University at Buffalo Law 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ohmylord

Re: University at Buffalo Law 1L Taking Questions

Postby ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am

For any current students, when did you receive any word or letter on scholarships? I received my acceptance letter but they did not talk about any offers while other schools have offered me merit or minority based scholarships in their acceptance letters.

Should I be worried or start negotiating? (if negotiating, how would I go about it?)

EDIT: Some info
Albany Law: $20,000 minority scholarship (which would bring it to just a little above Buffalo's sticker)
St. John's: $10,000 merit scholarship (brings it to about $30,000 a year)
Syracuse: $10,000 merit scholarship (same as above)

My LSAT score is 157 and GPA 3.62, so I'm right about the median.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 am

ohmylord wrote:For any current students, when did you receive any word or letter on scholarships? I received my acceptance letter but they did not talk about any offers while other schools have offered me merit or minority based scholarships in their acceptance letters.

Should I be worried or start negotiating? (if negotiating, how would I go about it?)

EDIT: Some info
Albany Law: $20,000 minority scholarship (which would bring it to just a little above Buffalo's sticker)
St. John's: $10,000 merit scholarship (brings it to about $30,000 a year)
Syracuse: $10,000 merit scholarship (same as above)

My LSAT score is 157 and GPA 3.62, so I'm right about the median.

We got scholarship info in the acceptance packet.

UB is being EXTREMELY tight with scholarships this year. Anyone with great scores is getting the same 5k scholly as someone right above the medians. See the lawschoolnumbers.com graph/data

I imagine that after people start withdrawing you're going to get the 5k a year offer if you ask for it. It appears to be the only scholarship they're giving out.

Edit: I'm a current applicant 0L, of course, but I found this information relevant to your interests. Also check out the Buffalo Waiting Thread in the Forum Index.

ohmylord

Postby ohmylord » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Just curious if there's anyone from Buffalo that knows anything about Flint Village. I just got a room on there for the first year and I'm curious to know what the environment is like and what the rooms are like.

cinndyloo

Postby cinndyloo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I would love to know if any UB 1L's worked during their first year? I realize it's not generally recommended to work during school, but I am truthfully the type that has always worked through school. Also, not working does not seem to be a financially feasible option.
It sounds as though UB is not as cut throat as many other schools, and the work load seems reasonable, at least within the expectations of Law school in general. Is it possible to work at least part time? Or is this just an unrealistic expectation on my part?

Also, any idea what the chances are of finding a paid internship during school?

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”