University of Washington 1L-3Ls out there to ansr PS Ques?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LawLucy

University of Washington 1L-3Ls out there to ansr PS Ques?

Postby LawLucy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:00 pm

I could use some expert advice to any 1, 2 or 3Ls out there who went through the rigid "personal statement of 700 words or less"
I have often heard that you should do what the LS tells you to do...however, my PS is exactly 970 words. which means cutting out a key section of life impact without affecting the entire PS.
How many of you have stuck to the 700 words or less
Or did you keep it a bit over?

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance btw!

Sandro

Re: University of Washington 1L-3Ls out there to ansr PS Ques?

Postby Sandro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Cut down to 700. It's not an insurmountable challenge and if I were Washington U I would raise a red flag when an application could not follow a simple direction.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm

If this "key section of life impact" is so vital, why not simply build a shorter personal statement essay around this section?

For what it's worth, the essay I submitted with my UW application was just under 500 words.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:25 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:If this "key section of life impact" is so vital, why not simply build a shorter personal statement essay around this section?

For what it's worth, the essay I submitted with my UW application was just under 500 words.

thanks for both responses. I thought about reformatting the entire PS to placate them...but what a pain in the a$$ during application season ya know? So I cut out that section (much to my screaming internal voice) and got it down to 670 words.
Still seems strange that out of ALL the top T20s who give up to 4 page limits, that UW with a lower ranking would cut it off at 700 words. Oh well....I probably won't get in...they seem to love out of staters much more than Alum

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:54 pm

LawLucy wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:If this "key section of life impact" is so vital, why not simply build a shorter personal statement essay around this section?

thanks for both responses. I thought about reformatting the entire PS to placate them...but what a pain in the a$$ during application season ya know? So I cut out that section (much to my screaming internal voice) and got it down to 670 words.
Still seems strange that out of ALL the top T20s who give up to 4 page limits, that UW with a lower ranking would cut it off at 700 words. Oh well....I probably won't get in...they seem to love out of staters much more than Alum

Really? I go to UW undergrad and based on anecdotal evidence they seem to favor UW alumni/residents over out-of-state individuals.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:26 am

KevinP wrote:
LawLucy wrote:

Really? I go to UW undergrad and based on anecdotal evidence they seem to favor UW alumni/residents over out-of-state individuals.

Really genius? I am an Alum undergrad AND have an MBA...so we shall see won't we...right sunshine?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:34 am

ITT: OP asks for advice, doesn't like advice, is a total douche.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:42 am

Adjudicator wrote:ITT: OP asks for advice, doesn't like advice, is a total douche.

OP adhered to advice..thinks most GUYS on TLS are DOUCHBAGS and losers...like you

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:54 am

LawLucy wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:ITT: OP asks for advice, doesn't like advice, is a total douche.

OP adhered to advice..thinks most GUYS on TLS are DOUCHBAGS and losers...like you

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Also, I hope you don't get in to UW.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:59 am

KevinP wrote:

LawLucy wrote:Really genius? I am an Alum undergrad AND have an MBA...so we shall see won't we...right sunshine?

What a douche bag you are. That post certainly didn't warrant the type of response you wrote. I don't generally wish ill on people, so I'll just say I really hope you learn some tact and humility soon.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
KevinP wrote:

LawLucy wrote:Really genius? I am an Alum undergrad AND have an MBA...so we shall see won't we...right sunshine?

What a douche bag you are. That post certainly didn't warrant the type of response you wrote. I don't generally wish ill on people, so I'll just say I really hope you learn some tact and humility soon.

T E D I O U S

if you have nothing helpful to add, don't respond...period. I learned my 'tact' and 'humility' attending UW. LOL

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:34 pm

UW favors in-staters.

apostrophe29

Postby apostrophe29 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:06 am

I don't know about alum versus in-state applicants that went to a different school for undergrad, but just from an in-state perspective, 58% of the 2009 class was in-state. Now, that of course does not take into account how many out-of-state and how many in-state candidates applied, but I am guessing that it is a pretty close balance for those admitted.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I went back and looked over a list of students in my entering class and their respective universities. The numbers that I came up with were 39 students from UW and 38 students from other Washington schools. I may have missed one or two, but 77 out of 187 students came from a Washington school. My class obviously has more out-of-state applicants (although that does not take into account students like myself who went elsewhere for undergrad, but are still Washington residents), but according to the percentage posted above (taken from the UW law website), that is not always the case.
Last edited by apostrophe29 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerseyChris

Postby HerseyChris » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:13 am

It seems like they like in-staters more, since as a public school, they have to admit a certain number of in-staters.

Also, I cut mine down to 700 words and personalized it a bit.

Edit: Oh, and good luck on your UW app!

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:13 pm

I talked to the director of admissions and he informed me that residency is not a factor at all in admissions decision. Their web site used to state that they had a target percentage for WA residents but that has since been removed. The guy I talked to (matt was his name) said the residence statistics are simply a result of receiving a majority of applicants from in state. Though you never know - what people say and what people practice often is not the same. I could see the reasoning behind the state pressuring its schools to admit a certain number of residents.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”