UNC 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:09 am

SupraVln180 wrote:I have a bigger scholly at UNC, which is only going to cost me 6-7K/Year and Notre Dame which I believe is going to cost me 29K/Year. However, COL is cheaper in South Bend so I have to take that into consideration as well. Thanks for the stats Becca, but in all honestly Notre Dame seems to be way more national than UNC, I really want to be able to choose where I want to work (whether it be NY, LA or DC). My girlfriend is in public relations and she works in NYC now, but if she transferred, PR only exists in big cities (so Charlotte isn't an option).

I am Catholic and a pretty spiritual dude, so I actually like that religion is a part of life at Notre Dame. For the sex thing, I am in a serious relationship, so there will not be any fucking at Notre Dame (unless my gf comes to visit obviously) But the honor code is not something I am to concerned with. I am going to South Bend next week, I will keep you guys updated. But if they give me a little more $$$, which I am trying to negotiate and I like the visit, I'll probably be at Notre Dame. If either of those two things don't happen, I will be at UNC.


If I get into Cornell or U Michigan, I am going there though. I have to admit I am still a bit salty at UNC for not getting the full ride. I honestly am very personable and a great interviewer, I know they didn't give it to me because my numbers are low. I am bitter as hell, but at least I admit it.


Well, whatever you choose I'm sure it will be a great choice. ND has a good national reputation, and if the school fits with your spiritual values that's a great thing, too. I think you should go to Michigan over UNC/ND any day, the prospects are much more amazing there. I personally wasn't keen on Cornell, mainly because they have the highest tuition of any school in the nation (from my 2010 US News book). I feel like Cornell is seriously into biglaw, and that coupled with sky-high tuition turns me off. However, Cornell does have a decent rep too.

Anyway, you shouldn't let the UNC thing put a chip on your shoulder......maybe you can negotiate since some of the full-scholly recipients probably won't attend. I'm extremely debt-averse so honestly, money would drive my decision to attend almost any T1 school short of Yale/Harvard. Let us know about ND when you find out more!

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby beccabea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 am

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:51 am

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:If I get into Cornell or U Michigan, I am going there though. I have to admit I am still a bit salty at UNC for not getting the full ride. I honestly am very personable and a great interviewer, I know they didn't give it to me because my numbers are low. I am bitter as hell, but at least I admit it.


Bit of a paradox to brag about being personable, though, don't you think?


No.

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby PDL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:09 am

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IhateFoxHunting
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:11 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:If I get into Cornell or U Michigan, I am going there though. I have to admit I am still a bit salty at UNC for not getting the full ride. I honestly am very personable and a great interviewer, I know they didn't give it to me because my numbers are low. I am bitter as hell, but at least I admit it.


Bit of a paradox to brag about being personable, though, don't you think?


No.


Maybe it's because it's typed and I can't judge your tone, but maybe a sense of entitlement had something to do with it? Your credentials seem impressive. However, Carolina does look at far more than numbers, and you obviously have more of whatever it is they are looking for than I do, because you got some money from UNC while I got nothing from them! I wouldn't be that salty about it. A super majority of people at UNC get no merit aid whatsoever, so take some comfort that you stood out above most. Best of luck in your visit to ND, and I hope things turn out in a way that makes you happy. Best of luck.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 am

IhateFoxHunting wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:If I get into Cornell or U Michigan, I am going there though. I have to admit I am still a bit salty at UNC for not getting the full ride. I honestly am very personable and a great interviewer, I know they didn't give it to me because my numbers are low. I am bitter as hell, but at least I admit it.


Bit of a paradox to brag about being personable, though, don't you think?


No.


Maybe it's because it's typed and I can't judge your tone, but maybe a sense of entitlement had something to do with it? Your credentials seem impressive. However, Carolina does look at far more than numbers, and you obviously have more of whatever it is they are looking for than I do, because you got some money from UNC while I got nothing from them! I wouldn't be that salty about it. A super majority of people at UNC get no merit aid whatsoever, so take some comfort that you stood out above most. Best of luck in your visit to ND, and I hope things turn out in a way that makes you happy. Best of luck.



I don't feel entitled at all. However, Dean States tried to stress that numbers didn't matter once we were a finalist (Becca should be able to back me up on this) however, they seemed to matter when picking the actual scholars. I just felt like they shouldn't of made me pay $$$ to get myself down there then not give me it, when they never were. Honestly, at this point I don't care, I will graduate debt free from UNC anyway if I attend. But unless UNC wows me at ASW, I am really thinking about "taking my talents to South Bend".

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 am

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:33 am

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I don't feel entitled at all. However, Dean States tried to stress that numbers didn't matter once we were a finalist (Becca should be able to back me up on this) however, they seemed to matter when picking the actual scholars. I just felt like they shouldn't of made me pay $$$ to get myself down there then not give me it, when they never were. Honestly, at this point I don't care, I will graduate debt free from UNC anyway if I attend. But unless UNC wows me at ASW, I am really thinking about "taking my talents to South Bend".


You keep telling yourself that UNC made all the decisions based on numbers, Supra, and I just don't agree with you. They wouldn't have invited you and spent money to feed you and your guest and put you up in a very nice hotel if they never wanted to give you the scholarship. Public schools don't have the money to do things like that. As far as I know, the only evidence you have that the scholarships didn't go to those with lower numbers is yourself and me, and while I don't have a smashing LSAT, I have a pretty damn good GPA. I think it's insulting to the people that did get the scholarship that you keep harping on about them only getting it because of their numbers. I've just accepted that I'm not good at interviewing and resolved to improve that while at law school. Now maybe it's time for you to consider that while you may think you're the shit, other people don't necessarily feel that way. IHateFoxHunting and I aren't the only ones to whom you've come off as acting entitled, that I can tell you.


You wrote all that for no reason. I don't think I am the shit, I thought I had a good interview. As for them paying for my hotel and a meal, they put me up at a hotel but I still had to pay $500 for a plane ride last minute to Raleigh. Like I said, my numbers were the lowest out of everyone there, so I get why I didn't get the full ride, but I think they shouldn't of told us numbers didn't matter once we were finalists. Yes, Becca you have way better numbers than me, but you even said you are socially awkward and don't interview well. No disrespect, but I agree with you. So you might of not gotten the full ride for different reasons.

All I am saying is that I know my numbers were too low to get the full ride. However, everyone who got the scholarship is well deserving of the $$$ because they killed the LSAT and did well in undergrad. I am not taking anything away from them. I'm done with this issue, I feel how I feel and that's it. Sorry if anyone was offended by my comments about the scholarship, I was venting more than attacking those who received the scholarship.

EDIT: And that last line of my previous post was a LeBron reference if anyone got it, Becca obviously didn't.

User avatar
fish tacos
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby fish tacos » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 am

Dude every one of your posts is either about how you know Dean States, how you were a Chancellor's finalist, or how you know and love Franklin Street/Top of the Hill after your one weekend here. You definitely come off as entitled, and in my opinion are trying (failing) to sound elitist. Seriously, check your post history in threads relating to UNC.... you name drop in an absurd amount of them. I was also a finalist and did not receive the full ride, but I'm not on here bashing Carolina for treating me to a weekend and offering a stipulation-free 75% scholarship. I'm sorry you didn't win the full award, but maybe you aren't quite as personable as you think. I also doubt your essays were as "beastly" as you claim in another post when I see quite a bit of "could ofs," "should ofs," and "definetlys" in what you write.

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby PDL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:03 am

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IhateFoxHunting
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:11 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:35 am

FYI, it's going to be in the 80's and sunny here today, yet I believe it's snowing up North :)

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:36 am

fish tacos wrote:Dude every one of your posts is either about how you know Dean States, how you were a Chancellor's finalist, or how you know and love Franklin Street/Top of the Hill after your one weekend here. You definitely come off as entitled, and in my opinion are trying (failing) to sound elitist. Seriously, check your post history in threads relating to UNC.... you name drop in an absurd amount of them. I was also a finalist and did not receive the full ride, but I'm not on here bashing Carolina for treating me to a weekend and offering a stipulation-free 75% scholarship. I'm sorry you didn't win the full award, but maybe you aren't quite as personable as you think. I also doubt your essays were as "beastly" as you claim in another post when I see quite a bit of "could ofs," "should ofs," and "definetlys" in what you write.


Lol noone is name dropping, if you look carefully in my post history, I only mention Dean States when he is already brought up and I feel I can add my input to people waiting on acceptances or whatever. And no doubt I had a fun time in NC for a weekend, UNC has a great atmosphere (which I never said it didn't) and is a gorgeous school. Without a doubt all the above is true. I never bashed Carolina as a school, I've said over and over UNC is a great school. If you look at posts in other threads besides this, I also endorse UNC. Noone is hating on the school at all. All I commented on was how the scholars were picked. I wasn't even trying to make a big deal about it in my last post but everyone is all over me based off my comment, so I felt like I had to explain myself.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 am

And I hope we are all at the 8th ASW, so we can do this in person. :lol:

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 am

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby PDL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby DeeCee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm

PDL wrote:annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd boom goes the dynamite.


This. Also, definitely not getting involved in these disagreements as that's not my business and I haven't met you guys.
Anyway, I registered for the April 8th ASD so it's official! Wonder how IRL will go.......

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:46 pm

PDL wrote:Just like Lebron turned himself into the villain of the league, SupraVin turned himself into the villian of this thread.


Pretty much. But my username isn't SupraVin, it is SupraVLN, as in SupraVillain. So the name is fitting.

( I should actually change the formatting of my name though, so it reads more like SupraVillain though.)
Last edited by SupraVln180 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 pm

beccabea wrote:
I was a finalist, but I wasn't selected as an actual CS (due at least in part to the fact that whenever I interview/give a presentation in front of a group of people, I tend to blank out and spew word-vomit). The full ride from W&L requires that I maintain a 3.25 and the 75% from UNC just requires that I not fail out. Actually, thanks for that, I'm now adding it to my handwritten list of pros and cons. :]



beccabea wrote:
Oh, give us a break, PDL.. it never feels good to be rejected for anything. And again, given my history of being incredibly socially awkward during interviews, I didn't really expect it. I'm still really excited about the scholarship we did get, though. Also, being a Chancellor's Scholar probably means people have really high expectations of you. Now I can just sit back and be the non-gunner that I am. :]


I am in no position to call you anything. You are right. But you said it, not me. And I was talking in the context of an interview, not in life. (Just to clear that up)

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:11 pm

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote: Yes, Becca you have way better numbers than me, but you even said you are socially awkward and don't interview well. No disrespect, but I agree with you. So you might of not gotten the full ride for different reasons.


If you were only talking about interviews, how would you know?


Thought I made that clear. I'm not on a message board to personally attack you, if it came off that way, I apologize. Regardless, I'm done arguing on here. I do not dislike UNC. It is a wonderful school, I may end up there. No hate, I just like to say what's on my mind, both IRL and on TLS, sorry if anyone was offended. Believe me nothing I say (especially on here) is meant to be taken personal.

User avatar
predent/prelaw
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm

fish tacos wrote:Dude every one of your posts is either about how you know Dean States, how you were a Chancellor's finalist, or how you know and love Franklin Street/Top of the Hill after your one weekend here. You definitely come off as entitled, and in my opinion are trying (failing) to sound elitist. Seriously, check your post history in threads relating to UNC.... you name drop in an absurd amount of them. I was also a finalist and did not receive the full ride, but I'm not on here bashing Carolina for treating me to a weekend and offering a stipulation-free 75% scholarship. I'm sorry you didn't win the full award, but maybe you aren't quite as personable as you think. I also doubt your essays were as "beastly" as you claim in another post when I see quite a bit of "could ofs," "should ofs," and "definetlys" in what you write.


99% of UNC students are this

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby PDL » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:44 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:
fish tacos wrote:Dude every one of your posts is either about how you know Dean States, how you were a Chancellor's finalist, or how you know and love Franklin Street/Top of the Hill after your one weekend here. You definitely come off as entitled, and in my opinion are trying (failing) to sound elitist. Seriously, check your post history in threads relating to UNC.... you name drop in an absurd amount of them. I was also a finalist and did not receive the full ride, but I'm not on here bashing Carolina for treating me to a weekend and offering a stipulation-free 75% scholarship. I'm sorry you didn't win the full award, but maybe you aren't quite as personable as you think. I also doubt your essays were as "beastly" as you claim in another post when I see quite a bit of "could ofs," "should ofs," and "definetlys" in what you write.


99% of UNC students are this


What's your problem, dookadook?

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Whoa, drama in this thread.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:53 pm

innernetp wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
fish tacos wrote:Dude every one of your posts is either about how you know Dean States, how you were a Chancellor's finalist, or how you know and love Franklin Street/Top of the Hill after your one weekend here. You definitely come off as entitled, and in my opinion are trying (failing) to sound elitist. Seriously, check your post history in threads relating to UNC.... you name drop in an absurd amount of them. I was also a finalist and did not receive the full ride, but I'm not on here bashing Carolina for treating me to a weekend and offering a stipulation-free 75% scholarship. I'm sorry you didn't win the full award, but maybe you aren't quite as personable as you think. I also doubt your essays were as "beastly" as you claim in another post when I see quite a bit of "could ofs," "should ofs," and "definetlys" in what you write.


99% of UNC students are this


What's your problem, dookadook?


Haters gonna hate.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shineoncrazydiamond and 5 guests