UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zhenders

Silver

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by zhenders » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:41 am

Cantbanthesnowman wrote:Reminds me why I chose to go to Uchi. Dont come here if you're a PUSSY. Go to Berkeley or some other lame ass school

Even if this is a joke, ftfy. Most UofC rising 2Ls and 3Ls are friendly and chill. This kind of stupid-ass sexism isn't a thing here.

Cantbanthesnowman

New

Post by Cantbanthesnowman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:58 am

zhenders wrote:
Cantbanthesnowman wrote:Reminds me why I chose to go to Uchi. Dont come here if you're a PUSSY. Go to Berkeley or some other lame ass school

Even if this is a joke, ftfy. Most UofC rising 2Ls and 3Ls are friendly and chill. This kind of stupid-ass sexism isn't a thing here.
That has nothing to do with anything. The schools made a decision that people can come here and say things that might be offensive to some. Sorry you lost pal.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:08 am

Cantbanthesnowman wrote:
zhenders wrote:

That has nothing to do with anything. The schools made a decision that people can come here and say things that might be offensive to some. Sorry you lost pal.
5% chance this guy actually goes here

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:10 am

wtf is even happening right now in this thread
daedalus2309 wrote:
Cantbanthesnowman wrote:
zhenders wrote:

5% chance this guy actually goes here
yeah this

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Hey, look, turns out you CAN ban the snowman.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Hey, look, turns out you CAN ban the snowman.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 pm

I do think there's a mildly interesting conversation to be had regarding that letter. I thought it was poorly worded but agree with the overall gist. An academic atmosphere should be respectful but open.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:08 pm

What a weirdo.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:I do think there's a mildly interesting conversation to be had regarding that letter. I thought it was poorly worded but agree with the overall gist. An academic atmosphere should be respectful but open.
Right. This letter was more about posturing (and culture-war signaling) than about genuinely addressing the issue. It's disappointing because I feel like it's worth discussing. Geof Stone and Prof. Strauss have both addressed it before in a nuanced and respectful way. It can be done. This was not it. I would not feel respected as an incoming freshman who got that letter. It's not up to the intellectual or interpersonal standards that I've come to expect from U of C as an institution.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Also so much of this is just really inflated and silly.

From here http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
And while formal policies on trigger warnings are rare — fewer than 1 percent of respondents said their institution had one — 15 percent said students had requested trigger warnings in their courses, and 12 percent said students complained about the absence of such warnings, according to the report from the coalition of more than 50 national nonprofits supporting First Amendment principles.
Students have...complained?!?! Surely the robust tenure system will protect professors from entertaining stupid complaints from students! Oh, wait, higer ed administrators are trying to gut the academy by replacing tenure-track professors with powerless adjuncts? Surely that's not the problem! How could it be the problem if it's not caused by 19-year-old girls?! I mean, really, let's focus on the serious issues here:
That same year, after a debate over sexual assault on campus was scheduled, students at Brown University organized a safe space on campus with counselors, bubbles, Play-Doh and pillows. The space was designed to give students who might find the discussion troubling a place to recuperate, The New York Times reported.
ACADEMIC FREEDOM WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM THIS INSULT

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:52 pm

landshoes wrote:Also so much of this is just really inflated and silly.

From here http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
And while formal policies on trigger warnings are rare — fewer than 1 percent of respondents said their institution had one — 15 percent said students had requested trigger warnings in their courses, and 12 percent said students complained about the absence of such warnings, according to the report from the coalition of more than 50 national nonprofits supporting First Amendment principles.
Students have...complained?!?! Surely the robust tenure system will protect professors from entertaining stupid complaints from students! Oh, wait, higer ed administrators are trying to gut the academy by replacing tenure-track professors with powerless adjuncts? Surely that's not the problem! How could it be the problem if it's not caused by 19-year-old girls?! I mean, really, let's focus on the serious issues here:
That same year, after a debate over sexual assault on campus was scheduled, students at Brown University organized a safe space on campus with counselors, bubbles, Play-Doh and pillows. The space was designed to give students who might find the discussion troubling a place to recuperate, The New York Times reported.
ACADEMIC FREEDOM WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM THIS INSULT
The only thing I really have an issue with is schools not allowing speakers onto their campus.

http://www.thescrippsvoice.com/articles ... s-conflict
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/us/br ... islam.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Sep12.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... -opinions/
http://theprincetontory.com/main/censor ... e-darwish/

Whatever you think of those speakers (and I loathe most of them) it's absolutely insane to me that we've gotten to the point where colleges can't even bring certain speakers on to campus. I graduated before the safe space/trigger warning movements really started, so I have no direct experience with them, but as an outsider looking in it does look like they've gone too far.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:00 pm

I agree, but I think it's a completely different issue that gets conflated with various non-issues in order to form one big strawman.

If a student complains to a professor, the professor should be able to handle it. Handling disagreement is a basic part of free discourse, and is a basic part of an educator's job. So why are student complaints and desires so very threatening to professors that they are threatening to the existence of academic freedom?

The real threat to academic freedom is not students or student complaints. The real threat is money (or the lack thereof). If student complaints can threaten a professor's ability to put food on the table, then students DO have the power to shut down academic discourse. And too many people blame the students for complaining, when that's the student's prerogative. Students are young and might be foolish, that's why they need an education! Of course they will do things that might be unwise, or advocate for things that are unwise, or make complaints that do not reflect their best interests. Really, the problem is when student complaints can lead to a professor being fired. That only happens with the cooperation of the administration. And it happens readily when a professor is a replaceable adjunct with zero job security.

U of C can protect academic freedom without grandstanding about trigger warnings and safe spaces. Grant more professors tenure and give them real financial security. Increase university-provided research funding, so researchers don't rely on external grant funding from ideologically limited granting orgs.

Material security is the real driver of academic freedom. Talking about the concerns and desires of teenagers with a mocking tone is lip service at best. It might even be a dangerous distraction from the real threat to academic freedom---the people who hold the purse strings.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:15 pm

Also, I realize my post was not entirely responsive to yours---but the inclusion of the idea of "trigger warnings" in the letter made it very clear that it was not just intended to discuss the type of academic freedom that results from having a diversity of speakers visiting a given school. Refusing to bar certain speakers from campus, I think, is the appropriate position for an administration to take. It simply has nothing to do with trigger warnings. Conflating trigger warnings with speakers being barred from campus is an indicator that the person doing the conflating is primarily interested in scoring points against a strawman---coddled millenials or whatever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thestruggle

New

Post by thestruggle » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:01 am

do most students go home stay in chicago for winter break or do most go back home right after finals?

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:09 am

thestruggle wrote:do most students go home stay in chicago for winter break or do most go back home right after finals?
90% leave town in my experience

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:
thestruggle wrote:do most students go home stay in chicago for winter break or do most go back home right after finals?
90% leave town in my experience
This sounds about right.

Lawyerman08

New

Post by Lawyerman08 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm signing up for a class where the prof asks for a statement of interest to join the class. I've never done one of these. Does anyone know how long/how substantive prof's expect these statements to be?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Fed Courts with Mortara? It fits into my schedule well and I want to clerk eventually but Mortara is a polarizing figure. How is he as a professor?

Edit: and his evals are positive but have small sample sizes.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:46 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:Fed Courts with Mortara? It fits into my schedule well and I want to clerk eventually but Mortara is a polarizing figure. How is he as a professor?

I took Crim Pro III and Fed Courts with him. He's certainly polarizing, but an excellent professor. Extremely difficult finals. Good mix of law professor and practitioner. Also, if you do well in the class and/or ask smart questions, he will help in the clerkship search.

Mortara probably gets UoC more clerkships than the other professors, combined.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:23 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
daedalus2309 wrote:Fed Courts with Mortara? It fits into my schedule well and I want to clerk eventually but Mortara is a polarizing figure. How is he as a professor?

I took Crim Pro III and Fed Courts with him. He's certainly polarizing, but an excellent professor. Extremely difficult finals. Good mix of law professor and practitioner. Also, if you do well in the class and/or ask smart questions, he will help in the clerkship search.

Thanks. I meant that I'm taking fed courts because from what I hear judges like it. I'm afraid I'm probably too liberal to tap into the Mortara network, but it's good to hear that his class was a good one.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

Thanks. I meant that I'm taking fed courts because from what I hear judges like it. I'm afraid I'm probably too liberal to tap into the Mortara network, but it's good to hear that his class was a good one.
Mortara helps just as many libs as conservatives, so don't be shy about asking. Good luck in the class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 pm

How do/did people like Rappaport? Thinking about taking Evidence.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:09 am

landshoes wrote:How do/did people like Rappaport? Thinking about taking Evidence.
I enjoyed him. His exam was hard, but fair. He's clear, kind, and available for help if you need him. I got the sense most people in our class liked him too.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:21 am

KMart wrote:
landshoes wrote:How do/did people like Rappaport? Thinking about taking Evidence.
I enjoyed him. His exam was hard, but fair. He's clear, kind, and available for help if you need him. I got the sense most people in our class liked him too.
Didn't have him for evidence but +1.

Overall though I'd advise against taking new professors because it tends to be much harder to get old outlines and exams.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:02 am

Ok, thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”