UNC 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
IhateFoxHunting

New

Re: UNC 1L taking questions

Post by IhateFoxHunting » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm

PDL wrote:To your knowledge, is UNC generous with scholarships?
I think URM's get most of the scholarship money. The tuition is fairly cheap compared to other schools in the 25-35 range even when you factor in merit aid you will get other places; provided that you are a NC resident that is.

Also, I'm in the best College, which we all know to be B :)

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm

How do incoming students get sorted into the two colleges? Is it alphabetical or just random...

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:02 pm

dddhhh wrote:How do incoming students get sorted into the two colleges? Is it alphabetical or just random...
sorting hat.

landlocked

New

Post by landlocked » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:03 am

dddhhh wrote:How do incoming students get sorted into the two colleges? Is it alphabetical or just random...
Hi there, another UNC 1L here (avoiding studying for my last exam).

There are three colleges and it seems to be completely random. I do know that supposedly all the classified "international students" are grouped together in one college.

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:29 am

It's not random. They try to balance the number of non-trads, URMs, etc., etc. across the colleges so that each has a relatively similar in makeup.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 am

PDL wrote:Does UNC have midterms or is there simply a final exam?
One section did. But it was from a visiting professor, and only worth 10% of the grade. Most professors give out optional practice exams that they grade, or provide a sample answer for you to look off.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:11 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 am

who is the gunner?

:)

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:07 am

PDL wrote:Where do the majority of law students live? I've heard Meadowmont is a big with grad students.
Some people live in Meadowmont, though that is too expensive for my current sensibilities. Others live in Glen Lennox, or one of the numerous apartment complexes along MLK, like Timberhollow, or Shadowood. Some also rent houses around the Law school/Ridge road area etc. I do not believe there is a majority anywhere and where people live generally depends on their preferences for cost, transportation/location and amenities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Merr wrote:
PDL wrote:Where do the majority of law students live? I've heard Meadowmont is a big with grad students.
Some people live in Meadowmont, though that is too expensive for my current sensibilities. Others live in Glen Lennox, or one of the numerous apartment complexes along MLK, like Timberhollow, or Shadowood. Some also rent houses around the Law school/Ridge road area etc. I do not believe there is a majority anywhere and where people live generally depends on their preferences for cost, transportation/location and amenities.
If I get accepted, and that's a big IF since I am OOS...is a car absolutely necessary?

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:13 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
If I get accepted, and that's a big IF since I am OOS...is a car absolutely necessary?
Nope, depending on where you live. For example, the town bus I take stops right outside my apartment complex and takes me to about a block away from the law school. The town buses are free and run all over town during the day with fewer routes running into the night. They usually show up at 15min, 30min, or 1hour intervals. I personally think they are quite convenient, but there are others that will likely disagree.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Merr wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Nope, depending on where you live. For example, the town bus I take stops right outside my apartment complex and takes me to about a block away from the law school. The town buses are free and run all over town during the day with fewer routes running into the night. They usually show up at 15min, 30min, or 1hour intervals. I personally think they are quite convenient, but there are others that will likely disagree.
On the tour I took, the guide said 1Ls aren't allowed to get a parking pass. The nearest pay lot I remember is the Rams Head lot which isn't that close to the building.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 pm

ran12 wrote:
On the tour I took, the guide said 1Ls aren't allowed to get a parking pass. The nearest pay lot I remember is the Rams Head lot which isn't that close to the building.
That is mostly true, some 1Ls can get hardship passes, but that is for very special circumstances and quite rare so don't expect to get one. Often people who drive will park at the Friday Center park and ride and take the FCX to the law school.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:28 pm

UNC undergrad here. The bus system is wonderful. It's FREE, and fairly dependable. There are plenty of routes that stop by all the major apartment complexes. There is also a huge selection of houses near campus to rent if you don't mind a bit of a walk and a possible undergrad atmosphere surrounding you. But all in all, there are a lot of choices.

Just get used to walking anyway. Parking at UNC really sucks, and this is not an exaggeration. So many tickets....

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:37 pm

UNC undergrad is filled with stuck up bigoted southern heritage fools who think their school is better than Harvard or Yale but who are actually southern ivy rejects. When talking to a UNC fool you must never speak of Duke or their head will explode with jealousy and disbelief that a far greater institution could be so close to home and overshadow them so much! I am a humble NCSU student who has been told many times my school is nothing more than a community college by these pricks. Also their admissions is the same way in all their schools med/dent/law they all are slow as hell because they believe their school is a godsend and anyone who is blessed enough to attend should wait for thou holyness! I don't care how cheap instate tuition they can have it! UNC sucks.

kls120

New

Post by kls120 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:UNC undergrad is filled with stuck up bigoted southern heritage fools who think their school is better than Harvard or Yale but who are actually southern ivy rejects. When talking to a UNC fool you must never speak of Duke or their head will explode with jealousy and disbelief that a far greater institution could be so close to home and overshadow them so much! I am a humble NCSU student who has been told many times my school is nothing more than a community college by these pricks. Also their admissions is the same way in all their schools med/dent/law they all are slow as hell because they believe their school is a godsend and anyone who is blessed enough to attend should wait for thou holyness! I don't care how cheap instate tuition they can have it! UNC sucks.
yea no wonder why u go to ncsu

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:58 pm

PDL wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:UNC undergrad is filled with stuck up bigoted southern heritage fools who think their school is better than Harvard or Yale but who are actually southern ivy rejects. When talking to a UNC fool you must never speak of Duke or their head will explode with jealousy and disbelief that a far greater institution could be so close to home and overshadow them so much! I am a humble NCSU student who has been told many times my school is nothing more than a community college by these pricks. Also their admissions is the same way in all their schools med/dent/law they all are slow as hell because they believe their school is a godsend and anyone who is blessed enough to attend should wait for thou holyness! I don't care how cheap instate tuition they can have it! UNC sucks.

Why are you on this thread?

Did you just get rejected from UNC.....AGAIN?
I'm sorry but this is what its like around UNC students http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdmYInXplY

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 pm

PDL wrote:Pretty simple question....why are you on this thread? We get it, you wish you could go to Carolina, but they keep rejecting your obviously pathetic attempts at admission.
Don't get pissed with me because unc is the only shot you have at law school its an ok school and you can always become an alcoholic!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 pm

PDL wrote:

As a Dukie, let me say that we have the same amount of respect for NCSU and UNC. 8)

Jokes aside, we had such a large class this year that we had to borrow a UNC prof, so I'd be happy to answer questions about how the two schools compare.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:22 pm

quakeroats wrote:
PDL wrote:

As a Dukie, let me say that we have the same amount of respect for NCSU and UNC. 8)

Jokes aside, we had such a large class this year that we had to borrow a UNC prof, so I'd be happy to answer questions about how the two schools compare.
I'm a Dukie too and don't really think UNC is that much better than NC St. UNC Law is not overly impressive. I visited and was not happy with facilities, class size or the staff.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”