Hastings First year thoughts...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Borhas

Re: Hastings First year thoughts...

Postby Borhas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Borhas wrote:I know the fella, it's safe to say he's a pretty mature person (and he is actually a doctor btw). His replies are likely intended to reciprocate the douchey responses early on in the thread.

When you say things like Hastings >>> Stanford & Boalt and consider a chip on one's shoulder to be a good thing, you ask for it. Posting strings of gibberish is a far from effective retaliation.

"asking for it"

"it" in the lounge would be ok as far as the responses
"it" in the on topic forums should be "hey, what do you mean by that?" or "hey, can you support your claim" etc...

whatever, no big deal either way, just wanted to contextualize

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Silliness aside, I'm curious about the rankings of all of the UCs for next year. The crappy market combined with UC budget mess seems like it'll make for a big drop.

In other news, my firm laid off four people today. Happy new year, right?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 pm

As someone who is admitted to Hastings and is seriously considering it pending other WL/Dings I may receive in the next month, I was really hoping this would be a productive thread. Oh well. ;(

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:As someone who is admitted to Hastings and is seriously considering it pending other WL/Dings I may receive in the next month, I was really hoping this would be a productive thread. Oh well. ;(

Aggie, one of my friends is at Hastings now. I think she is enjoying it, but it sounded like she did not have a lot of free time.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:As someone who is admitted to Hastings and is seriously considering it pending other WL/Dings I may receive in the next month, I was really hoping this would be a productive thread. Oh well. ;(

Aggie, one of my friends is at Hastings now. I think she is enjoying it, but it sounded like she did not have a lot of free time.

Meh, not a lot of free time is par for the course for me in my undergrad. Meeting with EC committees, water polo, honors thesis, etc, I love being busy. I basically spend 12 hours a day outside of my house and I'm never happier, whether it's the library or the pool *shrug*. I am going into 1L fully expecting to spend a lot of hours studying. Won't be any change for me... LOL :D

My biggest concern, honestly, is housing. I am guessing we'll sell one of our cars (paid for) and hubby will keep his for his school that he has to drive for constantly. But beyond that, I've never really done BART/Muni-like systems before, and I've never really lived where I couldn't bike to school or drive. Relying on public trans to get somewhere on time is an anxiety-provoking feeling - I like being in charge of my own punctuality, not someone else.

I'm sure your friend's given you a lot of tips as far as looking at housing. Think you could share? Any pet-friendly places within BART-range? I don't think I want to live in The City proper.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Meh, not a lot of free time is par for the course for me in my undergrad. Meeting with EC committees, water polo, honors thesis, etc, I love being busy. I basically spend 12 hours a day outside of my house and I'm never happier, whether it's the library or the pool *shrug*. I am going into 1L fully expecting to spend a lot of hours studying. Won't be any change for me... LOL :D

My biggest concern, honestly, is housing. I am guessing we'll sell one of our cars (paid for) and hubby will keep his for his school that he has to drive for constantly. But beyond that, I've never really done BART/Muni-like systems before, and I've never really lived where I couldn't bike to school or drive. Relying on public trans to get somewhere on time is an anxiety-provoking feeling - I like being in charge of my own punctuality, not someone else.

I'm sure your friend's given you a lot of tips as far as looking at housing. Think you could share? Any pet-friendly places within BART-range? I don't think I want to live in The City proper.

I will chime in since I business travel to SF every few months. You will learn to LOVE the BART and Muni. I never rent a car when going to SF because of how easy it is to get around. Some great places to live are west, say around Sunset, Haight-Ashbury, UCSF area. Great location to the Muni/BART and very cool places to shop, drink, eat, etc. I don't think you are going to find anything cheap. I have a friend who lives in Fremont, but that is a 45 minute BART ride into the city (bleh).
you could also check out
http://www.sublet.com/
Landlords have to keep certain districts low due to pre-exisiting contracts/homeowners agreements.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:13 pm

An old SF snob checking in here to quickly say that the Sunset, Haight and UCSF (inner sunset) all suck. Too much fog, too far away and you don't save enough $ to make it worth it IMO. Check out the mission for sun, affordable housing and good fun.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 pm

johndhi wrote:An old SF snob checking in here to quickly say that the Sunset, Haight and UCSF (inner sunset) all suck. Too much fog, too far away and you don't save enough $ to make it worth it IMO. Check out the mission for sun, affordable housing and good fun.

thanks for the tip

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:23 pm

A few things:

First, calling the Mission "affordable housing" has got to be a joke. With that out of the way:

I work with several recent Hastings grads. They are awesome. The school, from what we've discussed, has a larger contingent of frat boys than Boalt, but also has a good, solid crew of the down to earth, fun loving types. The education seems more clinically focused and they have larger course offerings when it comes to figuring out how to be a trial lawyer (several sections of crim trial practice per semester as opposed to the one section limited to 16 people here at Boalt).

It seems to me like Hastings gets a bad rap. They're definitely more grades focused than Boalt students I've met, but I figure most law students are more open about that than Boalt students.

Because I'm interested in a crim career, I've also noticed that Hastings grads do very well in the Bay Area when it comes to crim placements during and after school.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:A few things:

First, calling the Mission "affordable housing" has got to be a joke. With that out of the way:

I work with several recent Hastings grads. They are awesome. The school, from what we've discussed, has a larger contingent of frat boys than Boalt, but also has a good, solid crew of the down to earth, fun loving types. The education seems more clinically focused and they have larger course offerings when it comes to figuring out how to be a trial lawyer (several sections of crim trial practice per semester as opposed to the one section limited to 16 people here at Boalt).

It seems to me like Hastings gets a bad rap. They're definitely more grades focused than Boalt students I've met, but I figure most law students are more open about that than Boalt students.

Because I'm interested in a crim career, I've also noticed that Hastings grads do very well in the Bay Area when it comes to crim placements during and after school.

and THIS my friends is why Bilbo is so revered on here. Givin' it to us with a solid smack

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Just got my accptence letter from Hastings today . . . too bad Boalt has stolen my heart :arrow:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:My biggest concern, honestly, is housing.

bigger than debt? job placement?

After last year's OCI debacle, I no longer think Hastings is a good value at sticker. It's an otherwise great school, but OCI placement needs to be at 25-30% to justify the $40k price tag.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 pm

General Tso wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:My biggest concern, honestly, is housing.

After last year's OCI debacle, I no longer think Hastings is a good value at sticker. It's an otherwise great school, but OCI placement needs to be at 25-30% to justify the $40k price tag.

And based on a quick perusal of LSN, it don't look like their too generous with money either . . .

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:And based on a quick perusal of LSN, it don't look like their too generous with money either . . .

They give 8-12k grants per year to 2/3 of the class, but very few students get merit aid. I mean it's basically a private school now, less than 10% of the funding comes from the state. Eventually they are going to have to start competing with CA private schools when it comes to merit aid. USD and Loyola are killing Hastings in this regard...if I had things to do over, that's where I'd be.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Debt will be handled with large personal savings and intelligent decisions my husband and I have made for the last several years as well as the Chapter 33 MGIB benefits for both of us, the relative debt will not be as grave as other folks. We're not just fresh out of undergrad. The OCI numbers are dismal, but at this juncture, I am OK with the decision. Naturally I'd prefer to attend a school at which I received large $$$, but that would be McGeorge, and something tells me their OCI numbers are even worse (if existing at all??)

After last year's OCI debacle, I no longer think Hastings is a good value at sticker. It's an otherwise great school but OCI placement needs to be at 25-30% to justify the $40k price tag.

The bolded is what matters most to me.

So, spare me the lecture on OCI please, and instead, can you suggest some adequate married living housing in a BART-able area around Hastings? :D I'd appreciate your input as you are a current student and likely have a much better grasp on housing than anyone else would.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah, if you make $350,000 a year, a 4k/month apt seems like a great deal... LOL :D

Great information, thanks!!

How about suggestions on affordable (for the bay) living (married w/ dog)
?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:43 pm

You should check out the East Bay. Berkeley is much more affordable than SF and has plenty of relatively cheap student housing. I lived in Dublin/Pleasanton last year and in Fremont this year. With roommates I pay about $420 per month on rent (plus probably ~150 on my share of utilities) plus about $200 per month on BART fare. I figure I save about 300-400 per month vs. living in the tower. To live elsewhere in SF is more expensive than the tower.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:can you suggest some adequate married living housing in a BART-able area around Hastings? :D I'd appreciate your input as you are a current student and likely have a much better grasp on housing than anyone else would.

Check out Peninsula cities too. Daly City, Burlingame, Redwood City, etc. all have decent to very nice sections and are near Bart or Caltrain stops. Rent might be a little more than the East Bay, but the quality of life might be better too, depending on where you are. If you absolutely can't find anything otherwise, a 1BR in the Tower might be a viable arrangement. As GT said, it'd be the cheapest & most convenient option for you in the city. I don't think you could find anything much cheaper in a decent area around the Bay Area anyway, inc. East Bay and Peninsula. Students tend not to live in the Tower because they didn't apply in time, just don't want to be so near school, are willing to share an apt off campus with more roommates than the Tower would allow, or don't like the area.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:33 pm

She can't live in the Tower with a dog though. I would have considered the Tower, but I too have a dog. Plus having a husband in the Tower might be kinda weird. I think she is looking for more of a family zone.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:35 pm

General Tso wrote:She can't live in the Tower with a dog though. I would have considered the Tower, but I too have a dog. Plus having a husband in the Tower might be kinda weird. I think she is looking for more of a family zone.

Ah, my bad. Didn't know she had a dog.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:30 am

Hey all, and thanks for the replies.

I'll check out Daly City and Burlingame tomorrow and see if I can find anything in my price range.

Much appreciated!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 am

General Tso wrote:You should check out the East Bay. Berkeley is much more affordable than SF and has plenty of relatively cheap student housing. I lived in Dublin/Pleasanton last year and in Fremont this year. With roommates I pay about $420 per month on rent (plus probably ~150 on my share of utilities) plus about $200 per month on BART fare. I figure I save about 300-400 per month vs. living in the tower. To live elsewhere in SF is more expensive than the tower.

Do you find Fremont to be too long of a commute to class? Approximately how long does it take to go from Fremont to class?

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
General Tso wrote:You should check out the East Bay. Berkeley is much more affordable than SF and has plenty of relatively cheap student housing. I lived in Dublin/Pleasanton last year and in Fremont this year. With roommates I pay about $420 per month on rent (plus probably ~150 on my share of utilities) plus about $200 per month on BART fare. I figure I save about 300-400 per month vs. living in the tower. To live elsewhere in SF is more expensive than the tower.

Do you find Fremont to be too long of a commute to class? Approximately how long does it take to go from Fremont to class?

Gross. First that guy telling me I was wrong about being able to find cheap housing in the mission (he was wrong), and now people considering living in Fremont, aka San Jose, to commute to the tenderloin as a 1L? I just had this conversation today: don't take your information from one person on the internet; if you do, at least consider both viewpoints. Here's mine: with friends, connections and a good resume one can find affordable housing in SF. When "one" becomes a couple with cats and little kids, I can begin understanding Daly City; until then, try Craigslist.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:49 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

So, spare me the lecture on OCI please, and instead, can you suggest some adequate married living housing in a BART-able area around Hastings? :D I'd appreciate your input as you are a current student and likely have a much better grasp on housing than anyone else would.

Whoops, I'm wrong/a jerk - you are actually married and, if I'm reading correctly, have a dog. Try the outer sunset. Then try Glen Park. Then try Excelsior. You could also try something like South San Francisco.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:17 am

Whoops, I'm wrong/a jerk - you are actually married and, if I'm reading correctly, have a dog. Try the outer sunset. Then try Glen Park. Then try Excelsior. You could also try something like South San Francisco.

Yeah, I am married, and I do have a dog, albeit a small one (13 lbs).

I'll also check those places out. I'm obviously not considering roommates so whatever we get, we'll basically be paying for ourselves, and I'd love something cheaper than the insane rent we pay in Davis currently.

I am not just taking advice from one person :D I'm taking advice from you, GT, and numerous other people *and* F&F. Once there are some good possibilities laid out and narrowed down to 4 or 5, we are going to do trial runs to see how long it'll take to get from each place more or less. I don't really go into anything unprepared but I am a bit flummoxed as to where to start, hence asking around here. I've found that getting information from people that have BTDT is the best resource. =]

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”