UNC 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DeeCee

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Is there still a 1L in here taking questions?

Alyosha

Postby Alyosha » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm a 2L at UNC, and I'm procrastinating tonight like crazy. What's your question?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Alyosha wrote:I'm a 2L at UNC, and I'm procrastinating tonight like crazy. What's your question?

This might be a weird question.....but are there laptop requirements at UNC? Are you encouraged to buy a certain model or specs? I haven't seen anything like that on the website. I'm asking because I plan on buying a new laptop when I graduate from my current program in May.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Alyosha wrote:I'm a 2L at UNC, and I'm procrastinating tonight like crazy. What's your question?

This might be a weird question.....but are there laptop requirements at UNC? Are you encouraged to buy a certain model or specs? I haven't seen anything like that on the website. I'm asking because I plan on buying a new laptop when I graduate from my current program in May.

There are. I'll look around for them.

EDIT: Here they are.

Although the law school does not have a laptop requirement for students, there are a few specifications your laptop must meet in order to run EBB.

* If you are using a Windows-compatible laptop:
o You must be running either Windows Vista or Windows XP with SP2 installed (Home or Professional edition)
o You may NOT use Windows 2000, 98 or any earlier versions of Windows.
o You may NOT use any Windows emulation software, including VMWare, VirtualBox, etc., in combination with EBB. Using EBB while running any emulation software is a violation of the honor code.
* If you are using an Apple laptop:
o You must be using an Apple Macbook, MB Pro, or MB Air (i.e., an Intel-based Apple laptop); earlier models such as iBooks and PowerBooks are not supported.
o You may NOT use any Windows emulation software, including Parallels Desktop, VMWare, VirtualBox, etc., in combination with EBB. Using EBB while running any emulation software is a violation of the honor code.
* For all users:
o You must have an AC power adapter. Because School of Law exams can last longer than the life of a battery, you are required to plug in your laptop during exam taking. All classrooms have electrical outlets for this purpose.
o The laptop should be your own. The School of Law IT department has a limited number of loaner laptops available for student use. However, the school will only provide you with a loaner laptop to use during exams under extenuating circumstances, such as personal laptop failure or severe hardware/software problems.
o Your laptop must be registered for the campus UNC-1 or UNC-Secure wireless zones. Do NOT use the Tarheel zone. You can register your device(s) via http://onyen.unc.edu/ by scrolling towards the bottom of the page and clicking on "DHCP registration."
o You should disable any anti-spyware or firewall programs (e.g. ZoneAlarm, SpybotSD) you may have running on your computer before using EBB.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:08 pm

They really don't support Win 7? That's what my current laptop runs and what I imagine the new laptops will run. Maybe they will change that rule this summer....Do you have Windows 7?

EDIT: Also, thanks for that!!

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:13 pm

I have Win7 and the software works just fine for me. I'm not sure why it's not on the approved list, but I think no version from 2000 and below is what they mean to exclude. Also, no problem.

EDIT: Found more info on the same page I got that, not sure why they didn't update the bullet points though.

The UNC School of Law, like most law schools, uses secure software for the administration of exams. Electronic Bluebook (EBB) is the software currently in use. EBB runs natively on both Windows 7 & Vista (including 64-bit versions), XP and Apple's OS X operating system. The software is required for students who choose to type their exam answers.

EBB blocks access to all other applications while it is running, thereby reducing the risk of honor code violations for unauthorized access to materials on a laptop's hard drive. EBB also blocks access to the Internet. The software serves as a simplified word processor for essay responses, similar to Microsoft Word; once it begins, you can only work on the exam and cannot regain access to your files until you exit the exam.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm

OK great. This is great because I can pick out any new laptop I want.....I was hoping that UNC wasn't like some other schools where they really push for everyone to buy 1 of maybe 3 laptop choices through the school.

So I guess there are outlets at every seat in the classroom?

Also, what classes are you assigned 1L fall semester?

Thanks for entertaining my questions, hopefully I'm not being annoying.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:41 pm

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Also, what classes are you assigned 1L fall semester?

I'm not a 1L, obviously, Dee, but I called the registrar last week -- she said that the arrangement of classes is going to be a little different next year and that the three teams aren't going to be taking the same classes first and second semesters. She said they were busy registering 2L and 3L classes right now and didn't have the 1L schedule drawn up yet, but that they'll have it by.. late May or early June, I don't remember which. I also talked to the head of the writing center and he said that the legal writing classes are going to have about 20 people in each one, but the registrar seemed to think that there was a lab section and a bigger section to legal writing.. so, basically no one really knows yet, ha.

Yeah, I call and harass them a lot.

i'm sure someone knows this, maybe you do since you've called, but is legal writing pass/fail?

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:49 pm

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:53 pm

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Also, what classes are you assigned 1L fall semester?

I'm not a 1L, obviously, Dee, but I called the registrar last week -- she said that the arrangement of classes is going to be a little different next year and that the three teams aren't going to be taking the same classes first and second semesters. She said they were busy registering 2L and 3L classes right now and didn't have the 1L schedule drawn up yet, but that they'll have it by.. late May or early June, I don't remember which. I also talked to the head of the writing center and he said that the legal writing classes are going to have about 20 people in each one, but the registrar seemed to think that there was a lab section and a bigger section to legal writing.. so, basically no one really knows yet, ha.

Yeah, I call and harass them a lot.

i'm sure someone knows this, maybe you do since you've called, but is legal writing pass/fail?

Writing center guy said it was graded but not on a curve. I think he also said it wasn't worth as much credit as the other classes, but don't hold me to that last one.

As beccabea sort of hinted at, there is a major revamp of the first year curriculum in the works in order to make legal writing a 3 credit hour, graded course taught by full-time faculty. In the past, the writing class has been one hour of pass fail in the fall and three hours in the spring -- graded, but not curved -- and both fall and spring classes were taught by adjuncts. In order to increase the hours given to legal writing they're taking away some of the hours given to other core courses in the first year.

I don't really have anymore specifics than that. Because of the changes, current students are probably not going to be able to answer questions about what the writing courses will be like next year.

The move from adjuncts to full-time writing faculty should be a major improvement, though.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:08 pm

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:19 pm

beccabea wrote:
TarHeel11 wrote:As beccabea sort of hinted at, there is a major revamp of the first year curriculum in the works in order to make legal writing a 3 credit hour, graded course taught by full-time faculty. In the past, the writing class has been one hour of pass fail in the fall and three hours in the spring -- graded, but not curved -- and both fall and spring classes were taught by adjuncts. In order to increase the hours given to legal writing they're taking away some of the hours given to other core courses in the first year.

I don't really have anymore specifics than that. Because of the changes, current students are probably not going to be able to answer questions about what the writing courses will be like next year.

The move from adjuncts to full-time writing faculty should be a major improvement, though.

Oh okay, yeah, I knew he said something about "less credit" somewhere in there, but I didn't remember which classes he was referring to. Seems like having a non-curved class take up more credit hours will help our grades out, no?

Moving back to the computer discussion, does it seem like a noticeable percentage of students have a certain type of computer? When I sat in on a class at UGA I swear 80% of them had MacBook Pros, but some of them told me that they had since decided MacBooks weren't ideal for law school because of some conflicts with Lexus Nexus. Plus I don't really want to shell out $1300+ for a laptop. I've also heard several people suggest Lenovo or Asus, but I'm eying a Toshiba Portege because it's super-lightweight without being a netbook.

When I started they were using a different exam software that didn't work as well with Macs, so I think fewer students in my year probably have Macs. I've never paid a ton of attention though.

I bought a Lenovo through the Carolina Computing Initiative. I could've saved maybe $200 on the same computer at a regular store and I might have been able to find a perfectly useful computer for even less. But I'm glad I bought mine through CCI because I've had multiple hardware issues while in law school. Taking the computer over to the undergrad library, dropping it off to be fixed for free and picking up a loaner, is a heck of a lot more convenient than going through a store's warranty repair program. And several of the repairs I've needed I'm 99.9% sure that a store would have told me weren't covered under the warranty. Like when my laptop fell out of a chair and the impact toasted the hard drive. CCI just replaced it without any complaints/cost. In the end, I'm happy with the decision.

Lots of people who went to Carolina for undergrad have the Lenovo laptops from CCI, I assume from their undergrad days or being happy with the experience, so that's probably the computer you see most.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 pm

beccabea wrote:
TarHeel11 wrote:As beccabea sort of hinted at, there is a major revamp of the first year curriculum in the works in order to make legal writing a 3 credit hour, graded course taught by full-time faculty. In the past, the writing class has been one hour of pass fail in the fall and three hours in the spring -- graded, but not curved -- and both fall and spring classes were taught by adjuncts. In order to increase the hours given to legal writing they're taking away some of the hours given to other core courses in the first year.

Oh okay, yeah, I knew he said something about "less credit" somewhere in there, but I didn't remember which classes he was referring to. Seems like having a non-curved class take up more credit hours will help our grades out, no?

Moving back to the computer discussion, does it seem like a noticeable percentage of students have a certain type of computer? When I sat in on a class at UGA I swear 80% of them had MacBook Pros, but some of them told me that they had since decided MacBooks weren't ideal for law school because of some conflicts with Lexus Nexus. Plus I don't really want to shell out $1300+ for a laptop. I've also heard several people suggest Lenovo or Asus, but I'm eying a Toshiba Portege because it's super-lightweight without being a netbook.

Wow, I didn't know they were changing everything! My writing Profs have been adjuncts, but I'm not sure a full time prof could get much better than the level of the adjuncts. I've had a biglaw associate and an appeals court clerk for mine, and suffice it to say they knew what they were doing (I probably just gave myself away since the sections are so small lol).

As for laptops, you can have anything you want. I've seen people in class with ten year old phonebook looking laptops, netbooks, my $400 laptop, all the way up to touch screen laptop/tablet combos, even saw one guy with an ipad and portable keypad (the ipad was not on the exam, just in class).

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:25 pm

IhateFoxHunting wrote:Wow, I didn't know they were changing everything! My writing Profs have been adjuncts, but I'm not sure a full time prof could get much better than the level of the adjuncts. I've had a biglaw associate and an appeals court clerk for mine, and suffice it to say they knew what they were doing (I probably just gave myself away since the sections are so small lol).

One of the adjuncts I had was beyond horrific. That's part of the problem with using adjuncts to teach that many sections of a course: the quality is all over the place. Also, there's no guarantee that just because someone's job requires them to be a good legal writer that they'll have any inkling of how to teach someone else to write well. It really should be a major improvement in the overall quality of the program.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:39 pm

TarHeel11 wrote:
IhateFoxHunting wrote:Wow, I didn't know they were changing everything! My writing Profs have been adjuncts, but I'm not sure a full time prof could get much better than the level of the adjuncts. I've had a biglaw associate and an appeals court clerk for mine, and suffice it to say they knew what they were doing (I probably just gave myself away since the sections are so small lol).

One of the adjuncts I had was beyond horrific. That's part of the problem with using adjuncts to teach that many sections of a course: the quality is all over the place. Also, there's no guarantee that just because someone's job requires them to be a good legal writer that they'll have any inkling of how to teach someone else to write well. It really should be a major improvement in the overall quality of the program.

I could say the same thing about a few of the regular faculty lol. :)

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 pm

DeeCee wrote:So I guess there are outlets at every seat in the classroom?

I'm quoting my questions from earlier since I think I sidetracked by asking the legal writing question. Based on all the computer responses ITT I'm going to go with there being an outlet for each student.

Also, that kind of sucks that legal writing is not pass/fail.....sounds like a class that will be a ton of work, but it is what it is. Also, although I am not in law school I know what you mean about adjuncts. They can either be valuable in the unique experience they bring to the table, or they can be terrible. I can specifically recall one time having a county commissioner as an adjunct for a political science class at my UG. The guy was ridiculously off-topic and only talked about being a county commissioner, rather than what the class was about, so I ended up dropping the class.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:00 pm

DeeCee wrote:
DeeCee wrote:So I guess there are outlets at every seat in the classroom?

I'm quoting my questions from earlier since I think I sidetracked by asking the legal writing question. Based on all the computer responses ITT I'm going to go with there being an outlet for each student.

Also, that kind of sucks that legal writing is not pass/fail.....sounds like a class that will be a ton of work, but it is what it is. Also, although I am not in law school I know what you mean about adjuncts. They can either be valuable in the unique experience they bring to the table, or they can be terrible. I can specifically recall one time having a county commissioner as an adjunct for a political science class at my UG. The guy was ridiculously off-topic and only talked about being a county commissioner, rather than what the class was about, so I ended up dropping the class.

I don't know that I'd say there is an outlet for every seat. In some of the small classrooms there are wall outlets and there's not always one convenient. But in the large classrooms where the majority of your classes will be there are strips along the front of the desks and more than enough outlets.

As I said before, the first year curriculum is undergoing a major overhaul, so the classes we were assigned for the fall may not be the same ones that next year's incoming students get. But I had Property, Torts, Civil Procedure and RRWA (legal writing) in the fall my first year.

I've had some adjuncts in law school who were phenomenal, one that was mediocre and one that was awful. I've also been an adjunct for undergraduate courses and now that they often don't have the same kind of support as regular professors. I think for some courses it's completely appropriate to use adjuncts, but for the legal writing program with everyone broken into small groups so you need a bunch of adjuncts, it doesn't make sense. The quality for a foundational course is going to be all over the map.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks, guys. :]

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm still trying to figure out the laptop stuff -- do you guys know if people have had trouble trying to use LexusNexus or WestLaw on a MacBook? Or any problems in general with using Macbooks at law school? I remember somebody from UGA telling me that there was some citation tool on Lexus that didn't work with MacBooks. I want this to not be true. :[

gdizz01

Postby gdizz01 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Hey guys thanks for taking questions. I've got a few myself:

1. Can anyone specifically name any pre-furnished apartments (rather than just neighborhoods where they can be found)? I come from a land far away and couldn't imagine bringing my stuff.

2. A lot of people here seem to say a lot of stuff along the lines of "biglaw is difficult, but I don't care because I don't want biglaw." Is there anyone here on a biglaw track that can comment on their experiences, OCI, availability of 1L/2L internships in a corporate field, and placement into large firms in primary markets? Does anyone have any information as to rep among large NYC firms?

3. Someone said that there are no class ranks. So what do you have, just grades with nothing to relate them to? Is there any system at all one can use to compare themselves to others? I'm not a gunner, but as I said am interested in large corporate work and clerkships, and obviously rankings are important to corporate firms and judges, so they have to be important to me by default.

4. To the prospectives: stop whining about whatever scholarship you got not being enough. I'm turning down full rides or near full rides at a number of T1 and T2's to attend UNC because I like the school a whole lot better. I have above 75th percentile numbers and lots of other great stuff, am out of state, and they didn't give me a dollar, so don't be spoiled and be happy with what you get.

5. Finally, since so many people have talked so much about how PI the school is, if any current students here who are heavy into corporate would be willing to talk with me more and tell me more about the programs and opportunities available at unc, please pm me andI'd be happy to carry on a brief convo over e-mail or another media. Thanks so much guys, and looking forward to getting down there in august!!!

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 pm

beccabea wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the laptop stuff -- do you guys know if people have had trouble trying to use LexusNexus or WestLaw on a MacBook? Or any problems in general with using Macbooks at law school? I remember somebody from UGA telling me that there was some citation tool on Lexus that didn't work with MacBooks. I want this to not be true. :[

Not ignoring you, but I'm a PC :) Have to wait on someone else.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:11 pm

gdizz01 wrote:2. A lot of people here seem to say a lot of stuff along the lines of "biglaw is difficult, but I don't care because I don't want biglaw." Is there anyone here on a biglaw track that can comment on their experiences, OCI, availability of 1L/2L internships in a corporate field, and placement into large firms in primary markets? Does anyone have any information as to rep among large NYC firms?
At OCI a most of the jobs were PI related, although I do remember a few big law firms were on the list. Hopefully someone who is interested in Big Law jumps on here to answer this for you.

3. Someone said that there are no class ranks. So what do you have, just grades with nothing to relate them to? Is there any system at all one can use to compare themselves to others? I'm not a gunner, but as I said am interested in large corporate work and clerkships, and obviously rankings are important to corporate firms and judges, so they have to be important to me by default.
Don't take this for gospel, but I believe that the top 10 students get their individual rank. After that the grade cutoffs for the top 10%, top 30% and top 50% are posted.

Sorry, I was only able to answer a few of the questions.

ZeroEll

Postby ZeroEll » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 pm

IhateFoxHunting wrote:
beccabea wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the laptop stuff -- do you guys know if people have had trouble trying to use LexusNexus or WestLaw on a MacBook? Or any problems in general with using Macbooks at law school? I remember somebody from UGA telling me that there was some citation tool on Lexus that didn't work with MacBooks. I want this to not be true. :[

Not ignoring you, but I'm a PC :) Have to wait on someone else.

I'm a Mac. The only problem I have had is with Lexis. The actual research/site is seamless, but there is a plug-in for Word (Lexis for Word) that is weird on a Mac. It is technically compatible, but it is so awkward that I don't ever use it. But, if you wanted to spend an hour or two learning it, it would technically work with a Mac.

Otherwise, everything is completely fine, including the exam software. I would guess that around 50% of students use a Mac.

jmm736

Postby jmm736 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:45 pm

IhateFoxHunting wrote:
gdizz01 wrote:2. A lot of people here seem to say a lot of stuff along the lines of "biglaw is difficult, but I don't care because I don't want biglaw." Is there anyone here on a biglaw track that can comment on their experiences, OCI, availability of 1L/2L internships in a corporate field, and placement into large firms in primary markets? Does anyone have any information as to rep among large NYC firms?
At OCI a most of the jobs were PI related, although I do remember a few big law firms were on the list. Hopefully someone who is interested in Big Law jumps on here to answer this for you.

Don't take this for gospel, but I believe that the top 10 students get their individual rank. After that the grade cutoffs for the top 10%, top 30% and top 50% are posted.

Sorry, I was only able to answer a few of the questions.

This page on the UNC site has more information about the grading policies: http://www.law.unc.edu/academics/polici ... fault.aspx

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”