Anyone from Tulane?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gwuorbust

Re: Anyone from Tulane?

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
peachmonkey wrote:I am a 1L at Tulane. I agree with other posters who suggest that if you know for sure that you want to work in the NY or DC markets, then go to school there. However, my experience at Tulane has been unparalleled. I love my class (there seem to be a much lower percentage of douchebags here than at other law schools), the school, and New Orleans is amazing. If you are taking your happiness into account at all, I would say go here. If you want to practice in the South, Tulane does very well in the market - some say even better than higher-ranked Bama. However, it comes with a hefty price tag. Not sure what kind of scholarships they are giving out this year, but I am on $10k/yr provided I keep a 3.0, and seeing as the new curve averages between 3.2 and 3.3, that shouldn't be too difficult to maintain.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

A few things:

1. You being happy /= to OP or anyone else being happy at Tulane. OP, and anyone else seriously considering Tulane or any other school should visit. You don't want to end up being stuck in a place you don't like for three years or more of your life.

2. I don't think 1L's really have the best perspective with regards to what really matters when choosing a school (job prospects). I'd suggest OP try hard to get into contact with some 2/3L's with different rankings to get a better picture of this.

3. I'm not really sure it's true that Tulane does much better than Bama in the South. At the most, I'd say Tulane may be marginally better...anecdotal evidence I have access to says it's probably the other way around though (i.e. Bama may be a bit better than Tulane when it comes to job placement in the South these days).

4. This is actually a question: Did Tulane not change the scholarship requirements when the curve changed?

New Orleans is a great city, it isn't for everyone though. Tulane is a good school, it's really expensive though. Look before you leap, acquire all the information you can and visit your top choices before you make a decision.

Not for us, since they changed it after the scholarships were already sent out (and some people, like myself, had already accepted). However, for the class of 2014 I could definitely see them bumping up the requirement to a 3.2 or 3.3

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Does Tulane place into the Texas market much?

seanps3

Postby seanps3 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 pm

I am a Tulane undergrad, and I will probably be going to Tulane Law School. The scholarship retention requirement is still 3.0 even with the new curve.

I got a full scholarship to Loyola, but after having visited I realized I didn't like it. I know Tulane is expensive, but I'd rather have debt and be happy than have no debt and feel unfulfilled or out of place. The schools are also vastly different.

I have a bunch of questions, but I'll just start with a few:

How expansive is the the exam bank? Is it helpful to peruse?

How do you juggle preparing for class by reading the casebook with preparing for the exam by using study aids (if you use them)? I just found out that preparing for class with the casebook is not (completely) conducive to preparing for the exam. Is this true, and is it a problem for you?

What are summer associate positions like for 1L's (i.e. paid/unpaid, locations, etc.)? Are there many openings for 1L's or 2L's in the Houston/Dallas/Austin markets? What percentage in the class should a student be to get a job at graduation at a large firm in a large market (assuming the economy improves)?

I know 1L's can't choose professors, but are there any I would want to avoid or hope to get?

schwar46

Postby schwar46 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 am

seanps3 wrote:What are summer associate positions like for 1L's (i.e. paid/unpaid, locations, etc.)? Are there many openings for 1L's or 2L's in the Houston/Dallas/Austin markets? What percentage in the class should a student be to get a job at graduation at a large firm in a large market (assuming the economy improves)?

I'm hoping someone answers this for me as well. I was recently admitted as a transfer and am interested in the TX markets.

Sounder89

Postby Sounder89 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:32 pm

I am a Tulane undergrad originally from the Northwest and I plan to go back there to practice law. So my question is how well does Tulane place its grads nationally, especially in smaller regional legal markets like Portland and Seattle? Tulane is pretty generous with scholarship money for law students who did their undergrad there as well, plus I would be eligible for the jd/mba program (I'll be graduating with a business degree this May). Would it be a better decision to take the jd/mba route with scholarship $$$ at Tulane or pay in-state tuition at UW-Seattle?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:59 pm

As for the whole gpa/rank thing, many students list their GPA's on the resumes and not their rank. While most employers will still request transcripts, as long as your GPA is above their floor for interviews - you are competitive regardless of rank. Most of the firms and other employers that I have encountered outside the NLJ250/fed gov are looking for at least 3.0.

jms1987 wrote:Does Tulane place into the Texas market much?

14% of the class of 2010 went there.

schwar46 wrote:
seanps3 wrote:What are summer associate positions like for 1L's (i.e. paid/unpaid, locations, etc.)? Are there many openings for 1L's or 2L's in the Houston/Dallas/Austin markets? What percentage in the class should a student be to get a job at graduation at a large firm in a large market (assuming the economy improves)?

I'm hoping someone answers this for me as well. I was recently admitted as a transfer and am interested in the TX markets.

Ah....I'm not familiar with 1L positions. You have to understand that the class 2010 had really rough, 2011 had it the worst, and 2012 will have it pretty bad (like 2010). This is true for all law schools. Regardless, the experiences some students had during these class years will not mirror those of students from the class of 2013 on.

A good amount of students end up in Texas, including a lot of 2Ls. What rank do you need? Top 20% will make you competitive for most things - before the economy became bad, some large firms would consider people down to top 33%.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”