UChi Students & Alumni Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
elterrible78

Silver

Re: UChi Current Students Taking Questions

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Neal Patrick Harris wrote:People overreact to Chicago weather. Wearing hoodies under a pea coat is just fine. This is especially true if you're just walking 15 steps to the 172 and another 30 into the law school.
While I'm not debating that this might be true in a general sense, there is almost no way to exaggerate how bad last winter sucked. And this is coming from someone who has dealt with many harsh northern New England winters.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:36 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Neal Patrick Harris wrote:People overreact to Chicago weather. Wearing hoodies under a pea coat is just fine. This is especially true if you're just walking 15 steps to the 172 and another 30 into the law school.
While I'm not debating that this might be true in a general sense, there is almost no way to exaggerate how bad last winter sucked. And this is coming from someone who has dealt with many harsh northern New England winters.
There was frozen ice on the inside of my apartment windows, and at times the windchill reached -55. I've lived in Chicago all my life but last winter was pretty damn brutal.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Anyone got any recommendations for Strauss's elements class? Any supplements or recommended readings?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:08 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for Strauss's elements class? Any supplements or recommended readings?
My outline for his Elements class was literally three pages long, and I don't think I looked at it once for the exam. One of the great things about Elements with him is that you really only discuss four major themes (or at least that's all we discussed), and you just beat them to death in class, so you should have them down pretty well by the time it's over. I'm happy to send you my outline if you PM me, and if you come up with something like that and do a couple practice exams you should be good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Sorry to be the one asking all the questions here, but I cant help it.

If one's interest is to end up in a top full service firm in NY or Chicago, for something like M&A, what should be their priorities in terms 1L summer positions?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:29 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Sorry to be the one asking all the questions here, but I cant help it.

If one's interest is to end up in a top full service firm in NY or Chicago, for something like M&A, what should be their priorities in terms 1L summer positions?
1L summer position really doesn't matter. The people who ended up in those positions did literally everything.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:40 pm

I agree that it really doesn't matter much what you do.

However, I will add that if you can find something like an in house position, or a government job that does some transactional work, it will help come interview time. While it will be far from determinative (meaning it probably won't get you or lose you the job), it might give you some insight into how to structure your answers and how to indicate your interest in M&A. I was in a job that did NOT do transactional work, but I emphasized the parts of my job that were like M&A work. So I said that I worked on drafting policies/reviewing contracts, got feedback from practice area-specific attorneys and incorporated that into governing documents, and that my office operated on tight deadlines that ramped up which was really exciting!!, etc.

That doesn't mean that if you worked for a judge or something 1L that you are in any way disadvantaged, but if you don't have a lot of work experience in finance or M&A, there is no reason why you shouldn't focus your 1L search towards areas which might be similar to that field. If you end up in a litigation job 1L don't worry. Just talk to some M&A attorneys over the summer and ask about their job and why they like it. Also nicely emphasize that you enjoyed litigation but your background and personality are much more suited to transactional.

But don't stress out too much about it right now. Maybe check out the who worked where list over fall break or something. Or don't. Just try to relax about 1L.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 pm

skers wrote:
1L summer position really doesn't matter. The people who ended up in those positions did literally everything.
i wouldn't be this broad... i think spending my 1L summer doing something very public-interesty hurt me a little bit when interviewing with private firms. they often viewed me on the other side of the issues and asked about it. (my job was environment-protection related, fwiw)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 pm

courtneylove wrote:
skers wrote:
i wouldn't be this broad... i think spending my 1L summer doing something very public-interesty hurt me a little bit when interviewing with private firms. they often viewed me on the other side of the issues and asked about it. (my job was environment-protection related, fwiw)
That can only hurt you if you put literally 0 thought into your answer to that completely predictable question.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I agree that it really doesn't matter much what you do.

However, I will add that if you can find something like an in house position, or a government job that does some transactional work, it will help come interview time. While it will be far from determinative (meaning it probably won't get you or lose you the job), it might give you some insight into how to structure your answers and how to indicate your interest in M&A. I was in a job that did NOT do transactional work, but I emphasized the parts of my job that were like M&A work. So I said that I worked on drafting policies/reviewing contracts, got feedback from practice area-specific attorneys and incorporated that into governing documents, and that my office operated on tight deadlines that ramped up which was really exciting!!, etc.

That doesn't mean that if you worked for a judge or something 1L that you are in any way disadvantaged, but if you don't have a lot of work experience in finance or M&A, there is no reason why you shouldn't focus your 1L search towards areas which might be similar to that field. If you end up in a litigation job 1L don't worry. Just talk to some M&A attorneys over the summer and ask about their job and why they like it. Also nicely emphasize that you enjoyed litigation but your background and personality are much more suited to transactional.

But don't stress out too much about it right now. Maybe check out the who worked where list over fall break or something. Or don't. Just try to relax about 1L.
Yeah, I don't really disagree at all with what Mal's saying here. I don't think you really need to worry about this shit much until before OCI. I ended up doing M&A work over my 1L summer at a place I never would have thought I'd be doing that, so it's hard to predict. And no matter where you go/what you do, you can spin the skills to fit deal work.

All that said, most firms hire you with pretty loose practice area expectations. Selling M&A hard can be useful since it shows you've thought about the process and can put a good interview narrative together, but it's necessarily going to make or break you if that's what you want to do. There's going to be some incredulity of any law student who wants to do transactional work, unless you've worked in finance. Some interviewers think law students sell corporate because they think it's easier to get a job that way, so you get grilled. I had a partner halfway through the summer ask a group of us how the fuck we knew we wanted to do corporate.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

If you don't have any relevant work experience it makes more sense to sell yourself primarily as interested in lit, since 1L and most 1L summer positions prepare you very well to do that. Get the offer.

You won't express your interest in a practice group anywhere formally until months after the offer. At this time, if you're interested in corporate, let them know.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:11 am

badaboom61 wrote:If you don't have any relevant work experience it makes more sense to sell yourself primarily as interested in lit, since 1L and most 1L summer positions prepare you very well to do that. Get the offer.

You won't express your interest in a practice group anywhere formally until months after the offer. At this time, if you're interested in corporate, let them know.
Disagree with this strongly. But 1Ls shouldn't be worrying about this rn so I'll only say that this is misleading and not true. So not to worry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:57 am

badaboom61 wrote:If you don't have any relevant work experience it makes more sense to sell yourself primarily as interested in lit, since 1L and most 1L summer positions prepare you very well to do that. Get the offer.

No.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Again, a lot of this shit doesn't matter to 1Ls since you should be enjoying your lives as much as possible right now. But just to be clear, yeah, this is bad advice. You should interview based on what you want to do, not with a weird long con strategy of switching from lit to corp. No matter how soft your background is w/o relevant shit, you can create a good transactional interview narrative. W/ the badaboom long con you miss out on practice group specific info and connections, which are actually really helpful for that whole career thing you're trying to build through the process.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 pm

skers wrote:
lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Sorry to be the one asking all the questions here, but I cant help it.

+1

I worked in-house my 1L summer but i don't think it really mattered other than being able to say "i drafted/reviewed agreements and it was tolerable"

Personally i think litigation is the more competitive route.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 pm

1Ls thinking about corporate should read this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=238405

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 am

When do people start looking for summer sublets? Got some friends from WUSTL that are summering in Chicago and need housing for the summer

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:28 pm

cusenation wrote:When do people start looking for summer sublets? Got some friends from WUSTL that are summering in Chicago and need housing for the summer
I got HP housing.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:17 pm

cusenation wrote:When do people start looking for summer sublets? Got some friends from WUSTL that are summering in Chicago and need housing for the summer
I got south loop housing.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:03 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
That can only hurt you if you put literally 0 thought into your answer to that completely predictable question.
oh really...how about when you do prepare but they don't believe you? recruiters have no idea ocs preps us for screeners, right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Like February at the earliest

eliminatorjr

Bronze

Post by eliminatorjr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

So like, where should I be at this point in the quarter in terms of preparing for finals?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 pm

eliminatorjr wrote:So like, where should I be at this point in the quarter in terms of preparing for finals?
Not.

eliminatorjr

Bronze

Post by eliminatorjr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:07 pm

skers wrote:
eliminatorjr wrote:So like, where should I be at this point in the quarter in terms of preparing for finals?
Not.
That's what I like to hear.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”