UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
landshoes

Silver

Re: UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions

Post by landshoes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Probably. I would insist on them putting something like that in the lease or otherwise in writing, though.

InfinitelyStressed

New

Post by InfinitelyStressed » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 pm

lebongenre wrote:Hey all! Quick questions about Regents: Do the "renovated" units actually look like the photos in the listing below, or are they significantly more run down?

http://www.macapartments.com/unit/Regen ... -N0315-1BR

Eta: Thanks, landshoes! I'll be sure to document everything. MAC already leaves much to be desired...
I went to tour Regents a while back and found a huge difference between the individual units that I saw. Some looked wonderful (as pictured), and others were horribly run down. I'm assuming a renovated unit would be one of the nicer ones, but definitely be cautious - they don't all look like the pictures!

New

Post by 22191313 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Please can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest most ghetto housing that is close enough to get to the school by foot or bike or something?

I'm serious. Don't mind living in Chiraq if the rent is dirt cheap and I can get to the school.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 pm

22191313 wrote:Please can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest most ghetto housing that is close enough to get to the school by foot or bike or something?

I'm serious. Don't mind living in Chiraq if the rent is dirt cheap and I can get to the school.
If you can find a roommate y'all could live here for $425 a month:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Wo ... ?3col=true

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:32 pm

basically look south of the school

but you should seriously look at 1) getting a roommate for 2) grad housing. it's cheap for what you get.

and I get being cheap but you really don't want to live in the shitty parts of the south side, it's genuinely dangerous. not worth it to get jacked for your laptop (with all your notes) and your books and shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:34 pm

also, look for a place with heat included. it's $$$$$

New

Post by 22191313 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. That helps immensely- and good points (about the heat too)

If anyone on here is interested in a roomate feel free to PM me.

I will be posting on the FB page once I put down my deposit.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:28 pm

That is not a very smart decision.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:11 am

skers wrote:That is not a very smart decision.
+1. Love Chicago, but be careful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicago-gunner123

New

Post by chicago-gunner123 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Anyone have an Esptein Land Use outline they are willing to share and/or tips to approach that exam?

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:26 am

22191313 wrote:Please can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest most ghetto housing that is close enough to get to the school by foot or bike or something?

I'm hoping this was just an unfunny joke, especially the "Chiraq" part.

The worst parts of Chicago, some of which are pretty near Hyde Park, are as dangerous as any place in the world. You won't be walking or biking to school from there, and you'll want to move out on Day 1. Follow the advice people have given on where to live for 1L, and Chicago can be great.

Don't try to act tough and don't be dumb

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun May 22, 2016 12:14 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:

I'm hoping this was just an unfunny joke, especially the "Chiraq" part.

The worst parts of Chicago, some of which are pretty near Hyde Park, are as dangerous as any place in the world. You won't be walking or biking to school from there, and you'll want to move out on Day 1. Follow the advice people have given on where to live for 1L, and Chicago can be great.

Don't try to act tough and don't be dumb
:? :roll:

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun May 22, 2016 8:28 pm

also they already said thanks for the advice so I'm assuming they are not going to move to gresham or something. it's ok everyone

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Mon May 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Any tips for not failing Helmholz? I only have a few days to commit to Property so could use advice on prioritizing/ what to look at.

bill_swerski

New

Post by bill_swerski » Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 pm

trramic wrote:Any tips for not failing Helmholz? I only have a few days to commit to Property so could use advice on prioritizing/ what to look at.
Read Moynihan and Understanding Property by Sprankling (two supplements). I'm not sure how he is structuring the exam; last year he trolled us with a multiple choice section that had ridiculous questions (there really was no way to be prepared for it).

The concepts for property aren't very difficult to grasp. You just need the right book to explain it to you (e.g. Moynihan/Sprankling).

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Mon May 30, 2016 10:22 pm

bill_swerski wrote:
trramic wrote:Any tips for not failing Helmholz? I only have a few days to commit to Property so could use advice on prioritizing/ what to look at.
Read Moynihan and Understanding Property by Sprankling (two supplements). I'm not sure how he is structuring the exam; last year he trolled us with a multiple choice section that had ridiculous questions (there really was no way to be prepared for it).

The concepts for property aren't very difficult to grasp. You just need the right book to explain it to you (e.g. Moynihan/Sprankling).
Thanks -- I'll look at those. He let us know there will be MC section this year as well (closed book as I'm assuming it was for you too) and told us he aims to make them "impossible" so I've already given up on that part anyway.

RecoveringJD

New

Post by RecoveringJD » Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm

If you take the usual approach (write a shit ton of words and hope something sticks), he will shave points off. Be succinct, answer the question/prompt, and more so here than any other class, don't write more than you have to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Do you know when we might expect to get our grades? Has it historically been a quick turnaround after finals, or is it more like a month?

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 pm

landshoes wrote:Do you know when we might expect to get our grades? Has it historically been a quick turnaround after finals, or is it more like a month?
I'm also curious to hear.

Just to save time for 1L's who are checking in on this thread, the due date for non-paper, non-graduating grades is Monday June 20th this year. Who knows how soon after that, or whether or elective grades come in first.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:49 pm

landshoes wrote:Do you know when we might expect to get our grades? Has it historically been a quick turnaround after finals, or is it more like a month?
My 1L year (2013):

Bigelow: 6/14
Elective: 7/9
All other classes: 7/11

eliminatorjr

Bronze

Post by eliminatorjr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:58 am

WheninLaw wrote:
My 1L year (2013):

Bigelow: 6/14
Elective: 7/9
All other classes: 7/11
That's very specific. Good work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InfinitelyStressed

New

Post by InfinitelyStressed » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:04 am

Any input on Glass Menagerie photos from current students? If I have one professional looking photo and one a little more casual, which should I go with? I want employers to take me seriously, but I also don't want to have classmates and professors think that I'm overdoing it. Opinions/any regrets? What do most people use?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:36 am

InfinitelyStressed wrote:Any input on Glass Menagerie photos from current students? If I have one professional looking photo and one a little more casual, which should I go with? I want employers to take me seriously, but I also don't want to have classmates and professors think that I'm overdoing it. Opinions/any regrets? What do most people use?
People do it both ways. But my thought is that this is your first impression with potential employers and classmates. I've seen people shunned for an unprofessional glass menagerie photo. I'd get one that's headshot quality. PM for a photographer's number. He'll do them for only a few hundred dollars.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 am

InfinitelyStressed wrote:Any input on Glass Menagerie photos from current students? If I have one professional looking photo and one a little more casual, which should I go with? I want employers to take me seriously, but I also don't want to have classmates and professors think that I'm overdoing it. Opinions/any regrets? What do most people use?
I think the person above is not being entirely serious. I would go with the professional one, but it doesn't matter unless it displays truly egregious judgement.

If someone legitimately thinks less of you because your picture is too nice, they are ridiculous, and I have never heard of that happening. Mostly, people say that a photo is nice or comment that someone has a different haircut or something like that.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:36 pm

InfinitelyStressed wrote:I also don't want to have classmates and professors think that I'm overdoing it.
I haven't even looked at mine once and I can't see why any professor would care.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”