UNC 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beccabea

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 pm

beccabea wrote:If I stopped a random student in the hall (not during the month before exams, obviously), do you think it's more than likely that he/she would say that he/she was happy at UNC? I feel like I'm choosing between schools which are pretty much academic equals and that I'm just picking social scenes now.

I would be shocked if you found more than 1 or 2 in the entire school. I have never heard a single soul mention any sort of distaste for UNC (gripes about parking yes, but not unhappy with attending UNC). I think we only have 1 or 2 students transfer out per year, so take what you want from that.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

beccabea wrote:That's great to hear. :] W&L (the school that is competing somewhat with UNC for my affection) has about 15 people leave after 1L, which is a ton considering they only have ~135 people in each class, and that really freaked me out.

Becca, why are you considering W&L? Must be the mass mailings.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Finally found out about this thread via the UNC 2011 Applicants thread. Tagging.

Also, is it a good idea to live where everyone else lives, apartment-wise? I know this sounds like a strange question, but in my current grad program none of us live near each other and we still all go out together every Friday night (there are only 15 of us in each year's class, so you get the picture). I didn't know if it was the culture of the law school that people live near one another, and if this is something I should be thinking about when I begin to look for an apartment.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

beccabea wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:Becca, why are you considering W&L? Must be the mass mailings.

It's because I went up there this weekend for an ASW and I was really impressed by their sense of comradery, the Honor Code, their class size, their study areas, and the fact that they gave me a full ride. But I was also freaked out by the minuscule size of Lexington and the fact that the only other people in the town seem to be undergrads and VMI cadets (there are literally no other graduate programs), scared that I would start feeling stifled there (like a lot of students apparently do by their 2L), and kind of bummed about the lack of decent football or basketball teams. That I'm so unsure whether I'd like it or not coupled with the number of people that end up transferring out are kind of nudging me in the direction of "What are you thinking?" And I totally haven't read the mass mailings.

Fair enough. It seems that W&L and UNC are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the lifestyles offered to students. If I remember correctly you are a Chancellor's Scholar and I'm curious what the stips are on that compared to W&L's full ride and if that factors in.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
Fair enough. It seems that W&L and UNC are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the lifestyles offered to students. If I remember correctly you are a Chancellor's Scholar and I'm curious what the stips are on that compared to W&L's full ride and if that factors in.

I agree. I know that I personally would not be happy living in a rural area for law school, but it could be a change of pace that you might enjoy, as most lawyers end up working in cities after they graduate.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 pm

beccabea wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:Fair enough. It seems that W&L and UNC are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the lifestyles offered to students. If I remember correctly you are a Chancellor's Scholar and I'm curious what the stips are on that compared to W&L's full ride and if that factors in.

I was a finalist, but I wasn't selected as an actual CS (due at least partly in fact that whenever I interview/give a presentation in front of a group of people, I tend to blank out and just spew word-vomit). The full ride from W&L requires that I maintain a 3.25 (?) and the 75% from UNC just requires that I not fail out. Actually, thanks for that, I'm now adding it to my handwritten list of pros and cons. :]

I was thinking that might be the case. I got 60k from W&L with a 3.15 stip. Considering I'm in-state, and even if I have to pay sticker at UNC it is still cheaper than W&L - and guaranteed.

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:29 pm

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:24 am

predent/prelaw wrote:troll.jpg

nobody cares.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

W&L was my in my top 3 for just about every reason you mentioned. You have some tough choices to make. I know that I dreaded the deposit deadlines in the worst way lol. Best of luck.

IhateFoxHunting

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:59 am

DeeCee wrote:Finally found out about this thread via the UNC 2011 Applicants thread. Tagging.

Also, is it a good idea to live where everyone else lives, apartment-wise? I know this sounds like a strange question, but in my current grad program none of us live near each other and we still all go out together every Friday night (there are only 15 of us in each year's class, so you get the picture). I didn't know if it was the culture of the law school that people live near one another, and if this is something I should be thinking about when I begin to look for an apartment.

I don't think you need to live in the same apartment complex, but definitely in the Carborro/Chapel Hill area. There are quite a few of us that live in a minimum of 30 minutes out, and there is only 1 that I can think of that goes out of their way to make a lot of the gatherings.

I would join the class facebook page if you are interested in a room mate, not only with other 1L's, but upcoming 2 and 3L's will be trying to replace the outgoing 3L's that are moving out.

PDL

Postby PDL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 am

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 am

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:27 pm

My decision has come down to Notre Dame(36K over 3 years) and UNC (75% tuition). Do you think the national prospects of NDLS justify the extra money in debt? I really don't want to be stuck in NC forever.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:My decision has come down to Notre Dame(36K over 3 years) and UNC (75% tuition). Do you think the national prospects of NDLS justify the extra money in debt? I really don't want to be stuck in NC forever.

Come to UNC! It'll be a great 3 years. :D

But seriously, I think both schools are about equivalent for what you want. Which is cheaper, UNC? You could go with price first, and definitely visit each school and the surrounding town to make sure you like the feeling of being there for a while. Also, not sure if this matters but UNC is public, non-religious, and PI oriented. Notre Dame is private and Catholic, and I'm not sure if Catholic identity or influence is a big at ND or not. For me, I'm not religious, so I would attend a school that did not make me sign a specific religious honor code or anything like that. I'm not saying ND does this, but it's something to consider and make a choice on based on your core beliefs.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Last edited by DeeCee on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:27 pm

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote: Notre Dame is private and Catholic, and I'm not sure if Catholic identity or influence is a big at ND or not. For me, I'm not religious, so I would attend a school that did not make me sign a specific religious honor code or anything like that. I'm not saying ND does this, but it's something to consider and make a choice on based on your core beliefs.

lol. Make sure they won't kick you out for using a condom or something.

LOL, I'm undergrad at ND, and I just thought would be funny to add that you can be kicked out of the dorms for being caught having sex. It's nothing for law students to worry about though.

Eh and religion isn't that big of deal here if you don't make it. It's pretty inescapable because the images are everywhere on campus and even in the classrooms, but I'm not religious and have never felt uncomfortable due to the religious influence.

That being said I've been accepted into ND with a scholarship, and would head to UNC in a second if they offer me an equal scholarship.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 am

I have a bigger scholly at UNC, which is only going to cost me 6-7K/Year and Notre Dame which I believe is going to cost me 29K/Year. However, COL is cheaper in South Bend so I have to take that into consideration as well. Thanks for the stats Becca, but in all honestly Notre Dame seems to be way more national than UNC, I really want to be able to choose where I want to work (whether it be NY, LA or DC). My girlfriend is in public relations and she works in NYC now, but if she transferred, PR only exists in big cities (so Charlotte isn't an option).

I am Catholic and a pretty spiritual dude, so I actually like that religion is a part of life at Notre Dame. For the sex thing, I am in a serious relationship, so there will not be any fucking at Notre Dame (unless my gf comes to visit obviously) But the honor code is not something I am to concerned with. I am going to South Bend next week, I will keep you guys updated. But if they give me a little more $$$, which I am trying to negotiate and I like the visit, I'll probably be at Notre Dame. If either of those two things don't happen, I will be at UNC.

If I get into Cornell or U Michigan, I am going there though. I have to admit I am still a bit salty at UNC for not getting the full ride. I honestly am very personable and a great interviewer, I know they didn't give it to me because my numbers are low. I am bitter as hell, but at least I admit it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”