Valparaiso University School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KateNix

Valparaiso University School of Law

Postby KateNix » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 pm

I just got accepted to Valparaiso and was just wondering what kind of reputation it has throughout Indiana and Illinois, mainly the Chicago area. Thanks!

lalalawya

Re: Valparaiso University School of Law

Postby lalalawya » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:25 pm

As far as I know, its reputation in Indiana is almost locally confined. I think it is severly outshone by IUB, Notre Dame and even IU-Indy.

KateNix

Postby KateNix » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Ok thanks, I'm also waiting to hear from IU-Indy

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Not a problem! Just an FYI: IU-Indy actually places REALLY well in downtown Indianapolis, even better than IUB which is odd seeing as it is ranked almost 60 spots lower than IUB. If you get into IU-Indy, I would absolutely choose it over Valpo, even if Valpo offered you a scholarship.

Good luck with IU-Indy though! They were actually pretty quick with sending out decisions. I submitted my app end of October and got my acceptance almost two weeks ago.

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:44 pm

KateNix wrote:I just got accepted to Valparaiso and was just wondering what kind of reputation it has throughout Indiana and Illinois, mainly the Chicago area. Thanks!

When I met with an admissions rep, he really played up their Chicago connections but who knows how true that was.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 am

obrienfa wrote:
KateNix wrote:I just got accepted to Valparaiso and was just wondering what kind of reputation it has throughout Indiana and Illinois, mainly the Chicago area. Thanks!

When I met with an admissions rep, he really played up their Chicago connections but who knows how true that was.

...NOT true. Think about how many schools are actually IN Chicago plus UIUC. Then think about ND, IUB, Michigan. The vast majority of students from these SUPERIORLY ranked schools will be fighting desperately for Chicago jobs.

Now, if you truly desired being a DA in Portage, Indiana (etc, etc) then Valpo might be a valid idea WITH scholarship money.

However, if you are considering it because of its "close" (1-2 hours depending on traffic) proximity to Chicago...think twice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”