Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask a UCLA 1L

Postby weee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Rory1987 wrote:How easy is it to take the degree back to the northeast? Know of anyone working in NY, Philly, Boston, DC, etc?

And what percentage of the class is getting BigLaw nowadays? I know UCLA is rumored to have a lot of people who want to do PI, is this true?


I know one person doing a 1L internship in NY. I think self selection here is definitely huge, although I have some classmates that seem undecided on where they want to end up. I wish there were some 2L/3L that were willing to post, maybe if I change the thread title.

As far as lots of people wanting to do PI, yes there are a lot of people who want to do PI. I think the PI section is pretty well represented in my small section and so that might be why I feel that way, but I have met plenty of people that have no interest in corporate law at all. However since I've only attended one law school I can't really tell you if it is particularly true of UCLA, or if that is just how law schools in general are.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Ask a UCLA 1L (2L and 3L posters also wanted!)

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Sorry I just noticed this thread, I'm a 2L and can answer any questions as well. I'll go back and read some of the ones asked earlier and post any more answers in a bit.

Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Ask a UCLA 1L (2L and 3L posters also wanted!)

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Sorry I just noticed this thread, I'm a 2L and can answer any questions as well. I'll go back and read some of the ones asked earlier and post any more answers in a bit.


Can you comment on job prospects (the recent NLJ 250 chart released says that 35% of the class of 2010 got BigLaw -- does this seem right? And what can median expect out of UCLA) and if you know of any UCLA folks taking their degree back east after graduation.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Ask a UCLA 1L (2L and 3L posters also wanted!)

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Take into account that the NLJ numbers are 35% plus around 5-10% more in clerkships. so its probably higher then that in those charts.

I would guess roughly 25%-35% got Jobs from OCI this last year. Its tough to really know the exact numbers, but I would guess its in that range just from friends and experience in OCI. Mostly LA/Bay area, largely becasue of self selection.


I can say the most about LA firms, Latham, OMM, and GDC take about 3.6 minimum (top 15%ish) , Irell, Quinn, and Munger take 3.7 minimum (top 10% ish) The other Big law firm main offices in LA probably take top 25% to be competitive. Now these numbers are to be competitive or to get a callback, it takes interview skills and all that to get offers.

As far as the eastcoast, I do know several people with big law in NYC. The other cities would take ties, and would be tougher but not impossible.

I think these numbers probably are similar to East coast firms. The highest selective firms would take similar numbers as Irell and Quinn etc. The good thing about NYC is the huge size in classes and a lot less UCLA students want to work in NYC so its much easier to get interviews at OCI.

Median students ( without Law review, diversity, or Patent) likely would have to settle for midsize firms, Gov., PI at best. I'm actually a transfer so I think firms considered me around median, I ended up getting an SA at a firm about 50-60 attorneys and that pays about 80k-85k starting. Not big law pay by any means, but after striking out at OCI it felt pretty good.

That being said I know quite a few 3L's without anything lined up or with unpaid gov jobs.

FreddyBigShot
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Ask a UCLA 1L (2L and 3L posters also wanted!)

Postby FreddyBigShot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Take into account that the NLJ numbers are 35% plus around 5-10% more in clerkships. so its probably higher then that in those charts.

I would guess roughly 25%-35% got Jobs from OCI this last year. Its tough to really know the exact numbers, but I would guess its in that range just from friends and experience in OCI. Mostly LA/Bay area, largely becasue of self selection.


I can say the most about LA firms, Latham, OMM, and GDC take about 3.6 minimum (top 15%ish) , Irell, Quinn, and Munger take 3.7 minimum (top 10% ish) The other Big law firm main offices in LA probably take top 25% to be competitive. Now these numbers are to be competitive or to get a callback, it takes interview skills and all that to get offers.

As far as the eastcoast, I do know several people with big law in NYC. The other cities would take ties, and would be tougher but not impossible.

I think these numbers probably are similar to East coast firms. The highest selective firms would take similar numbers as Irell and Quinn etc. The good thing about NYC is the huge size in classes and a lot less UCLA students want to work in NYC so its much easier to get interviews at OCI.

Median students ( without Law review, diversity, or Patent) likely would have to settle for midsize firms, Gov., PI at best. I'm actually a transfer so I think firms considered me around median, I ended up getting an SA at a firm about 50-60 attorneys and that pays about 80k-85k starting. Not big law pay by any means, but after striking out at OCI it felt pretty good.

That being said I know quite a few 3L's without anything lined up or with unpaid gov jobs.
Last edited by FreddyBigShot on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Ask a UCLA 1L (2L and 3L posters also wanted!)

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 am

Feel free to ask any more specific questions and I can answer to the best of my ability.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 am

So I went back and read the thread and wanted to add some general thoughts to some of the questions.

top 10% is probably as close to safe as possible to get biglaw. The reality is no one is safe, but thats just the economy. Top 25-35% are at least going to have options for callbacks. Like I said before the 6 most selective firms in LA would almost assuredly be out of reach, but some of the other big law firms are definitely in play. I have heard of some median students getting big law. However I've also heard plenty of top 25% not getting it. So i think it evens out.

Something I've noticed anecdotally, is firms are calling back more people and becoming more selective with offers.

Lately things have been getting better for 2l's. I know a lot of people getting jobs in the last couple months at mid-sized firms. It takes some aggressive work finding jobs but its definitely doable. I know some people relied solely on OCI and didnt really apply aggressively, which kills all chances for jobs. I think thats the key, not relying on OCI, applying aggressively to lots of firms in the early fall/ late summer, and persistence. So while UCLA is not going to guarantee big law, there are plenty of other options that some may actually like more.

There are quite a few Public interest or government oriented students as well. I have several friends that have very interesting summer jobs in different areas.

Government is a bit tougher because CA state hiring is so terrible right now.

gnmnkch
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby gnmnkch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Would you guys mind chiming in on my situation (UCLA$$ vs. Duke$ vs. NYU) (here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=151710 )? Since you guys know what's going on at UCLA I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks a bunch.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:25 am

^^ Voted for UCLA in the poll, compulsory vote, also probably what I would choose because I wouldn't want to overburden a generous offer from my parents to help w/ payment.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby TUP » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Is it possible to go without a car in weyburn? Or is having one still a must even living that close to campus?

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

TUP wrote:Is it possible to go without a car in weyburn? Or is having one still a must even living that close to campus?


Yes, you can. Just make sure you have a couple nice friends that have cars for emergencies.

User avatar
mleibman
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby mleibman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Are there any laws which require UCLA to have an X% of in-state residents? I am from NY, and UCLA is my top choice. My numbers are good, but I am worried that as an out-of-state applicant, I may be at a disadvantage.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby jay115 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:42 pm

mleibman wrote:Are there any laws which require UCLA to have an X% of in-state residents? I am from NY, and UCLA is my top choice. My numbers are good, but I am worried that as an out-of-state applicant, I may be at a disadvantage.


No. They also like out-of-staters like you because you pay more. :)

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:48 am

Bump for any post admitted students' day questions

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 am

just wanted to thank you guys for posting. there is a major lack of info for the california schools on these boards. if i end up getting in I will probably pick your brains quite a bit

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 am

FlanAl wrote:just wanted to thank you guys for posting. there is a major lack of info for the california schools on these boards. if i end up getting in I will probably pick your brains quite a bit


Agreed, there's not a lot of "California Love" on these boards, I was glad to see a solid showing in the USC thread this year as well.

User avatar
predent/prelaw
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby predent/prelaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Ok so I really really want to do law in LA. Before I thought I only had a shot at USC but I just had like 4 Fs changed to Ws from a while back so I will hopefully now have a shot at UCLA... I have really tried to research Entertainment law firms and most I have found are UCLA/USC grads. USC really seems cool with their Trojan network thingy so how do UCLA students get connected into the industry? I understand it is really hard to get into but I have worked at a small agency in NYC before and have some connections in LA to Agents, a producer, and madddddd aspiring actresses haha. Is UCLA a better choice for entertainment law hopefuls than USC?

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:Ok so I really really want to do law in LA. Before I thought I only had a shot at USC but I just had like 4 Fs changed to Ws from a while back so I will hopefully now have a shot at UCLA... I have really tried to research Entertainment law firms and most I have found are UCLA/USC grads. USC really seems cool with their Trojan network thingy so how do UCLA students get connected into the industry? I understand it is really hard to get into but I have worked at a small agency in NYC before and have some connections in LA to Agents, a producer, and madddddd aspiring actresses haha. Is UCLA a better choice for entertainment law hopefuls than USC?


Your best bet for making those kind of connections at UCLA is probably through the entertainment law specialty and the connections that the faculty working in the program have already.

TheThreader
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby TheThreader » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 am

how do you indicate you want weyburn and when do you need to do this by?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:24 pm

any thoughts on people trying to get biglaw in secondary markets like OC or SD from UCLA? top 25% give you a pretty good shot? thanks

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 pm

FlanAl wrote:any thoughts on people trying to get biglaw in secondary markets like OC or SD from UCLA? top 25% give you a pretty good shot? thanks


I don't know for sure, I know UCLA is sending people to those markets, but it seems reasonable that UCLA can place well down south since there's not really another school besides USC that really competes. UCI is too new to tell how it will change things.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby weee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 pm

TheThreader wrote:how do you indicate you want weyburn and when do you need to do this by?


It is part of the housing application, if you login to URSA and go to MyHousing, there is an app that you need to fill out and pay $30. You want single graduate housing to have weyburn as an option. I'd be surprised if some instructions to this effect weren't already sent to you

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby jay115 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:12 pm

FlanAl wrote:any thoughts on people trying to get biglaw in secondary markets like OC or SD from UCLA? top 25% give you a pretty good shot? thanks


bump
Last edited by jay115 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:31 pm

FlanAl wrote:any thoughts on people trying to get biglaw in secondary markets like OC or SD from UCLA? top 25% give you a pretty good shot? thanks


My own experience, SD tends to want ties to the area. LA and OC really don't seem to have the same issue with ties (at least for UCLA students). Also the SD market is pretty small in comparison to the other large CA markets. So its a tougher market to predict. There is not a lot of big law firms. top third with solid ties to SD would probably have a better shot then top 15 or 20% with no ties. Thats just my own personal experience, based on anecdotal perception of the class.

OC is easier to some extent. I went to Undergrad in Orange county but I don't remember any firms asking about ties to the area. Patent law is huge in OC, so thats a huge advantage. There are a lot of satellite offices in Orange county, many of them deal with patent. The largest firm in OC is Knobbe Martens which is a patent firm.

Irell/Gibson/OMM/Latham are just as tough as the offices in LA. I gave some general cutoffs above. They may be even tougher because of the smaller size of the classes. For you actual question top 25% would not get a job at one of these.

The other satellite big law offices probably are in the top 15-20% range, depending on the firm. top 25% could have a shot, i wouldn't necessarily call it a good shot though.

The non-Satellite offices, Places like Rutan Tucker are easier, but still were pretty stiff this year. I would guess top third or so. However, There are not tons of market paying non-satellite firms in OC.

After those range there is the mid-lawish type firms. which are really unpredictable but obviously easier grade wise.

There is not a competing school in OC, however other T14's place in Orange county. Berkeley and Stanford well as non western T14s.

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Ask UCLA 1Ls/2L (3L posters also wanted!)

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:10 pm

WEYBURN:

Townhouse or Regular for the win?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest