UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tamereth

Bronze

Re: UChi rising 2Ls and 3Ls (!!!) taking Questions

Post by tamereth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 pm

2014 wrote:How did an event co-sponsored by the two biggest organizations + more end up with Boston Market as the food tomorrow? :cry:
What? I hope that's sarcasm. I'm excited about it!

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Do people who are k-jd, undiverse, and without WE ever get anything out of 1L OCI?

Fall quarter grades were both 180+ and so I'm wondering if this means my chances went from zero to slightly-above-zero. Wondering if even that is getting my hopes up too much I guess.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:Do people who are k-jd, undiverse, and without WE ever get anything out of 1L OCI?

Fall quarter grades were both 180+ and so I'm wondering if this means my chances went from zero to slightly-above-zero. Wondering if even that is getting my hopes up too much I guess.
Unlikely, but not impossible.

It is likely that you'll only get 1 interview, and the firm may well be looking to use OCI as a chance to recruit someone who adds to firm diversity. That said, with 2 180+ grades you are most likely in the top 10% (this depends on your exact numbers) so if you interview well you have a better shot than most.

With those grades it might also be worth doing a massive round of mass-mailing and see if anyone bites.

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Ok. I'll go for it I guess! Thanks for your help Emma.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Emma. wrote:
EdgarWinter wrote:Do people who are k-jd, undiverse, and without WE ever get anything out of 1L OCI?

It is likely that you'll only get 1 interview, and the firm may well be looking to use OCI as a chance to recruit someone who adds to firm diversity. That said, with 2 180+ grades you are most likely in the top 10% (this depends on your exact numbers) so if you interview well you have a better shot than most.

With those grades it might also be worth doing a massive round of mass-mailing and see if anyone bites.
On that note, I know it has been a sticking point in quite a few threads, but could anyone have rough idea of percentile breakdowns? Or is it basically just a crapshoot at this point with only two grades?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Emma. wrote:

On that note, I know it has been a sticking point in quite a few threads, but could anyone have rough idea of percentile breakdowns? Or is it basically just a crapshoot at this point with only two grades?
Crapshoot now, mostly a crapshoot later too.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Crapshoot now, mostly a crapshoot later too.
FYI, I just ordered a transcript and they have changed the percentages of the class for honors. 179 is now 22.7% and 180.5 is now 7.2%.

Makes it even harder to gauge where you are at. :?

professorpanda

New

Post by professorpanda » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

ED admit here. I won't be able to make it to the ASW or the Day in the Life program because of personal and professional commitments. Will I missing out on anything significant?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 pm

I posted this earlier, but now that I (surprisingly) got in, want to get other perspectives as well. How does UChi place in NYC? I definitely want NYC biglaw, and while I can imagine Chicago having a better reputation in its home city, the smaller classes and less competition for NY (than say NYU, where most of the students are gunning for NYC) seem favorable as well. Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:10 pm

professorpanda wrote:ED admit here. I won't be able to make it to the ASW or the Day in the Life program because of personal and professional commitments. Will I missing out on anything significant?
Since you're already committed: No.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:14 pm

professorpanda wrote:ED admit here. I won't be able to make it to the ASW or the Day in the Life program because of personal and professional commitments. Will I missing out on anything significant?
Maybe just the chance to meet potential roommates.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 pm

moonman157 wrote:I posted this earlier, but now that I (surprisingly) got in, want to get other perspectives as well. How does UChi place in NYC? I definitely want NYC biglaw, and while I can imagine Chicago having a better reputation in its home city, the smaller classes and less competition for NY (than say NYU, where most of the students are gunning for NYC) seem favorable as well. Thoughts? Thanks so much!
My classmates that wanted NYC seemed to have no problem getting something there. Although many UChi students seem to want to stay in Chicago, NYC is almost viewed as a "safety" if you are trying to get into the Chicago market. It is almost certainly easier to find something in NYC than Chicago.

Our class is very spread out, probably something in the range of (this is very rough) 35% Chicago and surrounds, 20% NYC, 15% CA, 5-10% each for DC and TX, and the remaining 10-15% in smaller markets.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Emma. wrote:
moonman157 wrote:I posted this earlier, but now that I (surprisingly) got in, want to get other perspectives as well. How does UChi place in NYC? I definitely want NYC biglaw, and while I can imagine Chicago having a better reputation in its home city, the smaller classes and less competition for NY (than say NYU, where most of the students are gunning for NYC) seem favorable as well. Thoughts? Thanks so much!
My classmates that wanted NYC seemed to have no problem getting something there. Although many UChi students seem to want to stay in Chicago, NYC is almost viewed as a "safety" if you are trying to get into the Chicago market. It is almost certainly easier to find something in NYC than Chicago.

Our class is very spread out, probably something in the range of (this is very rough) 35% Chicago and surrounds, 20% NYC, 15% CA, 5-10% each for DC and TX, and the remaining 10-15% in smaller markets.
+1 to all of this for the 2Ls (except we don't know our distribution)

We have a lot of 2Ls going to NYC, I don't know of anyone who wanted NYC and didn't get it. There's obviously a self-selection towards Chicago as Emma said, but don't worry about it. PM me if you want more specific info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

professorpanda

New

Post by professorpanda » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 am

Speaking of markets outside of Chicago, how easy has it been for UC students and grads to land jobs and internships in California (LA or SF)? This of course is assuming they have substantial ties to both markets.

Thank you all for fielding our questions!

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 am

professorpanda wrote:Speaking of markets outside of Chicago, how easy has it been for UC students and grads to land jobs and internships in California (LA or SF)? This of course is assuming they have substantial ties to both markets.

Thank you all for fielding our questions!
There's a lot of students that worked/will be working in CA. I don't know of anyone who wanted California but didn't get it.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:23 pm

This isn't an LS related question but I figured I'd ask anyway and hope somebody has some knowledge to offer.

My SO has decided that she wants to be a teacher; she doesn't have any teaching experience though (BS Biology - she wants to teach bio). She's interested in urban education specifically but is willing to go forward with whatever options are available. Does anybody have any knowledge about teaching programs in the Chicago area? She would like to start teaching while getting her degree but neither of us are from Illinois and so we don't really know anything about the process there.

If anybody could PM me about this it would be much appreciated!

holacicas

New

Post by holacicas » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi. I just got accepted RD '16 and I can't wait to visit Chicago!
I'm still waiting for other schools with possible $$, but was wondering if there is any way I could ask them for some funding...
My numbers aren't that great (LSA/GPA both around median) and have a few years of work experience, so realistically I'm not expecting a merit-based funding. However, my family got hit hard by Sandy on Long Island so I'm in a difficult situation to start school this Fall (may even defer matriculation for a year).. Do you guys think that there is any possibility that they could offer even a small amount of funding?

Let me know what you guys think! thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 pm

holacicas wrote:Hi. I just got accepted RD '16 and I can't wait to visit Chicago!
I'm still waiting for other schools with possible $$, but was wondering if there is any way I could ask them for some funding...
My numbers aren't that great (LSA/GPA both around median) and have a few years of work experience, so realistically I'm not expecting a merit-based funding. However, my family got hit hard by Sandy on Long Island so I'm in a difficult situation to start school this Fall (may even defer matriculation for a year).. Do you guys think that there is any possibility that they could offer even a small amount of funding?

Congrats. They will make initial scholarship offers at some point, I think it was like March for us, so wait and see if you get anything then. They are willing to negotiate; they upped my award from zero to 30k after I told them about a competing offer, but that wasn't until late April.

I think you can also apply for need based aid, but that might be a black hole, I don't have much experience.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
holacicas wrote:Hi. I just got accepted RD '16 and I can't wait to visit Chicago!

Congrats. They will make initial scholarship offers at some point, I think it was like March for us, so wait and see if you get anything then. They are willing to negotiate; they upped my award from zero to 30k after I told them about a competing offer, but that wasn't until late April.

I think you can also apply for need based aid, but that might be a black hole, I don't have much experience.
Were you already deposited at that point?

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Were you already deposited at that point?
No.

holacicas

New

Post by holacicas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 am

badaboom61 wrote:

Thanks! but how important is having a competing offer? do i have to have one or is it just one of the many reasons why I might ask for a fund?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 am

holacicas wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Thanks! but how important is having a competing offer? do i have to have one or is it just one of the many reasons why I might ask for a fund?
When I was applying to law school, the scholarships were almost entirely merit-based. You could tell how much someone received by their stats. I don't know if it has changed. Having a competing offer helps a ton in getting them to kick in some money.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm

holacicas wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

I went from $0 to $30k off of the WL with no competing offers. My request was similar to yours sounds like i.e. "I recognize I'm in a bad bargaining position here, but given the choice between attending at full price and waiting a year to earn funds to put myself in a better financial position, I am strongly inclined to wait a year. Please reconsider my (lack of) merit aid offer"

You need to wait until you get theirs and any other schools original offer first though. If you are close to both medians meaning close to 3.9/171, you will have other offers to show them if you appropriately applied broadly.

holacicas

New

Post by holacicas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

2014 wrote:
holacicas wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

I went from $0 to $30k off of the WL with no competing offers. My request was similar to yours sounds like i.e. "I recognize I'm in a bad bargaining position here, but given the choice between attending at full price and waiting a year to earn funds to put myself in a better financial position, I am strongly inclined to wait a year. Please reconsider my (lack of) merit aid offer"

You need to wait until you get theirs and any other schools original offer first though. If you are close to both medians meaning close to 3.9/171, you will have other offers to show them if you appropriately applied broadly.
Thanks! btw is it 30k total for 3yrs or 30k/yr?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

holacicas wrote: Thanks! btw is it 30k total for 3yrs or 30k/yr?
10k/year

You aren't getting 30k/year unless you are at/above both medians imo. Their standard offer is 10k/year on the low end to 25k/year on the high end if i recall correctly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”