The only requirements, as I understand them, are: (a) a median of 177 (middle B), and (b) the number of A's are roughly equal to C's.

Anyway, I know for a fact that in a number of classes the highest grade was 184 or 183, and, very rarely, 185. But I've also heard a rumor that in one class the highest was 181.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 pm

le_taon wrote:
Emma. wrote:
I don't actually know, and I don't think anyone does. It does depends on the professor.

There's no mandate that professors give a certain number of A's, as I understand it, and even to the extent there is, there's no requirement that they give a number of A's above a certain number.

The only requirements, as I understand them, are: (a) a median of 177 (middle B), and (b) the number of A's are roughly equal to C's.

Anyway, I know for a fact that in a number of classes the highest grade was 184 or 183, and, very rarely, 185. But I've also heard a rumor that in one class the highest was 181.
Definitely depends on the prof. If you have Helmholz for property, (in his words)....WATCH OUT. He gives very low Cs.

Also, I do know someone who got a 186 in a 1L class (yes, I saw it. was a unique circumstance though - students don't usually talk about grades). But those are very, very rare. Usually about 10% of the class gets As, and from various rumors (though by no means confirmed) the highest grades are typically around 184, while the lowest are 171-73.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Emma. wrote:
Weather.com's 10 day forecast hits ASW now! This forecast can obviously change between now and then so I'd check back early next week. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/60615

So I may be biased because I grew up watching his weather forecasts, but I only trust Tom Skilling, the greatest weatherman in the entire world (and whenever I rely on weather.com they get it wrong). His forecast doesn't quite reach ASW yet, but just keep checking it. Here's a handy link!
http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/#& ... r&lpos=Sub

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:43 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

So I may be biased because I grew up watching his weather forecasts, but I only trust Tom Skilling, the greatest weatherman in the entire world (and whenever I rely on weather.com they get it wrong). His forecast doesn't quite reach ASW yet, but just keep checking it. Here's a handy link!
It's 85 where I am right now, and 40s in Chicago. What have I gotten myself into??

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:56 pm

trudat15 wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

It's 85 where I am right now, and 40s in Chicago. What have I gotten myself into??
It's a very warm 40!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 pm

ellewoods110 wrote: It's a very warm 40!!

I was unaware that there was such a thing.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:35 pm

trudat15 wrote:

If it's 40 in chicago in January it'll feel like 75.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Sentry wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

If it's 40 in chicago in January it'll feel like 75.
If it's 40 in Jan, wont it feel like -10 because of the wind?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:45 pm

marburger06 wrote:
le_taon wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Definitely depends on the prof. If you have Helmholz for property, (in his words)....WATCH OUT. He gives very low Cs.

Also, I do know someone who got a 186 in a 1L class (yes, I saw it. was a unique circumstance though - students don't usually talk about grades). But those are very, very rare. Usually about 10% of the class gets As, and from various rumors (though by no means confirmed) the highest grades are typically around 184, while the lowest are 171-73.
My biggest issue is that some employers don't know how to deal with the grades so they automatically follow the letter-grading scale on the transcript. A 179 is much different than a 174 and some employers treat it the same. (aka a "B")

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:26 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
My biggest issue is that some employers don't know how to deal with the grades so they automatically follow the letter-grading scale on the transcript. A 179 is much different than a 174 and some employers treat it the same. (aka a "B")
This is a good point, but hopefully there are also employers who look at a 174 and don't understand the grading system/assume it is like the LSAT and think it is an awesome grade.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
This is a good point, but hopefully there are also employers who look at a 174 and don't understand the grading system/assume it is like the LSAT and think it is an awesome grade.
Lior said this verbatim the other day. :lol:

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Dany wrote:
Emma. wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Lior said this verbatim the other day. :lol:
That's my plan for getting a job.

le_taon

New

Post by le_taon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:My biggest issue is that some employers don't know how to deal with the grades so they automatically follow the letter-grading scale on the transcript. A 179 is much different than a 174 and some employers treat it the same. (aka a "B")
This is possible, but I don't know why any employer who goes through the trouble of looking to see the ranges would assume that a high B is the same as a low one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 am

I read on the website (http://www.law.uchicago.edu/studentorgs/winemess) that Wine Mess cost money. What kind of prices are we talking here?

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:16 am

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:17 am

Ghost wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I read on the website (http://www.law.uchicago.edu/studentorgs/winemess) that Wine Mess cost money. What kind of prices are we talking here?
I know it's heavily subsidized. I forgot what the 1L's said it costs, though.
Man, I just site-searched "heavily subsidized wine mess" before you posted that because that's all I could remember as well. :lol:

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:21 am

Dany wrote:
Ghost wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I read on the website (http://www.law.uchicago.edu/studentorgs/winemess) that Wine Mess cost money. What kind of prices are we talking here?
I know it's heavily subsidized. I forgot what the 1L's said it costs, though.
Man, I just site-searched "heavily subsidized wine mess" before you posted that because that's all I could remember as well. :lol:
Haha of course this is a primary consideration, an urgent matter really :)

Haha and I cant believe two people responded at 2:30 in the morning!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”