Hastings First year thoughts...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MD/JD2B

Hastings First year thoughts...

Postby MD/JD2B » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Finals are coming up in 3 days. We've had plenty of time to study and the three finals are about 6-7 days apart. We have a very social student body and apt to go partying at every turn; this is supported by the University and the faculty, who are frequently participants. Students don't seem to be stressed, but I'm the wrong person to comment on that, since I'm not your traditional student. My concerns about the school center around how it is run; it is my hope the new dean will do things which were not being done (like paying attentiion to fundraising, and having a more of a open door policy for the students). We have no obmbudsman, anad it is unclear who you would talk to in case of a peronal or academic emergency. Educationally, you will outshine the top ranked schools, because you have a chip on your shoulder about Stanford and Boalt; we have the faculty and student body which can rival any other. So, if you're thinking of the Bay Area, Hastings is a great bet (put your USNWR aside; it ain't real life in so many ways). I'm sure I'll get flack about that but, opinions are opinions. It is likely that I'm in a minority jurisdiction, but take it for what it's worth.

stonepeep

Re: Hastings First year thoughts...

Postby stonepeep » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:it is unclear who you would talk to in case of a peronal or academic emergency.

The Academic Dean's office.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:04 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Finals are coming up in 3 days. We've had plenty of time to study and the three finals are about 6-7 days apart. We have a very social student body and apt to go partying at every turn; this is supported by the University and the faculty, who are frequently participants. Students don't seem to be stressed, but I'm the wrong person to comment on that, since I'm not your traditional student. My concerns about the school center around how it is run; it is my hope the new dean will do things which were not being done (like paying attentiion to fundraising, and having a more of a open door policy for the students). We have no obmbudsman, anad it is unclear who you would talk to in case of a peronal or academic emergency. Educationally, you will outshine the top ranked schools, because you have a chip on your shoulder about Stanford and Boalt; we have the faculty and student body which can rival any other. So, if you're thinking of the Bay Area, Hastings is a great bet (put your USNWR aside; it ain't real life in so many ways). I'm sure I'll get flack about that but, opinions are opinions. It is likely that I'm in a minority jurisdiction, but take it for what it's worth.

Hastings over Stanford and Boalt? A chip on one's shoulder regarded as an asset? Really?

PS: Try using fewer semi-colons. Nine times out of ten, a period will suffice.

twert

Postby twert » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:07 pm

if going to a lower ranked school equals chip, my chip is bigger than yours.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 pm

twert wrote:if going to a lower ranked school equals chip, my chip is bigger than yours.

In that case, does a Cooley education come with a side of guac?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Educationally, you will outshine the top ranked schools, because you have a chip on your shoulder about Stanford and Boalt

EL OHHH EL

twert

Postby twert » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
twert wrote:if going to a lower ranked school equals chip, my chip is bigger than yours.

cooley comes with a full plate of nachos

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm really confused right now.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

twert wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

How to plantain chip schools rank?

twert

Postby twert » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:22 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
twert wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

How to plantain chip schools rank?

baylor

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 pm

MD/JD 2B? You going to UCSF med school?

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Done med school and spent too much time on the Farm; thanks for the hints about semicolons; it made me feel gooood; i'd rather live in my house in sf and not commute to taco bell or homeless heaven; the place of my employment will be in SF; orange bowl, here we come bye andy bye jim thanks for the memories; have a good holiday; get a job at Hoover tower; it's bitchin; nice to be a second class citizen in a 2nd class town; good fit

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:48 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Done med school and spent too much time on the Farm; thanks for the hints about semicolons; it made me feel gooood; i'd rather live in my house in sf and not commute to taco bell or homeless heaven; the place of my employment will be in SF; orange bowl, here we come bye andy bye jim thanks for the memories; have a good holiday; get a job at Hoover tower; it's bitchin; nice to be a second class citizen in a 2nd class town; good fit

????

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:33 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Done med school and spent too much time on the Farm; thanks for the hints about semicolons; it made me feel gooood; i'd rather live in my house in sf and not commute to taco bell or homeless heaven; the place of my employment will be in SF; orange bowl, here we come bye andy bye jim thanks for the memories; have a good holiday; get a job at Hoover tower; it's bitchin; nice to be a second class citizen in a 2nd class town; good fit

Fill up your crackpipe before making that post?

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Educationally, you will outshine the top ranked schools, because you have a chip on your shoulder about Stanford and Boalt

By this logic, everyone who goes to a lower-ranked school should outperform students at higher-ranking schools. They should put THAT in USNews!

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:00 am

This is the season for root vegetables and fresh pomegranates. as well as persimmons

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:48 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:This is the season for root vegetables and fresh pomegranates. as well as persimmons

english is hard

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:03 pm

I am sure this thread is going off the deep end, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing more from the OP (that is, the OP pre-gibberish posts). A friend of mine is at Hastings, and I have applied, but I am not sure that it would be worth the cost of living in SF to go to a school so clearly outranked by such close neighbors.

last post is right--engrish is hard.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 pm

The lack of maturity from the OP (and many other parts of the forums) creates a bleak picture of the character of future lawyers.

Harry Schmidt, esq., Ex-Troll.

But maybe trolling existed pre-internet in more subtle ways.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:40 pm

McNulty wrote:The lack of maturity from the OP (and many other parts of the forums) creates a bleak picture of the character of future lawyers.

your pal Bunk Moreland is trolling around here somewhere...

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:45 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Finals are coming up in 3 days. We've had plenty of time to study and the three finals are about 6-7 days apart. We have a very social student body and apt to go partying at every turn; this is supported by the University and the faculty, who are frequently participants. Students don't seem to be stressed, but I'm the wrong person to comment on that, since I'm not your traditional student. My concerns about the school center around how it is run; it is my hope the new dean will do things which were not being done (like paying attentiion to fundraising, and having a more of a open door policy for the students). We have no obmbudsman, anad it is unclear who you would talk to in case of a peronal or academic emergency. Educationally, you will outshine the top ranked schools, because you have a chip on your shoulder about Stanford and Boalt; we have the faculty and student body which can rival any other. So, if you're thinking of the Bay Area, Hastings is a great bet (put your USNWR aside; it ain't real life in so many ways). I'm sure I'll get flack about that but, opinions are opinions. It is likely that I'm in a minority jurisdiction, but take it for what it's worth.

This is retarded

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
McNulty wrote:The lack of maturity from the OP (and many other parts of the forums) creates a bleak picture of the character of future lawyers.

your pal Bunk Moreland is trolling around here somewhere...

I only share the namesake of Det. McNulty.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:03 am

I know the fella, it's safe to say he's a pretty mature person (and he is actually a doctor btw). His replies are likely intended to reciprocate the douchey responses early on in the thread.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:16 am

Borhas wrote:I know the fella, it's safe to say he's a pretty mature person (and he is actually a doctor btw). His replies are likely intended to reciprocate the douchey responses early on in the thread.

When you say things like Hastings >>> Stanford & Boalt and consider a chip on one's shoulder to be a good thing, you ask for it. Posting strings of gibberish is a far from effective retaliation.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:29 am

Borhas wrote:

I know the fella, it's safe to say he's a pretty mature person (and he is actually a doctor btw). His replies are likely intended to reciprocate the douchey responses early on in the thread.

That's good.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”