Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
weee

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:03 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:WEYBURN:

Townhouse or Regular for the win?

I don't live in either but I've been in both and I'd say there's almost no difference. Do you want your common area and your bedrooms on the same floor or on different floors?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm

I just visited UCLA today (loved it), and the professor of the class that I sat in on did not allow laptops. Do most professors allow students to use laptops to take notes? I just have a much easier time taking notes on a computer and would be worried about having to take notes by hand.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Puttanesca wrote:I just visited UCLA today (loved it), and the professor of the class that I sat in on did not allow laptops. Do most professors allow students to use laptops to take notes? I just have a much easier time taking notes on a computer and would be worried about having to take notes by hand.

A lot of people don't like Sander because of his laptop ban, but he's the only professor I've had all year that bans laptops + the ban isn't as bad as it seems. Professors do have the option to ban laptops, however, and most classrooms block the law school wireless. You can still get internet if you tether.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 am

Any idea on the likelihood of having a need-based grant renewed for 2L/3L if financial circumstances don't change? Here's my dilemma:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153768

weee

Postby weee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:37 am

Puttanesca wrote:Any idea on the likelihood of having a need-based grant renewed for 2L/3L if financial circumstances don't change? Here's my dilemma:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153768

This is a great question to ask admissions/financial aid. If you don't feel like their answer is being genuine, then it is just a red flag, but most likely they will tell you the truth.

Related to some of the discussion about rising tuition, I was told by an admitted student over lunch that the latest tuition projections for in-state are 44-47-50 for the next three years. These numbers are below the original approved budgets of 45-50-??? that I had seen in the regents report that circulated last year.

chocoholic

Postby chocoholic » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Can people find jobs in the bay area relatively easily after going to UCLA? What do people think of the profs? Are they approachable? Is UCLA a teaching-focused school or are the profs more focused on research and less on teaching?

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 am

chocoholic wrote:Can people find jobs in the bay area relatively easily after going to UCLA? What do people think of the profs? Are they approachable? Is UCLA a teaching-focused school or are the profs more focused on research and less on teaching?

The Profs are very approachable. I've had lunch with several on different occasions and I'm really not much of an office hours student at all. Seminars in particular are a good way to get lots of prof interaction, and UCLA offers a lot of them. I would say they are definitely teaching focused, though there are obviously some profs who are huge in Research.

As far as Bay area: there are a lot of bay area firms at OCI. Big law in the bay area was pretty tough to crack everywhere, so it takes good grades, but its definitely do-able. There are plenty of 2l's with SA's at big law in either SF or Silicon Valley. Ties to the area help a lot. There are a lot of Norcal natives at UCLA. I know a former hiring partner at Fenwick & West, and he recruited from UCLA and thought pretty highly of the school. In his opinion for CA schools UCLA was significantly above USC for Northern CA. So basically big law would take work, but you can definitely get a job in the Bay area.

weee

Postby weee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:04 am

chocoholic wrote:What do people think of the profs? Are they approachable? Is UCLA a teaching-focused school or are the profs more focused on research and less on teaching?

I find the profs pretty accessible. I think the school definitely cares about teaching quality a lot.

All but one of my professors would do lunch with students (which the school pays for), or some other activity outside of the classroom.

The one professor that was less accessible is very highly published and was still an excellent teacher during classroom hours, just a bit elusive at other times, and it didn't bother me all that much.

I liked every professor, to different degrees, and for different reasons.

upyours

Postby upyours » Sun May 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Are the gay dudes hotter at USC or UCLA?

NotImportant

Postby NotImportant » Mon May 02, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm trying to figure out housing for next year, and I have read the suggestions on this thread. Now I am just trying to find a time to come out and search for housing. From what I gathered May/June is the best time to do this, would everyone agree? Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start? Good landlords, apartments, complexes etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 am

Can anyone discuss study abroad opportunities? It seems more difficult at UCLA than at other schools and that one will have to speak a foriegn language to do so.

Scribble

Postby Scribble » Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm

upyours wrote:Are the gay dudes hotter at USC or UCLA?

USC : UCLA :: Lance Bass : Anderson Cooper

kmhoward

Postby kmhoward » Wed May 18, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm an out of stater and won't be coming to the LA area to apartment hunt until early June. Will I be too late to find a decent apartment? I will not be living in Weyburn as I have a specific roommate I want to live with and I'm worried all the close to campus apts. will be leased by June.

Also, anyone heard/been in/lived in Hilgard Chateau? I'm debating just signing a lease, site unseen, and would love some feedback about the apartment complex.

Thanks for any advice- see you guys in the fall.

chebbyshev

Postby chebbyshev » Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 pm

I've started getting into photography as a hobby and know that UCLA has a top notch graduate program in the arts, so I was wondering if it would be possible to enroll in any of these classes as a 2L/3L. I know SLS encourages enrollment outside of the law school - I've had a few of them in my photography classes lately. Is it the same at UCLA?

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri May 27, 2011 7:38 pm

chebbyshev wrote:I've started getting into photography as a hobby and know that UCLA has a top notch graduate program in the arts, so I was wondering if it would be possible to enroll in any of these classes as a 2L/3L. I know SLS encourages enrollment outside of the law school - I've had a few of them in my photography classes lately. Is it the same at UCLA?

You can take up to 6 units or 2 classes from other programs. However the classes have to "supplement" a law school class and you need to fill out a form from the dean. So if you take some type of entertainment law class like copyright, ent. seminars, etc. at the same time you should be able to take photography classes.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 am

The employment info above is very helpful. If there's a specific firm you're interested in, how much can you focus your efforts on getting employment there? I'm looking at MoFo because they have such a huge office in Tokyo. Any impression on how recent graduates have fared there?

Also, kind of unrelated, but does anybody have any experience with people living downtown? Just curious how it affects social life, studying and so forth. Not looking forward to the commute down Wilshire, but the pros outweigh the cons for me in this situation.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:15 am

What is UCLA's reputation in NY like? Can anyone speak to how easy/hard it would be to come back to NY from LA?

weee

Postby weee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Not ignoring this thread I just honestly don't know about opportunities abroad or on the east coast, sorry.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 am

chocoholic wrote:Can people find jobs in the bay area relatively easily after going to UCLA? What do people think of the profs? Are they approachable? Is UCLA a teaching-focused school or are the profs more focused on research and less on teaching?

Easy relative to what? I mean, jobs are pretty damn hard to find in the LA area... and -- for the UCLA grad -- jobs are a touch harder to find in the Bay area. This is largely because UC Berk and Stanford kind of own that market.

To a similar extent, UCLA and USC own the LA market... but its pretty slim pickings down here if you miss the biglaw boat, and you aren't a public interest-y type.

As far as profs are concerned, many of them research. UCLA hires about 30 to 40 new 1L's each summer to work as research assistants, and they keep them busy. They get paid decently (16 an hour). Once you are an RA, you can work part time during your 2L year for a similar pay grade.

Incoming 1L's scoff at RA jobs, but really they are one of the best summer jobs you can get as a 1L.

watsonnyc

Postby watsonnyc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am

How many of your classmates tried to find summer/full time work in NYC? Were they successful and how did they find the positions, through OCI or on their own?

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Bump.

Just got in! One of top choices - so excited. I'm an out of stater and have spent significant time in California to know about the touristy stuff, but not about life. If people still look at this thread, any info you want to share about settling into 1L, especially for out-of-staters - housing, social life, etc.?

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Any tips for finding off-campus housing?

shbe0701

Postby shbe0701 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Can anyone speak about UCLA's LRAP?

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:55 am

Does anyone here live in Hilgard, and if so, would you recommend it?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”