UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CMac86

Bronze

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by CMac86 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:15 pm

btruj777 wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
I appreciate your reply! I do have some Chicago questions. One important question for me is regarding safety. I am a gun carrier and I know that a lot of stores and the CTA do not allow for Guns. My question is, is it even worth owning a gun in Chicago? Is it more of a liability - meaning I accidentally forget I have it on me and go on the L and get caught and get in trouble? Is my house my the only safe place for my gun - it seems this way?

Another questions involves grocery shopping in Hyde park. I am from Miami and being without a car in Miami is impossible. But in Chicago its much more doable. I plan to not have a car in Chicago and plan to live in Hyde park. How easy is it to do groceries in Hyde park? Is there a Whole Foods there or equivalent ?
The gun question is a sticky one. You're correct in that most places (at least that I remember) have the no weapons sign on the door. Illinois also has a Firearm Owners ID system as well as their own concealed carry regulations. I encourage you to read up on Chicago handgun laws before bringing the weapon.

Hyde Park has built up a bit since I left. I remember there being a Treasure Island (grocery store), and then I think a Target and Whole Foods went up as well. Peapod is also an option, albeit pretty expensive. There are corner/neighborhood stores in the area as well. I used to stop at Harper Foods on my way to work to grab a Redbull and protein bar (closer to a 7/11 than a Whole Foods).

Chicago is very public transit friendly, but my biggest gripe about working in Hyde Park is that it was a bit of trip to get anywhere. When work events ended after rush-hour I could count on at least a 15-20min wait for a bus to get me back to the Loop. I don't know if U of C gives out the CTA U-Pass for Law students. There is at least one Metra station near campus as well. That is a separate ticketing system from the L and busses. If you're planning on getting out of Hyde Park, I'd budget at least 20-30mins to get to the Loop, and additional time if you want to explore north of the Loop.

If you want the conveince of a car without having to actually own one, ZipCar has a fairly significant presence in the area. Prior to enlisting, I used ZipCar for short errands across the city.

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:17 pm

airwrecka wrote:Now I'm sure this has been asked before, but to save me the time of going back through nearly 200 pages of this thread to find it, I'd appreciate it if someone answered again :D

What is the general "vibe" among students at UChi? Does there seem to be any common factor (other than academic excellence, obviously) across the school? Are people outgoing and friendly? Extremely competitive? More reserved and serious? Granted, I know it's hard to generalize a large group of people but any insights you can give into the student culture are much appreciated!
I can't really answer that too well. I dated someone who did their undergrad there and then I worked near campus. I remember it being affectionately called "Where Fun Goes to Die".

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:22 pm

airwrecka wrote:Now I'm sure this has been asked before, but to save me the time of going back through nearly 200 pages of this thread to find it, I'd appreciate it if someone answered again :D

What is the general "vibe" among students at UChi? Does there seem to be any common factor (other than academic excellence, obviously) across the school? Are people outgoing and friendly? Extremely competitive? More reserved and serious? Granted, I know it's hard to generalize a large group of people but any insights you can give into the student culture are much appreciated!
I'm not sure there really is a general vibe, to be honest. I mean, the whole "where the fun goes to die" thing refers more specifically to the U of Chicago undergrad experience, I think, and that's a whole different ball of wax. Remember in high school, when all the cliques would sit at different tables in the cafeteria or whatever, and there was always that table of the super geeky kids who wore trench coats and played D&D and shit? Yeah, that's the entire undergrad at U of C.

At the law school, if I were to pick one adjective to describe the student body as a whole, it would actually be "collegial." I mean, after the first set of 1L grades comes back, the gunning falls off precipitously, and people are just kind of cool with each other. I found the mix of people to be kind of like a mix of society as a whole, albeit quite a bit smarter and from a much higher level of privilege overall (although there are enough people with blue collar backgrounds like mine that I definitely found people I could relate to on a deeper level). One thing that really stood out is that, although there are definite ACS and FedSoc presences, and plenty of strong political opinions, students manage to keep it more or less cerebral, and everyone hangs out and gets along.

So, you're right, it's hard to generalize such a big group of people, but if I had to do it, I'd say they're overall pretty down to earth, laid back, and chill, with obvious exceptions.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:06 am

elterrible78 wrote:

I'm not sure there really is a general vibe, to be honest. I mean, the whole "where the fun goes to die" thing refers more specifically to the U of Chicago undergrad experience, I think, and that's a whole different ball of wax. Remember in high school, when all the cliques would sit at different tables in the cafeteria or whatever, and there was always that table of the super geeky kids who wore trench coats and played D&D and shit? Yeah, that's the entire undergrad at U of C.

At the law school, if I were to pick one adjective to describe the student body as a whole, it would actually be "collegial." I mean, after the first set of 1L grades comes back, the gunning falls off precipitously, and people are just kind of cool with each other. I found the mix of people to be kind of like a mix of society as a whole, albeit quite a bit smarter and from a much higher level of privilege overall (although there are enough people with blue collar backgrounds like mine that I definitely found people I could relate to on a deeper level). One thing that really stood out is that, although there are definite ACS and FedSoc presences, and plenty of strong political opinions, students manage to keep it more or less cerebral, and everyone hangs out and gets along.

So, you're right, it's hard to generalize such a big group of people, but if I had to do it, I'd say they're overall pretty down to earth, laid back, and chill, with obvious exceptions.
This is actually really helpful. Thank you!

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm in Corp Lab this quarter and would like to drop it for next quarter. Corp Lab asks you to commit 2 quarters when signing up so I'm a little unsure about navigating the process of not taking it next quarter. Anyone have experience with this/advice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:27 pm

trramic wrote:I'm in Corp Lab this quarter and would like to drop it for next quarter. Corp Lab asks you to commit 2 quarters when signing up so I'm a little unsure about navigating the process of not taking it next quarter. Anyone have experience with this/advice?
I know people who did it, not sure of the details. I imagine you could just make up some reason you can't continue for another quarter; I doubt they're going to want you there if you don't want to be there.

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 am

elterrible78 wrote:
trramic wrote:I'm in Corp Lab this quarter and would like to drop it for next quarter. Corp Lab asks you to commit 2 quarters when signing up so I'm a little unsure about navigating the process of not taking it next quarter. Anyone have experience with this/advice?
I know people who did it, not sure of the details. I imagine you could just make up some reason you can't continue for another quarter; I doubt they're going to want you there if you don't want to be there.
Maybe this is too pessimistic but I'm worried that having the talk w/the professors as to why I am planning to drop the class for next quarter may lead to a lowered grade for this quarter. Valid concern or crazy?

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:31 am

Faced a similar situation and just stuck with it for that exact reason. I regret having done so. One thing to consider is that if you're not happy in the clinic you're probably not their favorite either so sticking around will just double the impact of it on your GPA.

I don't think there's any way to promise you that you won't get dinged a point or two- maybe not consciously but grading for clinics is super subjective so it's kind of an inevitable risk. If you don't like it though, I still think it's worth dropping.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:07 am

UnicornHunter wrote:Faced a similar situation and just stuck with it for that exact reason. I regret having done so. One thing to consider is that if you're not happy in the clinic you're probably not their favorite either so sticking around will just double the impact of it on your GPA.

I don't think there's any way to promise you that you won't get dinged a point or two- maybe not consciously but grading for clinics is super subjective so it's kind of an inevitable risk. If you don't like it though, I still think it's worth dropping.
Seconded. The grading is....the subject of much debate. Your concern is valid, but sticking around may be even worse for your GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:53 am

FUCK the corporate lab.

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks all.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 pm

I agree about the students here being really collegial and friendly. I would also say that it's considered totally normal and acceptable to do your own thing. People are very respectful of each other's choices and interests, even if they're oddball, which is nice. And there's not any kind of "only oddball things are cool" vibe either, there are definitely bro-types and super-corp-law people who also get a lot of love. The professors contribute to the positive atmosphere, they're very friendly and interested in students.

bbridge

New

Post by bbridge » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Are the clinics curved?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:42 pm

bbridge wrote:Are the clinics curved?
yes but i believe to a 179 (someone correct me if that's wrong)

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:17 am

Just mention that you don't like sexual harassment and they'll probably let you out of the class fine.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 pm

KMart wrote:
bbridge wrote:Are the clinics curved?
yes but i believe to a 179 (someone correct me if that's wrong)
I think that the clinic also has to achieve a critical mass of students before the curve is applicable. Even then, the professors maintain a fair amount of discretion. I was in one clinic that curved at 178, and one that did so at 179. Have heard anecdotally that some curve at 180, but I find it hard to believe that UC would allow that.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:09 pm

btruj777 wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
btruj777 wrote:Thank you guys for this!! I appreciate it.

Why does it seem to be the case that a lot of the students move up North after 1L? (In my heart, I hope this is the answer: Well, its because the 1L summer job they get at a big firm allows for this :p, is this true?)
Not a UChi student, but I did work on/near campus for a few years (Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House-across from Booth). Hyde Park is pretty isolated from the Loop and North Side. To get to the Loop (downtown), your options are an Uber/Lyft/Taxi, 20ish min bus ride, timing the Metra schedule, or taking a bus to the L. I was pretty broke when I was working there, so I lived on the opposite end of the city in Rogers Park (Far North Side), right by the Loyola Lakeshore campus since I had a studio that was sub $600/month in a decent part of the neighborhood. It was about 90mins each way assuming that I was traveling during rush hour. If the buses were bunched up or if LSD was messed up, it could hit 2hrs.

If you have any Chicago questions that aren't school related, I can probably answer them. I lived in the city for ten years, went to school in the Loop, and lived in three different neighborhoods.
I appreciate your reply! I do have some Chicago questions. One important question for me is regarding safety. I am a gun carrier and I know that a lot of stores and the CTA do not allow for Guns. My question is, is it even worth owning a gun in Chicago? Is it more of a liability - meaning I accidentally forget I have it on me and go on the L and get caught and get in trouble? Is my house my the only safe place for my gun - it seems this way?

Another questions involves grocery shopping in Hyde park. I am from Miami and being without a car in Miami is impossible. But in Chicago its much more doable. I plan to not have a car in Chicago and plan to live in Hyde park. How easy is it to do groceries in Hyde park? Is there a Whole Foods there or equivalent ?

No need for a car in Chicago. HP has Treasure Island, Hyde Park Produce, and Whole Foods, plus a few smaller shops/Walgreens/CVS, and (depending on season) farmers' markets. All of these places are on the most commonly used bus lines (171 and 172 are free with student ID) and the campus shuttles. This was a big concern for me when I moved to Chicago, but I was always able to find a place within easy walking distance of the stores.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

I have two questions for y'all:

1) How hard is it to find a job in a secondary market outside of the Midwest? I'm thinking of somewhere like San Diego, Phoenix, Atlanta, or Miami. Maybe those are all different, but I'm curious whether UChicago makes sense in any of those scenarios.

2) What are the general numbers ranges an applicant should be within to have a shot at the Ruby? I think I saw 173+/3.9+ somewhere on here in an old thread, but I'm curious whether you have any anecdata to share.

Thanks for doing this, this thread has been really helpful

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:34 pm

HillandHollow wrote:

No need for a car in Chicago. HP has Treasure Island, Hyde Park Produce, and Whole Foods, plus a few smaller shops/Walgreens/CVS, and (depending on season) farmers' markets. All of these places are on the most commonly used bus lines (171 and 172 are free with student ID) and the campus shuttles. This was a big concern for me when I moved to Chicago, but I was always able to find a place within easy walking distance of the stores.
I can't agree any stronger with not needing a car in Chicago. Out of the ten years that I lived there, the first seven I didn't have a car. The only reason I had car the last three is that I was working in a far north suburb with fairly odd hours. If all you are doing is going to school and living in the city, the CTA (L and buses) as well as the Metra are more than adequate.

bbridge

New

Post by bbridge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:12 pm

big_willy_style_333 wrote:I have two questions for y'all:

1) How hard is it to find a job in a secondary market outside of the Midwest? I'm thinking of somewhere like San Diego, Phoenix, Atlanta, or Miami. Maybe those are all different, but I'm curious whether UChicago makes sense in any of those scenarios.

Anecdotally, the UChicago brand carries great weight in secondary markets and it's completely possible to get jobs in those places, especially if you have ties. I know of median-ish people who got jobs at firms in San Diego, Dallas, Philly, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Miami, and New Orleans. Most had at least some reason to be back in those cities, however.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm

2) What are the general numbers ranges an applicant should be within to have a shot at the Ruby? I think I saw 173+/3.9+ somewhere on here in an old thread, but I'm curious whether you have any anecdata to share.

1) It depends on the market. You should be fine, as long as you have ties and mass mail. Do not rely on OCI for obvious reasons.

2) 173+/3.9+ sounds right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Echoing others, you should be fine with any of the markets you list. I have friends going to Atlanta, San Diego, Minneapolis, Chicago, Boston, and DC. I'm sure there are others in the class going to many other (secondary) markets as well. I found it helpful to use the "Who Worked Where" list that the school compiles and talk to 2Ls and 3Ls at firms/in markets that you're interested in. Obviously there's a lot of other things you should be doing too - but it's one source that I found helpful.

Would definitely second the ties and mass mail advice too.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Ok so know that we have our grades (2 whole classes worth...), anybody able to contribute a little more color on what they mean beyond what is says on the school website? Like is it even useful to ask what the distribution is across those letter grades correlated to different numbers?

TheCubsFan

New

Post by TheCubsFan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times in this thread, but how much debt is too much for UChi? How much did you guys take on? And is need-based aid real?

charmonster

New

Post by charmonster » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:04 am

Necho2 wrote:Ok so know that we have our grades (2 whole classes worth...), anybody able to contribute a little more color on what they mean beyond what is says on the school website? Like is it even useful to ask what the distribution is across those letter grades correlated to different numbers?
Honestly, don't read that much into them. They are just a tiny fraction of the grades you will get this year and in your law school career. I know people who booked the rest of law school who had no idea what they were doing fall 1L, and people whose best grades were fall 1L. This doesn't mean that it's all relative, just that your approach moving forward won't be that different either way.

If you did well, that's awesome, but you need to keep it up. What worked out on these exams might not work out on the next set. Remember those who didn't do as well will be trying to improve next time. You need to as well.

If you did poorly, take it as a sign that something isn't going right and fix it. That doesn't necessarily mean coming up with completely different study habits (though it might).

At this point, wherever you are on the curve, you are still learning how to take a law school exam. You need to assess your issue-spotting abilities. Closely compare sample answers with your own and determine what issues you are spotting, what issues you are missing, and why. Pay attention to what you are wasting time and space on relative to the top answers. Talk to the academic mentors.

Sorry to refuse to answer your question, I guess, but all of this is way, way more important than figuring out if you did better than 40 of your classmates or 60 of your classmates.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”