Hastings First year thoughts... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Re: Hastings First year thoughts...

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Anyone care to counter-point that joyous message?

LilMonsterAnnie

Bronze

Post by LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Anyone care to counter-point that joyous message?
I see Santa arrived early for 2011

how else to respond?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

The 2010 grads I know estimate about 50% of people have jobs at this point. 20% failed the bar. There are people in the top 10% that don't have jobs, but most of those people suck as people.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

LilMonsterAnnie wrote:
I see Santa arrived early for 2011

how else to respond?
I dunno... but that bugs me...

I really hope UW just sent me an acceptance letter and not a ding.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:53 pm

the bathrooms, elevators work fine, 3rd and 4th floors of the main building weren't shut down

want better job prospects than Hastings in CA? Go to UCLA Berkeley or Stanford

all in all, the guy seems like a half empty sort of fella, glad he's transferring, hopefully he'll be happier elsewhere
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 pm

I was mostly concerned with the bathrooms & 3rd and 4th floor type stuff.

Thanks for replying with a counter-point. It did seem like hyperbole, which is why I wanted someone else to chime in on those particular allegations.

Obviously it doesn't have a sprawling campus, but neither does NYU or BU and they're doing fine.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Of course someone was shot outside of your door. You're in the Tenderloin.

LilMonsterAnnie

Bronze

Post by LilMonsterAnnie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:17 am

bilbobaggins wrote:The 2010 grads I know estimate about 50% of people have jobs at this point. 20% failed the bar. There are people in the top 10% that don't have jobs, but most of those people suck as people.

Bilbo...keepin' it real

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 am

50% is actually a pretty good number I'd say

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Damn this is depressing. I seriously though about going to Hastings when I applied and got accepted last year. Glad I retook.

usuallyjustlurks

New

Post by usuallyjustlurks » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:09 pm

50% doesn't sound that bad (especially in January). The location of the campus seems to both explain and compensate for any ugliness. People get shot everywhere. Crackheads have always loved libraries. Rankings fluctuate. There are rumors of tuition hikes at every program I'm looking at.

There are a few unhappy people in every program and placing that much stock in one person's opinion seems an unwise choice for such a big decision. The post doesn't discourage me from considering Hastings and I hope other 0L's agree. Just because it wasn't a good decision for he/she to go, doesn't mean it's not a good decision for you or me. Just my two cents.

LilMonsterAnnie

Bronze

Post by LilMonsterAnnie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm

usuallyjustlurks wrote:50% doesn't sound that bad (especially in January). The location of the campus seems to both explain and compensate for any ugliness. People get shot everywhere. Crackheads have always loved libraries. Rankings fluctuate. There are rumors of tuition hikes at every program I'm looking at.

There are a few unhappy people in every program and placing that much stock in one person's opinion seems an unwise choice for such a big decision. The post doesn't discourage me from considering Hastings and I hope other 0L's agree. Just because it wasn't a good decision for he/she to go, doesn't mean it's not a good decision for you or me. Just my two cents.
+1

I visited and really enjoyed speaking with the Dean and a professor, great guys. I could care less about the Tenderloin...the major courthouses are literally 2 blocks away. It is also on a major transportation line, located in one of the most amazing cities in the world. I feel bad for "Bad Santa"...I just hope he/she transfers out and finds the fit that works for them.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 pm

guys, do you really think jbenthem is a 1L?? only 1 post...he's just anti-Hastings trolling right now...probably an alt

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:15 pm

On the downside, some of the rumors about the atmosphere at Hastings are true. While the peeps I know are awesome, they have been candid about the fact that people do tear pages out of books, steal notes, etc.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Gotti wrote:guys, do you really think jbenthem is a 1L?? only 1 post...he's just anti-Hastings trolling right now...probably an alt
yeah...they knew the elevators were broken a few days ago. I agree with some of their points, but they were a little harsh. Complaining about bathrooms? They are cleaned every day.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:On the downside, some of the rumors about the atmosphere at Hastings are true. While the peeps I know are awesome, they have been candid about the fact that people do tear pages out of books, steal notes, etc.
yeah man, I went to the library yesterday looking to copy some pages out of a 1966 law review article AND SOME BASTER DONE RIPPED OUT DEM PAGES.

either your friends gave you inaccurate info or you are just straight up trolling now

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:57 pm

General Tso wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:On the downside, some of the rumors about the atmosphere at Hastings are true. While the peeps I know are awesome, they have been candid about the fact that people do tear pages out of books, steal notes, etc.
yeah man, I went to the library yesterday looking to copy some pages out of a 1966 law review article AND SOME BASTER DONE RIPPED OUT DEM PAGES.

either your friends gave you inaccurate info or you are just straight up trolling now
Or...aside from that false dichotomy...my friends had a different law school experience than you did. Shocking, I know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
General Tso wrote:

Or...aside from that false dichotomy...my friends had a different law school experience than you did. Shocking, I know.
You're right. I'll ask the reference desk about book vandalism on Monday.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
General Tso wrote:

except atmosphere is typically a word we use to describe something everyone experiences
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:31 am

bilbobaggins wrote:Or...aside from that false dichotomy...my friends had a different law school experience than you did. Shocking, I know.
Yes let's trust your second-hand information over the experiences of those of us who actually go to the school. Okay, then.

I don't even know what the point of tearing pages out of books would be. You might prevent others from doing well on their first memo, which doesn't even count toward their (non-GPA) LWR grade. Horror!

Also, to random troll dude from the previous page, you do realize that there are classrooms on the third floor, which have been in use all year, right? I know it's a real travesty that the school closed down one small study area so that an entire floor of the building could be improved, but if you're going to throw a tantrum about it you could at least get your facts straight.

Sincerely,
Happy, Employed 2L with Many Employed Friends

P.S. Next time you see a crackhead in the library, please let this thread know, because I never get to see anything that interesting in the library.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:28 am

my head hurts trying to figure out if i want to go to hastings or retake the lsat and reapply next cycle.

my parents live in millbrae, and the option to go back and live at home is horrifyingly available. it's great and really, really bad at the same time. would living in the tower be better? i don't know.

debt really isn't a huge issue to me; i have none now, and i shouldn't be in an unmanageable amount of debt in the future. i'm just worried about job prospects at this point.

current students: can anyone chime in on the living situation at the tower? also, if any of you were in my situation, knowing what you know of hastings now, would you attend considering its cost is not a huge factor, and getting a high enough score (to change my prospects as an applicant) on the lsat in a retake was a 50/50 proposition?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:32 pm

I don't really have an interest in embellishing what I've been told by Hastings grads about Hastings. It's hard to think why they would have an interest in that, either. As I said, it's a big enough school that different people will have different experiences. The point isn't to trash the school, it's to paint an accurate picture based on many different experiences.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Lasers wrote: current students: can anyone chime in on the living situation at the tower? also, if any of you were in my situation, knowing what you know of hastings now, would you attend considering its cost is not a huge factor, and getting a high enough score (to change my prospects as an applicant) on the lsat in a retake was a 50/50 proposition?
if moneys no object then retake, throw down the deposit anyway any if your score is good enough then withdraw and eat the deposit, if its not then continue forward.

Though I'm not sure when the June LSAT scores come out, if its after the time school starts then obviously this plan sucks
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Borhas wrote:
Lasers wrote: current students: can anyone chime in on the living situation at the tower? also, if any of you were in my situation, knowing what you know of hastings now, would you attend considering its cost is not a huge factor, and getting a high enough score (to change my prospects as an applicant) on the lsat in a retake was a 50/50 proposition?
if moneys no object then retake, throw down the deposit anyway any if your score is good enough then withdraw and eat the deposit, if its not then continue forward.

Though I'm not sure when the June LSAT scores come out, if its after the time school starts then obviously this plan sucks
hmm, an interesting plan i had not thought of!

the june lsat is june 27th, and scores are avaliable july 16th, which is far ahead of school starting. this plan, theoretically, would work.

additionally, from today, that would give me roughly five months of studying, which is almost 2 months more than i had when i took it the first time. i may indeed do this.

thanks for the idea. :D

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 pm

This is the second time I've heard this about Hastings. WTF is up? Is tearing pages out of books and stealing notes really going to make a difference in grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”