LSU 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
legalprincess
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby legalprincess » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 am

How is LSU with scholarship money for OOS?

And how is the work/life balance (i.e. do students ever actually have time for fun)?

sbmr12
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby sbmr12 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 pm

I just got accepted at LSU and I am really considering going there. My main concern is that I am from Texas and I hope to be able to work in Texas after graduating from law school. Do you know if people at LSU ever attain summer positions in Texas or are they pretty limited to LA?

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

legalprincess wrote:How is LSU with scholarship money for OOS?


They are decent with scholarship money, though I can't really comment too much on how they are about OOS since I'm in state. I know that the typical partial scholarship is a waiver of your OOS fee, which they are probably going to be doing more of this semester than giving full scholarships because of all the budget cuts.

legalprincess wrote:And how is the work/life balance (i.e. do students ever actually have time for fun)?

You do have more classes at LSU than you do at other universities, but I found time for fun especially in the first month or so of the semester. There are tons of events scheduled, but it is completely up to you to manage your time. If you can budget your time effectively, you can definitely maintain a good balance.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:55 pm

sbmr12 wrote:I just got accepted at LSU and I am really considering going there. My main concern is that I am from Texas and I hope to be able to work in Texas after graduating from law school. Do you know if people at LSU ever attain summer positions in Texas or are they pretty limited to LA?

Yes, they definitely do. We often have firms that have Texas offices interview during OCI (one of the firms interviewing 1Ls for OCI this semester is looking for people in both its LA and Houston offices). You will probably have to do a little extra work getting interviews with TX firms by going outside of OCI because most of the firms are going to be LA firms. But, especially the large firms, many have TX offices where you can ask to interview for that office.

The civil/common law thing is what makes a lot of people nervous about school in LA, but LSU, unlike Tulane and Loyola, does not have you pick between the civil or common law program. You take enough classes in each legal tradition that you can go anywhere basically. So you don't have to worry that you won't be able to take your JD anywhere but LA if you go to LSU.

bayougrl26
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby bayougrl26 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Are you, or is anyone you know, doing the 6 weeks in Lyon?

csnowden1985
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby csnowden1985 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

bayougrl26 wrote:Are you, or is anyone you know, doing the 6 weeks in Lyon?


Everyone is, well a good portion of the class at least. Probably about 1/3 -1/2. Generally the super smart badasses, probably will stick around to work their $1500 a week jobs. While the rest of us lesser souls (outside the top 20% generally) will be "learning" in France. I have "standing" to speak because I am also a 1L, over at good ole LSU. Any out of staters with questions, I could help I'm the one and only Alabamian represented this year in my class. Okay back to the books, later TLSers

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:08 am

bayougrl26 wrote:Are you, or is anyone you know, doing the 6 weeks in Lyon?

I'm not, but usually about 1/3 of the class does.

bayougrl26
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby bayougrl26 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh wow. That is a lot.

I'll be at the ASD in March so I may have more questions then. But I'm also from Alabama and almost definitely going to LSU in the fall. I grew up in Abita Springs and have missed Louisiana so much.

prea5356
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 am

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby prea5356 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:44 am

I was just wondering...how is LSU with accepting people off of the waitlist? I have been placed on the waitlist for fall 2011 and would like to know my chances of getting in.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:36 pm

prea5356 wrote:I was just wondering...how is LSU with accepting people off of the waitlist? I have been placed on the waitlist for fall 2011 and would like to know my chances of getting in.

I honestly couldn't tell you. Getting off the waitlist is completely dependent on how many people decide they are not going to attend, so it is hard to predict. I can't say that I know personally anyone in my classes that were waitlisted, mostly because that isn't something people really talk about. Best of luck!

User avatar
Gamecock227
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm

First we have a facebook group for class of 2014
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/hom ... 77381&ap=1

Second could you give me some information on places to live, maybe a few from cheap areas, mid priced, and the more expensive places to live

Third, how is Baton Rouge?

leejh38
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby leejh38 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:01 pm

csnowden1985 wrote:Any out of staters with questions, I could help I'm the one and only Alabamian represented this year in my class.


I'll take that offer! I got accepted and offered some money and absolutely loved my visit. I am from Alabama as well, and completely intend to return to Alabama to practice when I graduate.

My question for you is do you plan on going back to Alabama upon graduation? And if so, what's the word on that degree working for you outside of Louisiana? I know the program itself trains you to practice common law just fine, but the feel I get from talking to lawyers outside of LA is the stereotype of a Louisiana law degree is that you will have to stay in LA to succeed. I'm worried that if this is how they feel about it then my prospects of getting hired in AL after graduating from LSU would significantly drop and it might be better to just stay at an in-state school instead (Cumberland particularly).

Basically my brain is scrambled over this situation. Any advice you have on this would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to bloviate! lol

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Titleist » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

A few non law related questions-
What are some nice neighborhoods to look at? I'm not familiar with the area, any nice studio apartments come off the top of your head? Also, how hard is it for a law student to get tickets to LSU football or baseball?

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 am

UNTravis wrote:A few non law related questions-
What are some nice neighborhoods to look at? I'm not familiar with the area, any nice studio apartments come off the top of your head? Also, how hard is it for a law student to get tickets to LSU football or baseball?


Decent neighborhood is basically anything that is not far down State Street or on Gardere Lane. For the most part, everywhere else is okay (safety wise). BR for the most part has a pretty wide variety of areas (and price-ranges) to live in, though I don't know of too many studio apartments. If you have anywhere in particular in mind, I can probably give you an idea. However, even though they are decent, I would avoid the apartments on Burbank near Lee Drive (specifically University Crescent and The Commons)-- both are heavily saturated with undergrads that love throwing super loud parties every weekend.

As far as sport tickets go, baseball tickets are pretty easy to come by. Football, not so much. Here's how football tickets for law students work:
The law students do have a reserved section in the stadium, which is really nice because as an undergrad, you usually had to get into the stadium 1-1.5 hours before kick-off to sit somewhere half-way decent. Most got in there earlier. Law seating, as long as you are there 20 minutes before, you are okay.
The law center is given a specific amount of season football tickets. 3Ls are given about 2 days to buy them if they want them. After that, the 2Ls get to buy them. After the 2L buying period ends, there usually only is less than 15-20 sets of tickets left. So for the 1Ls, SBA has a lottery every week there is a football game (everyone who wants a ticket puts their name in a hat, and whoever gets their name pulled has the option to purchase the ticket for that game). Your second option to get tickets as a 1L is to make friends with 2Ls and 3Ls. Most people just buy the tickets in case they want to go, and if they don't, they sell it off; I managed to get my tickets from a 3L who only bought the season so he could have two game tickets, I bought the rest.

That was probably way more information than you needed, but I can tell you that if you have never been in Death Valley before, it is definitely something to try to experience, especially for one of the really big games.

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby Titleist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the ticket process, as it is defiantly a selling point for my decision. Do you happen to know if the same process works for the other grad schools at LSU? I ask because my girlfriend would be getting her masters in speech language pathology if we went. What else can you tell me about LSU, Baton Rouge and even Louisiana that I can not gather from your schools website/brouchers? I'm originally two hours from Houston and currently in UG in Texas but for some reason I keep putting LSU at the top of my list.


Also, after the October LSAT I plan on touring LSU and Baton Rouge, what restaurants/bars/sites do you recommend checking out?

RelativeEase
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby RelativeEase » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 pm

What should i expect at orientation and what should i wear?

what should i expect on my first day of classes?

How much time do you spend outside of class studying with other students as compared to studying by yourself? Do you think you spend more time studying by yourself than other students?

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby Titleist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:00 am

RelativeEase wrote:What should i expect at orientation and what should i wear?


My guess would be to dress business casual, you can never go wrong with that? Congrats on going to LSU. What factored in to your decision?

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 pm

RelativeEase wrote:What should i expect at orientation and what should i wear?

what should i expect on my first day of classes?

How much time do you spend outside of class studying with other students as compared to studying by yourself? Do you think you spend more time studying by yourself than other students?


Sorry for the late response! I'll answer your last question, since that one is still relevant right now.

I spend much more time studying by myself than with other students. Mainly because studying with other students (for me) is a distraction. Group study is very very effective for going over old exams, but other than that, it's not that helpful in my opinion.

User avatar
Titleist
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby Titleist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
RelativeEase wrote:What should i expect at orientation and what should i wear?

what should i expect on my first day of classes?

How much time do you spend outside of class studying with other students as compared to studying by yourself? Do you think you spend more time studying by yourself than other students?


Sorry for the late response! I'll answer your last question, since that one is still relevant right now.

I spend much more time studying by myself than with other students. Mainly because studying with other students (for me) is a distraction. Group study is very very effective for going over old exams, but other than that, it's not that helpful in my opinion.

Will you answer my questions por favor? LSU is on my very, very short list and I want as much info as I can before I go visit the school.

Another question for consideration, do you know anything about LSU waiving out-of-state tuition? That would be a tremendous help and my GPA (and hopefully my LSAT) is well above the 75% percentile, could this help in getting out-of-state waived?


Thanks bud.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:16 pm

UNTravis wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:
RelativeEase wrote:What should i expect at orientation and what should i wear?

what should i expect on my first day of classes?

How much time do you spend outside of class studying with other students as compared to studying by yourself? Do you think you spend more time studying by yourself than other students?


Sorry for the late response! I'll answer your last question, since that one is still relevant right now.

I spend much more time studying by myself than with other students. Mainly because studying with other students (for me) is a distraction. Group study is very very effective for going over old exams, but other than that, it's not that helpful in my opinion.

Will you answer my questions por favor? LSU is on my very, very short list and I want as much info as I can before I go visit the school.

Another question for consideration, do you know anything about LSU waiving out-of-state tuition? That would be a tremendous help and my GPA (and hopefully my LSAT) is well above the 75% percentile, could this help in getting out-of-state waived?


Thanks bud.


Here's the thing about LSAT's and GPA. Your LSAT is WAAAAAY more important than your GPA. Mostly because the GPA's accuracy is so hard to pin down-- some degree programs are way harder than others, as are some colleges, while some are a cakewalk. With the LSAT, for everyone is taking the same 1-3 same tests. Get your LSAT score first before you start thinking of possibly scholarships you could receive. In terms of scholarships though, one of the most common ones LSU gives out is the out of state waiver. So get your LSAT score up there, and you stand a better shot of getting the waiver with that than GPA alone.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 5 guests