LSU 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BriaTharen

LSU 2L Taking Questions

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:54 am

Hi! I'm a 2L at Louisiana State University and I'm happy to answer any questions about it, choosing a law school in Louisiana (I turned down Loyola LA and Tulane), civil/common law, or any other questions you may have. I check TLS pretty frequently, so I should be able to answer questions in a reasonable amount of time. And please, no hateful posts.

-Bria
Last edited by BriaTharen on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Re: LSU 1L Taking Questions

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Are all girls at LSU as cute as you or should I consider you the cream of the crop?

:wink:

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:50 pm

What are the 1L summer job prospects/3L job prospects like?

What made you choose LSU over Tulane?

How is living in Baton Rouge?

dood

Postby dood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Pokerlaw:
What are the 1L summer job prospects/3L job prospects like?
I'll answer as best I can for right now, but will revisit this question in February once 1L summer job bidding is in progress.
For both 1Ls-3Ls, job prospects are obviously very dependent upon grades. That's not to say you can't find a job if you aren't in top 25%, but it does make it harder. LSU Law students tend to either stay in LA, go to TX, or other Southern states. The competition for summer positions among the 1Ls is very high, since there aren't many available. This is why 1/3+ of the 1L class does the summer program in Lyon. The recession has hit LA, but a little later, and not as badly as some other states. But it is starting to pick up. I'll keep you posted once 1L OCI gets closer.

What made you choose LSU over Tulane?
Two reasons:
1. Cost- as an instate student, LSU was a hell of a lot cheaper than Tulane. Tack on a scholarship, and the debt I'm graduating with isn't too bad. You do have the trade-off of going to a lower ranked school, so it does depend on what you value more.
2. In-state/out-of-state- I didn't know whether I was going to leave LA when I graduated or stay, and quite frankly I'm still not sure. As I'm sure you are aware, LA is a mixed jurisdiction- having both the civil and the common law. When you graduate from LSU, where you do have to take a few more credit hours than most law schools, you will graduate with a JD and a Degree in Comparative Law. The Comparative law degree is basically all of your civil law courses. In comparison- Tulane puts a lot of pressure on you to choose the common or civil law. If you want to do both, you have to stay for an extra semester to fulfill all the requirements. LSU has it already built in in 4 years. Also, LSU consistently has the highest LA bar-passage rate in the state. Lastly, a good number of people from LSU stay in LA, while the majority of Tulane graduates leave LA. For networking reasons if you want to remain in LA, LSU may be a better option.

How is living in Baton Rouge?
I grew up in New Orleans, and I love Baton Rouge. The city isn't huge, but it is going places. And New Orleans is just an hour or so away. Rent is reasonable, you can get a decent apartment for around $500/month. Is there anything in particular you wanted to know about BR?

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:37 pm

dood wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Hi! I'm a 1L at Louisiana State University and I'm happy to answer any questions about it, choosing a law school in Louisiana (I turned down Loyola LA and Tulane), civil/common law, or any other questions you may have. I check TLS pretty frequently, so I should be able to answer questions in a reasonable amount of time. And please, no hateful posts.

-Bria

how did u get ur ass handed to u by arkansas?

Those two ridiculous snaps didn't help.

Woo pig sooie, y'all.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 am

BriaTharen wrote:Is there anything in particular you wanted to know about BR?

Thanks for the answers. I went to Baton Rogue a few years ago, but I wasn't even thinking about applying to law school at the time.

I applied to Tulane as well, I'm OOS so the salary break wouldn't be as large for me.

Law_Dog91

Postby Law_Dog91 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks :) for taking some time out to answer questions about LSU. I haven't taken time out yet to go down there and check things out, but it seems like a great campus. What I'm worried about is classmates and the atmosphere because I've heard a lot of bad things about how competitive and ugly law school can get. Are your classmates friendly? Is there a lot of animosity between you guys because people are trying to position themselves for jobs/law review? I would really appreciate an answer if you have the time.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:13 am

Law_Dog91 wrote:Thanks :) for taking some time out to answer questions about LSU. I haven't taken time out yet to go down there and check things out, but it seems like a great campus. What I'm worried about is classmates and the atmosphere because I've heard a lot of bad things about how competitive and ugly law school can get. Are your classmates friendly? Is there a lot of animosity between you guys because people are trying to position themselves for jobs/law review? I would really appreciate an answer if you have the time.

Honestly, here is pretty much the definition of southern hospitality. I was expecting the really competitive nature, but everyone (for the most part) is really nice to each other, happy to answer any questions that someone may have if asked, as well as trade study materials. I've heard of one or two gunners in other sections, but I can tell you that I really haven't seen the competitive assholes in my section, or much at all.
Now, granted, right now we are all terrified 1Ls who don't really know what we are doing. I'm curious to see how much things are going to change once grades come out in January and people who expected to do better, need to score higher to keep their scholarship, etc are out for blood. I think the competitiveness may come out more next semester, but for right now, everyone is really nice and helpful towards each other.

Law_Dog91

Postby Law_Dog91 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:17 am

BriaTharen wrote:
Law_Dog91 wrote:Thanks :) for taking some time out to answer questions about LSU. I haven't taken time out yet to go down there and check things out, but it seems like a great campus. What I'm worried about is classmates and the atmosphere because I've heard a lot of bad things about how competitive and ugly law school can get. Are your classmates friendly? Is there a lot of animosity between you guys because people are trying to position themselves for jobs/law review? I would really appreciate an answer if you have the time.

Honestly, here is pretty much the definition of southern hospitality. I was expecting the really competitive nature, but everyone (for the most part) is really nice to each other, happy to answer any questions that someone may have if asked, as well as trade study materials. I've heard of one or two gunners in other sections, but I can tell you that I really haven't seen the competitive assholes in my section, or much at all.
Now, granted, right now we are all terrified 1Ls who don't really know what we are doing. I'm curious to see how much things are going to change once grades come out in January and people who expected to do better, need to score higher to keep their scholarship, etc are out for blood. I think the competitiveness may come out more next semester, but for right now, everyone is really nice and helpful towards each other.

Awesome :D ! Thanks for the response! Does LSU really have any special areas or programs that allow students to specialize? I did notice they are not in any of the niche rankings in USNWR but am still very interested in going there! And, I have always heard how law school is alot like high school with people forming cliques and gossip and whatnot? Have you noticed that at LSU at all? Again, if you have time I would really appreciate an answer!

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:31 am

Law_Dog91 wrote:Awesome :D ! Thanks for the response! Does LSU really have any special areas or programs that allow students to specialize? I did notice they are not in any of the niche rankings in USNWR but am still very interested in going there! And, I have always heard how law school is alot like high school with people forming cliques and gossip and whatnot? Have you noticed that at LSU at all? Again, if you have time I would really appreciate an answer!

The main special area is going to be with the amount of civil law classes we have (see my response to pokerlaw for a full description of how you graduate with dual certificates when you graduate from LSU Law), which can be helpful if you are thinking about doing international law in countries that have a civilian legal tradition. While I really wish there were more classes that dealt with it, LA is a good location to be in if you are interested in mineral and gas law. Word of caution on the niche rankings in USNWR- they aren't very reliable, and you will find unranked schools among them (for example- Franklin Pierce Law Center was, not sure if they still are, listed among the top Intellectual Property programs). Pretty much anyone on this site will tell you that it is better to go to a ranked school without a specialty than an unranked one that is listed on the niche programs lists.
As far as cliques go- when you put a group of 50-75 people together for a significant portion of the day, little groups are going to form, some people aren't going to like other people, and gossip is going to spread. It's pretty much inevitable. I do extend what I said earlier, that besides this being a factor, people are still really nice. It's not too much of a concern.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Saw in the LSU 2011 thread that decisions are starting to come out. Congrats you guys!

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Know anyone there that commutes from as far away as say Slidell, NOLA or Lafayette?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:39 pm

BLin98 wrote:Know anyone there that commutes from as far away as say Slidell, NOLA or Lafayette?

I know a girl who commutes from NOLA for undergrad, but no one for LS. She set up her schedule so she wouldn't have any classes before 11, so she wouldn't get caught in the early morning interstate traffic. Since your 1L schedule is made for you and you can assume with 99% certainty you will have at least two days you have to be on campus for 8am, I wouldn't recommended it. The farthest from BR that I would live would be Sorrento (a little outside Gonzalas).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Curious if the curriculum reflects the civil law foundation of Louisiana.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Curious if the curriculum reflects the civil law foundation of Louisiana.

Yes and no. Louisiana does maintain the civil law, but the civil law is restricted to mainly non-commercial, non-labor private law. Most everything else is primarily common.

For 1L, first semester, you take:
LRW: Common law, though you do use the Civil Code for your final memo
Contracts: Common law (Restatements and UCC)
Criminal: Common law (MPC, LA Revised Statutes)
Torts: Common law; however, the book you use will give both the Restatements as well as the LA Statutes/Civil Code. There is little difference between the Civil Code/Statutes and the Restatements. If anything, it just reflects a state-by-state difference, which you'll find almost anywhere.
Civil Procedure I: Common law; first semester is very case heavy
Legal Traditions: Here is the class that really reflects the civil foundation. This class is an in-depth overview of the different legal traditions- Common, Civil, and LA's mixed jurisdiction. In this class, you learn history of the different traditions, administration of justice and sources of law in those jurisdictions, and methodology of the different traditions. Like most of the 1L class, you will probably hate this class; however, it is actually a really good class and very useful for the civil law classes you take down the road.

1L second semester classes (haven't taken yet, so this is just what I know about them through word of mouth)
LRW: Common law
Obligations: Civil law's take on Contract law. This is one of the areas where the civil law is different than common.
Civil Law Property: From the title, civil law. Common law property is offered as an elective, which many (including myself) choose to take
Admin of Criminal Justice: Mostly civil law
Constitutional law: Obviously, common law
Civil Procedure II: Common law, very focused on the FRCP

Hope that gives you an idea

TL;DR answer- you'll take a mix of both traditions

latiolais

Postby latiolais » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Bria - I've been thinking of law school as a 37 year old with a family. I am close to finishing undergrad at ULL while working full time managerial position. If I have no desire to move outside of LA and will continue employment. Should I consider Southern's part-time night program? I would love to go to LSU, if I can get accepted, but with a family I cannot see it happening without quitting and obtaning a loan for the missing salary + schooling. What are your thoughts? What is the realistic option - try Southern, quit for LSU law, or just opt for a LSU MBA? Thanks in advance.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Ginj wrote:
dood wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Hi! I'm a 1L at Louisiana State University and I'm happy to answer any questions about it, choosing a law school in Louisiana (I turned down Loyola LA and Tulane), civil/common law, or any other questions you may have. I check TLS pretty frequently, so I should be able to answer questions in a reasonable amount of time. And please, no hateful posts.

-Bria

how did u get ur ass handed to u by arkansas?

Those two ridiculous snaps didn't help.

Woo pig sooie, y'all.

Agreed. Go Hogs!!

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:57 pm

How does it feel to go to Shaq's alma mater?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 pm

latiolais wrote:Bria - I've been thinking of law school as a 37 year old with a family. I am close to finishing undergrad at ULL while working full time managerial position. If I have no desire to move outside of LA and will continue employment. Should I consider Southern's part-time night program? I would love to go to LSU, if I can get accepted, but with a family I cannot see it happening without quitting and obtaning a loan for the missing salary + schooling. What are your thoughts? What is the realistic option - try Southern, quit for LSU law, or just opt for a LSU MBA? Thanks in advance.

I absolutely do not recommend Southern. Their bar passage rate is horrendous and in certain categories Southern is considered one of the bottom 5 law schools in the country.

I'm not a non-traditional, so considerations about quitting work for school is better directed towards other non-traditionals. However, it seems like your consideration is between law and business. I would probably try to decide which of those you are more interested in first.

latiolais

Postby latiolais » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:07 pm

If you apply yourself and get everything you can out of class/school, you can pass the bar - considering you work hard and are intelligent enough????? I guess the respect factor would be minimal though. I asked one of our contracted corporate counsels (NOLA) and he said some good lawyers come out of Southern, but you had better graduate at the top of your class.

I just don't know how one could become a lawyer at a decent school without quitting his/her full-time job.

Are you regarded in the job market as more valuable (future earning potential) with just an undergrad or one with an undergrad and a law degree from Southern?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 pm

latiolais wrote:If you apply yourself and get everything you can out of class/school, you can pass the bar - considering you work hard and are intelligent enough????? I guess the respect factor would be minimal though. I asked one of our contracted corporate counsels (NOLA) and he said some good lawyers come out of Southern, but you had better graduate at the top of your class.

I just don't know how one could become a lawyer at a decent school without quitting his/her full-time job.

Are you regarded in the job market as more valuable (future earning potential) with just an undergrad or one with an undergrad and a law degree from Southern?

The corporate counsel is right. Some good lawyers do come out of Southern, and you have to graduate at the top of your class if you do graduate from there. But unfortunately rankings and reputation do matter, and a law degree form LSU is worth more than one from Southern. Not to mention, if you ever want to leave LA, the LSU JD will likely carry you farther than the Southern one (assuming grades are the same for both).

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
latiolais wrote:If you apply yourself and get everything you can out of class/school, you can pass the bar - considering you work hard and are intelligent enough????? I guess the respect factor would be minimal though. I asked one of our contracted corporate counsels (NOLA) and he said some good lawyers come out of Southern, but you had better graduate at the top of your class.

The corporate counsel is right. Some good lawyers do come out of Southern, and you have to graduate at the top of your class if you do graduate from there. But unfortunately rankings and reputation do matter, and a law degree form LSU is worth more than one from Southern. Not to mention, if you ever want to leave LA, the LSU JD will likely carry you farther than the Southern one (assuming grades are the same for both).

I agree with what you said, but it's probably less about rankings and more about the fact that Southern admits students with 3.0's and 143 gpa's (i.e. the quality of student just isnt the same). I know those sort of go hand in hand, but one definitely comes before the other.

p.s. If you are even slightly considering leaving LA immediately after school, Tulane is probably the better option if you can get some cash to offset the cost difference.

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am

Bria,

Any updates on the upcoming February OCI? Have you been impressed or underwhelmed by that department? Does it appear that there will be a decent amount of slots for 1L summer positions or do they appear scare in your opinion? Only enough positions for about 1/3 of the class or something like that?

Ever had any dealings with the financial aid folks or know of anyone that had to have that office adjust the cost of attendance to their actual individual cost of attendance rather than just use the averages based off of the needs and expenses of a 22 year with no dependants?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 am

BLin98 wrote:Bria,

Any updates on the upcoming February OCI? Have you been impressed or underwhelmed by that department? Does it appear that there will be a decent amount of slots for 1L summer positions or do they appear scare in your opinion? Only enough positions for about 1/3 of the class or something like that?

Ever had any dealings with the financial aid folks or know of anyone that had to have that office adjust the cost of attendance to their actual individual cost of attendance rather than just use the averages based off of the needs and expenses of a 22 year with no dependants?

Hey,

Spring OCI just started with the first week of bids last week. We usually don't hear back about interviews for about a week to two weeks. The career services department has been very helpful through the bidding process, so I guess I'm more impressed than underwhelmed. As far as positions for 1Ls, I would say definitely scarce. Competition is stiff for clerkships, which is why many people forgo the whole process and go to France for study abroad (though a few of the larger firms will work with you on France where you work for three weeks before and three weeks after the trip). While I can't speak for other states, I don't think the scarcity of 1L jobs has anything to do with the career services office or LSU as a whole. As a 1L, you really don't know anything. You know enough, but overall, not much. Plus, 1Ls are relatively poor investments- the work they can do is minimal and, since most people like to work at as many firms as possible to get multiple experiences to choose from, the 1Ls are unlikely to go back to that firm again for a job. Career Services has been pretty open about how 1L jobs are often hard to get (especially if you aren't at the top of your class), and has offered to help any students who want to go outside of OCI to job hunt.
So that is the basic outlook with OCI just starting. Interviews start the first week in February.

As for Financial Aid, I've dealt with them, but not your specific issue. You would probably have to call them to talk to them about it, or if you are nearby, actually go to their office and speak with a counselor.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”